Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 12:08   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

I am planning to do Bangalore - Mumbai starting 23rd evening around 5-6 PM. Hoping that the fog is manageable for a night drive.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 21st December 2011 at 12:09.
Old 21st December 2011, 16:34   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore - Mumbai starting 23rd evening around 5-6 PM. Hoping that the fog is manageable for a night drive.
I drove bangalore-mumbai and the opposite 3-4 days back.
Fog is not an issue at night time. It is very early morning(after 5am) that fog is an issue, and it a big one. You will be blinded for around 1 hour, especially if you are around hubli-belgaum-kolhapur region.
pkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 16:44   #1038
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I've seen fog in the nights as well in Hubli - Belgaum - Kolhapur sector. Proceed with caution. Especially, there are some truckers who love to drive without tail lights.
Old 21st December 2011, 16:44   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Started this morning 0600 from Colaba Mumbai and had a nice relaxed drive to Belgaum. Kept speed 80 most of the time and occasional 100 in KA. But expressway 120 or so. Air temp near lonavala 15 degrees, no fog. FE 506 km to refuelling stop Belgaum in 22 litres (add 1.12% for oversize tyres)

The thing about keeping speed 80 is that one does not have to brake much and the rpm is at 2000 where a small tap of the accelerator causes prompr acceleration. also max torque is here as well. When I used to do Mum Bangy in a day I had to keep speeds at 100/120 where one had to brake severely whenever one truck is over taking another at a 5kmlh speed advantage.

Also found my stress levels very low, as the km to Belgaum was so little compared to km to Bangy. Arrival time at Belgaum 1430 with stops for b'fast at Mac Donalds 190 km from mumbai, 18 min, Khed toll jam 14 min, accident jam at satara 15 min, tea at sai international 15 min. Looking forward to 500 km of KA roads tomorrow.

Last edited by goandude : 21st December 2011 at 17:08.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:21   #1040
rv3
BHPian

I'm travelling BLR-PNQ tomorrow morning (23rd Dec). Planning to leave at 4 am. Early morning fog is a concern and will share my experiences once back (return planned on 27th Dec).
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:12   #1041
Senior - BHPian

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
l
I need to go to CV raman nagar. So which would be the best/least traffic route to take?
1. Y'pur - mekhri - ulsoor - OM rd
2. Jalahalli - BEL circle - hebbal - mekhri - ulsoor - OM rd
3. Jalahalli - BEL circle - Hebbal - ORR - NGEF Rd - OM rd
1 has a jam at Y'pur. 3 has a jam on ORR. would 2 be the better option or too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Buddy, Option 1 will be a killer after driving 500K. The metro construction work has made the roads very narrow.

Do check the earlier post on bypassing Y'pur especially if you're heading towards East Bangalore (Banaswadi/Indiranagar/CV raman nagar)

This route will avoid Nelamangala & Yeshwantpur mayhem

Drive safe
Left Belgaum at 0545 yesterday and reached Kamat dobbespet for an early lunch at 1200. Took elevated road Y'pur Mekri ulsoor Om rd. surprisingly not much jam. reached home by 1400 h. I will always do mum bangy with an overnight stop, as it reduces the stress of driving and I enjoy the drive more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Fully agree on this... I did Bglor- Pune in July 2011 and had read a lot about the deadly speed breakers on NH4 esp one somewhere near Ranebennur (i think so). But despite all the alertness, i missed it until the last moment and almost had to stand on the break to stop my car before it hit the breaker.
As for speed breakers, there are two between Devangere and c durga, well marked with upside down triangular boards, first one 40.3 km after bankapura toll and second 28 km after this. There is one more place after the 2nd Speed breaker where there are all the signage but no speed breaker . Any way there are now 2 diversions on the beautiful c'durga tumkur section where work is going on and traffic is diverted to service rd. moreover the road surface after sirra toll is deteriorating.

Didn't encounter any fog at all.

Last edited by goandude : 23rd December 2011 at 07:14.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 08:54   #1042
BHPian

I did BLR - BOM on 23-24th Dec.
Started from BLR at 10:30 am on 23rd Dec. Stop over at Kolhapur at 7:00 pm.
Started from Kolhapur at 9:00 am on 24th Dec & reached Mumbai (Malad) at 6:00 pm.

The roads from Kolhapur to Pune are deteriorating & tricky to drive. The fast lane is still good, however the middle & left lanes are very bumpy with the tar forming into lumps. These sections are areas where you do not find the cemented roads. Most of the vehicles are now driving on the right lanes & do not move to the left to let fast moving cars go by. One has to overtake from the left lane & it is very tricky.

The speed breakers are on the rise & they mostly come in pairs 10~15 meters gaps. So if you miss noticing the first one, you get little time to break to avoid the second one.

Return journey is planned for 1st Jan.
Happy New Year (in advance) to all.

Drive safe
Old 26th December 2011, 10:32   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did BLR - BOM on 23-24th Dec.
The speed breakers are on the rise & they mostly come in pairs 10~15 meters gaps. So if you miss noticing the first one, you get little time to break to avoid the second one.

Drive safe
Thanks for this latest update. Have the speedbreakers come up anywhere other than the Haveri-Ranibennur stretch? I plan to do the Bangalore-Mumbai trip tomorrow.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:51   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Have the speedbreakers come up anywhere other than the Haveri-Ranibennur stretch?
Buddy, You have to only watch out for the 2 speed breakers at the Haveri - Ranibennur stretch cause if you miss it, they can cause serious damage to your car. The other new ones are very small humps (not sure exact position, somewhere before Satara) for which you need not slow down too much. You can pass them over easily.

Are you planning to do a single day journey or stop over?
lavish_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:57   #1045
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Did Blr-Pune on 21st and heading back tomorrow. Took 13.5 hrs door-to-door in Fluidic Verna, of which last 10 km took 45 minutes as we entered Pune around 6.30 pm and hit peak hour traffic.

The speed breakers are not a total surprise... they are usually at points where there is a village/town on either side of the highway, so you actually get advance notice if you can spot the buildings etc.

In our country it is anyway a good idea to slow down when crossing habitation to allow for 2/4 legged/wheeled beings reinforcing their territorial rights.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:15   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, You have to only watch out for the 2 speed breakers at the Haveri - Ranibennur stretch cause if you miss it, they can cause serious damage to your car.
Are you planning to do a single day journey or stop over?
Thanks for this. Am planning to do this at a stretch.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:42   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Nekfar, I am also planning a trip from Thane around the same time. if you want we can tag along in our vehicles. PM me for details of my travel.

Rishi, I am unable to PM you. Anyways I plan to leave on 30th. What about you? Can you PM me your details?
nekfar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 22:05   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekfar View Post
Rishi, I am unable to PM you. Anyways I plan to leave on 30th. What about you? Can you PM me your details?
Nekfar I am planning to leave on 29th early morning and reach Bangalore by evening.

Can someone confirm if FOG will be an issue early morning around Lonavala area.

I am planning to leave around 3-4 in the morning. But concerned about FOG.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:39   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Nekfar I am planning to leave on 29th early morning and reach Bangalore by evening.

Can someone confirm if FOG will be an issue early morning around Lonavala area.

I am planning to leave around 3-4 in the morning. But concerned about FOG.
Normally, you will encounter fog going south as you cross the Khandala tunnel just before reaching Khandala-LOnavla
Old 27th December 2011, 14:53   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekfar View Post
@nekfar, I am travelling from Mumbai to Bangalore on 30th. I plan to leave at 4 am. I think your PM feature is still not active.

Last edited by nileshch : 27th December 2011 at 14:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks