Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 18:59   #376
BHPian

Re: Which Car within 24 lacs On road in Bangalore

Hello,

For 24 L on road, would a Brand new top end 7 speed CVT Corolla fit the budget?

It would be comfortable and reliable, plus the petrol models are more feature packed I Think.
Old 25th August 2015, 19:11   #377
BHPian

Thanks for the responses. I do not want to buy an used car.

Regarding Carolla, it is not that exciting to me. Will also look at jetta diesel.

Regarding superb, doesn't it OTR at more than 30 lacs.

The car will be self driven. Would want a car which is feature packed, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. Maybe I am trying to fit in everything.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 25th August 2015 at 19:16.
Old 25th August 2015, 19:23   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are ok with a diesel, the jetta 2.0 dsg would be an ideal choice. If petrol , the Octavia 1.8 tsi is the only one that comes to mind. I go wow with my vento 1.2 tsi. The 1.8 would be mind blowing. VW and Skoda after sales and reliability is always a question mark. But that's the trade off for a wonderful driving machine.
Old 25th August 2015, 22:16   #379
BHPian

Given your situation and since you are not interested in used cars, go ahead with the shortlisted octavia 1.8 tsi. Its a gem of an engine and with dsg in place you will have a comfortable drive in Blore city traffic. This beast if not pushed hard will give FE in the range of C segment cars. It is a newer model on VAG group MQB platform so this model should stay longer before a facelift comes through.
Check with the dealers if they do have the Zeal editions in stock. Its much better with sporty trim and black interiors.
At this price point, i would suggest do not consider the Hyundai Elantra even though features wise it would be competent but lets down on the engine and drive compared to Octavia.

Last edited by nikhil_pon : 25th August 2015 at 22:18. Reason: spelling correction
Old 26th August 2015, 12:09   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
The car will be self driven. Would want a car which is feature packed, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. Maybe I am trying to fit in everything.
Honestly - the Jetta might make a lot of sense here. It may not pack in as many features as the Octavia, but the diesel 6 speed DSG should be a lot more reliable than the Octavia's 7 speed DSG. Also, given it is a sedan and not a notchback - I would expect fewer rattles; and the build is a notch higher than that of the Octavia (in terms of the 'thud' when you close the door).
Also, IMO - the rear seats of the Jetta are slightly better. A boon for those days when you are travelling with family.

Was in a similar boat as you a few years back - for a self drive car, doesn't make sense to invest the additional money for a Superb, as parking and all will be a pain! At that time, I picked up the Laura L&K and even though i'm very happy with the choice - every time a Jetta passes by, I can't help but wonder.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 12:35   #381
Senior - BHPian

If you're intent on petrol, the Octavia is an excellent option. If after sales is a concern for you, then the Elantra is a safer bet, but as a car it won't excite you. It will simply fulfil it's purpose in comfort. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would highly recommend you take a look at the Jetta Diesel automatic. It fulfils your needs and will be a touch more economical to own.

Full disclosure: the Octavia was my first choice after I was in your exact situation. The only reason I opted for the Jetta was the lack of the Octavia 1.8 TSI's availability.

Good luck with your shopping!
Old 26th August 2015, 13:30   #382
Team-BHP Support

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

If you are very particular about petrol (and also the sunroof as you had mentioned), look no further than the Octavia. The Octavia has a much fresh look than the Jetta, has a bigger boot space and has much more features than the Jetta. Also, the 1.8Tsi is a gem of an engine and fun factor guaranteed.

If you are open to diesel and can sacrifice the sunroof and other features, definitely consider the Jetta. The Jetta with 320Nm of torque is a different kind of beast. The 6 speed wet clutch DSG in the Jetta is much more reliable than the 7 speed dry clutch in the Octavia. Also, the 6 speed DSG has high torque handling capability in case you want to remap the engine later. The multi link suspension in the Jetta also gives a very comfortable ride. The build is also much solid than the Octavia.

I was in the same situation as iliketurtles. I had booked an Octavia 1.8Tsi, and due to indefinite wait time cancelled the Octavia and got the Jetta. Now I consider Octavia's wait time as a blessing in disguise
Old 26th August 2015, 13:38   #383
BHPian

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Will test drive the Octavia 1.8tsi and also the jetta diesel.

However, the test drive of the Octavia 1.8tsi has to be postponed till 2 weeks, since the test drive car is undergoing repairs and will take 2 weeks.
Old 26th August 2015, 14:29   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Will test drive the Octavia 1.8tsi and also the jetta diesel.
You have only two options either Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG or Jetta Diesel DSG

Making a choice between them:
- Octavia 1.8 TSi : If you are looking for the spirited drive
- Jetta Diesel: If you are looking for the decent drive(with the good mileage)

Note: I guess you are also aware that Octavia Diesel does not have the independent rear suspension where as the Jetta Diesel and Octavia 1.8 TSi have this.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 26th August 2015 at 14:31.
Old 29th August 2015, 02:16   #385
BHPian

Quote:
However, the test drive of the Octavia 1.8tsi has to be postponed till 2 weeks, since the test drive car is undergoing repairs and will take 2 weeks.
Hi,

Could you please share which dealer in Bangalore has 1.8 TSI for test drive?

Regards.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:24   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 bits here on the Superb which is at an BLR OTR of 28.5 (TSI Elegance) and 32.5 (TSI Elegance) both with DSG.

The Superb is definitely a segment higher with its bigger size and limo-like feel. Your kids will bless you for buying it. My 8 year old was sitting on the floor area between the front and rear seats and playing with his toys during our test drive :-).

There are very few kits left from the Skoda factory and availability of color choices and variants is pretty low. There will definitely be a gap until the new one comes in in early 2016.

If you don't need the space go for the Octavia TSI over the Jetta. Your running is low and you may as well enjoy the 158 bhp!
Old 30th August 2015, 01:08   #387
BHPian

Between Octavia and Jetta, I will suggest you to go for Octavia 1.8TSI eyes closed since, first its a super quiet petrol engine and second it looks rather refreshingly new (subjective). The touch screen infotainment is a tad bit better than that of Jetta. But with Skoda make sure you buy extended warranty, if you want to keep your car for more than a few years.

On the other hand Jetta is a stunner from exterior (subjective), I saw it at dealership in blue color and it looked smashing "A4ish". I liked interior cabin feel as well, much better than previous Jetta. Honestly after you test drive both the cars, buy only what your heart tells you to buy and you'll always stay satisfied.

Any how I will also suggest you to try Superb 1.8 TSI, if it fits your budget. Its not exactly too big to drive around, I have no issues manoeuvring it around city once i got used to it. I get mileage of around 9 in city traffic. The sheer amount of space you get is mind blowing. You'll love the super luxurious interior and 1.8TSI is super quiet gem of an engine to drive. I personally think Skoda's aftersales has improved a lot in recent times, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Elantra can't compete with any of the above cars case closed. Whoever I know who has bought one doesn't like it one bit. I test drove one too it felt well "Hyundaish".
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:10   #388
BHPian

Test drove the Octavia 1.8tsi. Will not test drive anything else. I am trying to choose between white and race blue. Anyone knows where I can have a look at a race blue Octavia. The showroom guys do not have it in their yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Could you please share which dealer in Bangalore has 1.8 TSI for test drive?

Regards.
Tafe has the Octavia 1.8tsi for test drive.

Quote:
Tafe has the Octavia 1.8tsi for test drive.
Edit. Went and had a look at the race blue at the service station. I am gonna go for white.

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2015 at 07:28. Reason: Merged Post
Old 31st August 2015, 20:25   #389
BHPian

Are they offering any kind of AMC / service package on the 1.8 tsi ?
Old 1st September 2015, 09:21   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to choose between white and race blue. Anyone knows where I can have a look at a race blue Octavia. The showroom guys do not have it in their yard.
Went and had a look at the race blue at the service station. I am gonna go for white.
Did you take any pictures of the Race Blue by any chance? Haven't seen any in BLR. Is it the same colour as the Jetta's blue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks