Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 19:03   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post

Please suggest guys! It'd mean alot. I have been eating my family's brains regarding this. Dad and I love to drive. Do we go with more VFM offerings or follow the heart? If possible mention your experience with the Germans as long termers. I don't want to end up with a C segment sedan (most of them which feel like they lack "substance") and long for something more later. This will be our big car purchase for a long time. Do we go BIG or use more common sense and stick to cheaper options? It's all out there! help!!
Renault Duster 4 x 4
Positives
Well within budget
Class leading ride quality
Sedan threatening high speed stability
Extra ground clearance for those cross country rides
4WD for those being stuck whilst touring moments
Fairly large boot space
Reliable & fuel efficient engine
Compact size & sedan like feel would be great for your father's urban commute while you and your brother are not around

Negatives
Scanty after sales network
Dicey after sales service
Drab interiors for its price
Prone to rusting as per online reports
Subjective looks

Last edited by manson : 20th June 2015 at 19:06.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 19:22   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Renault Duster 4 x 4
Thanks! Forgot to mention. All of us did test drive both the Duster and Terrano. Brother was planning on getting the refreshed Duster- the one with the blackened alloys and new interiors for himself. Dad on the other hand felt he was being short changed for that kind of money since the interiors lacked in quality and finish.
Old 20th June 2015, 19:42   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! Forgot to mention. All of us did test drive both the Duster and Terrano. Brother was planning on getting the refreshed Duster- the one with the blackened alloys and new interiors for himself. Dad on the other hand felt he was being short changed for that kind of money since the interiors lacked in quality and finish.
Any specific reason for not considering the Toyotas? The Altis (Petrol with 7 speed autobox) or the Innova may work right for you guys.
Neither of these two cars will ever feels really special or paste a smile like the Germans, but they serve their purpose really well, and are both well built & supremely reliable. Add to that the Toyota feel good after sales service which is a big plus in my books for your parents to live with whilst you and your brother are not around.

Last edited by manson : 20th June 2015 at 19:43.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 19:51   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Any specific reason for not considering the Toyotas? The Altis (Petrol with 7 speed autobox) or the Innova may work right for you guys.
No doubt about the reliability of the Toyotas. But we love to drive and our occasional high speed runs. We've been suffering more than enough from an underpowered petrol i20 under full load and air conditioning. Don't want to risk feeling the lack of power again, especially during emergency overtakes. Waiting for the new Innova. Hoping it'll come with a stronger engine. Maybe the smaller 2.5 engine seen on the Fortuner. If that happens soon enough then it'll be a no brainer. Currently we're staying away from the Fortuner since it's by no way fuel efficient owing to its massive bulk.
Old 21st June 2015, 00:22   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you comment on the reliability front of the D1 Germans? Will they be niggle free and stand the test of time if maintained well and driven felicitously?
Many people in western countries keep these cars for more then 7 years.

If you can avoid electrical mods, and maintain well, these cars should serve you well.

As far as niggle free ownership is concerned, IMHO, luck also plays a role - For that matter, German or a Japanese car does not make a difference. Overall failure rate may be slightly less for a Japanese car though.

But this extra risk will be off-set by the pleasure we get out of driving a German car. This is the reason we all buy German - Right?
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:20   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
New Jetta looks like a mini Passat and also like the new Vento. If your's is the older Vento, Jetta's nose will look different.
Thank you Sir! I drive the 2nd iteration(black headlamp housing), so the new jetta looks pretty different. And yes, it has always been the jetta for me but i just needed assurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to Chethan and vb-san. If it is Diesel, I would go for the Jetta. If it is Petrol, Octavia 1.8TSi would be my choice.
Thank you! It has to be a diesel given the moderately high running. If I was looking for a petrol, it would've been the TSI octy no doubt.

Anyways, there has been a slight change in plan. Dad is thinking of getting the X3 20d. Unfortunately it will not be my daily driver.
Hopefully the plan should materialize in a month or two!
Old 19th July 2015, 23:37   #367
BHPian

Help for buying a used Jetta

Hello Friends,
I have come to terms about buying a used VW Jetta . Now i have come across a 2013 Manual Highline 2.0Tdi, it has done 21K kms, asking price is 11.5L by the dealer.

All looks good to me, I need pointers on what to check in this car if i finalise? I took a round in and it looks fine to me though I think may be while taking U turn I heard some noise from right front wheel side but am not sure about it.

Please help me with following points.

1.Should i worry about above noise?
2.Also I know asking price is a bit high what should be good price for such a car?
3.I have never bought a used car please help me with stuff to check in Jetta.
4.Whats the maintenance for 2.0 diesel mill & how much will Insurance set me back each year?
5.I don't like the yellow beam lights, when i get my Jetta am planning on replacing them with Projector headlamps with DRLs. Came across a few on eBay? has anyone tried them any suggestions? Can we get Xenon Projectors from Dealership?
Old 19th July 2015, 23:42   #368
BHPian

Price is a bit high. I was looking for the same sometime back(month). Highline TDI AT 2012 32k kms sold for 9.5 by dealer. Missed this car as somebody else paid the advance before me.

So bargain hard. Check used car price on carwale.com
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:04   #369
BHPian

Re: Help for buying a used Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Hello Friends,
I have come to terms about buying a used VW Jetta . Now i have come across a 2013 Manual Highline 2.0Tdi, it has done 21K kms, asking price is 11.5L by the dealer.

All looks good to me, I need pointers on what to check in this car if i finalise? I took a round in and it looks fine to me though I think may be while taking U turn I heard some noise from right front wheel side but am not sure about it.

Please help me with following points.

1.Should i worry about above noise?
2.Also I know asking price is a bit high what should be good price for such a car?
3.I have never bought a used car please help me with stuff to check in Jetta.
4.Whats the maintenance for 2.0 diesel mill & how much will Insurance set me back each year?
5.I don't like the yellow beam lights, when i get my Jetta am planning on replacing them with Projector headlamps with DRLs. Came across a few on eBay? has anyone tried them any suggestions? Can we get Xenon Projectors from Dealership?
I would say steal the deal in anything under 11. I would say start with 10 lacs and a cheque of 50K on his table, provided car comes clean in VW service station checkup. Take it for computerized and general checkup, ask for a complete service history (thats how you will know if the ODO is actual or tempered and any accidental repairs carried out.) take the customer history, 21K seems really low and chances of ODO tempering are possible. Take a long test drive and reach high speeds and brake hard, if its actually 21K car, then there should not be any noise or problem. If something turns up, simply go away. Check the wheels for wear and tear. check the vibrations on braking hard, and on the clutch pedal, if you feel any thing abnormal stay away. The reason i am pointing all this is that i came across many jettas which were tempered and at times dealer confessed it was tempered by him only. Its not impossible but its rare to digest that a person is selling 22 lac car in just 2 years, normally jettas in used market are hard to find under 40K on ODO, which is genuine.

If all comes out great during VW service station checkup and you feel the car is clean, i would say its more than worth the money. Just go for it. pointwise reply:
1) get it checked at authorised service station, 2100 for computer health check and some more for full car check
2) anything under 11 lacs is a good price, if ODO is genuine and car is not accidental
3) i mentioned the pointers
4) 15K service bills every year , see if extended warranty is available, if not can you buy, if the car is less than 48 months old
5) I double if dealership will support but yes there are aftermarket options available.

good luck
Mission_PGPX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:29   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I would say steal the deal in anything under 11. I would say start with 10 lacs and a cheque of 50K on his table, provided car comes clean in VW service station checkup. Take it for computerized and general checkup, ask for a complete service history (thats how you will know if the ODO is actual or tempered and any accidental repairs carried out.) take the customer history, 21K seems really low and chances of ODO tempering are possible. Take a long test drive and reach high speeds and brake hard, if its actually 21K car, then there should not be any noise or problem. If something turns up, simply go away. Check the wheels for wear and tear. check the vibrations on braking hard, and on the clutch pedal, if you feel any thing abnormal stay away. The reason i am pointing all this is that i came across many jettas which were tempered and at times dealer confessed it was tempered by him only. Its not impossible but its rare to digest that a person is selling 22 lac car in just 2 years, normally jettas in used market are hard to find under 40K on ODO, which is genuine.

If all comes out great during VW service station checkup and you feel the car is clean, i would say its more than worth the money. Just go for it. pointwise reply:
1) get it checked at authorised service station, 2100 for computer health check and some more for full car check
2) anything under 11 lacs is a good price, if ODO is genuine and car is not accidental
3) i mentioned the pointers
4) 15K service bills every year , see if extended warranty is available, if not can you buy, if the car is less than 48 months old
5) I double if dealership will support but yes there are aftermarket options available.

good luck
Hi
I got tired of looking around and closed the deal for same Jetta at 11L. All formalities need to be done. I ll be taking it to dealership day after tomorrow, but i feel its genuine because the spare wheel is also unused. Its Highline model drove it for a few minutes all seem perfect.
I wanted deal to close at 10.5 or so but what the heck cant wait anymore. Only glitch that i am worried about is its haryana registered and i am dehi based have no property there aswell. I am planning to put a friends address. But am yet to figure out the formal procedure for the same. Any pointers will be much appriciated.

By the way i checked the wheels, braked hard. Couldnt reach high speed though. It all seems good and car feels new from interior unlike others that i saw.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 23rd July 2015 at 19:32.
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 09:53   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Hi
I got tired of looking around and closed the deal for same Jetta at 11L. All formalities need to be done. I ll be taking it to dealership day after tomorrow, but i feel its genuine because the spare wheel is also unused. Its Highline model drove it for a few minutes all seem perfect.
I wanted deal to close at 10.5 or so but what the heck cant wait anymore. Only glitch that i am worried about is its haryana registered and i am dehi based have no property there aswell. I am planning to put a friends address. But am yet to figure out the formal procedure for the same. Any pointers will be much appriciated.

By the way i checked the wheels, braked hard. Couldnt reach high speed though. It all seems good and car feels new from interior unlike others that i saw.
Congratulations and wish you many many happy miles on it, niggle free of course. Take it to dealer ship and tell them you bought is pre-owned and need a complete check report, past service history etc. If possible, take it to the dealer where it was usually maintained and serviced. Also ask them about upcoming expenses based on wear and tear on parts like brake-pads, brake discs etc and check the battery as well.

If you are buying from a dealer, i am sure he can do the registration transfer on your name and this car can be registered in delhi. If you can show a rent agreement in haryana then i think it should not be a problem. I registered my new thunderbird on rent agreement and electricity bill of the property, HR-26. Lots of jugaadu ppl in gurgaon i must say. However your new RC will come at the address mentioned by you, so make sure that address is approachable and someone can receive RC on your behalf. You just have to pay RTO tax. Also transfer the insurance on your name. Here you have to shell out the NCB of the owner while transferring.

dont forget to take the car to detailing session. Get a germ free interior clean and exterior treatment before enjoying the honeymoon. Good luck!!
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 20:39   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Congratulations and wish you many many happy miles on it, niggle free of course. Take it to dealer ship and tell them you bought is pre-owned and need a complete check report, past service history etc. If possible, take it to the dealer where it was usually maintained and serviced. Also ask them about upcoming expenses based on wear and tear on parts like brake-pads, brake discs etc and check the battery as well.

If you are buying from a dealer, i am sure he can do the registration transfer on your name and this car can be registered in delhi. If you can show a rent agreement in haryana then i think it should not be a problem. I registered my new thunderbird on rent agreement and electricity bill of the property, HR-26. Lots of jugaadu ppl in gurgaon i must say. However your new RC will come at the address mentioned by you, so make sure that address is approachable and someone can receive RC on your behalf. You just have to pay RTO tax. Also transfer the insurance on your name. Here you have to shell out the NCB of the owner while transferring.

dont forget to take the car to detailing session. Get a germ free interior clean and exterior treatment before enjoying the honeymoon. Good luck!!
Hi just to let you know the deal did not went as expected. Firstly though the car was run correct as per the odo but upon investigating i found out that it was accidented didnt get to know the scope of accident other than the fact that it was body work worth 15K. Plus ther seller didnt had NOC and asked me to wait since his cheque bounced because of sign mismatch according to him. I was contenplating cancelling the deal when he himself called and cancelled and asked me to take back token cheque i had given
Apparently his company which owns the car had some accounts hiccups which i couldnt understand. Anyway i felt kind of relief only. Shall be starting a new thread to narrow down my options now. Thanks for all the support and advice.
Old 25th August 2015, 17:06   #373
BHPian

Which Car within 24 lacs On road in Bangalore

Hi All,

After searching the forum and not finding an answer, I am starting this thread.

Looking for a petrol car (monthly running is not high) within a non-stretchable budget of 24 ~ 25 lacs.

Have shortlisted ELantra 1.8 petrol automatic and Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi auto.

I would want to buy an automatic only. Only gripe about Elantra is, it does not have a sunroof.

The Octavia seems overpriced. Any justification for the price difference?

Further, should I consider Jetta as well?

Help me decide.
Old 25th August 2015, 17:36   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Car within 24 lacs On road in Bangalore

Firstly, if you want a petrol auto - there are very limited choices.
The Jetta doesn't come in petrol, and if you are open to diesel - it is a great buy! In fact, it is what I would recommend for a mix of power, comfort, and build quality.

Between the Octavia and the Elantra, go for the Octavia if it will be a self-driven car. The better performance, features, gearbox, and ride/handling balance would justify the extra cost. However, reliability is so-so, and if something goes wrong it would result in a high waiting period for parts, and high costs (if not covered under warranty).

The Elantra is more comfortable owing to its softer suspension, and better for those who prefer to be driven around, though the driving experience isn't bad. Its well - average. Nothing that would stand out. Light steering, easy controls, smooth engine, etc.

Both these cars target different user requirements, so it would help if you post your requirements / expectations.
Also, are you open to sparingly used pre-owned cars?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 18:36   #375
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Car within 24 lacs On road in Bangalore

24L you shoud look at lightly used market and pick the top class cars. And in banglore you are going to find them plenty and even is classified (Paper classified)

I would never take Hyundai route for a 24L segment. Hyundai to me stops with i10 automatic. Personal choice.

@ 24L i would definitely look at Skoda SUperb over the Octavia, Jetta, used BMW/Merc or even an Audi.

I would be hard pressed to pass on the superb at that price point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks