Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 11:52   #241
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Thanks guys for your inputs. This helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Udaipur i will STRONGLY recommend staying at http://www.raagahome.com/

This is a homestay we were put up. its about 6Kms from the site seeing area but is a excellent place to stay. this was the best stay of our whole trip.

Do look at the reviews on Tripadvisor and dont just take my advise.

Jodhpur - Mehrangarh is a good fort - dont miss it please.
Roads accross Rajasthan are good. Enjoy ur drive.
Sure. I will check this out. I am someone who prefers to book rooms not too far in advance. I hope they give me this flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I would like to tweak this route a bit as follows:
Bangalore - Udaipur(stay) - Jaipur (Stay) - Ranthambore (Stay) - Jaisalmer (Stay) - Jodhpur (Stay) - Mount Abu (Stay)

So that you complete a circle of the state. At Udaipur you can also plan for Ranakpur which has a fascinating temple. If you plan two nights at each place, then you should be able to do in a fortnight. On an average distance between two places would be roughly 350 kms or 4 hrs drive. First half of the day (if started a bit early) can be used for travelling and reaching the tourist destination. Next three sessions can be used for sight seeing.
Thanks for the suggestion. The above route looks good except one challenge that I see, which is Ranthambore - Jaisalmer run. This is roughly 720 km (12-13hrs).One of the routes suggested by google maps goes via Jodhpur. Will it be wise to halt at Jodhpur then? Is there some other alternative to avoid such a longish run while in Rajasthan?In my plan the longest run in a day in Rajasthan was Jaipur - Jaisalmer (550km via Nagaur). I also note that you have added mount abu which is the last place on the way out from Rajasthan. It can be easily accommodated.

Quote:
Sand dunes at Jaisalmer are more than enough to get that experience. Take care that you don't get fleeced by the camel drivers who promise you to even take to the spot where Bajrangi bhaijaan crossed the border.
Haha! Not a big fan of visiting shooting locales, so won't be bothered about this offer . Thanks for the heads up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I had done a road trip with my wife and daughter in October. Please find the details here. I covered most places except Rathambore. Feel free to PM me in case you need any help in trip planning.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...road-trip.html
I have already read your TL Pramod. I have also gone through Ranjitp's TL. Both of them were of immense help. I will reach out to you as and when required. Thanks for offering help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Dont worry about the temperatures there these days. Its HOT during the day and little better at night with lit bit of wind. Good enough for a light jacket and nothing more. This year has not seen Rajasthani winters till yet (i am talking about last sunday 3rd Jan2016). Its way too warm down there.
Good to know this. Can shed some extra load in the form of heavy winter clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I agree. I was in Rajasthan from 29th Dec to 3rd Jan. Wife had packed as if we were going to Siberia and all of the stuff came back as is

But the locals were pretty sure that the winters may be delayed, but will be there definitely so pack accordingly especially for the kid.
Well, the story remains same everywhere I guess

Finally, I hope i have covered most of the places of interest and nothing worth seeing has been missed out.
Old 10th January 2016, 09:42   #242

Re: Rajasthan - Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_s View Post
Hi All,
I am travelling to Rajasthan next week from 13th to 24th (two families and two kids below 5 years) and below is the itinerary:
Hi Shiva. I would suggest to give Sam sand dunes a miss and rather stay at a good hotel in jaisalmer. You SHOULD drive to Tanot and Longewala from Jaisalmer. It will be a life changing experience like no other. Approximately 280 kms to and fro which can be easily done in half a day (Start by 8am and be back by 3pm) . You will experience the best 280 kms of your life.
If you decide to go, tank up with fuel and food cause you won't find anything. You can have a shot at visiting the border with prior permission from BSF at Jaisalmer. Bosser is a stones throw distance away from Tanot.

Have a safe .

And, Delhi Jaipur expressway is in a sad state. Rest of the roads in Rajasthan will take you by surprise

Mod Note: Please Dont quote the full post when responding.

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2016 at 07:47.
abhisek.parija is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:26   #243
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan - Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
If you decide to go, tank up with fuel and food cause you won't find anything. You can have a shot at visiting the border with prior permission from BSF at Jaisalmer. Bosser is a stones throw distance away from Tanot.
+ 1 to the recommendation. The drive itself is amazing. Through the desert.
Then the patriotic feeling on seeing all the Pakistani tanks and vehicles captured by us. DO NOT MISS the border permission to be taken from Jaisalmer itself. We missed this and missed out on a golden opportunity to visit the border. Regret this very much. I will plan on doing this later though.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:55   #244
BHPian

Guys, traveling from Delhi, I am going to Nawalgarh over the coming weekend to attend a wedding and will be staying for a night at Mandawa as well. Wanted to know if the roads leading to Nawalgarh and Mandawa are decent enough for a car with about 130-135mm of ground clearance?

Rohan
Old 5th April 2016, 11:17   #245
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3946005 Fella's please suggest/help.

Thanks a ton.
Old 1st August 2016, 14:25   #246
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to drive from Jaipur to Bikaner and back in the next few days. I'm hiring a self drive Tata Safari from Jaipur and will be taking the road to Bikaner...

Any idea on what is the condition of the highway, and what roads I need to take /avoid ? All help is highly appreciated !
Old 1st August 2016, 15:50   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Any idea on what is the condition of the highway, and what roads I need to take /avoid ? All help is highly appreciated !
Haven't been to Bikaner in the recent time but usually it is a clean route. Take Jaipur-Sikar-Ratangarh-Bikaner. Recently drove between Ratangarh-Sikar-Jaipur while coming from Punjab and road is in excellent condition. The change I found from the past trips is that the stretch between Ratangarh-Sikar has been revamped and many toll booths have been established. Route to Bikaner being one the important route for Army, you can't expect anything bad there.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:30   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Haven't been to Bikaner in the recent time but usually it is a clean route. Take Jaipur-Sikar-Ratangarh-Bikaner. Recently drove between Ratangarh-Sikar-Jaipur while coming from Punjab and road is in excellent condition. The change I found from the past trips is that the stretch between Ratangarh-Sikar has been revamped and many toll booths have been established. Route to Bikaner being one the important route for Army, you can't expect anything bad there.
Thanks tbppjpr for the great info ! Appreciate it
Old 25th August 2016, 00:01   #249
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Salar mandir, Rajasthan next week and am a bit confused about the road conditions these days. It has been almost 2 years since i last went there, we took the Charkhi-Dadri- Jhunjhune route last time and it was pathetic to say the least.

We are going in a 3 series this time and it would be better if the road conditions are good and there are not too many gigantic speed breakers which are there in abundance in interior Rajasthan roads. Low ground clearance of the car could be a deal breaker if the roads are very bad.

I am thinking of taking the Dwarka- Gurgaon - Dharuhera - Kotputli - Shahpura - Reengus - Sikar - Laxmangarh - Salasar route.

Most of the route is NH48 and NH52 so am hoping that roads would be in a better shape but the roads between Kotputli - Reengus are local roads so have no clue on how they are. Can any one shed some light on the road conditions these days.
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:52   #250
BHPian

Hi,

I am in the early stages of planning a Rajasthan road trip (hope to add Agra to the fag end if possible). Duration is around a week, in late Nov. The rough route in my mind right now is this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-f...wk&usp=sharing

The list of places:
  • Jaipur
  • Ajmer
  • Jodhpur
  • Osian
  • Bikaner
  • Jaipur
  • Tentative: Agra and back in a day

Mode of transport is fly into Jaipur (from Bengalooru) and take a Myles self drive rental from the airport. Will drop the car back after a week and fly back from Jaipur.
Questions:
  1. Obvious one: Is the above route a good one? Keeping in mind that I would be travelling all the way from Bangalore and want to get as much value as possible.
  2. What is the recommendation for duration of stay at each place?
  3. I am reluctant to travel to Jaisalmer for the sand dunes and hope that the stay in Osian will suffice.
  4. Would be great to have a list of tbhp member recommended stays at each city and must-see places.
  5. How are the roads on each segment?
  6. Has anyone used Myles in Jaipur? Any feedback?

Thanks!
NMA

Last edited by nma83 : 2nd September 2016 at 13:52. Reason: roads
Old 4th September 2016, 12:06   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Hi,
I am in the early stages of planning a Rajasthan road trip (hope to add Agra to the fag end if possible). Duration is around a week, in late Nov.
HI NMA,

Hope my suggestions help you a bit:

1. Jaisalmer is a must visit not for sam sand dunes rather -> You can drive to Longewala & Tanot (visit Indo Pak border). Its a 250 (to and fro) life changing drive from Jaisalmer which can be easily done in a day. Trust me its one of a kind experience.

2. Jodpur you need a day to cover up.

3. Jaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer .. roads are like a dream run.

4. Agra will be like stretching the trip a bit. I would suggest rather soak in Rajasthan

5. You can drop ajmer.

These are my views.

Any further queries , will be happy to help.

Safe Driving!

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2016 at 07:56. Reason: Reduced quoted post
Old 6th September 2016, 16:58   #252
BHPian

Have planned a trip from KOLKATA to Rajasthan in OCTOBER 2016 !! The Tentative itinerary is as under :

DAY 1 - Kolkata to Allahabad - 800Kms
DAY 2 - Allahabad to Jaipur - 725Kms
DAY 3 - Jaipur to Navalgarh (Home) - 150Kms
DAY 4 - Navalgarh to Jaipur - 150Kms
DAY 5 - Jaipur
DAY 6 - Jaipur to Jaisalmer - 567Kms
DAY 7 - Jaisalmer (Local Visits) - 81Kms
DAY 8 - Jaisalmer to Longewala & Tanot - 272Kms
DAY 9 - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur - 286Kms
DAY 10 - Jodhpur to Narlai - 145Kms
DAY 11 - Narlai to Udaipur - 161Kms (with Kumbhalgarh & Haldighati)
DAY 12 - Udaipur
DAY 13 - Udaipur to Agra - 635Kms
DAY 14 - Agra to Kanpur - 280Kms
DAY 15 - Kanpur to Benaras - 331Kms
DAY 16 - Benaras to Kolkata - 680Kms

I will be travelling with family i.e.- Me, my wife, my 5 year old daughter and my 6 months old son. My concern are with two of the drives :
  • DAY 6 - Jaipur to Jaisalmer - 567Kms
  • DAY 13 - Udaipur to Agra - 635Kms

Any update on the time that these stretches can take and the suggested route to be taken for the above stretch ?
Old 6th September 2016, 20:06   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
HI NMA,

Hope my suggestions help you a bit:

1. Jaisalmer is a must visit not for sam sand dunes rather -> You can drive to Longewala & Tanot (visit Indo Pak border). Its a 250 (to and fro) life changing drive from Jaisalmer which can be easily done in a day. Trust me its one of a kind experience.

4. Agra will be like stretching the trip a bit. I would suggest rather soak in Rajasthan

5. You can drop ajmer.
Thanks abhisek! Yes, after much reading I have added Jaisalmer to the trip, and will try to go to either Sam or Khuri as well. Ajmer is on the way from Jaipur to Jodhpur, and I would have to go to Pushkar as well I think. Will post the finer itinerary here soon.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 20:11   #254

Hi, I would very strongly recommend to visit Longewala & Tanot instead of visiting Sam or Khuri.
Old 8th September 2016, 12:36   #255
BHPian

Hello Team, I am leaving for my yearly mandatory road trip to Rajasthan this Saturday. I will leave Pune on Saturday morning and plan to reach Jodhpur by Sunday Evening. I am hoping to visit Drive in Theater in ahmedabad for a night show on saturday and will leave on Sunday morning for Jodhpur. I would like to get an idea about

1. Drive in theater - Ahmedabad - Is this worth visiting? How is the crowd in general, safety wise?
2. How are the road conditions in general?
3. Any thing else which should be taken in account?

Thanks in advance,
A.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks