Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:51   #211
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hi,
Thankyou for the suggestion, The plan is finalized and set,,
We did consider Bikaner and Jaiselmer, but cancelled because of the driving distances.

My Final plan -
Pune - Ahmadabad - Udaipur - (via Chittorgrah) Jaipur - Agra - Jaipur - Ajmer/Pushkar - Jodhpur - Ahmadabad - Pune,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
Probably, you have already finalised the entire trip. But still providing my two cents

Instead of travelling to Jaipur from Udaipur, you can plan Udaipur -> Jodhpur -> Bikaner -> Jaipur -> Agra -> Jaipur -> Ajmer-> Chittorgarh -> Udaipur

Trust me night desert safari in winter in Bikaner is really worth. You can cut down a day in Jodhpur and Udaipur to accommodate Bikaner. And all roads are awesome

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:48   #212
BHPian

Can someone correct me if the best route from Jodhpur to Amritsar (mega highway) is via Nagaur - Bikaner - Suratgarh - Hanumangarh and Ferozepur or is there any other better option? What would be the approximate travel time?
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:59   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Can someone correct me if the best route from Jodhpur to Amritsar (mega highway) is via Nagaur - Bikaner - Suratgarh - Hanumangarh and Ferozepur or is there any other better option? What would be the approximate travel time?
Yes, this is the best and perhaps only direct route.
Eventhough the entire route is not 4 lane, good tarmac coupled with low traffic throughout Rajasthan enables you to easily do 70-80 km per hour on an average.

Last edited by Wanderers : 3rd December 2015 at 13:00.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 19:11   #214
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Planning on a 10-11 day road trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore during the last two weeks of Dec. (Starting 21 or 22 till 3rd of Jan)

Bang -> Mum -> Udaipur -> Kumbalgarh -> Jaisalmer -> Jaipur -> Chittorgarh -> Mum -> Bang

There will also be two kids aged ~8 and ~3.

1) Hows the weather, particularly in Jaipur? I heard that it will be terribly cold in that part of the state - dropping to low single digits. Just looking for advice particularly for the kids. (Shopping/temples etc)
2) How are the driving conditions during the evenings? Very foggy with less visibility?
3) Can Kumbalgarh - Ranakpur - Nathdwar - Eklinji be covered in a day or is that way too optimistic?

Just looking for advice and recommendations on what to expect.

thanks!
Gak
Old 9th December 2015, 15:32   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post

1) Hows the weather, particularly in Jaipur?
Normally, Rajasthan is quite cold by the end of December. However this year the winter is setting late and hence you may get pleasant winter. Infact Rajasthan is best enjoyed in winter.

Quote:
2) How are the driving conditions during the evenings? Very foggy with less visibility?
You will have much less fog compared to Delhi, if at all there is one. Generally Rajasthan do not have dense fog in the evening.There would be plenty of sun during day.

Last edited by Wanderers : 9th December 2015 at 15:34.
Old 9th December 2015, 20:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Hows the weather, particularly in Jaipur? I heard that it will be terribly cold in that part of the state - dropping to low single digits. Just looking for advice particularly for the kids. (Shopping/temples etc)
In my experience, Rajasthan is more pleasant than Delhi at this time of the year. The cold is bearable, and the kids shouldn't have a problem. Just wrap them up well.

Quote:
No fog whatsoever. I've done quite a few night drives, even in the Jaisalmer desert outskirts, and didn't face any fog.

Quote:
3) Can Kumbalgarh - Ranakpur - Nathdwar - Eklingji be covered in a day or is that way too optimistic?
Kumbhalgarh involves a lot of climbing. Ranakpur a lot of photography. Nothing significant in Nathdwara and Eklingji IMO. You can just squeeze them into a single day.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:25   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
Planning on a 10-11 day road trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore during the last two weeks of Dec. (Starting 21 or 22 till 3rd of Jan)

Bang -> Mum -> Udaipur -> Kumbalgarh -> Jaisalmer -> Jaipur -> Chittorgarh -> Mum -> Bang

There will also be two kids aged ~8 and ~3.

3) Can Kumbalgarh - Ranakpur - Nathdwar - Eklinji be covered in a day or is that way too optimistic?

Just looking for advice and recommendations on what to expect.

thanks!
Gak
Hi Gak

I'm in Jaipur now. Well I'm from here so thought I'd write in especially related to fog conditions. This year, winter hasn't 'set in' as of now. If it rains in the next few days, we may see a stronger onset and then, fog.

Fog is usually present in all north and east plains of the state, even parts that you won't suspect it. I've attached a photograph of Kishangarh highway (between Jaipur and Ajmer) taken 22nd Dec 14 at 8:30 am. We were driving down to Gujarat. At one time, it got so bad that we contemplated going back home! It cleared up by 9:30 am though, so we went to Gujarat.

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-1dsc_7544.jpg

I used to have a theory that south and west of Jaipur, due to the aravalis, there's no fog. However, in 2011, returning from Jaisalmer, it was debunked thoroughly when we had to slow down from 100+ kmph to no more than 50 near Nagaur (between Phalodi and Nagaur). It was late morning. Similarly, 2008, Mount abu trip, same result. East and north of Jaipur on Agra road and Delhi road, of course we expect fog and we find it easily.

There's absolutely no way to predict when fog will hit- I've seen it in the evenings also (Abu trip, Bharatpur trip, etc but only after sunset, not before). The reason why I'm saying this is not to alarm you but in general, do not take the fog problem lightly - just keep some buffer time in your drives. If fog hits badly, driving with hazard warning is OK but here, people also come from wrong side, so slowing down significantly or even stopping if needed is a better solution.

Now to answer the rest of your questions - weather's excellent and even if it rains and cools down, it will be great. It's not humid here, ever and when the sun comes out - after 9 or 10 it can even become hot as the day progresses. Right now, afternoons are hot.

Pt 3- not at all. Even Ranakpur, Kumbhalgarh in a single day is a touch and go. The reason is, Ranakpur allows photography only post 12 noon and Kumbhalgarh has a sound and light show in the evenings. You can cover the two attractions in the day by missing the S&L show. Nathdwara has specific opening and closing timings. My recommendation is to to Kumbhalgarh in first half and then Ranakpur and be back to the base (or if you're driving from Udaipur to Jodhpur on that day, continue onwards).

Hope this helps.
Vaibhav

Last edited by vaibhav_a_a : 10th December 2015 at 17:47.
Old 18th December 2015, 12:32   #218
BHPian

Wanderers, Predatorwheelz and vaibhav_a_a - Very good information. Thank you!! Right now my plan is to do Udaipur - Nathdwara - Ranakpur - kumbalgarh and stay in Kumbalgarh for the night. The next day set out to Jaisalmer (we might have to skip Jodhpur because of time paucity). Does this look ok?

thanks!
Ganesh

Last edited by avasekeh : 18th December 2015 at 12:46.
avasekeh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 21:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Yes, this is the best and perhaps only direct route.
Eventhough the entire route is not 4 lane, good tarmac coupled with low traffic throughout Rajasthan enables you to easily do 70-80 km per hour on an average.
There is some change of plans. Right now I'm in Jaipur and i'm planning to drive straight to Amritsar tomorrow. Can you suggest me the best route?

Will leave to Dalhousie from there and on my return i'm planning to drive straight to Jodhpur. Please suggest me both routes.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:51   #220
BHPian

Quote:
i'm planning to drive straight to Amritsar tomorrow.
Please take Jaipur-Delhi NH-8 , followed by NH-1 to Amritsar. By-pass Delhi by taking Rewari-Rohtak route, which joins NH-1.

Quote:
i'm planning to drive straight to Jodhpur. Please suggest me both routes.
Amritsar to Jodhpur, please take the road via Firojpur-Sriganganagar-Suratgarh-Bikaner-Jodhpur.

Its not 4 lane but real good road, very less traffic and you can easily do 80 km/h.

Last edited by Wanderers : 22nd December 2015 at 08:52.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:37   #221
J.Ravi

Quote:
Right now I'm in Jaipur and i'm planning to drive straight to Amritsar tomorrow. Can you suggest me the best route?
Jaipur>Ratangarh>Hanumangarh>Amritsar. Beautiful 2-lane RIDCOR toll road.

Quote:
Will leave to Dalhousie from there and on my return i'm planning to drive straight to Jodhpur.
Dalhousie>Hanumangarh>Ratangarh>Nagaur>Jodhpur. Again, the same beautiful RIDCOR highway from Hanumangarh to Ladnun.

If you have not booked a hotel at Dalhousie already, do book at Grand View Hotel.

Bon voyage.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd December 2015 at 09:55.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:31   #222
BHPian

Thank you Wanderers and J.Ravi. Reached Amritsar last night.

Jaipur - Laxmangarh: Excellent
Laxmangarh to Hanumangarh was average to good. Though less traffic, road surface wasn't smooth.
Hanumangarh - Bathinda - Faridgot - Zira - Makhu - Harike - Tan Taran - Amritsar was just average. Was able to maintain 70 to 80 km/hr. After Faridgot snow was heavy to very severe. Visibility was less than 10 ft in few places. Sangaria Bypass and inside Hariyana, roads were very bad.

Started at 12pm and reached Amritsar at 12.30am with around 45 min for breaks in between.

I wonder if Abohar route would be a better alternative. Any inputs would be helpful when I return.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 07:55   #223
J.Ravi

Quote:
I wonder if Abohar route would be a better alternative.
Abohar route also had some bad sections, when I drove last year. Less said the better at Sriganganagar near PB-RJ border on both the sides.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th December 2015 at 07:59.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 00:11   #224
BHPian

Just reached Jodhpur. Yesterday started from Dalhousie and after visiting wagah border reached Bathinda.

Today started from there at around 11.30 am and the road was all good till Suratgarh. Took Bathinda - Hanumangarh - Suratgarh - Bikaner - Nagaur - Jodhpur.

After Suratgarh for the next 20 kms its was terrible. I could hardly drive above 20 km/h. And roads improved after that but road construction work was going on and off till Jothpur. It took 11 hrs to cover 580 kms with just 20 min break in between. My suggestion is to AVOID THIS ROUTE at least for another year or so till construction work gets completed.

Hanumangarh - Ratangarh route would be a better alternative.
Old 7th January 2016, 14:27   #225

Rajasthan - Trip

Hi All,

I am travelling to Rajasthan next week from 13th to 24th (two families and two kids below 5 years) and below is the itinerary:

Wed 13 Jan
Early morning Flight to Delhi - Stay in Delhi till lunch and start to Jaipur (Planning to book a cab on CarzonRent).

Wed 14 Jan
Kite Festival in Jaipur and local sightseeing.

(Booked Innova on Myles from 15th till 24th - Got a 10% discount and on 9 day booking Myles gave a discount of one day so total paid is 23,743/-).

Wed 15 Jan
Drive to Jaisalmer - Planning to book a one night stay package with Royal Adventure Tours (Sand Safari and Sand Dunes tent stay).

Wed 16 Jan
Local Sightseeing and Stay at Oyo rooms.

Wed 17 Jan
Start to Jodhpur - Planning to book a Oyo rooms.

Wed 18 Jan
Local sightseeing - Stay at Oyo rooms.

Wed 19 Jan
Drive to Ajmer early morning - Visit Ajmer Shariff

By afternoon drive back to Jaipur.

(Booked Hotel Safari trough Oyo rooms for Jaipur stay)

Wed 20 Jan
Attending marriage in Jaipur.

Wed 21 Jan
Drive to Agra and back to Jaipur.

Wed 22 Jan
Drive to Ranthambore - Overnight stay.

Wed 23 Jan
Drive back to Jaipur - Shopping for family and friends.

Wed 24 Jan
Early morning flight from Jaipur to Hyderabad.

So my queries are:

1. Can I skip visiting Jaisalmer as the sand dunes stay and desert safari is available in Jodhpur as well.
2. What are the must visit places in Jaipur (I am planning to visit Jaipur Book Fest and Rajputana Customs) and Jaisalmer.
3. Any other must visit places.
4. Any suggestions on the road to pick.
5. Things to shop.
6. Local cuisines to try restaurants to visit.
7. Last but not the least - do's and don'ts

Thank you guys in advance.

- Shiva
shiva_s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks