Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 17:06   #406
Senior - BHPian

D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Yes it has been checked. Tomorrow getting it checked again by VW service centre. Price is coming at 52%.

52% of today's sticker price or 2012?
Also are you buying it out of your savings or taking a loan? Pre worshipped car loans are expensive. Probably 17-18% interest. You might want to calculate the amount spent on interest compared to amount spent on new car interest.
Also it might be out of warranty(post the 6 months) and any repairs will cost you a fortune. Do calculate all this before making a buy decision.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th October 2015 at 17:16.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:16   #407
BHPian

Today the car comes for 23.6. I used 22.5 for calculating 52%. I took loan at 4% from my work place. Took loan because its so cheap. 6 months warranty by MFC. Insurance paid uptill May next year.
Old 19th November 2015, 00:22   #408
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Really confused here. I want to upgrade from my Polo to something bigger. I actually wanted to buy Jetta TSI. But the sales guy today brought home a Vento Highline Plus TDI too ...now everyone in the family wants the smaller diesel car which looks good and costs much much less than the Jetta.

I am really confused now. I really liked the Jetta TSI and had to wait really a while to get one confirmed since its not much in demand.

The car will be used primarily in the city and occasionally for long drive (about 1600 kms to and fro to Dad's place). And this is going to be the only car in the family for a long time.

Kindly advise me. Its me against the family, now.
Old 19th November 2015, 06:54   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
Really confused here. I want to upgrade from my Polo to something bigger. I actually wanted to buy Jetta TSI. But the sales guy today brought home a Vento Highline Plus TDI too ...now everyone in the family wants the smaller diesel car which looks good and costs much much less than the Jetta.

I am really confused now. I really liked the Jetta TSI and had to wait really a while to get one confirmed since its not much in demand.
Honestly, when I was less informed, I also thought that the Vento is a smaller version of Jetta so why spend extra money on a Jetta. But later realized that the Jetta is a kind of car that grows on you and as you use it, you appreciate the benefits of it. It is also said that the actual VW quality seen internationally begins with the Jetta here.

In addition the Vento and polo are very similar so you may not feel that you have upgraded.

So my opinion is, if you have the budget for the Jetta ( and are not stretching just because of your love for it) go for it. Your also get safety features like 6 airbags in the Jetta

Get your family to test drive both and I am sure they will feel the difference.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th November 2015 at 06:56.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 07:34   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The car will be used primarily in the city and occasionally for long drive (about 1600 kms to and fro to Dad's place). And this is going to be the only car in the family for a long time.

Kindly advise me. Its me against the family, now.
Totally agree with Rajeev's post above. If you have the budget, go with the Jetta. Get a back to back test drive with the family and that should settle the deal. The interior quality is so different, and it also much better equipped on safety.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 08:38   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1 to Rajeevraj and vb-san. If you have the budget, go for the Jetta.
Here are some key features you get by paying that extra money for the Jetta.

1. The 1.4TSi petrol in the Jetta would be much refined than the diesel mill in the Vento. I believe Vento is notorious for it's diesel clatter.
2. Jetta has both front and rear disc brakes, whereas Vento has drum brakes in the rear.
3. Jetta has 16" alloys vs. Vento's 15" alloys
4. Jetta has 205/55 vs. Vento's 185/60. If you are looking for some spirited driving, Vento would require an upgradeo to 195 or 205. Jetta would also require an upgrade to better tires, but you can use the same size.
5. Jetta has multilink suspension, but Vento has semi-independent suspension.
6. Jetta will have much more cabin space than the Vento
7. Jetta has 6 airbags vs. 2 in the Vento.

Overall, Jetta with it's front/rear disc brakes, 6 airbags and tank-like build scores higher on safety, and also better interiors.

There is one area where Vento scores over the Jetta. With its lower kerb weight and higher torque, Vento would have better driveability in city.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 09:48   #412
BHPian

Big Thanks thanks Rajeevraj, Vb-San and Graaja - much appreciated!

You guys have more or less convinced me. Funny as it sounds, I hav been having sleepless nights for the last couple of days. Now, another question, TSI or TDI?

I don't want any maintenance nightmares, have never owned or driven a diesel car either. That's why I insisted on TSI, but the power of the diesel, better mileage and resale value gives me other thoughts. So TSI or TDI? I know for most it will be a straight forward choice in TDI, but i am really scared/ and if something funny comes up all the rest in the family would turn against me.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:19   #413
Senior - BHPian

As others have said before me, don't go for a Vento if you can get the Jetta.

I have no experience of the Jetta TSI, but to quote the official review of the Jetta 1.4 TSI...

Quote:
The 1.4L TSI Petrol has excellent urban driveability. Superior even to the 2.0L Diesel.

In typical driving situations, you won’t find the engine lacking or struggling in any way - due to its wide torque curve. Sure, it doesn’t have the performance to put an instant smile on your face, but its not a laggard either. You won’t ever hear an average driver complaining about the car feeling underpowered, its par for the course.
The only reason you should go for the diesel is if

a) You want the extra power and punch it offers
b) You'll do plenty of running with the car (read 1200+ kilometers a month)

If you don't do enough running, the TDI makes little sense as you're paying a pretty premium for it. Figuring out that would be the key to picking between the petrol and diesel variant.

Personally, I feel you'd have known by now if you wanted the TDI for whatever reason. The fact you're leaning towards the TSI tells me that you probably don't need it. Stick with the TSI, it'll also cost less to maintain than the TDI.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:28   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want any maintenance nightmares, have never owned or driven a diesel car either. That's why I insisted on TSI, but the power of the diesel, better mileage and resale value gives me other thoughts. So TSI or TDI? I know for most it will be a straight forward choice in TDI, but i am really scared/ and if something funny comes up all the rest in the family would turn against me.
In general I don't think you will face any major additional maintenance or issues just because it is a TDI. But for few reasons, I would say TSI
  • You seem to be leaning towards that anyway. And looks like your running is not going to be high.
  • The TSI is such a sweet, free revving and powerful engine. I go wow with my Vento 1.2 TSI, the 1.4 would definitely be even sweeter. (Not to say that the 2.0 TDI is any less proficient).
  • The additional cost over the TSI so you will need to convince your family all the more .
  • With VW Dieselgate, the impact here is still not clear. So that is something you will need to track/worry about.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:36   #415
Team-BHP Support

The TDI will obviously be more economical. But I would urge you to drive both and take a call. My sense is you'll prefer the TSI.

I drove a Polo TSI (A/T) and was totally blown away by its power and refinement. I also drove a Vento TDI (A/T) and was completely underwhelmed. There's distinct turbo lag, it feels heavier, the diesel clatter is extremely prominent and this could be just an off day but even the steering didn't feel as direct as the Polo TSI.

I haven't driven the Vento / Jetta TSI but if its anything like its hatch sibling on driving experience, its a no brainer in favour of the TSI. I would imagine the Jetta being an overall more premium product, better suspension, bigger TSI engine (than the Polo) will be FAR superior in every respect over the Vento TDI. You should buy the TDI only if resale value and running cost are important. Just intuitively, I would imagine maintenance should not be cheaper for a Jetta TSI over a Vento TDI but I don't know.

Ultimately, drive both and take a call on what you enjoy more.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th November 2015 at 10:42.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:41   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the diesel offers more punch, I'd stick with the TSI even if it is a little 1.4 because at the end of the day it is a petrol; wider spread of revs to play with, more athletic due to the lighter front end which goes to enhance agility and smooth, refined, communicative nature are all factors that I as a petrol-head, simply cannot give up. I have never owned any diesel cars either all though I have driven quite a few and while all impressive in their own right, I always find myself more confident in a petrol car. This is my experience. You should take a nice long test drive of both cars and try pushing them a bit and see which you like. If power and torque are the only things that have you bowled over, you could always have the TSI remapped to be far more exciting. It is a forced induction motor so you could easily expect 30% gains and distribute that power and torque through a wider choice of revs

As for convincing your family, it should not take much effort. While on paper a C2 segment car like the Vento seems to offer 90% of what a D1 segment car like the Jetta does, at 60% of the cost, in reality things are very different. A D segment car just feels so much more complete in every manner imaginable so I'm sure if you take your family for a long-ish drive in both, they will agree as well.

Cheers and goodluck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th November 2015 at 10:49.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:55   #417
BHPian

Thanks Guys for clearing up my muddled mind. I ought to take a test drive of both, and then decide. Will post again once something concrete happens. Thanks again, much appreciated!
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:39   #418
BHPian

finally, went head and booked jetta - comfortline diesel - black. I test drove Cruze, Elantra and Altis - but the heart started comparing every one with the Jetta - So thought, what the heck, I am buying this one.

Test drove both TSI and TDI and it was pretty much a straightforward choice after driving both for the 20 odd kms in the Containter Terminal Road, Cochin.

There wasnt much going about in the showroom - it was practically empty, Perhaps due to the recent developments regarding the emission scandal.

Anyway I was treated like a king there, or, as some said - as the only fool.

Hope VW doesnt shut shop in India for the next five years and NGT does put me behind bars.
nevinfrancis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:38   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra vs the Corolla Altis

Hello experts. Looking for some feedback with respect to a D Segmenter. I am helping a friend with his purchase of a car. Current ride is a Santro AT which will be retained for daily commutes.

Key requirements (No compromises on these points)
  • Roughly a D segment budget (15-25L)
  • Has to be an Automatic
  • Has to be Petrol
  • No SUV/Wannabe SUV's
  • No VAG Group cars (So no Jetta/Octavia)
  • No Pre-owned.
  • Not too worried about Mileage as usage is not too great.

Usage will be mostly on weekends and long drives. Daily duty will be done by the Santro AT.

Apart from the above, the requirement is just a spacious comfortable, decent to drive car. Based on all these, I narrowed down on 2 choices. I don't see any other options.
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Hyundai Elantra

Between these 2, considering the requirements, my personal opinion is that the Elantra is a better option:
  • It is loaded with safety features - 6 Airbags, ESC, VSM.
  • Long list of nice to have features including ventilated seats.
  • The 6 speed TC At box probably makes it a better performer than the Altis.
  • From the 2015 Review, understand that the handling issues that plague Hyundai's have been improved a great deal

Questions:
  • Any vehicle that I have missed?
  • On paper it looks like the Elantra is an excellent package, but it is a poor seller, even behind the Jetta and Octavia. That is not typical for a Hyundai. Any reasons for the same?
  • Any reasons why the Altis is a better option?

Any other inputs welcome. I have basically conveyed the above points and asked him to TD both to see which feels better overall from his perspective. But want to ensure that I am not missing anything since he will go by my recommendations.
Old 8th December 2015, 11:15   #420
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra vs the Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hello experts. Looking for some feedback with respect to a D Segmenter. I am helping a friend with his purchase of a car. Current ride is a Santro AT which will be retained for daily commutes.

Key requirements (No compromises on these points)
  • Roughly a D segment budget (15-25L)
  • Has to be an Automatic
  • Has to be Petrol
  • No SUV/Wannabe SUV's
  • No VAG Group cars (So no Jetta/Octavia)
  • No Pre-owned.
  • Not too worried about Mileage as usage is not too great.

Usage will be mostly on weekends and long drives. Daily duty will be done by the Santro AT.

Apart from the above, the requirement is just a spacious comfortable, decent to drive car. Based on all these, I narrowed down on 2 choices. I don't see any other options.
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Hyundai Elantra

Between these 2, considering the requirements, my personal opinion is that the

Any other inputs welcome. I have basically conveyed the above points and asked him to TD both to see which feels better overall from his perspective. But want to ensure that I am not missing anything since he will go by my recommendations.
Hi there,
Elantra is a good car, though, I didn't find it as plush as the Germans of the D segment. I sat in a Diesel 2015 and it still has that boat like ride. Moreover, the next generation is just around the corner, expect it to hit our shores sometime in 2016 or starting 2017.

Corolla has a better gearbox (correct me if I am wrong) and a good engine. It looks good, is spacious and comfortable and is the most reliable of the lot. Where it suffers is on the equipment levels and safety, which are nothing better than that of a C-segmenter.

If he can extend his budget, he should have a look at the Camry hybrid which is a really compelling package.

If he can wait, he should look forward to the upcoming Civic/ Cruze / Elantra (if they are planned to launch in India).

Or simply check out the VAG group if he is ready to face their A.S.S.

But if he wants to buy something now, the elantra is a better option just for the extra safety on offer. I believe that shouldn't be compromised on any cost.

Regards,
Shreyak.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks