Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2014, 11:25   #5176

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
How was the traffic on this route? How long did you take to complete the journey? The last time I did this route,there were patches at Belur which had pretty big craters. Have they been relaid?
Traffic was light. I left Udupi at 1530 hrs and reached Bangalore at 2300 hrs with a half hour break at Ujire and half hour break at Hassan for dinner. Roads are patchy only for about a half a kilometre when you reach Belur town
Old 18th May 2014, 23:11   #5177
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Just back from a same day return drive. Took 5.5 hours to reach Konaje via Melkar. Inspite of deciding against it , I end up starting around 2-3 pm from Mangalore. I was expecting the usual jokers ( Bangalore registered cabbies , self driven rented cars , ..) ,but to my surprise traffic was not very heavy and needed just 1.45 hours to reach Sakleshpur. But from Hassan onwards , it was just torture ! Needed 3.5 hours to reach Nelamangala only to be caught in a big block for close to 30 mins. This jam along with long queues at the toll booth are a regular sight now on Sunday evenings. Overall needed 7.5 hours to reach Bannerghata.

About the road , the Hassan Bypass is now easily the most dangerous stretch on this route during daytime. Bikers , truckers, tempos ,.... You just have to be careful
The ghat is fine for now , but recent showers have already left their mark at some stretches. It just gets bumpy and one has also to be careful about a few potholes that have come up in the middle of the road , especially on curves. At some places whee the road has been newly tarred , my tires were squealing for grip. Some spirited driving on the downhill section can be tricky under hard braking.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Last edited by speedsatya : 18th May 2014 at 23:14.
Old 19th May 2014, 00:19   #5178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This jam along with long queues at the toll booth are a regular sight now on Sunday evenings. Overall needed 7.5 hours to reach Bannerghata.
The original reason of why we avoided 4-lane was because of the construction. Looks like we need to look at the same old alternatives now to beat the traffic on the same 4-lane.

For south side, how about the old option:

Kunigal-Magadi-NICE?
Old 19th May 2014, 08:13   #5179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

For south side, how about the old option:

Kunigal-Magadi-NICE?

I think planning an entry into bangalore by 3 pm shouldn't be okay.
Also I thought I saw red patches on the road after Sakleshpur , these were seen during the days of mining trucks before they were banned.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400467513.099705.jpg

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos

Last edited by Samurai : 19th May 2014 at 09:36.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:24   #5180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I think planning an entry into bangalore by 3 pm shouldn't be okay.
Even I have been subjected to that crowd a couple of times. I am not a regular. So for me it was OK. But otherwise all the advantage of 4-lane highway goes down the drain once you hit Nelamangala. Even if you discount the toll booth queues, the jam at Nelamangala where NH48 meets NH4 is by design! They could have easily avoided that. At least at the NH48/NH4 intersection they should have made a flyover even for the non-tolled NH4 road. Because they ought to have known that in advance, that there would be heavy traffic meeting in there.

As regards to queues on toll booths, that cant helped. And not mention people jumping the queues.
Old 20th May 2014, 14:24   #5181
BHPian

A set of new rumble strips have been laid at the intersection just after the Bellur Cross toll while heading towards Hassan. Similarly, these humps were laid on the other side heading towards Nelamangala.

In my opinion, it shouldnt throw any nasty surprises because there were adequate Sign Boards and Reflectors placed. Also since this intersection is under a kilometer from the Toll Plaza, the speed we carry is anyway low.
rohittunga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:47   #5182
BHPian

I drove up from Mangalore to Bangalore this past saturday with wife and son. I didn't experience much problems although I was doing this stretch after 3 years. I actually wanted to start early morning, but despite best efforts could only start at 10.30. But it sort of was a blessing in disguise as the Traffic was very light despite being a weekend. I reached Nelamangala at 5:00 with a 1 hour lunch break at Sakleshpur and stops every 1-1.30 hours as I was a lone driver.

Overall it was a pleasant experience, the ghats were in good conditions and after Hassan it was a breeze. Also there was not much congestion at the Toll plaza's.

But one thing I noticed was at every intersection or a minor village, there were proper markings all the way which helped me in being cautious and slowing down on approaching the intersections.

But from Nelamangala to Whitefield it took me 2 hours. With frequent Traffic jams and light rain, these 2 hours was the tiring part of the entire journey.

I will be driving back next Saturday and hope will have a similar experience.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:03   #5183
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I would be travelling from Bangalore-Sullya coming weekend via Mysore-Madikeri. Couple of questions just to make sure me and my car are well prepared in advance.

1. How is the road condition from Sampaje-Sullya?
2. What is the current weather condition and during next week?
3. Also I would need your suggestions on the best hotel on the way for lunch, probably between Hunsur and Madikeri.

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:07   #5184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi,

I would be travelling from Bangalore-Sullya coming weekend via Mysore-Madikeri. Couple of questions just to make sure me and my car are well prepared in advance.

3. Also I would need your suggestions on the best hotel on the way for lunch, probably between Hunsur and Madikeri.

Thanks in Advance!!
Hey, you really want to drive via Mysore? The best route to Sullia now is Bangalore - Hassan - Gundya - Kukke - Sullia. Excellent roads all the way upto Sullia.

Sampaje - Sullia is not completed. Its raining intermittently. The Sullia - Sampaje stretch may be tricky if its raining since the work is not fully completed.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:10   #5185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1 to @guyfrmblr. Take the Shiradi/Kukke road. Its much much better. WInding roads, but very cleanly laid out roads. For food, you can break Channarayapatna and Sakleshpur.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:21   #5186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Hey, you really want to drive via Mysore? The best route to Sullia now is Bangalore - Hassan - Gundya - Kukke - Sullia. Excellent roads all the way upto Sullia.

Sampaje - Sullia is not completed. Its raining intermittently. The Sullia - Sampaje stretch may be tricky if its raining since the work is not fully completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 to @guyfrmblr. Take the Shiradi/Kukke road. Its much much better. WInding roads, but very cleanly laid out roads. For food, you can break Channarayapatna and Sakleshpur.
Thanks for the update. But don't you think that would be a longer route compared to the one via Mysore. As per me it is 300Km if we travel via Mysore.

Also what would be the time taken to travel via above route mentioned by you.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:37   #5187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. But don't you think that would be a longer route compared to the one via Mysore. As per me it is 300Km if we travel via Mysore.

Also what would be the time taken to travel via above route mentioned by you.
Its little longer but its some 1000 times more peaceful compared to Mysore road . If driven sedately, it would take around 6 hours.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:42   #5188
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I use this exact same route to go to kukke subramanya temple as well? Says it's about 50km from sullia.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:50   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can I use this exact same route to go to kukke subramanya temple as well? Says it's about 50km from sullia.
Yes, its the best route to Kukke Subramanya. Subramanya is before Sullia.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 22nd May 2014 at 12:52.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:01   #5190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Its little longer but its some 1000 times more peaceful compared to Mysore road . If driven sedately, it would take around 6 hours.
And I will be driving on a Sunday(June 1st), how about the traffic on sunday's on this stretch? I am worried about the Shiradi with these gas tankers and taxi's
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks