Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 11:50   #361
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hi guys my itinerary is almost finalized. Here is how it goes:

22nd Dec Leave Mum 12 noon reach Ahd/Gandhinagar by 9pm (sleep)
23 Dec Leave Gandhinagar early morning to reach jaisalmer 2-3 pm (can I do something on this day) or just chill at the hotel?
24 Dec longewala /tanot and then Sam dunes desert camp with overnight stay
25 Dec Leave for Jodhpur and reach by afternoon (can I do something on this day?)
26 Dec day touring in Jodhpur (to cover fort, rock garden, lake, vasant thada)
27 Dec Leave for Mumbai

Need to reach by 28th morning so most likely overnight drive through Surat Mumbai stretch. I know this seems like crazy driving trip but I would like to cover whatever is worth. Fossil garden? Am I missing any other place that I should cover? How much time should it take to cover Jaisalmer fort as reviews aren't drink? Is this the place which serve special drink at the gate? Also in terms of the drive is there any safety issue or road tips for Rajasthan?

Tia
Old 14th December 2017, 16:12   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi guys my itinerary is almost finalized. Here is how it goes:

22nd Dec Leave Mum 12 noon reach Ahd/Gandhinagar by 9pm (sleep)
23 Dec Leave Gandhinagar early morning to reach jaisalmer 2-3 pm (can I do something on this day) or just chill at the hotel?
25 Dec Leave for Jodhpur and reach by afternoon (can I do something on this day?)
26 Dec day touring in Jodhpur (to cover fort, rock garden, lake, vasant thada)
27 Dec Leave for Mumbai

Need to reach by 28th morning so most likely overnight drive through Surat Mumbai stretch. I know this seems like crazy driving trip but I would like to cover whatever is worth. Fossil garden? Am I missing any other place that I should cover? How much time should it take to cover Jaisalmer fort as reviews aren't drink? Is this the place which serve special drink at the gate? Also in terms of the drive is there any safety issue or road tips for Rajasthan?

Tia
Guys I need help here. I just spoke with the hotel guy and he says tanot will tell full day and dune camp I will be able to reach only in the late evening.

Can someone please help with the feasibility of the above plan?
Old 14th December 2017, 16:36   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need help here. I just spoke with the hotel guy and he says tanot will tell full day and dune camp I will be able to reach only in the late evening.

Jaisalmer to Tanot is a 2 hour drive one way.Spend about an hour there so its a 5-6hr plan.We left Jaisalmer at 3pm and got back to Jaisalmer for dinner at 9pm after spending time at the temple.Remember to fuel up at Jaisalmer as there are no fuel stations anywhere on the route.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:50   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Specific to the Jaisalmer leg, you can do something like -

23 Dec Jaisalmer 2-3 pm - you can visit the market or Gadisar lake
24 Dec longewala /tanot and then Sam dunes desert camp with overnight stay - perfect, start early from Jaisalmer. You will reach the dune around 3 pm in that case. Next day you can start from camp before 8, cover the fort, have some local street food and start for Jodhpur by noon.

Roads are fantastic in RJ. Currently you will find roadworks just outside of Jaisalmer.

Unsolicited advice, but I would say, stick with either Jaisalmer (and around) or Jodhpur. With the time you have, you will not be able to explore both of them - it will mostly be touch and go.
Old 14th December 2017, 17:16   #365
BHPian

Hi Friend....i will be in Jaisalmer at the same time. 23rd to 26th December 2017. Will be driving from Delhi.

23rd December 2017-Will start at 0230 Am in the morning with family. Plan to reach by 1400-1500 hrs in the evening. Will cool-off at hotel. Hotel owner confirmed that i can have dinner-Local Folk dance and camel ride for 600 per person(200 for each activity). Sand dunes to be covered. Jeep safari during night also is available at hotel itself at 1400 per jeep. After paying this amount, the jeep is yours for about an hour or so.

24th December 2017-Longewala & Tanot mata mandir.

25th December 2017-i will be doing a Jaisalmer local(sightseeing & shopping)

26th December 2017-Drive Delhi by night.

For those members who have done this stretch, please let me know if this is OK or i need to dedicate more time. Have already booked hotel
Old 14th December 2017, 18:22   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Hi Friend....i will be in Jaisalmer at the same time. 23rd to 26th December 2017. Will be driving from Delhi.

23rd December 2017-Will start at 0230 Am in the morning with family. Plan to reach by 1400-1500 hrs in the evening. Will cool-off at hotel. Hotel owner confirmed that i can have dinner-Local Folk dance and camel ride for 600 per person(200 for each activity). Sand dunes to be covered. Jeep safari during night also is available at hotel itself at 1400 per jeep. After paying this amount, the jeep is yours for about an hour or so.

24th December 2017-Longewala & Tanot mata mandir.

25th December 2017-i will be doing a Jaisalmer local(sightseeing & shopping)

26th December 2017-Drive Delhi by night.

For those members who have done this stretch, please let me know if this is OK or i need to dedicate more time. Have already booked hotel
Looks good to me!

If you have time, maybe you can break your journey at Bikaner on return.
Old 14th December 2017, 19:23   #367
BHPian

Hi guys!

Planning on doing Bombay-Nathdwara on 17th Dec in my S-Cross 1.6 with my parents, grandmother, and teenage sister.

Intending to leave by 5 AM, stop at Valsad/Vapi for breakfast, Vadodara for lunch, and tea at Modasa. Would love some restaurant recommendations for these three stops and any route tips/shortcuts.

Would be leaving from Nathdwara for Bombay on 19th Dec at 7 AM after a heavy breakfast. Aiming to stop at Vadodara for lunch, using NH48. Is this a realistic target?
Old 15th December 2017, 09:28   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys : Planning to drive from Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer and stay there for 2 nights and on the way back stop at Udaipur and stay for 2 nights

Any recommendations on route, hotels and sightseeing? Of-course, plan to stay 1-night in the sand dunes at Jaisalmer and any recommendation for it would be awesome
Old 15th December 2017, 10:12   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Kiradu Temples - Yes, This is on my visit list on my way back from Munabao.
A very nice gentleman from the Hotel I'm staying at is arranging for my permits to Munabao from the Barmer District Collector. I've already emailed him the application letter and required documents.
Hey Nishant, were you able to source for those permits afterall? If yes, do share your experience to get the permits.

Quote:
Guys looking to cover Jaisalmer and Ranthambore this Dec End in a short period of time. Also, while searching HVK Sir seems to have suggested Mumbai to Jaisalmer can be done in a day with an early start! Now here are my question:

2)would there be any safety issues on the above trail/road conditions i should be aware off

I have driven 16hrs or less (blr-mum) in a day without any issues.Also, any good stay/eat options that I should consider.
Well it's doable in 16-18 hours. If you have more then one driver, certainly doable. In my case, we did Jaisalmer Mumbai in 2014 as follows:
Sunset at Sam sand dunes - 7 pm
Dinner & checkout from Jaisalmer - 9 pm
Tea at Mehsana - 4am
Fuel up at Ahmedabad - 5 am (ended up utilizing 1-2 hour helping a paranoid family at the fuel pump. Tried to boost their flat battery with help of makeshift jugaad jump start cables at fuel pump)
Mumbai outskirts for lunch - 3 pm

Reverse this order and it's doable with a bit of really early morning start from Mumbai & some bit of late evening driving on Barmer - Jaisalmer stretch. But do consider the fact that you have a little one with you & you may need more breaks en route which will hamper your average distance per hour. Go with Nishantbhatia's recommendation if you can. Much safer that way.

I have read about some fellow travellers being concerned about Ahmedabad - Barmer - Jaisalmer sector in terms of safety and I would say it's nothing more to worry about then what you would on most other highways. Of course no night drives advisable here but we had a bit of emergency back then so had to make a dash overnight. I could recollect quite a few small towns lit up with minimal essential facilities like fuel pumps, refreshments etc throughout the night so I'm sure it will be better in the daytime.

I guess you already made your mind to skip Ranthambore, it's better that way. Instead, you can utilize that additional time in & around Jaisalmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Talk about co-incidence! I'm doing a Rajasthan road trip in December as well, starting on 23rd!
Here's my recommendation:
- Mumbai to Jaisalmer in 1 day is not recommended unless you start in the evening around 9pm or so. (I've done Mumbai-Jaisalmer twice and it's taken me close to 20hrs - both times I had started in the evening which helps achieve higher average speeds). If you are to leave early in the morning from Andheri, you'll get traffic almost the entire way which will slow you down drastically and increase you travel time.
- Here's what I suggest -
PM me your number as I will be in Jaisalmer around the same time as you, we can have a small Tbhp Jaisalmer meet!
Talk about double coincidence. I'll be on this same stretch between 25 - 29 Dec this year. More on that later. A small TBhp meet would be lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
sinharishi - I am planning Pune - Jaisalmer during second half of this month. In contrary to all travelogues I read so far, you are suggesting to visit Longewala first and then go to Tanot. Any specific reason?
I did Jaisalmer - Longewala - Tanot - Jaisalmer and it's lovely that way. Tanot is a bit more touristy and crowded since it is a well known worshipping place so I'd recommend you start with Longewala too. Additionally, in one of the blogs I read somewhere, it did mention that the BSF at Tanot may not allow you to take the direct Tanot Longewala route since it pretty much runs parallel to the border. No such probably restrictions from Longewala to Tanot back then. Either way you drive, the stretch between Longewala - Tanot will be your highlight. Drive safe

We drove to Jaisalmer in 2014 as part of a plan our friend's marriage ceremony in Udaipur so we didn't get much time to explore per se. But I had decided back then to visit the mighty Thar desert again, probably on two wheels so this is my plan for last week of December with a fellow rider.

Phase I
24 Dec - Mumbai - Barmer (Early morning start of 4 am or so from Fountain-Ghodbunder)

25 Dec - Barmer - Munabao - Khuri - Jaisalmer (Still researching on this route. Munabao is for certain but I have read a couple of trip logs sharing concerns of road covered with sand on Sundra - Jaisalmer stretch so a bit sceptical as of yet. Have done Ladakh Spiti Zanskar stretches on bike 3-4 times so very comfortable with offroading and river crossings but sand crossings are new to me so being a bit cautious here. Any advice appreciated?

26 Dec - Jaisalmer - Bada Bagh - Tanot - B609 - Longewala - Ramgarh - Sam/Khuri (B609 if we somehow source the permits, depends on lots of factors after we reach Jaisalmer)

27 Dec - Sam - Jaisalmer local sightseeing - Ramdevra/Pokhran - Jodhpur

28 Dec - Jodhpur - Om bana bullet temple - Kumbhalgarh - Ranapur - Udaipur

29 Dec - Udaipur - Ahd - Mum

or

Phase II - Tentative plan
29 Dec - Udaipur local sightseeing - Mount Abu
30 Dec - Abu - Dholavira - Greate ROK (Dhordo)
31 Dec - Dhordo local - Guhar Moti - Dhordo for sunset
1 Jan - Dhordo Sunrise - Rajkot - Ahd
2 Jan - Ahd - Mumbai

Phase I is confirmed and working on Phase II for now as the fellow rider will not join me for Phase II of the ride so doing it solo.

Suggestions welcome.
Thank you

We'll be riding on these two machines. If any of you happen to see us anywhere en route, do catch up if you can. I'd be on a lookout for TBHP stickers as well.
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img_8805.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2017 at 11:22. Reason: Minor edit due to a software issue :)
camitesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 11:58   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys : Planning to drive from Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer and stay there for 2 nights and on the way back stop at Udaipur and stay for 2 nights

Any recommendations on route, hotels and sightseeing? Of-course, plan to stay 1-night in the sand dunes at Jaisalmer and any recommendation for it would be awesome
Ahmedabad-Palanpur-Deesa-Tharad-Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer(the direct route from Deesa to Sanchore via Dhanera has been traditionally bad,unless someone here can confirm its present condition as good).

Budget for 10-11hours.If you leave after breakfast around 6 from Ahmedabad,you can plan for lunch at Barmer (which is the only big town on this route)and reach Jaisalmer by 4-5 in the evening.

Jaisalmer has all kinds of hotels for all budgets,we stayed at Suryagarh when it had just opened,amazing place and on the Sam Road and was an experience by itself.You can also try the RTDC hotels which are pretty good.Rang Mahal on Sam road is also very good.Do drive to Tanot and Longewala(subject to BSF permissions at Tanot),It is a 2 hour drive from Jaisalmer and a fantastic drive,remember to tank up at Jaisalmer as there are no pumps for the entire 350km drive(175approx one way)

I would suggest,Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Pali Bypass-Kumbalgarh-Udaipur.Budget for around 12hours of drive.5 hours to Jodhpur and another 6-7 to Udaipur.Kumbalgarh fort is India's Great Wall

Udaipur-Ahmedabad is an easy 5-6hr drive.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 13:31   #371
BHPian

Woaah!! A mini TBhp meet would be a perfect icing on the cake! Let's share our numbers on PM and maybe we all happen to meet somewhere in the desert!

Plan seems to be feasible, however, I would like to know if I can stretch the day1 drive to palanpur or somewhere keeping in mind am starting from Andheri at 12noon? Also, any decent stay options enroute?

What are the must eateries or food to have during this trip (enroute & Jaisalmer & jodhpur)? Am looking forward to kachoris but the question is where do I get the best ones.

Rgds
Old 17th December 2017, 19:26   #372
BHPian

Quote:

Stay at Udaipur - Raaga homes - homestay at mr. Sultan Singhs home.
http://www.raagahome.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...Rajasthan.html

Stay at sam dunes - Khuri - MR Badal singh - Very basic ammenities. But genuine people.
https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...Rajasthan.html

I had stayed at Raaga homes myself and will blindly go there every time.
Badal house - i went there for the sam dunes vist, sunset, camel rides, cultural dance and dinner. came back to Jaisalmer for the stay. So dont know about the stay facilities there. Just that they are very genuine and honest people.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:22   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Do drive to Tanot and Longewala(subject to BSF permissions at Tanot),It is a 2 hour drive from Jaisalmer and a fantastic drive,remember to tank up at Jaisalmer as there are no pumps for the entire 350km drive(175approx one way)
No permissions needed for longewala. There is a memorial park made now. You will only need to enter your details at one checkpost between Jaisalmer/Longewala. No where else. Permissions needed only if you are headed towards the border beyond Tanot, Sadhewala or Longewala.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:59   #374
BHPian

Planning for a 3N-4D day trip to Bikaner from Delhi in Jan'18, need help with a few details:

1. Assuming Neemrana->Kotputli->Sikar->Fatehpur->Bikaner is the best road to travel? Correct?
2. Any famous/recommended restaurants in Bikaner for food Veg. food?
3. Must-visit places, other than fort/temple/museum? We will cover these anyway.
4. How close can we get to the border, considering Bikaner is close to the edge?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 19th December 2017, 14:44   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Need to reach by 28th morning so most likely overnight drive through Surat Mumbai stretch.
If you reach Jaisalmer in the afternoon you can either explore the city in the evening or go see Sam.
Longewala-Tanot and Sam on the same day would be too much of a stretch I'd say - it'll get tiring.
If you ask me, I wouldn't recommend staying at Sam as none of the hotels looked too good to me.

Quote:
Plenty of hotels available at Jaisalmer - check reviews of the hotel you like on multiple websites before making a decision. Availability would be a concern considering it's already past mid-December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Hey Nishant, were you able to source for those permits afterall? If yes, do share your experience to get the permits.
Not yet. Will get an update in the next 24-48hrs. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Woaah!! A mini TBhp meet would be a perfect icing on the cake! Let's share our numbers on PM and maybe we all happen to meet somewhere in the desert!

Plan seems to be feasible, however, I would like to know if I can stretch the day1 drive to palanpur or somewhere keeping in mind am starting from Andheri at 12noon? Also, any decent stay options enroute?
I'm up for a mini-meet! Ping me at 8454038767.
Starting from Andheri at 12 noon means you'll get traffic almost everywhere en-route till around 11pm. If possible, leave early morning and drive till Palanpur or late evening - around 8 or 9 - and drive till Jaisalmer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks