Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 13:06   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks abhisek! Yes, after much reading I have added Jaisalmer to the trip, and will try to go to either Sam or Khuri as well. Ajmer is on the way from Jaipur to Jodhpur, and I would have to go to Pushkar as well I think. Will post the finer itinerary here soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
Hi, I would very strongly recommend to visit Longewala & Tanot instead of visiting Sam or Khuri.
I agree with abishek, I didn't visit Sam or Khuri either. The Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala-Jaisalmer is a great drive, though there is nothing much to see. Make sure you tank up at Jaisalmer before you start.

Another place I saw missing was Udaipur. Any reason you left it?
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:04   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I agree with abishek, I didn't visit Sam or Khuri either. The Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala-Jaisalmer is a great drive, though there is nothing much to see. Make sure you tank up at Jaisalmer before you start.
+ 1 to the suggestion. Remember to take the border permission at jaisalmer itself. This will enable you to actually see other side of the border. I missed doing so and regret it !
ShaileshHinge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 08:14   #258
BHPian

Quote:

Another place I saw missing was Udaipur. Any reason you left it?
Hmm, from maps I see that the round trip would be around 4-5 hrs of drive time, is that right? So I can leave Jaisalmer in the morning and get back by evening.
I would have a 4 y.o toddler with me, so hoping the place is somewhat kid friendly in terms of facilities.
Does this mean that I can totally skip the sand dunes experiences and get them elsewhere?
I was not able to fit Udaipur in the total time I have for this trip. Don't know if Bikaner can be swapped with Udaipur (not looked at how the drive times work out yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
+ 1 to the suggestion. Remember to take the border permission at jaisalmer itself. This will enable you to actually see other side of the border. I missed doing so and regret it !
Thanks for the suggestion! Will keep this in mind.
Old 9th September 2016, 12:35   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, from maps I see that the round trip would be around 4-5 hrs of drive time, is that right? So I can leave Jaisalmer in the morning and get back by evening.
I would have a 4 y.o toddler with me, so hoping the place is somewhat kid friendly in terms of facilities.
Morning start, evening return is more like it. It was like 10 am start 5pm return sorts. Ranjit's travelogue was the inspiration, he's done with his then 2-3 year old as well

Facilities are poor except the army canteen at Tanot, we packed food and went. Our daughter was 3.5 when we did the trip. She enjoyed playing with sand, climbing the tank at Longewala etc.

I suggested Udaipur for the variety. i admit, its impossible to fit all and see all. For us Jodhpur ended up being a mere transit point (we budgeted just a day there) we did however manage to cover Ranakpur temple on the Udaipur-Jodhpur transit. Ours ended up being Fly to Udaipur-2 days Udaipur-1 day transit Jodhpur-3 days Jaisalmer-train to Delhi.

I do regret not driving there there's always a next time.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 17:07   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Morning start, evening return is more like it. It was like 10 am start 5pm return sorts. Ranjit's travelogue was the inspiration, he's done with his then 2-3 year old as well
I suggested Udaipur for the variety. i admit, its impossible to fit all and see all. For us Jodhpur ended up being a mere transit point (we budgeted just a day there) we did however manage to cover Ranakpur temple on the Udaipur-Jodhpur transit. Ours ended up being Fly to Udaipur-2 days Udaipur-1 day transit Jodhpur-3 days Jaisalmer-train to Delhi.

I do regret not driving there ) there's always a next time.
OK, so I think I'll reserve a day for Longewala. How about the sand dunes experience?
I was thinking of a 2 night stop at Jodhpur, but now may reduce it to a night and spend time elsewhere. Udaipur is looking tough, since family is really into covering Agra as well.
I am (unfortunately not driving all the way from Bengalooru, taking a self drive out of Jaipur. Next time indeed!
Old 9th September 2016, 17:42   #261
BHPian

One suggestion: Carry some biscuits, chocolates, juices etc to distribute amongst the local kids on your way to Tanot temple. You wont believe how cut off that whole area is from the rest of the world. I had a few heart wrenching moments looking at the smiles on those kids faces happy to receive even the smallest of things like a loaf of bread and some jam.

Personally i did not find the Jaisalmer fort very interesting. Its so much commercialized with small shops selling their ware all over the place.
Shashidl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 18:12   #262
BHPian

Quote:
The Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala-Jaisalmer is a great drive, though there is nothing much to see. Make sure you tank up at Jaisalmer before you start.
From where does one obtain Permits (if any) for visiting Lomgewala, Tanot & BP609 and what are the documents required to obtain it ?
Old 9th September 2016, 21:06   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
From where does one obtain Permits (if any) for visiting Lomgewala, Tanot & BP609 and what are the documents required to obtain it ?
AFAIK permits are only for visiting BP609. You don't need permits for Tanot (that is until Tanot Devi Mandir) and Longewala. I was not aware of the permit for BP609 at that time, so didn't do it.

Quote:
How about the sand dunes experience? Udaipur is looking tough, since family is really into covering Agra as well.
I am (unfortunately not driving all the way from Bengalooru, taking a self drive out of Jaipur. Next time indeed!
Daughter did enjoy much more than us. We did post our Tanot-Longewala drive, so were already overwhelmed seeing dunes all day and previous day (from Pokhran)

If Agra is must do, you can rent out at Delhi and return at Delhi no? Or avoided that on purpose to avoid driving Delhi-Jaipur?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 22:12   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Daughter did enjoy much more than us. We did post our Tanot-Longewala drive, so were already overwhelmed seeing dunes all day and previous day (from Pokhran)

If Agra is must do, you can rent out at Delhi and return at Delhi no? Or avoided that on purpose to avoid driving Delhi-Jaipur?
Do you mean to say you visited Sam the next day after Longewala? My current route is this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-f...wk&usp=sharing
Yet to finalise on the duration of stay at each place (tentative number of nights in brackets):
  1. Jaipur (1)
  2. Jodhpur (1) - Pushkar, Ajmer
  3. Jaisalmer (2) - Longewala, Sam
  4. Bikaner (1)
  5. Jaipur (1) - Agra and back in the day

Yes, I wanted to have Jaipur as the center and not Delhi.
Old 10th September 2016, 01:08   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I did that last year and it was superb experience. You dont require permit for Tanot. The permit for BP 609 is to be taken from Western command of BSF in Jaisalmer. I had to give a written application to one of the heads there. They asked me a few basic questions and told me to go. They dont give a written permission letter but puts your car number at the security check post at Tanot. I got the whole process done in an hour or so.

The drive to BP was truly memorable and road from Tanot to BP is a complete no man's land with amazing driving experience.
kushalshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 08:38   #266
BHPian

Repeating my Post which remains unanswered :

Have planned a trip from KOLKATA to Rajasthan in OCTOBER 2016 !!

I will be travelling with family i.e.- Me, my wife, my 5 year old daughter and my 6 months old son. My concern are with two of the drives :

DAY 6 - Jaipur to Jaisalmer - 567Kms
DAY 13 - Udaipur to Agra - 635Kms

Any update on the time that these stretches can take and the suggested route to be taken for the above stretch ?
Old 10th September 2016, 09:52   #267
BHPian

[quote=

DAY 6 - Jaipur to Jaisalmer

Any update on the time that these stretches can take and the suggested route to be taken for the above stretch ?[/QUOTE]

Had done Jaisalmer to Jaipur last year via Pokhran Dechu Balesar Jodhpur Beawar Ajmer. I left at around 9am from Jaisalmer and reached Jaipur by 7.30pm. Spent almost 1hour on the Longewala Army Museum which is enroute. Though Jaisalmer - Jodhpur is two lane you would find very minimal traffic and beyond Balesar a bit of traffic due to narrow width of the road. Jaisalmer to Jodhpur completed in 4 hours and delay of 15 mins on a railway crossing. Took 30 mins lunch break at Jodhpur.

Did Jodhpur - Jaipur non stop. Till Beawar (from Jaisalmer) it is a two lane however Jodhpur - Beawar roads are wide to overtake comfortably. From Beawar you merge on to NH8.

I did this on a Sunday and hence traffic was minimal while getting into Jaipur.

For Udaipur - Agra you need to route back to Jaipur.

Few important points to note:
1. Lot of cattle traffic across Rajasthan. Have seen cattle coming in your lane suddenly when you overtake trucks from fast lane
2. Udaipur has got very narrow roads while going towards city palace or other POI
3. There is a separate lane for BRTS on NH8 in Jaipur and please take care to avoid that lane.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 11:55   #268
BHPian

Any update on this Route between Jaipur to Jaisalmer : Jaipur-Kuchaman-Nagaur-Phalodi-Pokhran-Jaisalmer ?
Old 12th September 2016, 00:32   #269

Quote:
OK, so I think I'll reserve a day for Longewala. How about the sand dunes experience?
I was thinking of a 2 night stop at Jodhpur, but now may reduce it to a night and spend time elsewhere. Udaipur is looking tough, since family is really into covering Agra as well.

good to see you have included longewala and tanot. You will have the experience of a life time my friend . Take permission from Jaisalmer BSF for visiting BP609. As mentioned by teambhp members above, keep the following in mind:

1. Tank Up at jaisalmer before you start.
2. Carry enough food items with you.
3. If you start by 9AM you can be back by 3-4pm easily without any stress.
4. Carry some food items for the locales to hand out
5. Lots and lots and lots of windmills you will see on your way.
6. If possible while in jaisalmer you can visit Kuldhara (a haunted village), another amazing experience.

And to top it off, drive safe and enjoy
abhisek.parija is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 15:52   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
Take permission from Jaisalmer BSF for visiting BP609

And to top it off, drive safe and enjoy
I was told last year that BP609 permission is issued at Jodhpur and not Jaisalmer. Hence please check on this aspect before you start your travel.

I did Jaisalmer- Tanot-Longewala-Sand Dunes-Jaisalmer in a single day which took me close to 10 hours. Sand Dunes included Jeep Safari and camel ride. Was not interested in staying in tents in Sand Dunes hence returned back to Jaisalmer.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks