Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 10:20   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
^^To add to the above, you also have a brand new A2B operational from December just when you exit Salem. If you are taking the Krishnagiri route, just after you exit to Coimbatore( the huge round flyover!), you can spot it on your left. There is a Polar Bear Ice cream outlet attached to it as well.
+1 I will vouch for this. Awesome place to break (Along with Polar Bear ice cream ). I may be a bit too late for breakfast.

The best part is : Its not a highway outlet. It looks like a proper fine dine.
Old 7th April 2015, 08:23   #137
BHPian

I run a retirement village at mettupalayam and live at chennai. So have to do the chennai mettupalayam trip every ten days and the coonoor trip twice a month. In both the routes, getting out of chennai is the irritant. Once you are at Kanchipuram or Chengalpet traffic eases. But in my opinion the Ulundurpet route is way better than the other route.. I average 6.30 mins to 7 hours chennai to mettupalayam and half an hour extra on the return. But between gobi and mettupalayam I prefer to take a detour via the state routes of andhiyur and satyamangalam. This is because there are a couple of awesome kuzhipaniyaram shops in andhiyur. Another thing that I have found of late, the number of so called bakeries has increased manifold. On more than one occasion we have found very old and even mouldy stuff being sold. So watch out.

From Mettupalayam to Coonoor though the direct route is shorter the kotagiri route is better and faster and if you know the turnoff at aravenu you can save about 10 kms and avoid the kotagiri town totally.
psathya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:42   #138
BHPian

Satya, Ampere, Krish, luvurride, thanks so much guys! Makes planning for a trip way more fun and easy this way!
Cheers,
Varun
Old 7th April 2015, 15:24   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
From Mettupalayam to Coonoor though the direct route is shorter the kotagiri route is better and faster and if you know the turnoff at aravenu you can save about 10 kms and avoid the kotagiri town totally.
I did this Aravenu-Attadi-Sims Park-Coonoor last week and my suggestion is not take this route to reach Coonoor as the Road (rather absence of motorable tarmac) is in pathetic condition. And with a One year old kid to be taken care of, I would not suggest this route as it is deserted for most part!
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 21:35   #140
BHPian

Hello Guys, I just returned from Coonoor this evening. On my way to Coonoor, i took Krishnagiri- Salem- Avinashi- Mettupalayam route.

Just a caution to members taking this route in future, if you've done this route a long time ago, you will most probably miss the Avinashi exit from the Salem- Coimbatore road. There is NO sign board indicating that you need to take the exit for Avinashi. I missed it and had to come back a significant distance. I think GPS, GMaps might help.
Cheers,
Old 15th April 2015, 13:35   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
There is NO sign board indicating that you need to take the exit for Avinashi. I missed it and had to come back a significant distance. I think GPS, GMaps might help.
Cheers,
This is a known problem. The way to remember is look out for a small Saravana Bhavan on to your right. And then you go over a flyover. At the end of it there is a small board (barely visible) indicating Tiruppur/Palladam (or Mangalam).

Take that exit. The first big road come across is the Tiruppur SH. Take that and go below the 4-lane flyover to eneter Avinashi town.

Signboards should be there soon. Its just a matter of time I guess.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I did this Aravenu-Attadi-Sims Park-Coonoor last week and my suggestion is not take this route to reach Coonoor as the Road (rather absence of motorable tarmac) is in pathetic condition. And with a One year old kid to be taken care of, I would not suggest this route as it is deserted for most part!
Which is the best road option to commute by car from Metupalayam to Coonoor??
Old 15th April 2015, 14:46   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is there an option available other than the highway? I dont think there is any. For Ooty yes, you can go via Kotagiri.
Old 15th April 2015, 15:10   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Time tested route of Mettupalayam-Burliyar-Glendale-Coonoor. On the Kotagiri route, you will have to take left turn at Aravenu to go via Attadi-Sims Park-Coonoor. But in all probability, chances are high that one may miss this turn as this is a very narrow street! As I had already informed, for a family/leisure drive, this route is not suggested as almost 90% of this 15 km stretch is saddled with potholes and may test your nerves! And most of the route is deserted with no souls or shops en-route.

If you are adventurous type and are not accompanied by your family, then you may try a very long Karamadai-Velliangadu-Mulli-Manjoor-Koderi-Glendale route. This is scenic, lonely, but a very long route though. One has to pass through a forest check post near Mulli.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 14:23   #145
BHPian

Hello,

Can someone suggest the best route from Chennai to Coonoor?

a) Ramapuram - Sriperumbudur - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Mettupalayam - Coonoor
b) Ramapuram - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi - Mettupalayam - Coonoor

I would be travelling in my Ertiga with 4 adults and 1 kid.

I am aware that the stretch between Sriperumbudur to Kancheepuram is not that good.
Old 27th April 2015, 16:39   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
a) Ramapuram - Sriperumbudur - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Mettupalayam - Coonoor
b) Ramapuram - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi - Mettupalayam - Coonoor
Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettlupalayam-Conoor. Thats a better option.

Quote:
I am aware that the stretch between Sriperumbudur to Kancheepuram is not that good.
Its now improved and is much better.
Old 27th April 2015, 17:36   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettlupalayam-Conoor. Thats a better option.

Its now improved and is much better.

Have they relaid the mettupalayam- coonoor segment? It was extremely potholed. I was riding most of the night from chennai and I was cursing myself for deviating from my usual Kotagiri route. Never been on that side of the hills since then. Average speed drop to a walking pace and overtaking is almost impossible, not my cup of tea after a few hours of riding.

Ampere you been smoking with that dusty? we are not baja material!

But please keep updating as always!
Old 27th April 2015, 17:51   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Have they relaid the mettupalayam- coonoor segment? It was extremely potholed.
Did this segment in early April and the route was motorable with no visible potholes or damages to the tarmac!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 17:57   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Have they relaid the mettupalayam- coonoor segment?
Ampere you been smoking with that dusty? we are not baja material!

But please keep updating as always!

The route which I meant has improved is Chennai-Sriperumubdur-Kanchi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 18:25   #150
BHPian

Hi Guys, Please let me know which is the best route to Koodalur from Chennai. I've heard banglore route is good and scenically than other routes.

I'll be going along with my family, So the good (less challenging) routes preferred.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks