Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:35   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I TD'ed the Jetta yesterday and I am impressed. The positives include rock solid build, excellent ride and handling, powerful 2.0TDI, smooth DSG with paddle shifters and updated features including xenons, DRLs, climatronic AC etc.. On the negatives my dad didn't like the looks (too similar to vento) and I felt that the interiors lack the freshness of the octavia.
I think you've pretty much nailed what people like and dislike about the Jetta. Looks and interiors are a subjective thing, but I think that with the facelift the Jetta cannot be mistaken for the Vento from any angle. The interiors of the Octavia are better though, no question about that in my mind.

Quote:
I have some concerns about the Octavia. First of all I need to have the car by October second week which seems almost impossible with the Octavia. And how bad is the Octavias ride quality when compared to the Jettas ride? Next comes my biggest fears about Skoda-ASS. I wouldn't rate EVM VW's service as excellent (polo experience) but I can handle them and they have improved a lot is what I feel. But I got no idea about what to face with Skoda service. I've got enough of "Skoda fears". So with all these risks should I go forward with the Octavia?
I don't think getting the Octavia by October is possible, not even if you grease some palms. Skoda has the allocation really locked down and nothing is being allotted out of turn. You can still enquire and try your luck.

The ride quality is definitely better on the Jetta, but the difference might well not be a deal breaker for you. The rear passengers will feel the difference the most, more than you behind the wheel.

Skoda is trying to improve their service levels, but going
for a Skoda can be a gamble. There are several happy Skoda owners on here too, so make of it what you will. It's.a risk, but a calculated one. VW is still the better bet service wise though.

Quote:
Jetta owners...isn't the touch screen resistive? I felt so as I had to press on the screen instead of just touching it. And where's the vehicle information displayed on the Jetta? On the MID or on the touch screen? What other major differences are there between the Octavia and the Jetta? Should I be worried about the reliability of the DSG? Expert BHPians please guide me in choosing the best.
I don't know if the screen is capacitive or resistive, but the Octavia's head unit does look and feel better. I do quite like the Jetta's, it's just that the Octavia's is slicker.

Vehicle information is displayed in the multi-function display on the dash, not on the head unit as it is in certain cases with the Octavia.

The major difference between the two is not much. The Octavia has better space at the back, is a notchback and has a panoramic sunroof that some love. It's also got auto-dimming outside mirrors, which the Octavia doesn't have.

The Jetta has a better suspension and paddle shifters in its favor, and those 2 things plus the lesser waiting period sealed the decision for the Jetta for me. I really wanted those 2 features, the wife wanted the sunroof. Guess who won?

Don't worry about the DSG, by all records the 6 speed in both cars is very reliable.

In summation, buy the Jetta if you want the better car to drive and better service chain (although not by much), while you should go for the Octavia if you want the newer car with better features and a sunroof. Be prepared to wait for it though.

Good luck, hope I could help.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:14   #212
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade my Polo (while retaining the Linea) to a Jetta/Octavia. Altis and Fluence didn't excite me much so they are out. I TD'ed the Jetta yesterday and I am impressed. The positives include rock solid build, excellent ride and handling, powerful 2.0TDI, smooth DSG with paddle shifters and updated features including xenons, DRLs, climatronic AC etc.. On the negatives my dad didn't like the looks (too similar to vento) and I felt that the interiors lack the freshness of the octavia. These are in no way deal breakers for me but anyway we have decided to give the octavia a shot(yet to TD it)
Comes from another prospective Jetta CL owner, actually after the facelift, Jetta looks more like a shrunk Passat rather than a grown Vento. More so the HL, would get those drool worth LED's and alloys.

There are 2 more issues with the Octavia,
1. Relatively poor build quality - rattling in the panaromic sunroof
2. Being a notch back, the road noise and engine drone intrudes into the cabin - I'm not sure if the AC suffers too (experience from my Octavia vRS mk1)
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 09:03   #213
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade my Polo (while retaining the Linea) to a Jetta/Octavia. Altis and Fluence didn't excite me much so they are out. I TD'ed the Jetta yesterday and I am impressed. The positives include rock solid build, excellent ride and handling, powerful 2.0TDI, smooth DSG with paddle shifters and updated features including xenons, DRLs, climatronic AC etc.. On the negatives my dad didn't like the looks (too similar to vento) and I felt that the interiors lack the freshness of the octavia.
It is a very tough call between Jetta & Octavia because they are very much identical.
+ves of Octavia
  • More peppy to drive because of less weight and wider torque band.
  • Based on latest MQB platform, Jetta will be upgraded to MQB in a year or two.
  • More spacious and fresh looking interiors.
  • Some extra features like sunroof, seat & mirror memory which can be associated with keys, TPMS, MKB, prefill.
+ves of Jetta
  • Multi link rear suspension
  • Six airbags standard in all variants
  • Paddle shift for DSG
  • Hill hold
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 10:51   #214
BHPian

Add to that better showroom and service experience, tasty discounts and better quality of fit and finish, specially the interiors.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 11:48   #215
BHPian

I had enquired about Jetta Highline AT DSG last week. The showroom representative mentioned that the latest version of Jetta HL comes with seat and ORVM memory settings for 3 positions, except that these are to be selected from the MID. No dedicated buttons like in to Skoda. Could not check this as the showroom was crowded with Polo prospective customers and this person was doubling up for Polo and Vento as well.

If this feature is available, Jetta has one more positive aspect to it. The car looks fantastic in DRL and projector headlights switched on.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
The showroom representative mentioned that the latest version of Jetta HL comes with seat and ORVM memory settings for 3 positions, except that these are to be selected from the MID.

That's interesting. Could it be that the sales guy was misinformed/pulling a fast one? In any case, I'll also check on this with VW. I'd love memory seats as a retrofit.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:05   #217
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable replies. I have booked a candy white Jetta TDI Highline AT yesterday. Delivery expected by October first week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Looks and interiors are a subjective thing, but I think that with the facelift the Jetta cannot be mistaken for the Vento from any angle. The interiors of the Octavia are better though, no question about that in my mind.

I don't think getting the Octavia by October is possible, not even if you grease some palms.
Actually its my dad who found the looks uninspiring due to the familiar face. For me the facelifted Jetta with Xenons and DRLs looks like a younger and edgier Passat rather than a Vento. Interiors are solidly built with high quality plastics and faux wood finish but just lacks some newness thats it. Its still very elegant though.

And you are very much right about the Octavia. To make sure I am making an informed decision, I contacted two other Skoda dealers in Kerala and one in Coimbatore. Waiting period in Kerala is 6 months and Coimbatore dealer said they have stopped taking bookings for the Octavia. Add to that many of my relatives gave me very strong warnings about Skoda service. Also AFAIK Octavia is also expensive than the Jetta by some margin. So all in all Jetta it is! I am not that crazy about sunroof and other stuffs. It would have been a good to have feature if I was in Europe. But in Indian conditions better ride quality, peace of mind and value for money prevails.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:06   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
I had enquired about Jetta Highline AT DSG last week. The showroom representative mentioned that the latest version of Jetta HL comes with seat and ORVM memory settings for 3 positions.
I do not think the HL has memory for seats. I test drove the HL DSG and did not find anything like that. Nothing mentioned in the brochures either. Guess I will know for sure in about 10 days
Old 25th August 2014, 18:08   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your valuable replies. I have booked a candy white Jetta TDI Highline AT yesterday. Delivery expected by October first week.
Congrats and welcome to the jetta group. We are slowly but surely growing.
Old 1st September 2014, 13:55   #220
BHPian

I would like to pose a personal question to the experts in this thread (since my question is closely related).

I work in Bangalore and drive about 25-30km per day. Currently I have a 2011 Honda City. Having a chronic back problem and with the traffic, it is getting worse. Wanted to move to an automatic. Main requirement is a petrol automatic, good suspension for the city, good interior space and reliability (peace of mind) and of course a good mileage wouldn't hurt.

Budget is upto 18L (at max).

After some research (on TBHP and outside), was able to only narrow down to the following.
1. Keep the Honda city and buy a Polo DSG
2. Exchange Honda city for a New 2014 Honda city
3. Exchange Honda city for a Corolla Altis G CVT

Right now, i'm more inclined to 3. Kindly advise if this is a good choice and if any alternatives I might be missing. (VW Jetta and Skoda Octavia are both costly for the automatic versions).

Kindly advise.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:38   #221
BHPian

You can also buy the Elantra CRDI AT in your budget, it has comfy ride for the city although lifeless steering on the highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
I would like to pose a personal question to the experts in this thread (since my question is closely related).

I work in Bangalore and drive about 25-30km per day. Currently I have a 2011 Honda City. Having a chronic back problem and with the traffic, it is getting worse. Wanted to move to an automatic. Main requirement is a petrol automatic, good suspension for the city, good interior space and reliability (peace of mind) and of course a good mileage wouldn't hurt.

Budget is upto 18L (at max).

After some research (on TBHP and outside), was able to only narrow down to the following.
1. Keep the Honda city and buy a Polo DSG
2. Exchange Honda city for a New 2014 Honda city
3. Exchange Honda city for a Corolla Altis G CVT

Right now, i'm more inclined to 3. Kindly advise if this is a good choice and if any alternatives I might be missing. (VW Jetta and Skoda Octavia are both costly for the automatic versions).

Kindly advise.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:38   #222
BHPian

If its automatic that you want and plan to use it in the city, then I would suggest you exchange your honda and get the Vento DSG or if you want to keep the Honda, then the Polo DSG. Both the Honda and the Toyota, while good cars cannot match the auto gears that com with VW/Skoda cars.

Having test driven all three, the Honda is the worst out of the three and the Toyota is somewhere in between. The Polo/Vento is by far the best option for an auto box below 12/13 lacs.

BTW, the toyota altis auto is upwards of 18 lacs in Bangalore and you can get a nice discount on the Jetta Auto. Why dont you add a lac or so more and go for that?
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:46   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
You can also buy the Elantra CRDI AT in your budget, it has comfy ride for the city although lifeless steering on the highway!
I generally don't feel Hyundai has high quality in its parts, but my experience was with a Hyundai Accent about 6 years back. Also lifeless steering is a concern for this price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
If its automatic that you want and plan to use it in the city, then I would suggest you exchange your honda and get the Vento DSG or if you want to keep the Honda, then the Polo DSG. Both the Honda and the Toyota, while good cars cannot match the auto gears that com with VW/Skoda cars.

Having test driven all three, the Honda is the worst out of the three and the Toyota is somewhere in between. The Polo/Vento is by far the best option for an auto box below 12/13 lacs.

BTW, the toyota altis auto is upwards of 18 lacs in Bangalore and you can get a nice discount on the Jetta Auto. Why dont you add a lac or so more and go for that?
How about the ride on the Vento/Polo? I felt the Altis was quite planted and was absorbing most humps (D1 segment quality perhaps), unlike the City.

I would love the Jetta Auto, but my understanding is that it is 23L while the Altis G CVT is 18.75L in Bangalore, can't stretch by that much :(
Old 1st September 2014, 15:03   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post

is the Jetta available in petrol automatic version? I see only trendline and comfortline in petrol tsi variant. this would fall into the budget of 18lakh
however if it is diesel highline AT then it would be around 23 -24 lakh in Bangalore
Old 1st September 2014, 15:15   #225
BHPian

Nope, only in diesel, though I am sure you can get atleast 1-1.25L as discounts. Maybe even more. Keep in mind that you are buying a car and not something that you can change very year or so. I would suggest you push your budget a bit rather than going for the corolla.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks