Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 08:42   #121
BHPian

re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you can hit Poonamallee in 15 minutes and you start by 4AM, I think, you can definitely take the Vellore road.
Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty

More than steepness, the Conoor road has more traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
Murillo,
I travelled through ulundherpet mate. Leave yearly by or before 5 am. You wont regret. I do regularly aarani road through ponnamallle , but for god sake i dont know why they collecting toll for that. Its totally pathetic when compared to GST NH road.

Always prefer to go through kotagiri route. Coonor is heavy traffic and overtaking is pain. Which i felt when i returned.

Regards,
Rajesh
Quote:
Given access to GST and NH4 are equally fast, even I would recommend GST-Ulunderpet-Salem. At least while coming back he is going to hit peak traffic past Kanchi, then definitely GST should be a preferred option.
Thanks ampere and camon.

I have decided on the Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty route while climbing up and then come down via Coonor route. In that way, I get to see both the stretches. This will be my first visit to Ooty.

I am planning for a 2/3 am departure as I want to reach Ooty before noon. I can cross Poonamallee town within 15 mins of starting from my home. To reach GST, I will also have to go through Inner Ring Road toll. I have many times done Chennai-Bangalore. I also frequently do Chennai-Vellore as my native is nearby Vellore. So I am very familiar with the Chennai-Krishnagiri stretch. At present, much of the road widening work and over-bridge work along this stretch is completed. Hence, it looks like the route's going to be Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur. From Thoppur, I can drive straight towards Salem but take a diversion at Omalur before Salem. This diversion road (state highway 86) goes from Omalur via Tharamangalam and joins NH47 before Sankari. From then onwards, the route will be Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam. This way I can avoid entering Salem. From some forums, I came to know the Omalur-Sankari link road is in good condition.

Or is the Ulundurpet-Salem still better? Why venture into unknown Omalur/Sankari section! The Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty route is fixed. Now my dilemma is which route for Chennai-Bhavani.

Regards,
murillo.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 09:40   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Or is the Ulundurpet-Salem still better? Why venture into unknown Omalur/Sankari section! The Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty route is fixed. Now my dilemma is which route for Chennai-Bhavani.
GST is a good option. But not a significant differentiator if you take the Ponamallee-Kanchi traffic out of the equation. So I think you can stick to the Vellore-Krishnagiri. And given that now its a 6-lane with all the work done, its even more nicer to drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 18:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
GST is a good option. But not a significant differentiator if you take the Ponamallee-Kanchi traffic out of the equation. So I think you can stick to the Vellore-Krishnagiri. And given that now its a 6-lane with all the work done, its even more nicer to drive.
So the route is decided then:

Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Omalur-Sankari-Bhavani-Perundurai-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty

Return through same route, via Coonoor.

Thanks all.

murillo.
Old 12th March 2014, 18:41   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason as to why you wanted to avoid Salem? Since you will not be entering Salem town through NH 47, traffic will be relatively free. Alternatively, take ulundurpet route so that you can bypass even the two famous bottleneck roundabout signals at Salem. Saravana Bhavan at Sankari should be a best choice for breakfast then.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:07   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Any specific reason as to why you wanted to avoid Salem? Since you will not be entering Salem town through NH 47, traffic will be relatively free. Alternatively, take ulundurpet route so that you can bypass even the two famous bottleneck roundabout signals at Salem. Saravana Bhavan at Sankari should be a best choice for breakfast then.
The member says he can get on past Poonamallee in 15 minutes. So why get on to GST? Also yes, Salem has traffic, but its not that difficult to get on to CBE road. At best 15-20 minutes from the five roads signal as long as you don't get stuck in a jam.

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2014 at 19:09.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:28   #126
Senior - BHPian

The Kothagiri road to Ooty is the best I've ever seen in all of my hill driving. Absolutely fantastic surface with mild gradients that make getting corners a joy!

Just back from Ooty and Coimbatore last week and I still believe the Ulundurpet - Salem route is still the shortest albeit not having a 6 lane like the Krishnagiri route. 15 minutes is the time it would take to reach the GST too given the time he's starting and he can just breeze through the Chennai by-pass from Poonamallee.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:47   #127
Team-BHP Support

My suggestion is always GST option for Salem from Chennai. But since the member said he can get past Ponamallee quickly, I suggested the same.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

Thanks ampere and camon.

I have decided on the Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty route while climbing up and then come down via Coonor route. In that way, I get to see both the stretches. This will be my first visit to Ooty.

IOr is the Ulundurpet-Salem still better? Why venture into unknown Omalur/Sankari section! The Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty route is fixed. Now my dilemma is which route for Chennai-Bhavani.

Regards,
murillo.
Ulundurpet - Salem stretch is 90% complete. It's a 4 lane NH and trust me its amazing! I have driven on that road before the completion but I travelled on that stretch when I was returning from Coimbatore in a Volvo. There are diversions only in the avinashi stretch. Ulundurpet - Salem is as good as the Chennai - Trichy stretch

Cheers
Old 14th March 2014, 19:20   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Quote:
The member says he can get on past Poonamallee in 15 minutes. So why get on to GST? Also yes, Salem has traffic, but its not that difficult to get on to CBE road. At best 15-20 minutes from the five roads signal as long as you don't get stuck in a jam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The Kothagiri road to Ooty is the best I've ever seen in all of my hill driving. Absolutely fantastic surface with mild gradients that make getting corners a joy!

Just back from Ooty and Coimbatore last week and I still believe the Ulundurpet - Salem route is still the shortest albeit not having a 6 lane like the Krishnagiri route. 15 minutes is the time it would take to reach the GST too given the time he's starting and he can just breeze through the Chennai by-pass from Poonamallee.
Quote:
My suggestion is always GST option for Salem from Chennai. But since the member said he can get past Ponamallee quickly, I suggested the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Ulundurpet - Salem stretch is 90% complete. It's a 4 lane NH and trust me its amazing! I have driven on that road before the completion but I travelled on that stretch when I was returning from Coimbatore in a Volvo. There are diversions only in the avinashi stretch. Ulundurpet - Salem is as good as the Chennai - Trichy stretch

Cheers
If it does not enter Salem, then Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Ooty is a good option, too. As per Google Maps, it is the shortest route to Ooty from Chennai. I feel I can also try this. It is just that I am more familiar with the Krishnagiri stretch, having driven numerous times to Vellore and Bangalore - and for most stretch, it has become a 6-laner. I read somewhere that private buses and cabs going from Chennai to Coimbatore usually take the Krishnagiri-Bhavani route. For people living in city southern side, GST will be the natural course; for people put up at city central and north, via Krishnagiri is a good option.

My son's exams got over and he is on vacation - dates are being finalized around last week of this month.

Cheers.
murillo.

Last edited by murillo : 14th March 2014 at 19:23.
Old 27th March 2014, 16:24   #130
BHPian

Did the chennai Ooty 10 days back. Was an unplanned night ride. Took the chengulput ulundurpet salem annur mettupalayam coonoor ooty up. (I have never done this route. KPN always does that route)Very less traffic in this route. Road surface is very good. some segments without median but a very wide road. Mettupalayam coonoor was a mistake, I rarely take this route. Road surface is in a very bad condition. I took the usual kotagiri mettupalayam route to get back to chennai.

Last edited by YaeJay : 27th March 2014 at 16:25.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 21:11   #131
BHPian

^^
We went for Ooty vacation last week.

We took the Chennai, Ulundurpet, Salem, Mettupalayam, Kotagiri, Ooty route, both going and coming back. Totally ten tolls (including one toll of Chennai inner ring road). Total toll cost is Rs. 428/- one way (including inner ring road toll of Rs. 25/-). Total distance is 550 kms one way. Total trip reading: 1,261 kms. Petrol consumed: 58 litres. FE is 21.7 km/l.

Road is good throughout. Chennai-Ulundurpet section had mild truck traffic in early morning. Ulundurpet-Salem-Avinashi stretch has less traffic. We didn't enter Avinashi. We just went under a bridge, took the right turn, travelled through a village road for half kilometer and reached the Mettupalayam junction.

Places seen:
Rose garden
Ooty Nilgris train journey to/from Coonoor
Thread garden
Ooty lake/boat ride
Tea factory
Botanical garden
7th mile shooting spot
9th mile shooting spot
Pykara dam/boat house
Pykara waterfalls
Glenmorgan
Emerald dam
Avlanche dam

Purchased: home-made chocolates, strong tea, green tea, eucalyptus oil, spices, fruits, and vegetables from Ooty farmers' market.

Thanks all members for your route suggestions.

Regards,
murillo.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 21:39   #132
BHPian

Hello friends.
Driving from Chennai to Coonoor this coming Saturday. I'm wondering whether we should take the Vellore- Krishnagiri- Salem route or the Ulundurpet- Salem route. I can cross Poonamalle in 30 mins from Departure. Planning a 3.30AM departure. Please suggest the better route. Traveling with family, including my 1+ year old daughter. Please also suggest COCO pumps and a good breakfast stop.
Thanks!

Last edited by misguidedmisile : 5th April 2015 at 21:39. Reason: specified which Saturday
Old 5th April 2015, 23:11   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Hello friends.
Driving from Chennai to Coonoor this coming Saturday. I'm wondering whether we should take the Vellore- Krishnagiri- Salem route or the Ulundurpet- Salem route. I can cross Poonamalle in 30 mins from Departure. Planning a 3.30AM departure. Please suggest the better route. Traveling with family, including my 1+ year old daughter. Please also suggest COCO pumps and a good breakfast stop.
Thanks!
If NH4 is close to your location, by all means take that route. Its now much better. Barring a few rough patches around Sriperumbudur/Kanchi, its fantastic to drive. Sep Vellore-Krishangiri. Had it been some months earlier, would have suggested Ulundurpet.

A 3:30 AM means you should be past Krishnagiri by 6:30. There is a Saravana Bhavan right after you turn on NH7. That should be a good place for breakfast.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:41   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Hello friends.
Thanks!
I had completed a round trip to Coimbatore last Good Friday week end! I had taken the Ulundurpet route for onward and Krishnagiri for return. Both routes are good and a 3.30 am start should not pose any problem on both routes. Depending on which side of the city you are in, you may take the route which is closer to your starting point. If breakfast at 6.30 am sounds a bit too early, you may have it at A2B at Thoppur at around 8 am. On the GST route, you may have it at either of the two outlets of Sree Saravana Bhavan near Salem and Sangagiri. You may reach Salem around 8.30 - 9.00 am.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:13   #135
BHPian

^^To add to the above, you also have a brand new A2B operational from December just when you exit Salem. If you are taking the Krishnagiri route, just after you exit to Coimbatore( the huge round flyover!), you can spot it on your left. There is a Polar Bear Ice cream outlet attached to it as well.

The famous Ratna Cafe is also in Salem now, although in the city near the bus stand. Anyone interested in their sambar idlis can suit themselves!

Last edited by luvurride : 6th April 2015 at 10:15.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks