Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 16:22   #121
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Test drove the Elantra diesel today. Went in with low expectations, perhaps thats why I'm pleasantly surprised. At 17.5 on road (or equal to Jetta mid variant manual diesel), you get an automatic with plenty of features - reversing camera, rear seat audio controls, electric seats, to name a few. NVH was splendid, and low speed city ride was fine.

Downsides - lacks a bit of punch, though performance is acceptable in the 2000-4000 rpm band. Also lacks the Jetta's hewn-from-a-solid-block-of-granite solidity, and I for one prefer wood trim to silver stuff (metal/aluminum/plastic). Rear window shape and sloping roof make rear passengers feel a little jammed-in.

Are there any other serious known issues with the Elantra?
Old 27th March 2014, 14:51   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
Test drove the Elantra diesel today. Went in with low expectations, perhaps thats why I'm pleasantly surprised. At 17.5 on road (or equal to Jetta mid variant manual diesel), you get an automatic with plenty of features - reversing camera, rear seat audio controls, electric seats, to name a few. NVH was splendid, and low speed city ride was fine.

Downsides - lacks a bit of punch, though performance is acceptable in the 2000-4000 rpm band. Also lacks the Jetta's hewn-from-a-solid-block-of-granite solidity, and I for one prefer wood trim to silver stuff (metal/aluminum/plastic). Rear window shape and sloping roof make rear passengers feel a little jammed-in.

The Elantra is a hot-seller and seriously good VFM, and as you pointed out it is a fine car with tons of features, well-controlled NVH and good ride comfort at city speeds.

The Elantra has no known issues really, it is as or more reliable than the Jetta/Octavia at the very least. Hyundai's after-sales too is better than the Europeans, although it's not as inexpensive a car to own as you might think, but then you expect that when you're putting down almost 18 big ones.

The lack of punch and performance is the biggest issue with the Elantra, and I can say very honestly I would have gone with it if it had an engine comparable to VW/Skoda/Chevrolet's. Do you place a priority on a car's fun-to-drive nature? If not, the Elantra is super value for money. If you do, I'd strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 23:15   #123
BHPian

Quote:

I have test driven few cars in last week and I got to say Elantra is the only car that pulls me back. Its sporty vs European plush and luxury options. Power is not that great but good for city driving for sure. Seats are really comfortable than Octavia and Jetta.

However I was surprised that even the top end doesn't come with projector, led lamps or sun roof. 2013 Elantra (Avante) that was launched world wide is yet to be sold in India.
Notable upgrades
  • Projector lamps
  • Bigger fog lamps
  • LED tail lamps
  • Air vents have been pushed up which finally balances the design
  • OLED display for climate control (Very cool)

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/gallery.aspx
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

Does anybody know when this will be launched for India?
Old 24th April 2014, 05:26   #124
BHPian

Update: There's a used Skoda Superb available:

2012 model done 2000km
1.8 TSI manual
Dealer is asking for 16L

The car is absolutely mint and was meant to be used for the owner's holiday home, except they never really used the home or the car.

Is a used Skoda Superb a good idea, since this one doesn't have the trouble-prone DSG? What would be the right price for this particular car?

I drove it and I really liked it!
Old 24th April 2014, 08:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2012 model done 2000km
1.8 TSI manual
Dealer is asking for 16L

The car is absolutely mint and was meant to be used for the owner's holiday home, except they never really used the home or the car.

Is a used Skoda Superb a good idea, since this one doesn't have the trouble-prone DSG? What would be the right price for this particular car?

You should have it checked at a Skoda Service center. Why was is done only 2000Kms? This is worth pondering. Do have a check on the service history. Does the car come with Skoda extended warranty? If yes, I guess you're good to go.

The price does seem okay as well.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:03   #126
BHPian

Will have it checked out, but I doubt any foul play. Looks and smells new, zero sign of use/wear. Absolutely showroom condition. Dealer says this was meant to be a spare car for a second home, but was hardly used. I'm just a lil unsure about price since I think this model was 18L new, ex-showroom. I was thinking of countering with 12L, given age (Superb facelift is out, MT, and the fact that it is petrol)..
Old 24th April 2014, 11:31   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm just a lil unsure about price since I think this model was 18L new, ex-showroom. I was thinking of countering with 12L, given age (Superb facelift is out, MT, and the fact that it is petrol)..
You've got the factors for driving the price down bang on, but do get it checked out fully since a car just standing around and having low mileage on the ODO is not a good thing. I doubt it'll throw anything up, but do get it done anyways just for additional peace of mind.

Just so we know, is it an Elegance or Ambition model? Would help us give a better idea w.r.t. pricing. I'd say counter with 13 lakhs, maybe 12.5 lakhs. Don't lowball the guy so much that you antagonise him slightly. I would be loathe to pay anything over 14 lakhs for this Superb (since it's 2 years old and all that), but that's just me. Value is such a relative thing!
Old 24th April 2014, 11:45   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2012 model done 2000km
1.8 TSI manual
Dealer is asking for 16L

2000kms means you are getting a brand new car. I'm sure it would still have the new car smell. 16 is a tad bit high, I think 14 would be a fair price. Higher mileage cars would go cheaper, but I guess a premium is due for a pretty much new car.

Just get it scanned by VAS at a Skoda dealer and see if any faults show up. If not you are good to go.
Old 24th April 2014, 18:02   #129
BHPian

I'll ask about Ambition vs Elegance. My guess is it's the lower of the two since I don't think it had a touchscreen audio system. Either way, the difference should be about 1L?
Old 24th April 2014, 21:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will have it checked out, but I doubt any foul play. Looks and smells new, zero sign of use/wear. Absolutely showroom condition. Dealer says this was meant to be a spare car for a second home, but was hardly used.
This is how most dealers tell you. The odometer can also be tweaked to reduce the distance run - this is an extreme case however.

Take a decent test drive and a VAG scan with an express checkup. This would give a good idea of the actual condition.

You may also want to check if the vehicle has been involved in some accident/illegal activities.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:04   #131
BHPian

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI MT vs Skoda 1.8 TSI AT

Hi experts,
My friend is evaluating D1 sedans and has closed on VW Jetta 2.0 L TDI MT Vs Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI AT (those in current elimination list included Elantra – not comparable build quality / drive quality, Cruze – comparatively aging model, Altis – A new model is expected sometime this year but don’t know exactly).

The usage will be a 70/30 split between city / highway and will be the primary car for at least 4 years.

This is the comparison chart he has come up with:

D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?-jetta-vs-skoda.jpg

As you could see there is not much difference to choose from. To sum it up, the VW is what the brain suggests (reliability of engine+transmission and resale value) but Skoda remains closer to heart (joy-of-ride + looks).
So, can you from your experience and expertise comment here so that a meaningful choice be made without much of an analysis-paralysis?

Cheers,
Scorpio Fan
Old 30th April 2014, 12:44   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2012 model done 2000km
1.8 TSI manual
Dealer is asking for 16L

I own a 2012 Superb 1.8TSI MT. I bought it for 18.4L on road. Only Elegance variant was available in 2012. Ambition came in 2013 if I am not mistaken. Today the same car (with the minor facelift) would cost upwards of 22~23L on road. So if the mileage is genuine, 16L seems OK or perhaps you can bargain down another 1~2 L. I am having a great trouble free time with my gem of a car. Read my ownership thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html
Old 30th April 2014, 12:48   #133
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI MT vs Skoda 1.8 TSI AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
Hi experts,
My friend is evaluating D1 sedans and has closed on VW Jetta 2.0 L TDI MT Vs Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI AT (those in current elimination list included Elantra – not comparable build quality / drive quality, Cruze – comparatively aging model, Altis – A new model is expected sometime this year but don’t know exactly).

Cheers,
Scorpio Fan
The exact models of comparison is VW Jetta 2.0 L Highline and Octavia 1.6 TSI Elegance. I could not edit the original post as 30 minutes was already over.

Regards,
Old 30th April 2014, 13:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The exact models of comparison is VW Jetta 2.0 L Highline and Octavia 1.6 TSI Elegance.Regards,
Hi scorpio_fan.

The Octavia has a 1.8L engine and not a 1.6L engine.

For me, I'd recommend the Jetta 2.0 TDI MT to your friend unless he wants the fresher looks and features of the Octavia. The 2.0 TDI is a proven workhorse that's very reliable and offers economy and a fun to drive nature all at once.

The Octavia 1.8 TSI is more fun to drive for sure, but won't be as economical to own on account of the petrol costs. The other issue is that the DQ200 isn't totally proven to be reliable, although problem stories of recent cars using it have tailed off. An extended warranty would solve those concerns though.

Eventually, it comes down to the practicality of the Jetta vs the excitement and youthful exuberance of the Octavia, fuel costs notwithstanding. What would your friend prefer? Mull over that.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 14:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi experts,

The usage will be a 70/30 split between city / highway and will be the primary car for at least 4 years.

This is the comparison chart he has come up with:
Between the two, I would suggest the Jetta; for two reasons:

1. German diesels really are far more reliable than their petrol mills.

2. Your friend is getting a diesel car at no extra cost.

Interesting little chart you have got there too. I'd agree with most points except that I for one find Cruise Control absolutely essential on highways. Sunroof is a nice to have feature but I couldn't care less if it weren't there. With such powerful cars, regulating throttle input on the highway to get good mileage is a real pain. Simply set cruise control and everything becomes a lot easier.

Meanwhile, if your friend has considered the Elantra and Corolla, might I be right in saying he doesn't care much whether the car is fun to drive or not? Because if that is the case I would suggest giving the rest of the competition another long, hard, look. The Corolla will save him money on buying, and won't let him loose as much selling. The Elantra, if he did not have any complaints about the boring steering and overdone styling, comes with a plethora of features, is fairly comfy, will be easy to maintain and while you say it isn't built as well, let me surprise you by revealing that it is safer as per the IIHS crash tests.

Simply put IMO:

If your friend is a hardcore driving enthusiast and true petrol head, go with the 1.8TSi Octavia

If your friend is an enthusiast but was sensible/boring enough to ask you to do some research and make a chart, buy the Jetta

If your friend simply likes the idea of the car and owning one that does several things (idk how else to describe this demographic, but they do exist) then buy the Elantra.

If your friend wants an account of where each rupee has gone, and values his time, buy the Corolla.

Hope that made things easier
Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th April 2014 at 14:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks