Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 18:22   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I would love to get the Octavia 1.8TSI but its simply out of my reach. I wouldn't mind Elantra at all its just that it kinda seems boring? But do you think its a better car than Jetta?
It's more feature laden than the Jetta and it looks more extravagant, but if you like driving, the Jetta is by miles the better car.

The one big plus the Elantra has for the rear passenger is audio control, don't know if that's a big deal for you. There's no way I'd say the Elantra is better though. If it's sensible you want, the Corolla does sensible a whole lot better.

There might be an Elantra face-lift coming up in some months, maybe it would be worth it keeping an eye out for it.
Old 10th October 2014, 18:39   #302
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
Quandary ends for yours truly, took delivery of an Octavia Ambition TDI AT for 20.3L today.
Congratz on the purchase and good choice of color! Loved the snap. The most mean looking snap of current gen. Octavia (stock) I've seen! Looks stunning.
Old 10th October 2014, 18:44   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
It's more feature laden than the Jetta and it looks more extravagant, but if you like driving, the Jetta is by miles the better car.

The one big plus the Elantra has for the rear passenger is audio control, don't know if that's a big deal for you. There's no way I'd say the Elantra is better though. If it's sensible you want, the Corolla does sensible a whole lot better.

There might be an Elantra face-lift coming up in some months, maybe it would be worth it keeping an eye out for it.
Back after a long break and good to see this thread still going strong.

In addition to the points above, the multi-link suspension in the Jetta makes a whole world of difference on all kinds of road terrain. The Elantra's compromised suspension, much like most of the Octavia variants (except for the 1.8TSI variant) doesn't have the same level of refinement.
Old 10th October 2014, 20:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Back after a long break and good to see this thread still going strong
Good to see you back in the fold, so to speak!

What decision did you come to eventually, out of curiosity? I always love the new car buying process and seeing what became of it!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 21:36   #305
BHPian

Quote:
.... I'd recommend throwing the Corolla Altis into the mix as well, although I don't remember off the bat what kind of safety features it has.
Quote:
Thanks!! I totally forgot about the Corolla. It just doesn't figure on the buyers list so easily these days.
I have been on this track very recently!

Corolla comes with 2 front air bags and no ESP. It sucks in safety.

Corolla is good for in-city driving. Its soft suspension is a breeze over worst of the roads. I wouldn't recommend it for highway driving (coz of the safety).

If your choice is an automatic + petrol, I'm afraid Octavia 1.8 TSI is my recommendation. But you might want to check out the Jetta Highline DSG (good deals should be available on the last few pieces, if you can find one at any dealer). You won't feel you are driving a diesel.

If you don't care about automatic, then I would recommend Jetta TSI.

I didn't find the Elantra good in terms of its handling/steering/auto-box which has rubber band effect.
Old 10th October 2014, 23:28   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Good to see you back in the fold, so to speak!

What decision did you come to eventually, out of curiosity? I always love the new car buying process and seeing what became of it!
Jetta Comfortline mate.

As I'd stated when I started this thread, I was looking for a capable replacement for my Laura DSG which was wrecked in an accident.

Sanjib Bose and I did a group deal at VW Mysore in March and nearly 11,000 km later, I'm still in love with how well-behaved and refined this car is, while still being fun. There was a nice comparison somewhere which said that the Jetta is a refined suit-wearing athlete, while Laura lets the tattoos show when the sleeves ride up

No regrets other than not buying a DSG. I was just not comfortable getting one without extended warranty, which was not available at that time.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 23:32   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
I have been on this track very recently!

Corolla comes with 2 front air bags and no ESP. It sucks in safety.

Corolla is good for in-city driving. Its soft suspension is a breeze over worst of the roads. I wouldn't recommend it for highway driving (coz of the safety).

If your choice is an automatic + petrol, I'm afraid Octavia 1.8 TSI is my recommendation. But you might want to check out the Jetta Highline DSG (good deals should be available on the last few pieces, if you can find one at any dealer). You won't feel you are driving a diesel.

If you don't care about automatic, then I would recommend Jetta TSI.

I didn't find the Elantra good in terms of its handling/steering/auto-box which has rubber band effect.
Apparently the Jetta DSG is sold out pending the launch of the 2015 refresh.

Throwing a curve ball, the older 2WD Yeti variants might be of interest. I'm unsure of the OTR price and availability though
Old 14th October 2014, 07:37   #308
Senior - BHPian

I some how left with mixed feelings after seeing the Jetta Comfortline TSI. Maybe its dealer experience at BU Bhandari which was all show and no go.

They didnt have a TSI TD vehicle. Then there weren't any features in the car to really explain! It is bare bones for a vehicle that costs 17.5lacs OTR. Then the only color available is White and it will take 3 weeks for delivery!

All in all, i left with on a sad note cause i'd pretty high expectations from Jetta but it didnt seem to justify the price tag that was being quoted. Maybe if i'd a TD actually, i would have had a different opinion.

But whats taken the most hit after driving these D1 segment sedans is my opinion about the likes of Honda City, Ciaz etc!!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 14th October 2014 at 07:43.
Old 14th October 2014, 09:24   #309
Senior - BHPian

The VW dealership experience, or at times the lack of it, is what breaks the deal for many. Maybe there's some other dealer you can visit to have the car explained better and get a test drive?

The Jetta is indeed down on features compared to the competition, especially in lower trims. But where it wins is safety and driving dynamics. It's almost peerless in this regard in its segment (I say almost because the Octavia TSI is "da bomb"), so do stick with one of them, else the Elantra and Corolla are always there!

The City and Ciaz offer more features than some of these D1 segment says (like the Jetta), but their fit and finish and driving dynamics leave something to be desired.
Old 15th October 2014, 15:13   #310
BANNED

bit off-topic, is a new Jetta expected ? what are the major upgrades expected ? is there any info on the new Jetta ?
Old 15th October 2014, 15:23   #311
BHPian

The new jetta is expected in the first half of 2015, with a substantial upgrade with grill, headlamps, new LED tail lights, new steering wheel & possibly a 10 bhp bump in the engine power.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 22:25   #312
BHPian

Quote:
I some how left with mixed feelings after seeing the Jetta Comfortline TSI. Maybe its dealer experience at BU Bhandari which was all show and no go.

They didnt have a TSI TD vehicle. Then there weren't any features in the car to really explain! It is bare bones for a vehicle that costs 17.5lacs OTR. Then the only color available is White and it will take 3 weeks for delivery!

All in all, i left with on a sad note cause i'd pretty high expectations from Jetta but it didnt seem to justify the price tag that was being quoted. Maybe if i'd a TD actually, i would have had a different opinion.

But whats taken the most hit after driving these D1 segment sedans is my opinion about the likes of Honda City, Ciaz etc!!
The dealer experience has been underwhelming in Bangalore also. If you care to look past it, the car makes up for it.
With the projected launch of the new Jetta in Feb 2015, I understand that stocks are low. If you can afford it, I'd suggest you wait a bit for the new model's details to be confirmed before making an offer on a 2014 or choosing the newer model.
Old 16th October 2014, 08:32   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
The dealer experience has been underwhelming in Bangalore also. If you care to look past it, the car makes up for it.
With the projected launch of the new Jetta in Feb 2015, I understand that stocks are low. If you can afford it, I'd suggest you wait a bit for the new model's details to be confirmed before making an offer on a 2014 or choosing the newer model.
I dropped the plan to get the current Jetta. I don't want to compromise on a lot of things including color and get a car from a dealer who doesn't sound nice since i keep my cars for at least 5yrs. I was expecting a lot from a car that cost 17lacs (stretching myself by 5lacs!) but there is not a single element that makes me go wow except that its loaded on safety features. Since i'll be driven around mostly in the city, the rear was just about ok place to be.

Unless there is really a steep discount on it beyond the 70k that is being offered, it doesn't make the case for me. Checking out Elantra now or i give up on the D1 space and go back to the Verna.

It is really suprising that the 12-18lacs D1 sedan space has options only at the 12 or 18lac ends! The only option that sits somewhere around 15lacs is Elantra.
Old 16th October 2014, 09:10   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dropped the plan to get the current Jetta. Since i'll be driven around mostly in the city, the rear was just about ok place to be.

Unless there is really a steep discount on it beyond the 70k that is being offered, it doesn't make the case for me. Checking out Elantra now or i give up on the D1 space and go back to the Verna.
Why Verna? There are so many better options. Since you'll be primarily driven around I'd go for the Ciaz or the City, even the Scala/Sunny over it. If you go for one of those cars you've again got a decision to make!
Old 16th October 2014, 09:18   #315
Senior - BHPian

Even the bare bones jetta is better than a top end verna. The latter is scary to drive at highway speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks