Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:08   #5521
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Take any route but avoid Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe for the next few days. There was a gang rape and murder of a 14yr old girl on 1st in Thirthahalli. The quiet and peaceful town of Thirthahalli is observing bandh today. There have been instances of stone pelting, lathi charge, teargas firing, firing in the air, etc. So do avoid this road for a few days. The incidence has taken political/communal flavor.
Yeah read about the story. Hope people get justice soon.

I will take the normal route as suggested by others here.
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:26   #5522
BHPian

Last week my cousin made a round trip bantwal- Bangalore- bantwal in a 2005 LPG Omni. Fully loaded with luggage, 5 people on board all in the age group of 45+. They made both their up and down trips in flat 7 hours including 45 min break. This was the first time my cousin was driving up here. I was shocked when they told roads were better compared to what they drive on everyday at home.
Old 4th November 2014, 11:38   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks!

You folks are lucky! I would have loved to spend more time in the ghats as well .
See this quote from another thread:

The above quoted thread has good amount of information but no information on how to get more time.
You can get more time by buying a ticket to the waterfalls ( Hanumangundi ). Show the ticket at the exit gate and there will not be any questions asked why you overshot the time.
Old 9th November 2014, 04:24   #5524
BHPian

I am taking this route and will be leaving in short while now.

Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Bajagoli-Karakala-Udupi

Appreciate if someone can guide me on good breakfast point on the way.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2014, 11:58   #5525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Bajagoli-Karakala-Udupi
Yesterday I had the same dilemma for lunch while driving the other way. Grab breakfast before crossing Hassan, after that there is no decent place with proper rest room, etc. Yesterday I had to starve until 2:30pm when I reached Hoysala restaurant near Hassan.
Old 9th November 2014, 12:08   #5526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Appreciate if someone can guide me on good breakfast point on the way.
As Samurai said nothing pretty much after Hassan. There is a KSDTC Mayura at Belur, but at best average. Best would be to get your breakfast at Hassan.
Old 9th November 2014, 13:00   #5527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I had the same dilemma for lunch while driving the other way. Grab breakfast before crossing Hassan, after that there is no decent place with proper rest room, etc. Yesterday I had to starve until 2:30pm when I reached Hoysala restaurant near Hassan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Samurai said nothing pretty much after Hassan. There is a KSDTC Mayura at Belur, but at best average. Best would be to get your breakfast at Hassan.
Yeah.. Could not find anything.

Had few Snickers and Tropicana. Managed to reach Udupi by 10:30 for breakfast.

Road was pretty good. Some bad patches after Beltamgadi.

Returning back now.
Old 9th November 2014, 23:06   #5528
BHPian

There is a KSTDC Mayura in Hassan at about 100 metres from the Hassan - Belur deviation. The food is good and the rest rooms are clean. I have been here a few times during my travel for breakfast and dinner.
Old 9th November 2014, 23:21   #5529
Distinguished - BHPian

At Belur (and for Breakfast) you have at least 3 good options.Vishnu Prasad and Gayathri facing each other

Further ahead you have Sumukha Regency and Vishnu Regency and both are better than the previous two.

Mind you,KSTDC Mayura is NOT an option for Breakfast at all when in Belur.

Gone are "those" days when Belur had nothing for travelers to stop by. As of now,at least when it comes to decent Vegetarian Food (Breakfast and lunch)you can try what's mentioned above.

I have been recommending these to many and all have come up with good (if not very good or great)feedback.

Stick with typical south Indian food for both the meals and you are on safer side.

Oh no. Not promoting shanty hotels here. If so, I would've recommended to stay In Belur also that I almost never do. But for food,try them out rather than relying on Lays,Good Day and Kurkure ☺.

And yes, decent rest rooms as well!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th November 2014 at 23:26.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 23:33   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At Belur (and for Breakfast) you have at least 3 good options.Vishnu Prasad and Gayathri facing each other

Further ahead you have Sumukha Regency and Vishnu Regency and both are better than the previous two.
Certainly will try these hotels on next visit.

[Off Topic] : Looks like roads within Belur / Hassan will never be improved. Have been seeing them almost in same condition or even getting worse for quite a number of years now.
Old 10th November 2014, 09:52   #5531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Certainly will try these hotels on next visit.

[Off Topic] : Looks like roads within Belur / Hassan will never be improved. Have been seeing them almost in same condition or even getting worse for quite a number of years now.
but over more than one year the road inside Hassan town has improved in a sense that the 4 lane is done now from Thaneeruhalla to Santhepete Circle which earlier was a major pain area. However, this hasn't improved much in terms of commuting time in getting out of the city.

I drove only 2 weeks before and as usual continued on the Hassan bypass crossing 2 intersections (Mysore road & Gorur Road) and then turned right crossing the Railway track and joining straight at Thaneeruhalla to take right for Belur from here.

This is a mere 600 meter stretch of which the first 200 meters between the Bypass exit and the Railway track is bad (very bad for low slung cars). The road after the Railway track till it hits NH48 (remaining 400 meters) is in good shape as they laid roads few months before.

I always take this road to get to Belur road (Ertiga and WagonR) and in case you have a ride that has no low GC issues, you can easily bet on this option.

The Gorur road exit (Turning right at second intersection) used be be preferred option during rains but this has/Had developed huge potholes that I would avoid that after that.

For a cleaner (but progressively slower) option, take right at the first intersection (Mysore road and the one that goes in front of Bus stand).

Belur faces another problem: Every since the main road became part of National Highway (234), it has never undergone any repair work at all. Even the Belur-Halebidu road that is mere 16 kms is in shambles ever since it became part of this NH. So, as soon as you enter Belur town at the main circle (BPCL Station), the roads are bad till you turn left at Basaveshwara circle for the Temple. Heading straight from here is what takes you to Mudigere and beyond. So, essentially till you cross Belur town the roads are bad even today.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th November 2014 at 10:10.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:39   #5532
Senior - BHPian

Some time in May, my family and few other cousins were returning from Kudremukh and were very hungry. Since we were fast approaching Belur, I called Parag and he referred me to Vishnu Prasad in Belur. We went there and found the hotel to be crowded. We waited some 10 mins and could get a table. We ordered masala dosas and it was simply superb. Cant forget the taste. Forget having a quick bite when hungry around Belur, I wouldnt mind stopping here just to have the dosas. Needless to say every family person liked it.

If I remember correctly, they use firewood in the kitchen and that adds a bit more to the taste.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:50   #5533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Are any of these on main road, say Mudigere-Hassan route? Only Vishnu Regency is mentioned on Google maps, but it is not the main road.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:58   #5534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are any of these on main road, say Mudigere-Hassan route? Only Vishnu Regency is mentioned on Google maps, but it is not the main road.
There are 2 on the main road:
Vishnu Prasad (Left hand side when you drive towards Mudigere)
Gayathri (Exactly opposite to Vishnu Prasad)

Vishnu Prasad & Vishnu Regency is run by the same family. While Vishnu Prasad exists since more than 40 years, Vishnu Regency was started as the first Hotel to serve North Indian food and now settled to South Indian only. However, this Hotel is situated at the very beginning of Biccodu road (That leads to Arehalli and Sakleshpura).

Vishnu Prasad is not difficult to miss. Its the first Building on left as part of the 2 storied Town Municipal Complex. This is perhaps the only complex you get first as you enter Belur town crossing the main Bridge and a few petty hotels/shops.

To go to Vishnu Regency you need to turn left at the Bus Stand circle (Basaveshwara Circle) and take the left fork ahead where the right one leads to the main temple. You can actually take this route to reach Mudigere road from behind the Temple as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th November 2014 at 11:00.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 00:02   #5535
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea on how to get from Gokarna to Murudeshwar?

I don't see any buses from KSRTC. And the trains are at a time that is inconvenient to us.

If there are no public transport options available. We might have to book a cab or the sort.

Any ideas are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks