Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 11:08   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Did you take any pictures of the Race Blue by any chance? Haven't seen any in BLR. Is it the same colour as the Jetta's blue?
I did not take pics. It's not the same as jetta blue.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:43   #392
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Did you take any pictures of the Race Blue by any chance? Haven't seen any in BLR. Is it the same colour as the Jetta's blue?
You can check out the Octavia in race blue here on iliketurtle's thread, looks awesome (not seen many on the road though strangely):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3357780

Have not come across any other pics of the Octavia in that color in my limited experience with this forum.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:48   #393
Senior - BHPian

I cannot comment on the TDI Octavia, but stay away from the TSI.
I guess my car and I were the guinea pig for this and can surely tell everyone here that the 1.8 TSI Octavia is a highly unreliable vehicle.

1) Fuel pump failed in first 1000 kms.
2) Battery failed in 14 months.
3) Unidentifiable reasons for ORVM Noises and Sunroof rattles
4) Unidentifiable suspension noises
5) Latest and the biggest blow, Mechatronic 'fire' which for me, was a near death experience. By any means, fire in any form, under the engine bay, is highly risky in any scenario. I was saved fortunately, but since last 15 days my car is at the dealership with no part ETA, and they haven't even offered me a donor vehicle.

I would highly recommend everyone to stay away from any 'German' D1 sedans, as they share a lot of parts, and frankly they aren't 'German' any more. Some of the parts are made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, India, Spain, etc. This is cost cutting of another level altogether.

If I am lucky enough to get a refund for this vehicle or good resale value, which I don't think is possible after coming out in the open about these problems, I would any day pick up an Elantra or a Corolla Altis.

Skoda is no more in my recommendation list, nor is Volkswagen, because of poor experience of after sales service during my ownership of my current everyday car, the Vento. On a side note, my Vento has run only 25000 kms, both front discs have worn out, along with brake pads, suspension has very less travel and has become unbearable on uneven roads, and FE has dropped by at least 20%. When new, it would return 21.0 KMPL even under few stints of hard driving. Now, I don't even see the instantaneous FE of above 18 KMPL when cruising on the highway.

Again, all of these are my personal thoughts, some might have very good experiences with either Volkswagen or Skoda or even both.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:02   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I guess my car and I were the guinea pig for this and can surely tell everyone here that the 1.8 TSI Octavia is a highly unreliable vehicle.

5) Latest and the biggest blow, Mechatronic 'fire' which for me, was a near death experience. By any means, fire in any form, under the engine bay, is highly risky in any scenario. I was saved fortunately, but since last 15 days my car is at the dealership with no part ETA, and they haven't even offered me a donor vehicle.

I would highly recommend everyone to stay away from any 'German' D1 sedans, as they share a lot of parts, and frankly they aren't 'German' any more. Some of the parts are made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, India, Spain, etc. This is cost cutting of another level altogether.

If I am lucky enough to get a refund for this vehicle or good resale value, which I don't think is possible after coming out in the open about these problems, I would any day pick up an Elantra or a Corolla Altis.
Thanks for your insight. However, I have taken the plunge and already booked. Hopefully I don't get such a lemon.

Further, does anybody knows if there is any face-lift scheduled for the Octavia in the near future.
Old 12th September 2015, 14:01   #395
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

Skoda is no more in my recommendation list, nor is Volkswagen, because of poor experience of after sales service during my ownership of my current everyday car, the Vento. On a side note, my Vento has run only 25000 kms, both front discs have worn out, along with brake pads, suspension has very less travel and has become unbearable on uneven roads, and FE has dropped by at least 20%. When new, it would return 21.0 KMPL even under few stints of hard driving. Now, I don't even see the instantaneous FE of above 18 KMPL when cruising on the highway.

Again, all of these are my personal thoughts, some might have very good experiences with either Volkswagen or Skoda or even both.
The octavia issue is horrendous, but the vento wearing out the brakes at 25k is actually a good number. My friends with the GT TSI have blown out their brakes anywhere between 8k/10k/14k.

I dont buy the story that the steering swap or LED tail swap can overload the circuit, but ultimately it lies up to skoda to tell what all is gone.

I hope they cover it in warranty, just as well they did for out of warranty superb owners who had the gearbox failure.
Old 15th September 2015, 23:27   #396
BHPian

Used Skoda Octavia

I was looking for used options in the range of 7-11 lac. Started with Civic and then moved to Jetta and now to Skoda Octavia.

I am being offered Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI registered in Dec, 2013 with 11k on Odometer. More than 80% of Tyre life is left. Inspection company is providing me with a warranty of one year. They are taking guarantee for odometer reading also. Since it has been registered in 2013 I assume Skoda warranty must be there too for few more months. All servicing has been done in Skoda showrooms. Accident free with original parts.

Asking price is 11.6 lac which doesn't seem to be negotiable.

After seeing the pics I could make out few scratches in a localized manner otherwise very clean. It looked like scraping.

I want to know whether the pricing is bit upwards ? Also I don't know any service guys. I don't know whom to take with me. I am looking for some option in Gurgaon. PDI, VIN etc can be checked by myself but other technical stuff needs someone.

I am attaching the pic of the scratch. Can anyone tell me whether it can be taken care of easily ?
Attached Thumbnails
D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?-new_picture_converted.jpg  

Old 16th September 2015, 02:09   #397
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Skoda Octavia

A piece of advice i give for used german cars is if your budget is 11L dont spend all 11 on buying a car irrespective of the condition.

Post warranty you need to have some flexibility to manage the expenses.

With Skoda you need to research more on support that includes how good the service centres are in your area.

The price is based on local market again. Its looks competetively priced and its definitely a stonker of a car. Good luck.
Old 16th September 2015, 02:42   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A piece of advice i give for used german cars is if your budget is 11L dont spend all 11 on buying a car irrespective of the condition.

Post warranty you need to have some flexibility to manage the expenses.

With Skoda you need to research more on support that includes how good the service centres are in your area.

The price is based on local market again. Its looks competetively priced and its definitely a stonker of a car. Good luck.
I am based in Delhi so will have plenty of options for servicing. I am also confused about reliability. But I feel hooked to this particular car.
Old 16th September 2015, 08:22   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also confused about reliability.
The car has dozens of sensors and multitude of electronics. The transmission is DSG. DSG has its own issues over the years. Have they fixed the core issue of mechatronics failing, probably yes/Probably no.

If its a manual the only issues you may face is the AC compressor going kaput around 40K mileage.

Otherwise you are looking at a fairly reliable car in all fronts. My Jetta after 5 years had the AC compressor go weak. Hasnt failed yet, just gone weak.

As i said they are reliable, some cars have run 100000 miles without issues. But being skoda and in India the service network can take you for a ride and quote exorbitant amount when it comes to fixing issues.

My request is just be prepared on LONGER run. The current car condition is absolutely brand new and probably settling in. Based on your running mileage we are talking about 2- 3 years down the line when issues may prop up.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 21:33   #400
BHPian

I went to see the Octavia today. The owner has scraped the front bumper two days back. No dent but paint is missing slightly. I couldn't get the test drive as I reached late and the owner was not there.

Car details were - 1.8 TSI elegance 11k odo, Dec 2013 for 11+ lakhs.

After inspecting the car from outside I suddenly realized that there is no sunroof. After further inquiry found out that the car is indeed 1.8 TSI but Ambition trim which came out in limited numbers. But the game has changed as I was kind of ready to pay for the car thinking it to be elegance but suddenly so many features are gone.

I confirmed from the showroom and service center and all details regarding odo, services, date of purchase etc match up.

Getting a warranty of 1 year on engine and gearbox. I am just confused.

One other option is white Civic, scratch less, 30k on ODO, V AT 2012 (stiffer suspension). Asking price is bit high at 8.6 L but guy reduced it by 20k on phone without any efforts. There must be chance for a lot more I guess.

I am more inclined towards petrol because of my work patterns and less usage. Jetta doesn't seem to be available in petrol that much.
Old 19th September 2015, 11:51   #401
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't be keen on the Ambition trim Octavia as several features would be missing, as you rightly pointed out.

The civic would be a good buy, but not at that price man. It's a discontinued car no matter how good it is, and that alone drives down the price, leave alone the fact it's a fuel guzzling petrol car.

If you can get the Civic for lesser, it'd be a decent deal provided you check its antecedents and it's a genuinely great car.
Old 20th September 2015, 14:19   #402
BHPian

Hmm I have similar feeling about Octavia and Civic both. Octavia guy is now asking 13 L. Its out of consideration. Two more civic are available now with sunroof and 35k on odometer. Both asking somewhere around 8.25. I intend to bring it to somewhere around 7.5. The car is under extended warranty and insurance till 2016.
Old 9th October 2015, 15:57   #403
BHPian

Jetta highline AT 2012 May model. 33k driven. No accidents. Asking was 12.5L. Dealer ready for 11.85. Mahindra first choice 6 months guarantee free. If everything is ok with the car then how is the price ?
Old 9th October 2015, 16:59   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Jetta highline AT 2012 May model. 33k driven. No accidents. Asking was 12.5L. Dealer ready for 11.85. Mahindra first choice 6 months guarantee free. If everything is ok with the car then how is the price ?
I'm not familiar with the numbers when it comes to the Delhi market, but broadly speaking that price seems to be about 60% or more of the original sticker price of the car. This for a car that's more than 3 years old. Sounds wrong to me, Germans don't hold their value that well.

I'd look at about 40-50% of the sticker price of the car if I'm looking at a German that's getting on in years. So long story short, I think it's pricier than it should be.

By the by, have you checked out the car thoroughly? Mahindra First Choice is known to be shady, so please do your research before you jump in. I doubt their guarantee is worth the paper it's printed on.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:02   #405
BHPian

Yes it has been checked. Tomorrow getting it checked again by VW service centre. Price is coming at 52%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks