Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 13:24   #211

Re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

I recently did Palakkad - Ooty and took the Conoor route both ways. I recommend the Conoor route anyday because it is shorter and the driveability is not any way more taxing than Kotagiri route.

Due to the flyover work happening near Karamadai, we took the longer Kaniyur - Annur route to Mettupalayam. It is much faster and easier to drive than through Coimbatore. The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2016, 13:58   #212
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?
I think one option is this:
After you exit L&T byepass, turn left into Avinashi road, go up to the signal near the Coimbatore airport turn off. Here, you can turn right and take NH209 to Annur.
Old 6th June 2016, 18:58   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
Due to the flyover work happening near Karamadai, we took the longer Kaniyur - Annur route to Mettupalayam. It is much faster and easier to drive than through Coimbatore. The only pain point is the high Kaniyur toll amount. Is there a way to bye pass this toll booth since we need to go off the highway towards Annur three kilometers after the toll booth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think one option is this:
After you exit L&T byepass, turn left into Avinashi road, go up to the signal near the Coimbatore airport turn off. Here, you can turn right and take NH209 to Annur.
I suppose you're referring to the road from CBE airport junction on Avinashi road which hits NH209 at Kurumbapalayam ? That route takes about 10-15 minutes extra compared to the route via Karumathampatty-Annur, mainly because the traffic on the CBE airport-Kurumbapalayam section is much higher than that on SH165, and not very conducive to overtaking (though the road condition is fairly good).

However it does save you Rs 85 in tolls that you're charged for driving on 10 kms of 6 lane road from L&T bypass exit to Karumathampatty.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:16   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I suppose you're referring to the road from CBE airport junction on Avinashi road which hits NH209 at Kurumbapalayam ? That route takes about 10-15 minutes extra compared to the route via Karumathampatty-Annur...
Yes, that route might take more time. Has anyone tried MD 713 Thennampalayam - Kittampalayam to by-pass the Kanniyur toll? Google maps show its only 11 kms and not too much of a detour.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:49   #215
BHPian

Hi, can any one advise if mettupalayam kotagiri Ooty road is one way only and if so which direction?
Old 4th September 2017, 16:15   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Hi, can any one advise if mettupalayam kotagiri Ooty road is one way only and if so which direction?
Unless something has changed very recently, it is a 2 way road and has been like that as far as I know.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 16:20   #217
BHPian

From what I understand, it was one way only from Ooty to Mettupalayam to clear the tourist rush, this was a few months back. So I was wondering, i am going tomorrow to Ooty, and came to know if this today.
Old 4th September 2017, 17:30   #218
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Unless something has changed very recently, it is a 2 way road and has been like that as far as I know.
The Kotagiri road is narrow and possible it is made one way during holidays when there is heavy tourist traffic in and around Ooty.

The Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty is the NH that is 2 way.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 22:16   #219
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Conoor last week. Followed Google maps and took the route that allowed me to stay on NH the longest. Bypassed Avinashi, then went to Annur, Mettupalayam and Conoor. The roads are in good condition.Watch out for tipper lorries on the ghats.
Old 5th December 2017, 16:49   #220
BHPian

Gentlemen, let me know the best route to Ooty from Kovai. Anyone did Mettupalayam - Kotagiri recently? Or is it a better idea to stick to the usual Coonnoor route? Planning a trip to Masinagudi for Christmas vacation.
Old 5th December 2017, 17:17   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Gentlemen, let me know the best route to Ooty from Kovai. Anyone did Mettupalayam - Kotagiri recently? Or is it a better idea to stick to the usual Coonnoor route? Planning a trip to Masinagudi for Christmas vacation.
Hi,
I did the Mettupalayam>Kotagiri>Ooty stretch in September, and it was a cool ride. The roads are good and the traffic was minimal. I am going to Ooty next week and intend to do the same stretch, so if your travel plans are after that, I can revert, if any major changes have taken place.
Old 5th December 2017, 17:18   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday a friend who came from Ooty told me that there is a road blockage in between Coonoor and Mattupalayam road due to land slide. It may have been cleared by now. You may be better off going by the Kotagiri route.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:43   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Hi,
I did the Mettupalayam>Kotagiri>Ooty stretch in September, and it was a cool ride. The roads are good and the traffic was minimal. I am going to Ooty next week and intend to do the same stretch, so if your travel plans are after that, I can revert, if any major changes have taken place.
Sure, that may help. My trip is planned for Christmas.
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 19:04   #224
BHPian

Quote:
You could also consider doing Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Masinagudi if interested. Yes, traffic could be a deterrent at times between Bangalore-Mysore, but might take about the same time or less considering the traffic snarls at the ghats during vacation. You get the added advantage of driving through Bandipur Reserve. https://goo.gl/maps/4eTq5YpMUpF2
Old 7th December 2017, 16:12   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
You could also consider doing Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Masinagudi if interested. Yes, traffic could be a deterrent at times between Bangalore-Mysore, but might take about the same time or less considering the traffic snarls at the ghats during vacation. You get the added advantage of driving through Bandipur Reserve. https://goo.gl/maps/4eTq5YpMUpF2
Thank you for the suggestion mate. But I can't try this route this time as we have friends from southern TN joining too & the plan is to meetup @ Coimbatore. Having said that, I'm still interested to drive through the Bandipur Reserve as I've heard a lot about this route. So, may do a short trip from Masinagudi to Bandipur or a little beyond that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks