Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:17   #166
BHPian

re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Folks, I plan to do a trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore. Here is the plan. Please comment if you feel amends are needed . Suggestions very welcome. I am not familiar with road conditions in Gujarat/Rajasthan. Will be travelling with parents, wife and 2 kids. Vehicle - Innova

1) 3rd April - Leave Bangalore early morning and reach Navi Mumbai by evening (980 kms). Have extensively travelled this route (latest in January) so familiarity is not an issue.
2) 4th APril - Navi Mumbai to Vadodara (430 kms). Stay at Vadodara
3) 5th April - Vadodara to Udaipur (300 kms) . stay at Udaipur
4) 7th april - Udaipur to ajmer via Chittorgarh (325 kms) . Stay in Ajmer
5) 8th April - Ajmer to Ranthambhore via pushkar (300 kms)
6) 9th April- Safari at Ranthambhore and leave for Jaipur (150 kms) . Stay at jaipur
7) 11th April - Jaipur to Bikaner (335 kms) . Stay at bikaner
8) 13th April - Bikaner to Jaisalmer via Pokhran (330 kms) . Stay at Jaisalmer
9) 15th April - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur (300 kms) - Stay at Jaisalmer
10) 17th April - Jodhpur to Mumbai (980 kms) / Pune (1100 kms approx) - Stay the night
11) 18th April - Mumbai/Pune to Bangalore.
Old 2nd February 2015, 22:16   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Folks, I plan to do a trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore. Here is the plan. Please comment if you feel amends are needed . Suggestions very welcome. I am not familiar with road conditions in Gujarat/Rajasthan. Will be travelling with parents, wife and 2 kids. Vehicle - Innova
In my opinion its too tight. You don't have any breather even for a day to relax. Its going to be extremely packed schedule with LOTS of driving.

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2015 at 00:58.
Old 3rd February 2015, 04:22   #168
BHPian

Quote:

1) 3rd April - Leave Bangalore early morning and reach Navi Mumbai by evening (980 kms). Have extensively travelled this route (latest in January) so familiarity is not an issue.
6) 9th April- Safari at Ranthambhore and leave for Jaipur (150 kms) . Stay at jaipur
10) 17th April - Jodhpur to Mumbai (980 kms) / Pune (1100 kms approx) - Stay the night
I second this. It appears to be a very tight schedule, where experience of a relaxed holiday and driving fun is mixed. As with several other Rajasthan threads, it looks like doing Rajasthan in one visit is definitely a tough task to attain. You might cut down a destination or two or change timings.

However, for the second day, any specific reason why only Navi Mumbai to Vadodara? You can easily reach Udaipur and start the Rajasthan experience a day early. BTW, please refer Mumbai - Delhi route official thread where Vadodara - Godhra - Modasa - Udaipur route has been discussed in detail. Google Maps might show up either Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar route or another Modasa route that is a single carriageway and the discussion in the Mumbai-Delhi thread would help you plan better. Navi Mumbai - Udaipur is easily doable in a day.

Return from Jodhpur to Mumbai/Pune looks very ambitious considering you are traveling with family on board. AFAIK, Jodhpur to Udaipur is still 2-laned and might reduce your speed. Plus, the unpredictable traffic at Narmada bridge crossing (in between Vadodara - Surat) would consume more time and might tire a bit in case there is a long jam.
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:29   #169
BHPian

Quote:

As already suggested, you can easily club day 2 & 3 in a day unless you have a specific reason to halt at Vadodara. Road all the way till Udaipur is excellent. Even the Narmada bridge is not much of an issue any more. Most of the time, it is open both ways.

Udaipur to Chittorgarh is excellent road but not many good hotels enroute. You will need atleast 3-4 hrs to see the fort. My experience with Rajasthan roads are not very pleasant and so i am not sure about the driving time from Chittorgarh to Ajmer via Bhilwara. Any ways, it will be almost E0D when you reach Ajmer. Ideally you will need atleast 1 day to visit ajmer and pushkar (14 km from ajmer). Even on a fast track, I dont think you will be able to leave Ajmer before 2.00pm-ish.

Ajmer - Ranthambore: which route do you plan to take? during our trip in Oct, we were told that the nasirabad-kekri-tonk- uniara route is not in good condition. Instead we took the ranthambore-lalsot-chaksu-jaipur(bypass)-ajmer route. Much better road and we could maintain a decent speed. It still took us 6 hrs to reach Ajmer.

Good luck with your trip and have a great time!
Old 5th February 2015, 10:16   #170
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I am planning to do a road trip from Bangalore to Jaipur in my car. Dates are not yet fixed but tentatively around March 20-April 10, 2015.

If someone (passionate, enthusiastic and positive) wants to join me on the same can please PM me and we can discuss further.

Thanks.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:22   #171
BHPian

I finally did my trip in April with suggested changes. Will be writing a detailed report soon.

2) 4th APril - Navi Mumbai to Ahmedabad
3) 5th April - Ahmedabad to Udaipur . stay at Udaipur
10) 17th April - Jodhpur to Nagpur- Stay the night
11) 20th April - Nagpur to Bangalore.
Wanderer78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 19:41   #172
BHPian

We are planning a road trip from Bangalore to Rajasthan in October 2015. I am looking forward to inputs on schedule feasibility, choice of places to visit and recommended accommodations with secure parking ( ~3- 4K INR/night, probably Udaipur may need a bit more)

The first draft of the plan is as follows :-

Day-1 : Bangalore to Mumbai
Day-2 : Mumbai to Udaipur
Day-3 : Udaipur Stay
Day-4 : Udaipur to Jaisalmer
Day 5 : Jaisalmer Stay
Day 6 : Jaisalmer to Jodhpur
Day 7 : Jodhpur Stay
Day 8 : Jodhpur to Mumbai
Day 9 : Mumbai Stay
Day 10 : Mumbai to Bangalore

The destinations chosen are popular ones as this will be our first visit. Not yet researched on how to add in Mount Abu, Ajmer, Pushkar, Chhitorgarh etc in such a small duration. So, suggestions to skip or add places are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:47   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Day-2 : Mumbai to Udaipur
Day-3 : Udaipur Stay

The destinations chosen are popular ones as this will be our first visit. Not yet researched on how to add in Mount Abu, Ajmer, Pushkar, Chhitorgarh etc in such a small duration. So, suggestions to skip or add places are very welcome.
It is pretty simple. You on Day-2 - It will be Mumbai - Ahmedabad Ring Road - Mehasana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Mount Abu.

You can halt here for the night instead of Udaipur.

From here Udaipur will be mere 2.5-3 hours.

Ahmedabad to Mehsana (70 kms) is a good L&T 4 lane tolled highway. Mehsana and Palanpur have now got all the Railway overbridges done.

Beyond Palanpur till Abu Road its a beautiful 4 lane highway taking you through the Aravalis.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 23:18   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is pretty simple. You on Day-2 - It will be Mumbai - Ahmedabad Ring Road - Mehasana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Mount Abu.

You can halt here for the night instead of Udaipur.

Thanks. Another alternate option I am considering is as follows :
https://goo.gl/maps/Xw3XP

Any inputs on suitable hotels?
Old 29th June 2015, 23:25   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Thanks. Another alternate option I am considering is as follows :
https://goo.gl/maps/Xw3XP
I think the better route would be if you cover Udaipur right at the end. As Parag said, you can reach Mount Abu on the second day. Instead of criss-crossing on your way, better to get a ring so that you cover one place and don't have to come back or pass through the same area on your trip again. Also, when you reach Mumbai, it is better to stay on the outskirts than go inside the city so you can get a move on quickly on day 2.

Route Here
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 23:08   #176
BHPian

Hi BHPians!

We are planning a trip across Rajasthan during the 2nd week of September.
We've previously covered Jaipur multiple times and Udaipur once as well.
So we want to concentrate on Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Mount Abu - Route Map Here

Below is the itinerary that we are planning to do. Please me know the feasibility of the same.

September 06 2015, Sunday - Day 1:
6:00 - Flight from Bangalore to Jaipur.
8:30 - Reach Jaipur
10:00 - Rent a Myles car from CarzOnRent from Mirza Ismail Road, near Railway station.
11:00 - Leave from Jaipur towards Jaisalmer after Breakfast - Jaipur to Jaisalmer Route - How is condition of this route? I have no issues with the distance of 550 kms. Any good places to have lunch in between?
20:00 - Reach Jaisalmer and check in to a hotel - Any suggestions for good 3-4 star hotels. Check out the fort by night.

September 07, Monday - Day 2:
08:00 - Fort by day, Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Bada Bagh, Gadisar Lake, Local shopping,
16:30 - Sam Sand Dunes for sunset, still deciding if we want to stay at the dunes for the night or come back to Jaisalmer for the night - Suggestions welcome.

September 08, Tuesday - Day 3:

5:00 - Sam Sand Dunes for sunrise. Some shopping in the fort area later in the day. Suggestions welcome for any other things to do in Jaisalmer on this day

September 09, Wednesday - Day 4:
8:00 - Start from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur - If there is nothing to do in Jaisalmer on 8th Evening, we can probably drive down to Jodhpur.
12:00 - Reach Jodhpur - Check in to Hotel
How is RTDC Ghoomar? Ratan Vilas and Shree Ram International are other two that I have seen BHPians have stayed at from reading the threads.
15:00 - Check out fort and some shopping

September 10, Thursday - Day 5:
9:00 - Umaid Bhavan Palace, Jaswant Thada and some shopping. May be to Kaylana Lake in the evening. Or drive down to Mount Abu after lunch.

September 11, Friday - Day 6:
Check out Dilwala Temples and other local sights. And rest for the day

September 12, Saturday - Day 7:
Still deciding whether we can sneak in Udaipur too on this trip. As I've said, we've visited, but those palaces look amazing!

September 13, Sunday - Day 8: Drive down to Jaipur from Udaipur. Return the car to Myles. The flight I'm planning to book is in the evening around 7pm.

Any suggestions must see places and where the food is amazing is welcome!

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
I think the better route would be if you cover Udaipur right at the end. As Parag said, you can reach Mount Abu on the second day. Instead of criss-crossing on your way, better to get a ring so that you cover one place and don't have to come back or pass through the same area on your trip again. Also, when you reach Mumbai, it is better to stay on the outskirts than go inside the city so you can get a move on quickly on day 2.
Thanks. Now plan got modified a bit as we had to drop Jodhpur and pull in Jaipur. Hotels are blocked. So, the itinerary becomes Blore - Mumbai - Udaipur - Jaisalmer - Jaipur and back.

Yes, will stay on the outskirts of Mumbai. Will subscribe to CHD to make this hassle free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Hi BHPians!
20:00 - Reach Jaisalmer and check in to a hotel - Any suggestions for good 3-4 star hotels. Check out the fort by night.
You can checkout Mystic Jaisalmer. They also arrange desert safari
September 07, Monday - Day 2:
08:00 - Fort by day, Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Bada Bagh, Gadisar Lake, Local shopping,
16:30 - Sam Sand Dunes for sunset, still deciding if we want to stay at the dunes for the night or come back to Jaisalmer for the night - Suggestions welcome.

September 08, Tuesday - Day 3:

5:00 - Sam Sand Dunes for sunrise. Some shopping in the fort area later in the day. Suggestions welcome for any other things to do in Jaisalmer on this day
How about a ride through the desert upto Tanot?
September 09, Wednesday - Day 4:
8:00 - Start from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur - If there is nothing to do in Jaisalmer on 8th Evening, we can probably drive down to Jodhpur.
12:00 - Reach Jodhpur - Check in to Hotel
How is RTDC Ghoomar? Ratan Vilas and Shree Ram International are other two that I have seen BHPians have stayed at from reading the threads.
15:00 - Check out fort and some shopping
Try the ziplining. You can book online in advance and it is cheaper too
September 10, Thursday - Day 5:
....!
Old 26th July 2015, 20:12   #178

Hello fellow BHPians,

Me and my friends are onto a road trip from Gurgaon to Jaisalmer (would be going till Tanot/Longewala)

Inclusions :
1. 3 Guys
2. Night Driving ( we love to drive at night, much peaceful )
3. Vehicle : Volkswagen Polo
4. Trip is basically to Tanot & longewala, but we will be staying at Jaisalmer.
5. Departure date : 07th Aug 2015 (night), return : 11th August 2015

Need some advice on planning the route. We are basically going to drive through the night i.e start at around 12:30 - 1 AM. Please help me with the following :

1. Best route to Jaisalmer (I will choose better roads over distance)
2. Availability of fuel pumps post Jaipur (though with a tankful from jaipur I can reach jaisalmer easily)
3. Availability of refreshments
4. Approximate driving time from Gurgaon to Jaisalmer

Please help me plan
Old 27th July 2015, 11:29   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,

Me and my friends are onto a road trip from Gurgaon to Jaisalmer (would be going till Tanot/Longewala)

Inclusions :
1. 3 Guys
2. Night Driving ( we love to drive at night, much peaceful
3. Vehicle : Volkswagen Polo
4. Trip is basically to Tanot & longewala, but we will be staying at Jaisalmer.
5. Departure date : 07th Aug 2015 (night), return : 11th August 2015

Need some advice on planning the route. We are basically going to drive through the night i.e start at around 12:30 - 1 AM. Please help me with the following :

1. Best route to Jaisalmer (I will choose better roads over distance)
2. Availability of fuel pumps post Jaipur (though with a tankful from jaipur I can reach jaisalmer easily)
3. Availability of refreshments
4. Approximate driving time from Gurgaon to Jaisalmer

Please help me plan
2 routes you can take:

Gurgaon-Bahadurgarh-Jhajjar-Charkhi Dadri-Loharu-Chirawa-Jhunjhunu-Mandawa-Fatehpur-Bikaner-Jaisalmer (750 odd kms)

The route from Gurgaon to Fatehpur is travelling through state highways and some towns. You would have found local traffic in the day, but in the night its a no-brainer.

Fatehpur to Bikaner is NH11. Very good road, except construction work going on in some stretches.

Bikaner to Jaisalmer is a fantastic dual-carriageway road, no bumps, no traffic-holdups. Beware of wild animals like Nilgai and deer coming on to the road at night though. A Polo hitting a big Nilgai at speed can cause more damage than you think.

Gurgaon-Jaipur-Beawar-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer(860 odd kms)

Gurgaon to Jaipur is a nightmare stretch at night, thanks to trucks and construction work going on.

Jaipur to Beawar is NH8 at its best, some 225kms which you'll fly.

From Beawar you turn on to NH14, which takes you all the way to Jaisalmer via Jodhpur. Again a very good dual-carriageway road, but beware of wild animals at night.

My advice would be to take route 1 at night, route 2 if you're going in the day. On route 1, tank up at Bikaner. On route 2, tank up at Beawar.

As for driving time, route 1 should take you 11-12 hours in the night, about 13 plus in the day. I can't comment on route 2, since God only knows how much time will be wasted on the Gurgaon-Jaipur stretch.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 27th July 2015 at 11:32.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 19:15   #180

predatorwheelz thank you a ton for the detailed suggestion. We are planning to do the trip via the following itinerary :

Onwards : GGN>JODHPUR (halt for a day's sightseeing) > JAISALMER > Tanot > Longewala > Jaisalmer > GGN.

While returning I have planned to take the following route: Jaisalmer > Bikaner > Ramgarh > by pass Jaipur > gurgaon

For the onward leg, as we will be starting at night, is there any alternate route you would suggest to reach Jodhpur avoiding Jaipur. You have scared me w.r.t taking the Jaipur route

Secondly for the Route 1 that you suggested, how is the road condition ? Hope my small Polo can take it head on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks