Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 14:48   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
I'm in the same confusion, between the Octavia and the Jetta.

Octaiva 2.0 TDI Ambition(M) - 19.75 Lacs On-Road
Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline(M) - 20.19 Lacs On-Road (80k discount)
I would suggest the Jetta Highline. For the given price difference mentioned, its good value for the additional kit offered (e.g.; 6 airbags, better rear suspension etc.).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 15:02   #167
BHPian

Quote:

I have booked a Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition about 2 months ago (about to cancel), but while waiting for the car I did a bit more study on the resale value and it seems any D segment petrol car will tank when it comes to reselling the car. So I had a look at the Diesel Octy in the same ambition trim and the Jetta Highline Manual. Here is how it shapes up

P.S - Earlier Car was a Honda Jazz
I was under the same confusion sometime back and I decided to go with octavia(2L TDI Ambition).
+ves of Octavia
1) New MQB platform which gives more space. Jetta will be soon upgraded to new MQB platform and current generation will become outdated.
2) More peppy and fun to drive due to less weight and slightly more power. Please note that Octavia has a wider torque range.
3) Much better looking interiors.

+ve of Jetta
1) Better build quality
2) Rear independent suspension. Many people consider this as a deal breaker and my sincere request is to drive both and see it for yourself. Believe me, untill you push the car to limits you wont find much of a difference in handling and torsion beam is bit more stiff which gives better stability at high speeds on highways. Yes ride quality is better in rear seat, but you wont find much of a difference in front.
You are comparing features of Octavia Ambition to Jetta Highline which I think is not fair, do compare with Octavia Elegance and it has more features than jetta highline.

Last edited by B747 : 31st July 2014 at 15:22.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 15:44   #168
BHPian

Re: Diesel automatic- Cruze or Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Thanks again. I have already test driven Jetta and cruze. Will try octavia and decide. You are right, cruze too is getting old!
Cruze is too cramped at the rear and quality of plastics is nothing great, rather I would call it too cheap considering D1 segment. In the handling and ride quality department, Octavia is generations ahead. Dirve both on a twisty road and you will realize it, cruze is damn heavy (197kg heavier than Octy) and this affects it dynamics badly.
Old 31st July 2014, 16:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

1) Go to your nearest second hand car dealer and tell him you want to sell a Skoda Laura or a VW Jetta, you'll be shocked by the prices he quotes you. I thought diesel cars hold better value but sadly my 2 year old Vento tdi is only fetching about 5.5 lacs, which has cost me almost 11 lacs. So forget resale value in d1 segment. Thats only Toyota's forte

2) ask the VW and Skoda dealers about the cost of maintenance of the car over a period of 90k kms. That means the cost of 6 services. I think VW should be cheaper to maintain.

3) yes, Jetta is outdated, but both cars have almost identical features and Jetta will get you many extra features too. Since you are choosing between Octy Ambition and Jetta HL.

4) you will find Skoda to drive better than the Jetta. The latter's steering is still light compared to its sibling from the Czech!

5) if your running is not much why not go in for a TSI variant in either? My Octy TSI 's first service cost me just 6K. That's less than 50 paise per km.

6) Jetta has better colours to choose from, tempest blue is anyone's favorite.

7) Octavia will come with full Leather compared to Jetta's hard to the touch leatherette interior.

8) finally it comes down to service and after sales. Check about the reliability of the dealers. Choose the car whose dealer is very good in after sales, you'll only know by asking around. After all spending 20 lacs on a premium car, we need good service, that's what i have learnt the hard way.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 31st July 2014 at 17:03.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 17:21   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please help me decide on the Octavia or Jetta or I should throw this all out and retain the booking for the Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition, but then resale matters to me as I'm middle class and do change my cars every 4-5 years.
I would have recommended the 1.8 TSI Elegance for you, but if resale is a factor for you, don't go for a petrol car at all, let alone an automatic one. The depreciation hit will leave you reeling.

I'd go for the Jetta since for a little bit more you're getting a whole lot more car. As B747 rightly said, it's an apples to oranges comparison since you're comparing a mid-spec variant to a top-end variant, but for all practical purposes your comparison is a fair one as they both fall in the same price bracket, give or take.

The Octavia has fresher looks, a better interior and slightly more space at the back, but you're getting a lot of bang for your buck by going for the Jetta vs it.

I wouldn't recommend you hold your booking, switch over to either the Octy or the Jetta, my vote goes to the latter for your needs since it has a lot more features at a similar price point and might have slightly better resale and service levels. Take a drive of the Octavia 2.0 TDI and Jetta 2.0 TDI and then take a call. Mind you, the Octavia diesel will also have a very long waiting period. Extremely annoying, but it is what it is.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:25   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aseem,

I test drove the Corolla, Elantra and Cruze.
The Corolla feels cheap and uninspiring, especially the interior.

Resale value is a factor, but not THE factor.
Between the Octavia and Jetta which will have a better resale ?
If you ask me. Purely on the basis of the car, if driving pleasure, interiors, and throttle response is a factor:

Octavia > Jetta

From an after sales standpoint, just based on rumour mill, market image, and actual stories:

Jetta > Octavia

From a resale standpoint, I would have said VW is better then Skoda, however in this case, Octavia is the newer model and Jetta is due a refresh (therefore the discounts), so I guess it evens out, from a resale standpoint:

Jetta = Octavia

Please note, whilst Jetta is offering more and more discounts, Skoda has recently increased prices.

P.S. Did you drive Corolla 1.8 AT or manual, in my experience AT was a lot more fun.

Last edited by aseem : 31st July 2014 at 18:28.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 00:24   #172
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys, I'm leaning towards the Jetta.

B747,
As iliketurtles commented I'm comparing the Octavia Ambition and the Jetta Highline because those are the cars that I'm considering with the discounts bringing the price of the Jetta Highline very close to Octavia Ambition and like Aseem says, they have increased the price of the Octavia.

Adi,

I have already booked the 1.4TSI Ambition Octavia but I am reconsidering that because it will tank badly when it comes to resale.

Aseem,

I test drove the 1.8AT, while the drive itself is nice, that car itself doesn't have a very premium feel, the Touch screen interface, the carbon trim, the plastic and the over all the car itself feels <15L

I'm not certain the Jetta will get a major refresh, a little update on the interior, Piano Black insert, updated steering wheel and maybe a sunroof on the Highline + new front and rear bumpers and lamps.

The new Jetta based on the MQB Golf may not come to India before 2016

I'm ever so tempted to get a year old Mercedes A-class instead

Last edited by merve_extreme : 1st August 2014 at 00:25.
Old 1st August 2014, 01:01   #173
BHPian

This is a wonderful thread which has actually confused me even more. I am looking to buy a second hand 1.4 tsi jetta, 2012 make, but 2013 reg, less than a year old in perfect condition. Just one or two light scratches. The car has done about 9.5k kms till now. What are the things I need to check and how do I go about them in Bangalore? Also what kind of price should I quote for this. I am able to get a brand new one for 17.5L.
Old 1st August 2014, 09:14   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure this pricing is OTR? Looks way too cheaper than Bangalore. Jetta HL is ~22.5L and Skoda Ambition is 21.5L

Could you give a breakup ex-showroom+rto+insurance+EW+handling charges, etc.,?
Old 1st August 2014, 10:41   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
This is a wonderful thread which has actually confused me even more. I am looking to buy a second hand 1.4 tsi jetta, 2012 make, but 2013 reg, less than a year old in perfect condition. Just one or two light scratches. The car has done about 9.5k kms till now. What are the things I need to check and how do I go about them in Bangalore? Also what kind of price should I quote for this. I am able to get a brand new one for 17.5L.
You should quote 10 lakhs. I was getting a Skoda Laura Diesel DSG 2012 with 4 years extended warranty for 12.5 lakhs. Petrol's on the other hand are difficult to sell due to poor resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Are you sure this pricing is OTR? Looks way too cheaper than Bangalore. Jetta HL is ~22.5L and Skoda Ambition is 21.5L

This is incorrect. Jetta high line in Bangalore is 23L with discounts. At least the best I could negotiate.

The Skoda Ambition now is 22.3 lakhs OTR after the price rise.
Old 1st August 2014, 10:52   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post

Here you go, this is Ex-Thane (Near Mumbai), without Octroi but with LBT

Skoda Octavia 2.0L Ambition
  • Ex Showroom Price 16,81,262
  • Insurance Only 65,000
  • Regn. & Service Charges Individual 2,09,251
  • Handling & Depot Charges 6,000
  • Drive Assure 14,919
  • On Road Price INDIVIDUAL 19,76,432

VW Jetta 2.0L Highline Manual
  • Ex Showroom Price 18,11,230
  • Insurance Only 68,936
  • Regn. & Service Charges Individual 2,13,840
  • Handling & Depot Charges 8,000
  • On Road Price INDIVIDUAL 21,02,006
  • Discounts 83,000
  • Final On Road Price 20,19,006

Mumbai Prices are about a Lac more, so Bangalore prices look about right to me (Jetta will have discounts).
Old 1st August 2014, 12:31   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Cruze is too cramped at the rear and quality of plastics is nothing great, rather I would call it too cheap considering D1 segment. In the handling and ride quality department, Octavia is generations ahead. Dirve both on a twisty road and you will realize it, cruze is damn heavy (197kg heavier than Octy) and this affects it dynamics badly.
Thanks. I did another round of TDs and have given up on Cruze and looking at Octavia. The issue now seems to be long period. Dealer in mysore claims he can get in a month. Is it any problem if we take from mysore and register it here in bangalore?
Old 1st August 2014, 12:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
You should quote 10 lakhs. I was getting a Skoda Laura Diesel DSG 2012 with 4 years extended warranty for 12.5 lakhs. Petrol's on the other hand are difficult to sell due to poor resale..
Hi Aseem, thanks for your reply. Was this in Bangalore? Usually Bangalore prices for second hand cars are a bit on the higher side. He is asking for 13.75. I have quoted around 12.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:44   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Is it any problem if we take from mysore and register it here in bangalore?
As far as I recall, chetan_bg got his Jetta from a Mysore dealer and registered it in Bangalore, some others did too. Didn't pose any problem whatsoever. In fact, he does recommend that option to most Bangalore guys.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi Aseem, thanks for your reply. Was this in Bangalore? Usually Bangalore prices for second hand cars are a bit on the higher side. He is asking for 13.75. I have quoted around 12.
I am quoting Bangalore prices and car deal only.

Most Viewed