Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 16:33   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

I suggest you go for the Corolla, It is the most reliable of the lot, and will give you a great ownership experience with great after sales and support, unlike the VW/Skoda cars.

I agree that it has only 2 airbags, but take a test drive and you'll see that the build quality is good enough to take a beating while still protecting the occupants.

If for some reason, the Toyota does not appeal to you, go for the VW, but definitely not the Skoda. There are just too many horror stories with Skoda, and you don't want to lose your peace of mind for some german trash.

All the best for your purchase.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 00:50   #452
BHPian

Re: Yet another D1 query

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post

Could you point me to an article or source that talks about the Jetta update?

Well, the fuel efficiency issue shouldn't come up, considering it will be driven very sedately, no harsh acceleration, rarely exceeding 90/100 kmph. But anyways, thanks for the pointer, would love to know other little things about the car, or owning a german car in general.

The new variant will be based on the MQB chassis and will be expected to launch only on the last quarter of 2016 or maybe early 2017 as well. It's only after the Passat lands up here the Jetta is going to be launched. Here are two articles which point towards the new Jetta.

http://http://indianautosblog.com/20...ndering-182769

http://http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/...-review-740192 (Read last para in this link).

Owning a German car till now for me has been good. I have a Vento TDi and till now no issues with the car. I have finished 57000 kms and till now no fuss at all. It's rock solid highway manners and a flexible diesel engine which is powerful as well as frugal are great advantages out on the highway. Comfort is also not compromised but it's best as a four seater.
Aniruthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 12:56   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yet another D1 query

Quote:

Yes, SUVs are pretty much not an option.

Ok, so the popular opinion seems to be, go for the Toyota for its no nonsense nature, even though Jetta is the 'better' car.

I have a few questions:

1. How bad is the Corolla's build quality in comparison to the solid German? I mean, it's already lacking a few airbags, another few safety systems. How much would we be compromising on actual physical strength of body?

2. I would really like to understand this part about german cars more. I understand parts are costly, and sometimes unavailable. Are they prone to niggles - say electrical faults, and stuff like that? What exactly do we mean when we say the Corolla is reliable and the Jetta is not. (I mean I have a rough idea of this, but a concrete discussion should help not only me, but a fair number of newbies too afraid to ask)
The Jetta is definitely a better car in terms of build, ride/handling, and safety - though the Corolla has it beat on all the other fronts (performance, seat comfort (reclining seats), ease of maintenance, etc.

With regards to your points:
1 - As correctly pointed out, do check out the NCAP rating (and videos). Though it will not be applicable in our context owing to lesser safety features - but will give an idea of the body. The corolla feels a lot lighter no doubt, but it wouldn't be flimsy - with the proper use of materials and design (aluminium, crumple ones, etc.), safety need not be significantly compromised with a lighter structure.

2 - By and large Germans are reliable. However, given they strive for innovation - some niggles to seep in. A price to pay for better tech (such as the DSG gearbox). In the case of the Jetta, the niggles should be a lot lesser given the car is quite simple.
However, be warned that given most parts are built for use in cleaner environments, they do not fare very well in our dusty climate. Most common issues faced by most VWAG users relate to the A.C. and electrical modules such as ABS.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 10:32   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rules out the new Octavia diesel because of its unsettled rear end. Even in medium-level ghat cornering (not too hard) on typically Indian roads, the rear end refuses to stay composed and is all over the place. Reason = Cheaper torsion beam rear suspension (the Laura & Jetta both use a more sophisticated multi-link).

Wow. Good technical update from GTO. I am in market looking for a replacement of my 4 year old Vento AT. Smitten by the overall VW offering, my options are limited to Octavia or Jetta only. Since I need an AT and due to price constraints, am drifted towards Octavia ambition diesel DSG. My query is around the suspension you mentioned and how big is the difference. Comment from my view where I am upgrading from a Vento and thus would request if you can rate Vento and versions of Octavia on scale of 10 for rear suspension and in which situations do you think I would feel the difference. I like pushing the car and just get to corner hard at the roundabouts of chanakyapuri in Delhi. Don't think will ever take the car to a track. Another thing I've done on all new cars is switch tires with michelins on day one. Pls recommend if the same is needed on Octavia also which comes with good years or not. Thanks in advance
Old 30th December 2015, 11:29   #455
BHPian

A big thanks to everyone for their inputs. (Sorry for the delay in updates, been really busy car-storming )

Anyways, we test drove the Corolla and quite liked it. The Jetta Petrol seems to be out of production at the moment (according to VW Ludhiana), so that's that.

We have almost decided on the Corolla Altis GL (highest version on the manual petrol). I had a doubt in mind. 2016 will technically be the 50th anniversary of the worldwide Corolla launch (1966). I tried looking around the internet for any news on a special edition Corolla to celebrate this, but couldn't find anything. I mean, we wouldn't want to miss out on maybe a few extra airbags or maybe a sunroof thrown in as a part of a special edition. Would anyone here know anything about this?
Old 30th December 2015, 14:48   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have almost decided on the Corolla Altis GL (highest version on the manual petrol). I had a doubt in mind. 2016 will technically be the 50th anniversary of the worldwide Corolla launch (1966). I tried looking around the internet for any news on a special edition Corolla to celebrate this, but couldn't find anything. I mean, we wouldn't want to miss out on maybe a few extra airbags or maybe a sunroof thrown in as a part of a special edition. Would anyone here know anything about this?
The Corolla is a legendary marque so you can be absolutely sure that they will launch some kind of limited edition version or have some nice offers up on it's 50th anniversary but I would not bank on extra airbags mate. Until Toyota brings 6 airbags to their flagship models like the Camry and Fortuner, I am sure they will not do that with their Corolla. A sunroof or some other little additions like a different choice of colours or upgraded ICE might be available though along with some 50th anniversary badges all over the place so if you are in no hurry to buy a car, I'd suggest waiting. May not be worth it on paper but just adds to the feel good factor IMO.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th December 2015 at 14:49.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:07   #457
BHPian

For each one of us, (tbhp members) isn't car an emotional buy? well for me it is for sure.
Test drove the Octy TSI and have decided to bring it home may be by this month end or early feb.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:41   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats and join the club. Am a proud owner of a Rio Red one since last 2 weeks :-)
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 14:23   #459
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am writing here with quite a bit of a conundrum.
I am in the lookout for a D1 Sedan to replace my i20 (2012, diesel).

My budget is around 17 lakhs, ex showroom, Bangalore.
Road tax, insurance, running costs, etc, will be taken care of by my company, and hence the only thing which matters, is the ex showroom price, and the corresponding EMI to be paid to the company.

My usage will be low for the first two years, with an average of 20 km per day, and an occasional 300 - 400 km run per month. Equates to 12,000 km per year.
From the third year onwards, the daily usage will become 50 km per day, and have the same 400 km run per month. Equates to 22,000 km per year.

My shortlist is whittled down to the Jetta, Octavia, Elantra and the Cruze.

Diesel

Volkswagen Jetta Trendline ₹ 15,60,000.00
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline ₹ 18,00,000.00
Chevrolet Cruze LTZ ₹ 17,03,000.00
Hyundai Elantra ₹ 17,35,000.00
Skoda Octavia ₹ 18,22,000.00

Petrol
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline ₹ 15,67,000.00
Skoda Octavia 1.4 ₹ 16,35,000.00
Prices may not be accurate.

My budget is around 17 lakhs, and even that will be pushing it. But given the right push, I may extend it to 18 lakhs.
The EMI difference between 18 Lakhs and 16 Lakhs, translates to around Rs. 4000 per month.

Based on the usage, The head says to go for a Petrol car, but the diesel Jetta, just will not excuse itself quietly will it?
So then I compared the features on the Jetta Trendline Diesel, and the Jetta Comfortline Diesel.

And on the comparision, I find the following differences.
Front fog lights with static cornering lights
Chrome finish on radiator grill
Daytime running lights
Chrome lined AC vents and rotary light switch
Rear centre arm rest with load through provision
Leatherette upholstery
Rain sensor
Park distance control (front and rear) with acoustic warning
Exterior mirrors, electrically adjustable, foldable, heated with surround lighting and kerb view
‘RCD 320’ music system with CD player, 4 speakers in front, USB/i-POD port and Aux-In
Bluetooth connectivity for cell phone operation
Lumbar support for driver seat
Auto dimming interior mirror
Storage pockets on front seat back
Automatic headlamp activation
Coming home and leaving home function for headlamps
Front and rear reading lights
I have highlighted the ones which I feel are absolutely necessary for me, and are not that easily available as aftermarket accessories, and which warrants an upgrade of the variant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So with all this in mind, what do you guys suggest I do?

1. Jetta Diesel Trendline
2. Jetta Diesel Comfortline
3. Jetta Petrol Comfortline or
3. Skoda Octavia Ambition 1.4 Petrol?

I have planned my purchase around April mid. Considering this, will these cars be getting an upgrade this year? When does it reach the market normally?

Also, I test drove the Elantra. It still has the bad suspension that my i20 suffers from, and also, I found the dashboard slightly too overdone to my taste.

Last edited by bharat4ever : 8th February 2016 at 14:25.
Old 8th February 2016, 16:08   #460
Senior - BHPian

Your running seems to warrant a petrol car, although the diesels in this segment are the ones to go for. Amongst the petrol options, the 1.8 TSI is doubtlessly the pick of the lot, but Skoda has its own baggage as a brand.

I wouldn't look at the Jetta petrol to be honest. The diesel is a much better option than the 1.4 TSI and if I were considering a smaller displacement petrol, I would also consider the all-new Corolla. Any particular reason why you haven't?

I would stay away from the Cruze since it is now very long in the tooth. The Elantra doesn't sound like its caught your fancy, so that rules it out.

One last thing; please buy the car in the highest trim possible to avoid any kind of buyer regret at a later point.

Go for the Jetta or the Corolla, both are great options for sure.
Old 10th February 2016, 05:19   #461
BHPian

Thank you I will keep this in mind.
One thing I'd like to know is, if i go for the TL or the CL, is it possible to upgrade the lights to the projector setup with auto headlights at the service centre itself?
Old 10th February 2016, 05:51   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Thank you I will keep this in mind.
One thing I'd like to know is, if i go for the TL or the CL, is it possible to upgrade the lights to the projector setup with auto headlights at the service centre itself?
Upgrading the headlights in the CL or TL would require more than the headlight assemblies. The Jetta has AFS system which will require some additional control modules to be installed as well and will also require some coding. I doubt if the service center would do this.

If you are adventurous, you could go the DIY way and do this upgrade using after market components. Jetta, like any other VW car is quite mod friendly.
Old 10th February 2016, 13:50   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post

As pointed out by graaja, this is no easy task. You'll have to go to the aftermarket to get it done and void the warranty to some extent while doing so.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 12:19   #464
BHPian

Thank you graaja and iliketurtles. I think i'll stick to the double barreled normals for now. And convince myself I like them more.

So, I've also settled on the diesel one for now. It'll either be the TL or the CL. My manager will decide for me :(

Visited the showroom yesterday, and darting in an out of a CL just to get the feel. As I said on another thread, their TD vehicle had ABS problems. Yikes. I hope the retail ones are better.

Also, I nonchalantly asked him whether we can install speakers at the rear for the CL. And he said NO!
Is he trying to sell me the HL? Or is there genuinely a concern?
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:20   #465
BHPian

When I was looking around to upgrade my car in late 2014, I had checked out the Jetta, Octavia, Fluence & the Cruze. I was initially set on a petrol vehicle - my daily commute does not warrant a diesel car, and was almost set on either the Octavia 1.4 TSI or the Jetta 1.4 TSI. However, one test drive of the Jetta TDI convinced me to move towards the diesel, even though I did not need one!

Here was my take after test driving all the above mentioned cars:
For a driver's car:
- If you want a petrol, the Octavia 1.4 TSI is the best choice. I am not mentioning the 1.8 TSI since that is outside your budget. The Jetta 1.4 engine, though good in isolation, does not feel as good the Octy 1.4
- If you want a diesel, the best driver's car is the Jetta TDI. The Jetta multi-link rear suspension is far better sorted than the Octy's torsion beam one

If you want the best suspension to handle bad roads:
- The fluence was absolutely the best in terms of ride quality! the jetta was good, but the fluence was better.

If you want the safest car:
- all the jetta trims come with the same level of safety - ABS, EBD, hill assist, and 6 air-bags. On the octavia, you have to go to the highest level trim to get 6 airbags. All other trims have only 2 airbags. The fluence base version had 2 airbags, and the top version had 4. The cruze (if I remember properly) had 2 airbags

In the end I got the jetta TDI trendline for the best combination of performance, ride quality, safety (big on my list) and solid build quality. 1.5 years and 14000km down the line, I am very happy with the purchase. If there is one gripe that I have with the jetta (Manual version), it is the slightly heavy clutch, which can be a bit of bother in stop-go traffic
anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks