Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 11:00   #316
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

I have booked Toyota Corolla Altis G-CVT, expecting the delivery in a week or two.

I started my search with C2 segment, and booked Honda City Petrol. But some how, given the build quality of the new city, I was not really convinced. My budget is around 15 Lacs, and thought of exploring D1 segment cars. Shortlisted Jetta and Altis. Two reasons to drop Jetta, one, the automatic costs way beyond 20 lacs, two, parents liked Altis more than Jetta. They felt, ingress and egress is better in Altis and it felt roomy. Though, I was very much in love with Jetta, due to budget constraints and parents preference, booked Altis.

EDIT: Forgot to mention another factor. I used my current car Maruti Swift, for more than 9 years!!! And I intend to keep the next car at least for 5 years. With Jetta, I was not sure about this. When my parents preferred Altis over Jetta, that simplified the decision making process. This is definitely mind over heart decision. I owned VW Passat when I was in US. I hope, some day I will own Passat in India too!

Last edited by Selective : 16th October 2014 at 11:16.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 23:16   #317
BHPian

Me too in the same Quandary. How much did the G-CVT cost on road in bangalore?
Old 18th October 2014, 16:41   #318
Senior - BHPian

Booked a Silver Elantra 1.8 SX today after a whole lot of thinking. It is the only car where i get the top end with all the features + safety for 17.9lacs OTR pune for corporate registration.

It wasn't really a heart decision since i started off with the Ciaz & City and came back less than impressed. Hyundai wasn't on my mind since we were already driving a Getz that was due for replacement so thought of trying out a different brand. It will be largely a chauffeur driven vehicle. Then gave up on C segment cause i didn't want a car with poor build or low feature list for 13lacs.

Took a test drive of Altis 1.8, Octavia TSi, Elantra 1.8 and looked at the Jetta (no TD) and after comparing the prices, decided to stretch myself for another 5lacs max and see what fits. There is simply no comparison between the D & C2 segment quality and said to myself - WTH! I keep my car for 5-6yrs so might as well buy the bigger one by spending 5lacs tops more.

Came back impressed with Octavia & Altis but both with the features & safety i wanted were 20+lacs under corporate registration. The Octavia is a great drivers car too and the Altis felt no less in the city. Jetta comfortline is really an average car inside for the passenger. Even the light switches on the roof were rotary knobs! The service costs of the Altis were claimed to be the lowest by the Sales guy from DSK Toyota (5k approx per service). The Europeans i didn't dare to ask! Since the mid variants are all at least 18lacs OTR corporate, i decided to finally give Hyundai a chance.

Started again with Verna as it was a straight fit in my original budget and came back impressed with the quality of interiors. But as everyone said, the drive of the petrol was average at best. The diesel was 12lacs corporate but i didn't really need a diesel with my kinda running. So took a long hard look at the Elantra, took the test drive of the 1.8 AT. Some of the features such as MID aren't up to scratch. The blue illumination was not my taste but the brightness could be dimmed so nice. Asked them to drive me around and realized that Hyundai still makes cars that i like and that i can afford.

The color choices were the same as the new i20 Elite so looked them up on i20 in the yard. Options were the Gold (no desert beige anymore), Blue (Gray actually), Black, Red & Silver. Already had the Maroon Getz and the new Red is similar so dropped that. Blue wasn't blue, Gold was too blingy for a car with such a large expanse, Black and White aren't my colours though i must admit that it did look nice in white. Wish it was the Pearl White ala the Altis but its just a solid white. So the Silver Elantra it was!

Delivery in about 2 weeks time. So i ended up being sensible again but i guess i'm happy since i took 4 weeks and looked up every car at least twice up close before i made the choice.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 19:53   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

So the Silver Elantra it was!

Delivery in about 2 weeks time. So i ended up being sensible again but i guess i'm happy since i took 4 weeks and looked up every car at least twice up close before i made the choice.
Congratulations! Enjoy.

The Elantra is a very sensible choice. I sprung for the Jetta only due to the superior handling and suspension. In many other aspects, the Elantra felt newer.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 20:48   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
Me too in the same Quandary. How much did the G-CVT cost on road in bangalore?
It is 18.70 Lacs OTR Price.

Now the delivery is delayed, as they claim, auto transimission import is lagging! Tentative date of delivery is Nov 10th. When are you getting your car?
Old 5th November 2014, 15:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of my Silver 1.8SX on Monday and now wondering if the driver is going to have all the fun! There are some instant hits and misses that i observed when driving it back home but overall its fun. Coming from a Getz & Ecosport, the engine, clutch & gearbox are absolutely futuristic.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 06:30   #322
BHPian

This is what I love about Team-bhp.
There is a car lover, an enthusiast, who has shared a similar moment of quandary in their life, it helps a heap of other folks to learn and benefit from.

Thanks BackInTheFold for starting this thread, you are my new best friend

A little about me:
I have owned a slew of cars, I am not going to bore you guys with that.
My recent stint was with my Polo GT TDi, I choose this car over the Jetta that I test drove.

I wanted to own a hot hatch and have loads of fun. In the year's time it was with me, I did just that.
In spite of losing a good 3 lakhs in selling my car, I still think I did the right thing.

GTO, Appreciate the direction.
Else, I had plans on plonking a race sequential shifter on the Polo GT for family use

Why?
With one more round of my Polo R Cup pending, I have come to respect the DQ 250 DSG box. It is a beautiful box that has been built by VW. After 7 intense races, practice sessions and a crash, the gear box is still a charm. bullet proof and I love it.

So it is either a rear wheel drive drift machine like the BMW 1 series or 3 series or a Toyota GT 86 (Dreams are meant to be big) with a manual shift or a DSG DQ-250.
Which is the reason to keep the amazing Octavia 1.8 TSI (DSG - DQ 200) out of the mix.

What am I looking for?
1) Laura 2.0 TDI DSG - DQ 250 (Any variant - Multilink suspension)
2) Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG - DQ 250 (Highline - Multilink suspension)

Having developed a good wrappo with the VW dealers, I am comfortable in handling the ASS aspect of these germans. I am considering a pre-worshipped beauty if I get lucky.

I need the support of my friends in Team-bhp, if you find a pre-worshipped Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG. Please direct them to me.

Hoping for an awesome Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG that I could left foot brake and trail brake into every corner

Last edited by raajks : 25th November 2014 at 06:38.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:33   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
This is what I love about Team-bhp.
There is a car lover, an enthusiast, who has shared a similar moment of quandary in their life, it helps a heap of other folks to learn and benefit from.

Thanks BackInTheFold for starting this thread, you are my new best friend

A little about me:
I have owned a slew of cars, I am not going to bore you guys with that.
My recent stint was with my Polo GT TDi, I choose this car over the Jetta that I test drove.

I wanted to own a hot hatch and have loads of fun. In the year's time it was with me, I did just that.
In spite of losing a good 3 lakhs in selling my car, I still think I did the right thing.

GTO, Appreciate the direction.
Else, I had plans on plonking a race sequential shifter on the Polo GT for family use

Why?
With one more round of my Polo R Cup pending, I have come to respect the DQ 250 DSG box. It is a beautiful box that has been built by VW. After 7 intense races, practice sessions and a crash, the gear box is still a charm. bullet proof and I love it.

So it is either a rear wheel drive drift machine like the BMW 1 series or 3 series or a Toyota GT 86 (Dreams are meant to be big) with a manual shift or a DSG DQ-250.
Which is the reason to keep the amazing Octavia 1.8 TSI (DSG - DQ 200) out of the mix.

What am I looking for?
1) Laura 2.0 TDI DSG - DQ 250 (Any variant - Multilink suspension)
2) Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG - DQ 250 (Highline - Multilink suspension)

Having developed a good wrappo with the VW dealers, I am comfortable in handling the ASS aspect of these germans. I am considering a pre-worshipped beauty if I get lucky.

I need the support of my friends in Team-bhp, if you find a pre-worshipped Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG. Please direct them to me.

Hoping for an awesome Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG that I could left foot brake and trail brake into every corner
Good luck with the hunt! DSG's are hard to come by in the used market, partially due to limited offtake in the first place, which is a pity. Fingers crossed for you
Old 25th January 2015, 15:53   #324
BHPian

The 20 lakh Rupee dilemma

It's been a little over 8 months since we started looking for an upgrade to our 2012 Honda City A/T. The requirements chalked out were pretty simple ( or so i thought ) in order

1. Has to be an automatic
2. Has to be a diesel because the City is closing in on the 60000 Km mark in about 26 months.
3. Has to be built well ( Read Safe )
4. Has to appeal to the enthusiast in me ( Read feedback and handling )
5. Budget of 20 lakhs OTR Bangalore ( +/- 3 lakhs )

Looking forward to valuable suggestions.
Old 25th January 2015, 16:05   #325
BHPian

Re: The 20 lakh Rupee dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
It's been a little over 8 months since we started looking for an upgrade to our 2012 Honda City A/T. The requirements chalked out were pretty simple ( or so i thought ) in order

1. Has to be an automatic
2. Has to be a diesel because the City is closing in on the 60000 Km mark in about 26 months.
3. Has to be built well ( Read Safe )
4. Has to appeal to the enthusiast in me ( Read feedback and handling )
5. Budget of 20 lakhs OTR Bangalore ( +/- 3 lakhs )

All your requirements would be fulfilled by one car - The Volkswagen Jetta. Have a look and most probably you would end up buying one! You might get discounts on 2014 stock if dealers still have it.
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 16:11   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
All your requirements would be fulfilled by one car - The Volkswagen Jetta. Have a look and most probably you would end up buying one! You might get discounts on 2014 stock if dealers still have it.
Even i thought the Jetta would be the perfect car for all the requirements i've mentioned but they stopped production in lieu of the upcoming facelift. There are no DSG's available anywhere in the country, trust me i've tried. The new one is expected in the next few months but there is a price bump that's going to come with it. i'm expecting a hike of atleast 2-3 lakhs maybe even more due to the recent hike in excise.
Old 25th January 2015, 16:21   #327
Senior - BHPian

Octavia and Jetta are your only options in the fun to drive diesel automatic segment
Old 25th January 2015, 16:31   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Even i thought the Jetta would be the perfect car for all the requirements i've mentioned but they stopped production in lieu of the upcoming facelift. There are no DSG's available anywhere in the country, trust me i've tried. The new one is expected in the next few months but there is a price bump that's going to come with it. i'm expecting a hike of atleast 2-3 lakhs maybe even more due to the recent hike in excise.
I was aware that the production has been stopped but didn't know that they ran out of stocks as well.
In that case, i would suggest waiting for the new Jetta. If not the Highline, the comfortline would fit in your budget and it does have most of the features. But, i doubt a price hike of 2-3 lakhs considering this is just a facelift and not the all new Jetta which would be launched later.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 16:33   #329
BANNED

Quote:

If the Jetta is out then I can see the Octavia or Audi A3.

I am not sure how FTD is A3 but it does fulfil most of your requirements.
Old 25th January 2015, 16:36   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I was aware that the production has been stopped but didn't know that they ran out of stocks as well.
In that case, i would suggest waiting for the new Jetta. If not the Highline, the comfortline would fit in your budget and it does have most of the features. But, i doubt a price hike of 2-3 lakhs considering this is just a facelift and not the all new Jetta which would be launched later.
Well my assumption is based on the pricing of the current generation Octavia. It was around 26 lakhs OTR for elegance and 23 lakhs OTR for ambition before the excise hike. I'm being told Skoda has upped their prices by 4% so that would mean an OTR of around 27.5 lakhs for the elegance

So assuming the Jetta would be priced closed to the Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If the Jetta is out then I can see the Octavia or Audi A3.

I am not sure how FTD is A3 but it does fulfil most of your requirements.
Wish the A3 was in my budget

Last edited by zombiedriver : 25th January 2015 at 16:43. Reason: Merged posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks