Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 01:23   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I think the regular route via Calicut (byepass) would be the best.
(Trichur-Kecheri-Perumbilavu-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-Calicut byepass-Malaparambu-Thamarassery-Kalpetta).
Roads are in very good shape all through. Going via Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode is likely to be slower since
the roads are narrower and traffic density higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Ampere, I second Kala. Even I think the regular road would be better. ie, Kottayam -
Cochin - Angamaly - Thissur - Kecheri - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Calicut (By pass) - Thamaraserry - Vythiri

Thanks guys for correcting. I was of opinion that the regular route via Calicut bypass would be traffc
prone and hence had suggested the other option, which though narrow, I thought would have lesser traffic.

But looks like that is not the case.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks guys for correcting. I was of opinion that the regular route via Calicut bypass would be traffc
prone and hence had suggested the other option, which though narrow, I thought would have lesser traffic.

But looks like that is not the case.
Amp, you are also correct but not perfectly correct and let me clarify a bit here

Unlike many cities in India, Calicut is blessed with 2 functional bye-pass roads, one is called City bye-pass or Mini bye-pass road that is like, say Bangalore's ORR (e.g.between Madiwala and Kengeri). This is a relatively free but still slower due to overlapping city suburb traffic and till about 3-4 years back, this was the "regular"/default Calicut bye-pass . The other one which is relatively newer one is the NH-17 bye-pass that starts near Ramanattukara (12 kms from city center) in the southern side and runs beyond the periphery of Calicut city like, say NICE Road (e.g. again between Madiwala and Kengeri). This is a high-speed racing stretch with minimal traffic in the current status with just a toll booth for the bridge across Chaliyar (next to Kadavu Resorts) and a couple of traffic signal junctions (where it crosses Medical College Road and then NH-212).

And a 3rd bye-pass road is in the making and progressing well, atleast in parts now. This is the road parallel to the sea-shore and overlaps with the current beach road. This is already 4L for a long stretch from Kuttichira in the southern part of the city almost upto the Vengali railway gate/ROB where it joins NH-17 just before Elathur in the northern side. Eventually, this becomes part of the coastal highway and is supposed to reduce a distance of about 30kms between Ernakulam & Calicut and about 40 kms between Ernakulam & Kannur/Mangalore.

Last edited by ajithbr : 12th April 2012 at 20:02.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best option:

Kottayam-Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-Choondal-Kecheri-Pannithadam-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery-Vythri
From Trichur/Guruvayur towards Nilambur, Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri is a good option when Pattambi/Perinthalmanna route is NOT in good condition.

For someone familiar too, Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery would be relatively easy to follow with only a marginal savings in time, say during Sabarimala season or so when NH-17 witnesses heavy seasonal traffic.
Old 20th April 2012, 13:22   #94
BHPian

I am planning to go to Kalpetta via Ernakulam. As discussed in this thread, I guess, it is better to take Cochin - Thrissur - Kecheri - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Calicut (By pass) - Thamaraserry - Vythiri - Kalpetta.
Which are the NHs we take along this route? Also can someone give a fair idea of distance between these towns / cities? Also give an idea about good restaurants along the way.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, before leaving bangalore for delhi, a few friends of mine had planned for a weekend trip to Wayanad (2 nights - 3 days). So, have a few questions:

1. Best route to reach Kalpetta from Bangalore. This is what I could get from GMap. Is this the ideal route?
Bangalore > Mysore >Nanjangud > Begur > Gundlupet > Maddur > Muthanga > Sultan Bathery > Kalpetta

2. We are 6 people and would be going in 2 cars. I'll be with my Civic. How are the road conditions and traffic? We plan to leave by 4 AM in the morning from Bangalore and get ahead of the Bangalore traffic.

3. We are still looking for a place to stay. Still undecided if we should go for resorts or homestay. I did find some places - Crescent Residency, Rain Country Resorts and Tropical ForRest HomeStays. Any other suggestions? As we are large group (6 people and 2 yr old baby), a duplex with 2 bedrooms or bangalow would just do too.

4. How is the climate there at this point of time? I meant, is it hot and humid? Would AC rooms be advisable?

5. We plan to visit the followings: Pookod lake, Edakkal caves, Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, Chembara Peak, Soojippara Falls, Sunrise valley.
What will we be missing? We have 2 whole days for this purpose. And we are driving back the 3rd day (after lunch) and plan to reach Bangalore by 6-7 PM.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2012, 16:06   #96
Team-BHP Support

Another route is the one via Kanakpura road. Bangalore kanakpura kollegal chamarajanagar gundlupet and there on to Kerala. You totally avoid Mysore this way.
Old 22nd April 2012, 21:17   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hi Guys, before leaving bangalore for delhi, a few friends of mine had planned for a weekend trip to Wayanad (2 nights - 3 days). So, have a few questions:

1. Best route to reach Kalpetta from Bangalore. This is what I could get from GMap. Is this the ideal route?
Bangalore > Mysore >Nanjangud > Begur > Gundlupet > Maddur > Muthanga > Sultan Bathery > Kalpetta

2. We are 6 people and would be going in 2 cars. I'll be with my Civic. How are the road conditions and traffic? We plan to leave by 4 AM in the morning from Bangalore and get ahead of the Bangalore traffic.

3. We are still looking for a place to stay. Still undecided if we should go for resorts or homestay. I did find some places - Crescent Residency, Rain Country Resorts and Tropical ForRest HomeStays. Any other suggestions? As we are large group (6 people and 2 yr old baby), a duplex with 2 bedrooms or bangalow would just do too.

4. How is the climate there at this point of time? I meant, is it hot and humid? Would AC rooms be advisable?

5. We plan to visit the followings: Pookod lake, Edakkal caves, Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, Chembara Peak, Soojippara Falls, Sunrise valley.
What will we be missing? We have 2 whole days for this purpose. And we are driving back the 3rd day (after lunch) and plan to reach Bangalore by 6-7 PM.

Cheers
Take Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamarajanagar - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta. Just came back from a personal visit to Gundlupet. I followed the same as above till Gundlupet. Road condition reamins excellent except for patches after Malavalli and before Kollegal. You can see previous posts of mine and Kala. Driving time from Bangalore (Kanakapura Road junction on NICE road) to Gundlupet - 3 Hrs - non stop.

Started at 9 AM on Saturday and reached Gundlupet at 12 Noon while returning left Gundlupet at 11.30 AM Noon today and was back at 2.30 PM.

Gundlupet to Kalpetta should not take more than 1.30 hrs.

I would recommend home stays. Glenora is excellent choice. Take a look at my TL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-weekend.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-malnad.html

Rain country is another excellent choice.

Summer rains have started in the region and the forest have turned greener. Expect humid and warm days and chilly and pleasnt evenings. Good time to go.

Take a look at this website which has good information on Wyanad

http://www.wayanad.org/
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 21:59   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What will we be missing? We have 2 whole days for this purpose.

Pookot lake and Soochippara falls are quick visits and shouldn't take much time. They are the typical touristy destinations and will be crowded though, so you might get delayed if you want boating at Pookot lake. If not, both are quick see-and-depart places. However, Edakkal caves will take half a day, say morning to afternoon. Ditto with Chembara peak - you have to trek up Chembara peak and that is also at least half a day's time.

Attaching a map I had used on one of my earlier visits to Wayanad. Perhaps it could be useful for you to club closeby places and plan the itinerary.

Route query to Wayanad-wayanadmap.png

What you will be missing - Try to add Kuruva island and/or Banasura Sagar dam to the plan. They are also very popular spots in Wayanad.

Quote:
And we are driving back the 3rd day (after lunch) and plan to reach Bangalore by 6-7 PM.
I think that will be too late. If you prefer avoiding night driving, start after breakfast by around 10am or so. The traffic on mysore road is really horrible on sunday evenings/nights and is not worth the trouble at all. By the way, the total distance from Wayanad to Bangalore is ~300+ km and by starting after lunch, you will be reaching Bangalore only around midnight, considering Mysore road traffic.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd April 2012 at 22:06.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, before leaving bangalore for delhi, a few friends of mine had planned for a weekend trip to Wayanad (2 nights - 3 days). What will we be missing? We have 2 whole days for this purpose. And we are driving back the 3rd day (after lunch) and plan to reach Bangalore by 6-7 PM.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
so you might get delayed if you want boating at Pookot lake. If not, both are quick see-and-depart places. However, Edakkal caves will take half a day, say morning to afternoon. Ditto with Chembara peak - you have to trek up Chembara peak and that is also at least half a day's time.

What you will be missing - Try to add Kuruva island and/or Banasura Sagar dam to the plan. They are also very popular spots in Wayanad.

I think that will be too late. If you prefer avoiding night driving, start after breakfast by around 10am or so. The traffic on mysore road is really horrible on sunday evenings/nights and is not worth the trouble at all. By the way, the total distance from Wayanad to Bangalore is ~300+ km and by starting after lunch, you will be reaching Bangalore only around midnight, considering Mysore road traffic.

Have a great trip!
Things not to be misssed in Wayanad - Pookat lake, Soojipara falls, Meenmutty falls, Banasura dam, Kuruva dweep.

As Karthik rightly says, Pookat will be crowded during the day. The trick is to go there early in the morning - i think they open at 7 AM - when no one is there - people don't get up early while on vacation - when the lake is pristine with mist all around and lovely.

Kuruva dweep and Banasura can be clubbed. Banasura closes at 6 PM. Keep that in mind.

Edakkal requires trekking - easy one - and one should keep minimum of three and half hours for this. You can club Edakkal with soojipara.

Chembra is ruled out since you have only two days.

You can reach bangalore comfortably by 8.30 PM if you leave around 2.30PM and take the road via Chamarajnagar as mentioned above and not come via regular Bangalore - Mysore road.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:50   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And we are driving back the 3rd day (after lunch) and plan to reach Bangalore by 6-7 PM.

Cheers
For a 4am start, I would recommend sticking to the standard Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjungud-Gundlepet route. You can be at Kalpetta by 10am with a 30-45 min break (based on my trip a couple of weeks back when I left at 4.15 and crossed Kalpetta by 10.10). On the return trip, coming via Kollegal-Kanakpura will help considering the Mysore-Bangalore traffic. Even this way I think you will need around 5-6 hrs from Kalpetta to NICE road jn. Via the usual Mysore route it will probably take around 7-8 hrs.
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
For a 4am start, I would recommend sticking to the standard Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjungud-Gundlepet route. You can be at Kalpetta by 10am with a 30-45 min break (based on my trip a couple of weeks back when I left at 4.15 and crossed Kalpetta by 10.10). On the return trip, coming via Kollegal-Kanakpura will help considering the Mysore-Bangalore traffic. Even this way I think you will need around 5-6 hrs from Kalpetta to NICE road jn. Via the usual Mysore route it will probably take around 7-8 hrs.
I've been travelling regularly between Kalpetta and Bangalore through the NH209 - Gundlupet route for the past 18-20 months, and my average driving time has been around 4 hrs 30 minutes between NICE Road/kanakapura Rd junction and Kalpetta. This is with reasonably sedate driving, almost never exceeding 120 kmph. Could be about 15 minutes less if you're travelling early in the morning, 15 minutes more when I'm returning in the night.

Even for a 4 AM start, I'd recommend the same route anyday. You should be in Gundlupet before 7 AM, which means you wouldn't probably looking for a posh place for breakfast before that (which is perhaps the only reason one would want to try SH17)
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:26   #102
BHPian

Thanks for this info @kala @ fauji

I am planning to travel the first week of May to wayanad via the route listed by you. I have a 3 year old hence may not be able to travel so early in morning. Planning to start bangalore around 7AM, take NICE road to kanakpura Jn.

Could you suggest a decent place for breakfast enroute. Are there any decent places in kanakpura?
Old 24th April 2012, 08:46   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Thanks for this info @kala @ fauji

I am planning to travel the first week of May to wayanad via the route listed by you. I have a 3 year old hence may not be able to travel so early in morning. Planning to start bangalore around 7AM, take NICE road to kanakpura Jn.

Could you suggest a decent place for breakfast enroute. Are there any decent places in kanakpura?
There is a decent looking restaurant named Gokula in Kanakapura, but I've never been able to figure out what time they open for breakfast (and whether they serve breakfast at all). The last attempt was at 7:45 AM on 7th of this month, and they were closed even at that time.

There aren't any decent ones after Kanakapura till you reach Kollegal where you have Nandini and Annapoorna near the bus stand - the former right on the highway on the left hand side, and the latter about 100 meters away from the NH (you need to take the right turn next to the bus stand. Narrow road, but they have parking in front of the restaurant)

If those too late for you, there's a small Darshini style restaurant on the LHS of the road just before Harohalli (before Kanakapura) that serves OK breakfast. Don't recall the name of the place, but it comes immediately after a petrol bunk (I think Indian Oil) and is about 21 kms from the NICE road junction.

And if you don't mind waiting a bit, there's Hotel Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar which is supposed to be a quality one. I haven't been there, but heard good reports about it here.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 10:10   #104
BHPian

Thanks it helps....

One last Q : how is the traffic from bangalore to kanakpura during weekday. Plan is to start on a friday morning.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:01   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Thanks it helps....

One last Q : how is the traffic from bangalore to kanakpura during weekday. Plan is to start on a friday morning.
You will have a very good and pleasnt drive if you can leave by 7 AM. If you get delayed, the traffic is more till Kaggalipura - Art of living - after which it eases out. No worries. Have a safe drive.

You can have BF at Gokula in Kanakapura which is decent. Else, the next good hotel will be in Kollegala which is Annapoorna.

Most Viewed