Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 11:44   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Elantra vs the Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hello experts. Looking for some feedback with respect to a D Segmenter. I am helping a friend with his purchase of a car. Current ride is a Santro AT which will be retained for daily commutes.

Key requirements (No compromises on these points)
  • Roughly a D segment budget (15-25L)
  • Has to be an Automatic
  • Has to be Petrol
  • No SUV/Wannabe SUV's
  • No VAG Group cars (So no Jetta/Octavia)
  • No Pre-owned.
  • Not too worried about Mileage as usage is not too great.
Corolla would be the first choice
You might find a discounted Elantra
Else wait for new Honda Accord whenever that comes

I would ideally say - take a risk and go for an Octy 1.8
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:55   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between these 2, considering the requirements, my personal opinion is that the Elantra is a better option:

Questions:
  • Any vehicle that I have missed?
  • On paper it looks like the Elantra is an excellent package, but it is a poor seller, even behind the Jetta and Octavia. That is not typical for a Hyundai. Any reasons for the same?
  • Any reasons why the Altis is a better option?
Don't expect either of the cars to be nice to drive. A few years ago, the Kizashi would have been a brilliant choice or even the petrol Fluence which is unfortunately discontinued.

Between the Elantra and the Altis:
Safety- Elantra>Corolla
Ride/Handling- Elantra<Corolla
Drivetrain- Elantra<Corolla
Features- Elantra>Corolla

Altis is better if you friend appreciates the more comfy ride and trouble free ownership experience that comes along with a Corolla however he will have to deal with lack of enough airbags and a lack of a stability program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
If he can extend his budget, he should have a look at the Camry hybrid which is a really compelling package.
Camry would call for a huge increase in budget and is definitely not worth it.

An interesting possibility would be to inquire with every Nissan dealership for left-over stock of the Teana. The car is discontinued so one can haggle big discounts. It is the most plush and comfy thing this side of 50 lakhs

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th December 2015 at 11:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 12:03   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

An interesting possibility would be to inquire with every Nissan dealership for left-over stock of the Teana. The car is discontinued so one can haggle big discounts. It is the most plush and comfy thing this side of 50 lakhs
I don't feel that is a nice option simply because Nissan A.S.S are no good either. The Teana is an extremely rare product and spares will be a big issue. The service guys won't be able to solve any problems either. It will be a same experience as dealing with a VAG group car.
Old 8th December 2015, 13:05   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't feel that is a nice option simply because Nissan A.S.S are no good either. The Teana is an extremely rare product and spares will be a big issue. The service guys won't be able to solve any problems either. It will be a same experience as dealing with a VAG group car.
Nissan's A.S.S. is admittedly not great but certainly not as bad as Skoda/VW. Just because it is an import and a rare product, don't make the mistake of comparing it to a euro barge in terms of maintenance. Speaking from experience here being the owner of a Japanese import, I can tell you that no matter how rare the car is, as long as it is Japanese, sourcing parts are never ever going to be an issue I have never had to wait too long for any part no matter how rare even if it wasn't in stock and had to be imported from Japan. Diagnosing and servicing Japanese cars are easy as well since no matter how big and expensive, they remain fairly uncomplicated machines a good independent garage will easily be able to take care of the car.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th December 2015 at 13:08.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:29   #425
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

I'm planning to change my Civic A/T and get a pre-owned Diesel Sedan. The options available or which I looked at are ( not in any order ). The car will be mainly used for city drive with once a month drive to Pune or other areas. Also most likely will be self driven car. I'll prefer automatic but that might not be a deal breaker. Also will like to go for either a re-map ( Tune-o-tronics) or a tuning box ( RD Dual Channel ).
1. Cruze
2. Laura ( with 2.0 engine)
3. Jetta ( Either 1.9 or 2.0 )
4. Passat.

1. Cruze: I dropped cruze as most of them have done more than 50k and still owners or dealer quote high values ( In range of 7 Lakhs-8 lakhs), also somehow looking at the safety features other car in the list score higher. While I feel the Cruze doesn't have a good resale value but still not getting any VFM deals. The other point which was bothering me was again a low ground clearance car, though may not be as low as Civic but still have chances of scrapping.And lastly the rattles or other noises which I felt in the used vehicles, coming from Honda which doesn't rattle even after 9 years and 70k kms it slightly disappointed me. Though look wise it was the best possible option , add to it sun roof and you couldn't be asking for more.Then again Interior space specifically at the back seat is big compromise while comparing with Civic.

2. Laura: Very solid car, the moment you sit inside you feel safe and secure. 2.0 Lt engine is pretty good and power delivery is also excellent. Interior is better spaced than Cruze but not as good as Civic. The equipment list is good but may not be as good as Jetta or Passat. Laura LnK would have been the ideal but there are not much LnK available in used car market. Elegance is also good in terms of features but again the limitation comes in finding a good one from the used market. I liked the ground clearance part the best in this. Safety wise felt better than Cruze but the additional airbags in Jetta and Passat are better. I'll like to restrict myself to 2.0 and skip 1.9 due to the reliability and some amount of refinement though this is just my personal view.

3. Jetta: Good VFM deals available. Safety wise the best or almost at par with Passat. The 2.0 Lt engine is quite refined and power is adequate. Equipment wise may not be as good as higher end of Laura but still quite decent. Here the issue is ground clearance which is again only little better than Civic and the other thing is back seat space which is at lesser than Laura but little better than Cruze. Though with limited cars available finding a good Jetta becomes a challenge.

4. Passat: Another good VFM proposition. 2.0 Lt Engine if I'm not wrong is there either at 140 BHP or 170 BHP ( or was there any 105/110 BHP also? ). Space and equipment wise it tops the list. The major issue Ground clearance which is almost same as Civic and the size. I didn't thought of Superb just because of the size but somehow felt Passat to be a little more manageable than Superb. Other thing which is bothering me is maintenance cost of Passat considering it is almost 25 Lakh vehicle.

I need some guidance and help in sorting out this confusion, sometimes both my heart and mind says why do I need a swap ? Whenever I drive Civic it always puts a smile on my face. Even on expressway never felt lack of confidence. Maintenance, service and running cost are pretty low for Honda at the same time it's totally reliable.
Considering all these does it makes sense to swap ? And if the answer is yes then what's the most logical swap or upgrade considering my requirements.
Old 8th December 2015, 13:45   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
1. Cruze: The other point which was bothering me was again a low ground clearance car, though may not be as low as Civic but still have chances of scrapping.
Just a quick point based on my Cruze ownership of around 75k & 4 1/2 years:

It very rarely scrapes if you drive reasonably. Overall, the suspension is stiff and the rear overhang very short and high. The front chin DOES scrape (actually the flexible flap so no real damage) sometimes on basement ramps and deep potholes, but is easy to avoid by going slowly.
Old 8th December 2015, 13:50   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Key requirements (No compromises on these points)
  • Roughly a D segment budget (15-25L)
  • Has to be an Automatic
  • Has to be Petrol
  • No SUV/Wannabe SUV's
  • No VAG Group cars (So no Jetta/Octavia)
  • No Pre-owned.
  • Not too worried about Mileage as usage is not too great.

• Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Hyundai Elantra
Out of the two, I recommend the Corolla. It is indeed the least equipped in its segment when it comes to safety features, but is still a quality offering from Toyota. And it did not feel that much watered down from what is being sold in other markets.

But really for the requirements mentioned, the Octavia TSI will be great choice.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:36   #428
BANNED

Quote:

Questions:
Any vehicle that I have missed?
No. Other than pre-worshipped BMW's and Mercs.

Quote:
On paper it looks like the Elantra is an excellent package, but it is a poor seller, even behind the Jetta and Octavia. That is not typical for a Hyundai. Any reasons for the same?
When you get to the D segment, you experience true German engineering - which reflects in better feel, finish, handling and performance. It gets beyond just bells and whistles (read VFM) which is what makes Hyundai's sell in the lower segments. The Elantra / Altis feel woefully inadequate in comparison in the key areas of better engineering when you get to the D segment. Given his driving pattern - long distance and marginal city use, the Germans should be an ideal fit.

Quote:
Any reasons why the Altis is a better option?
Better engine and performance.

Quote:
Any other inputs welcome. I have basically conveyed the above points and asked him to TD both to see which feels better overall from his perspective. But want to ensure that I am not missing anything since he will go by my recommendations.
As has been advised by others already, neither the Elantra nor the Altis would come anywhere close to the Octavia 1.8 especially the recently revised version that comes with paddle shifts as standard. Don't think you should advise him to avoid that car.
Old 8th December 2015, 17:53   #429
Senior - BHPian

Removing VAG out of the group makes life easier.
I know someone who had the same question a few months and he went ahead and bought the Corolla.
Reason:
  • More popular, hence better resale value
  • He said that the engine+gearbox was more responsive. There have been reviews suggesting that the Altis has very little rubber band effect
  • The best rear seat. He is chauffeur driven on weekdays
  • Reliability. Although Hyundai is good with respect to reliability too

Hope this helps.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 19:26   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Hyundai Elantra
Personally - my vote goes with the Corolla:
- It is a newer vehicle
- Much more comfortable. High seating of the Santro to the low seating of the Elantra would be a big change - the corolla is just perfect
- IMO the engine is slightly better than that of the Elantra
- Yes, it loses out on some of the goodies, but the key features are there and it is cheaper than the Elantra too
- The Corolla should be significantly more rugged and abuse friendly - going by the number of tourist Corolla's that rack up considerable milage and abuse

However - I love the all black interiors of the Elantra!

Alternatives: Since it is going to be a weekend car, why not look at a preowned option such as a C200/320i?
Or even Accords / CR-Vs / Camrys with low milage?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 21:35   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If he can extend his budget, he should have a look at the Camry hybrid which is a really compelling package.

If he can wait, he should look forward to the upcoming Civic/ Cruze / Elantra (if they are planned to launch in India).
Camry would be too much of a stretch. Also wants to buy now, so waiting for new models is not feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Don't expect either of the cars to be nice to drive. A few years ago, the Kizashi would have been a brilliant choice or even the petrol Fluence which is unfortunately discontinued.

Agree on the Kizashi. Would have been a good option. Not keen on something like the Teana.

Quote:
Or simply check out the VAG group if he is ready to face their A.S.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would ideally say - take a risk and go for an Octy 1.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

But really for the requirements mentioned, the Octavia TSI will be great choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
As has been advised by others already, neither the Elantra nor the Altis would come anywhere close to the Octavia 1.8 especially the recently revised version that comes with paddle shifts as standard. Don't think you should advise him to avoid that car.
Totally agree, If I was buying would have been a no brainer, the Octavia 1.8 TSI would be my choice. But he is not keen on going anywhere near a Skoda and really does not want to own one. Of course, I don't want to force it. But have requested to do a TD just to get a perspective of where it stands. But pretty sure it will be considered only if the Corolla and Elantra totally disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
[*]He said that the engine+gearbox was more responsive. There have been reviews suggesting that the Altis has very little rubber band effect
Thanks. I assumed the Elantra would be slightly better to drive due to the TC Gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Alternatives: Since it is going to be a weekend car, why not look at a preowned option such as a C200/320i?
Or even Accords / CR-Vs / Camrys with low milage?
Not keen on pre-owned, but will put forth the option once more.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th December 2015 at 21:54.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:11   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Camry would be too much of a stretch. Also wants to buy now, so waiting for new models is not feasible.
Agree on the Kizashi. Would have been a good option. Not keen on something like the Teana.
Thanks. I assumed the Elantra would be slightly better to drive due to the TC Gearbox.Not keen on pre-owned, but will put forth the option once more.
With this constraint, there aren't much choices. I'd suggest looking at the Honda CRV? Else ask the dealers for any left over stock of Kizashi or Sonata?

Or alternatively, if size doesnt matter (as I saw the D segment budget) - can look at the Volvo V40?

Last edited by AirWind : 11th December 2015 at 11:16.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:26   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-owned A3? But seriously cramped rear seat for the entire week. Audi Bengaluru advertised to sell MY14 pre-owned Audis with 2 year unlimited warranty etc. etc.

E-paper PDF file attached. Please refer to page 2.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audi.pdf (130.7 KB, 271 views)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:41   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
With this constraint, there aren't much choices. I'd suggest looking at the Honda CRV? Else ask the dealers for any left over stock of Kizashi or Sonata?

Or alternatively, if size doesnt matter (as I saw the D segment budget) - can look at the Volvo V40?
No SUV's So Honda CRV out of the picture. Definitely not a person to look out for leftover stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Pre-owned A3? But seriously cramped rear seat for the entire week. Audi Bengaluru advertised to sell MY14 pre-owned Audis with 2 year unlimited warranty etc. etc.

E-paper PDF file attached. Please refer to page 2.
Yes, saw this in the paper. Some good options. But he does not want to get into the premium brands and also no pre-owned.

So it is pretty much between the Elantra and Corolla and trending towards the Corolla as it has a better image than the Elantra.

And I wonder why and how the Corolla sells so much. Above seems to be a standard thought process and it will typically end at the Corolla.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:23   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello experts. Looking for some feedback with respect to a D Segmenter. I am helping a friend with his purchase of a car. Current ride is a Santro AT which will be retained for daily commutes.
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Hyundai Elantra

Any other inputs welcome. I have basically conveyed the above points and asked him to TD both to see which feels better overall from his perspective. But want to ensure that I am not missing anything since he will go by my recommendations.
Further update and a couple of questions on this. Based on TD's it looks like it is going to be the Elantra. No discussion on offers/discounts yet. Here is the picture
  • Dealers here do not have any ready stock
  • There are ~35 Oct manufactured cars at the plant (in Chennai). Based on the bookings they will be shipped out as needed.
  • Colors include Black, Blue, Red and White. Any other choice will need to wait for the next production batch- delivery sometime in Feb.

My questions/concerns
  • October Manufacture means that the cars would have borne the full brunt of the November/December Chennai rains. is this something to be worried about?
  • Is there any way to check if the car was standing in water for a length of time?
  • The dealership gave a strange offer-They said that you can opt for either JK or Nippon Tyres. I have never heard a dealer offering a choice in tyres. In addition, the official review here and one ownership report shows the tyres as Goodyear Assurance. So I am wondering if the cars were left standing submerged at tyre level during the recent rains and floods and they had to change tyres. Is this a possibility or am I just reading too much into it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks