Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 15:12   #2311
BHPian

Hi All!

One of my friend wants to travel to Udupi from Bangalore sometime next week. He wished to know whats the best route for the same.

He will be travelling with family in his 8 year old, yet, a rocking Palio!

Please suggest!
Old 7th July 2010, 15:54   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Hi All!

One of my friend wants to travel to Udupi from Bangalore sometime next week. He wished to know whats the best route for the same.

He will be travelling with family in his 8 year old, yet, a rocking Palio!

Please suggest!
On one of my friend's recommendation who is a regular traveller between Bangalore-Udupi, I recently travelled via Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmaglur-Sringeri-Udupi and it was a good route.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:51   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
On one of my friend's recommendation who is a regular traveller between Bangalore-Udupi, I recently travelled via Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmaglur-Sringeri-Udupi and it was a good route.
Thanks Ravindra. I will tell him the same. He is aware of that route as he had taken the same 3 years ago. So i guess he will be happy to take it!

Guys, more suggestions welcome
Old 9th July 2010, 09:55   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Some pics from the weekend drive to Mangalore

The Magadi-Kunigal road is awesome!

The Shiradi ghat is slowly getting bad at some places like this.But I did see that some bad patches seen on my last drive (some 2 weeks before this) were repaired!!

I am not able to reduce the size of the pics..hence pasting the imageshack link :(

ImageShack Album - 2 images
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1.jpg  

Last edited by speedsatya : 9th July 2010 at 10:15.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:56   #2315
Senior - BHPian

The buses are still reaching on time, Durgamba which took off at 10 from Bangalore reached Mangalore at 5:30...
Old 9th July 2010, 11:22   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The Magadi-Kunigal road is awesome!
+1 to this. I particularly enjoy driving on the stretch near Savandurga. Awesome road quality, with some terrific scenery !
Old 12th July 2010, 14:11   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Ravindra, Can you please help by giving a bit detailed route?

My guess is:
Bangalore - Hassan - Mudigere(or belur) - aldur - Sringeri - Karkala - Udupi

Is this right?
(Comes to around 443 Kms from mapmyindia)
Old 13th July 2010, 15:57   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
I'm planning to drive to Udupi this weekend and planning for the following route, BLR-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Ballehennur-(Hornadu -Kalsa)|Sringeri-Kudremukh-Karkala-Udupi. Last year when I travelled till Kudremukh this route was in great shape. Can someone update me on the current situation?
Google maps shows another alternate route via Mudigere-Kottigehera-Kalsa, in such case I can avoid Chikmagalur-Ballehennur-Sringeri altogether and it'll be slightly shorter. How is this stretch? I was told by a cab driver that the Mudigere-Kudremukh road is not that good but I want to know from someone who have travelled on this route recently.
Also please let me know about the places nearby Udupi where I can make a visit. My preference is scenic places than historical places/temples.
Regards,
Old 13th July 2010, 16:21   #2319
Senior - BHPian

I guess its my turn now

I will be driving down to Bangalore and i think i will be taking Shiradi itself.
btw any updates on Madikeri route?
Old 13th July 2010, 16:49   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Ravindra, Can you please help by giving a bit detailed route?

My guess is:
Bangalore - Hassan - Mudigere(or belur) - aldur - Sringeri - Karkala - Udupi

Is this right?
(Comes to around 443 Kms from mapmyindia)
We followed another route as below :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi
Old 13th July 2010, 17:16   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We followed another route as below :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi
Aah, why I didn;t thought about Agumbe , thanks for posting this route. How is the route? Sringeri-Agumbe-Hbri section? Good roads? I can use this as the alternate route while returning/going.
Samurai San, where are thou, need your inputs also.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:39   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi All,

Google maps shows another alternate route via Mudigere-Kottigehera-Kalsa, in such case I can avoid Chikmagalur-Ballehennur-Sringeri altogether and it'll be slightly shorter. How is this stretch? I was told by a cab driver that the Mudigere-Kudremukh road is not that good but I want to know from someone who have travelled on this route recently.
Also please let me know about the places nearby Udupi where I can make a visit. My preference is scenic places than historical places/temples.
Regards,
I had been to Kalasa/Kudremukh this weekend and I had taken the Blr-Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh route.

Hassan-Belur: Excellent

Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere: Good single lane road

Belur-Cheeknally-Gonibeedu-Mudigere: Pathetic. Avoid at all costs

Mudigere-Kottigehara: Good road

Kottigehara-Baalur-Javali-Hirebyle-Kalasa: The road from Kottigehara to Baalur is good. Baalur-Javali-Hirebyle is very good as it is a newly laid road. Hirebyle-Kalasa is very rough. There are no potholes, but the road surface is chipping off.

Kalasa-Kudremukh: Good road

I'd suggest you take the Mudigere-Kudremukh road, but it might take longer since they are ghat roads. But this is a very scenic route.

If you reach Kudremukh early, do visit Hanumangundi falls (inside the national park). It is a lovely spot.

EDIT: On the other hand, the Agumbe route too is one of my favourites

Last edited by addyhemmige : 13th July 2010 at 17:40.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:56   #2323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This route is best, avoid Kalasa route, it is too slow and tiring. Coorg route is also long, even though it is one of the prettiest, it is starting to get bad, I drove by last week. There is a price for everything.

The coastal roads are fast deteriorating as expected, as designed. Any road condition data older than 2 weeks won't give accurate info. I love costal monsoon!

I'll mostly get my Jeep this saturday, after that I'll start travelling in routes other than Coorg route.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:59   #2324
BHPian

Kaushik, Bangalore - Udupi options :

1. Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - mudigere - kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Udupi : Mudigere to Kalasa via kottigehara is going bad ( narrow estate roads ) - not worth trying though Belur to Mudigere is good now

2. Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Magundi - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Udupi : balehonnur to magundi ( 13 kms ) is rough, though drivable. Visit Hornadu from kalasa.

3. Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Udupi : Roads around Agumbe and Hebri are fast deteriorating. suggest take this route visit Sringeri

4. Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - SK border - Karkala - Udupi : is the best option as of now ( Believe me, sringeri to SK border road is in good condition now !! )

Hope this helps..
Old 13th July 2010, 19:50   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Wow, TBHP rocks!! Thanks for all the options. I'm still trying to figure out all the data.
@addyhemmige,Samurai,
Sringeri-Agumbe route I'll definitely take as I long wanted to drive through that area and now is the chance. And I can take the Kudremukh route while coming back as then I'll have some time to visit the places there also.

@RoamingRao, which place is SKBorder? I'm not able to find that place in the map?
I've been to Kalasa/Hornadu last year, loved those places(infact I love those parts of Karnataka most as it reminds of my home ) and would love to take that route again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks