Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 22:10   #31
BHPian

I am now offered a 50k cash discount on ex-showroom of 2011 SX4, petrol.

For comparison, a 2012 SX4 gets a discount of 30K.

Is this a decent deal? The dealer keeps insisting that Maruti doesn't let dealers be independent in their discounts and pricing. So it seems 20k more for the older model is maximum they can muster?
Old 19th March 2012, 22:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a previous model year car in the current year? Post all related queries he

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I am now offered a 50k cash discount on ex-showroom of 2011 SX4, petrol.

For comparison, a 2012 SX4 gets a discount of 30K.

Is this a decent deal? The dealer keeps insisting that Maruti doesn't let dealers be independent in their discounts and pricing. So it seems 20k more for the older model is maximum they can muster?
You can push for more, IMO. Do NOT agree for any free accessories, ask for only cash discount.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Re: Buying a previous model year car in the current year? Post all related queries he

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
You can push for more, IMO. Do NOT agree for any free accessories, ask for only cash discount.
I've now asked for a cash discount of Rs. 1 lakh. Let us see what the dealer says.
Old 24th March 2012, 21:37   #34
BHPian

I had posted a question in this thread but it appears this is the more appropriate place for this question.

I am getting a 2011 November manufactured Etios-Diesel VD variant at the ex-showroom price of 2011. It is 13 kms run and tyres, seats, plastics appear unused. I'm convinced that it is not a test drive car or a showroom piece.

Considering the fact Etios-D prices were increased twice, once in January '12 and once in March '12 after budget, the 2011 prices are about 28,000 lower. There is an additional offer of 10,000 worth of free accessories.

On 2012 models, there are no cash discounts and minimal offer of accessories (about 3k).

My question is - is it a good deal?

To make matters complex (or less complex) -

Pros with the 2011 model (in my opinion)
- It has light grey dashboard compared to darker ones in 2012
- No waiting period (car is in the yard)
- I'm planning to hold the car for atleast 4 years, so +/- 1 year models hopefully wont affect resale so much for a diesel car?

Cons with 2011
- obviously it is 1 year older and hence depreciated in paper although not used in reality
- the roof antenna is not foldable, it protrudes really tall and I shall most probably remove it
- the risk of the car being used for Test Drives and this fact or history getting 'intelligently hidden' from my layman's eyes

Last edited by GenuineOptimist : 24th March 2012 at 21:47.
Old 4th April 2012, 17:21   #35
BHPian

Alto K-10 Lxi - Dec 2011 Mfg Car?

All:

I am looking to buy an Alto K10. I was initially interested in buying a Vxi but the dealer offered an Lxi with a good deal.

But the catch is, the car is manufactured in Dec 2011 and the dealer insists it came to their yard only this week (which I am sure is not true).

They are offering me a JVC music system with USB, two speakers, Nippon/autocop remote locking and Nanolex sunfilm. They also promised two front power windows at 3k ( geniune maruti power windows, the actual cost of which is 8k).

There could be one logical reason as to why they could not sell this car for 3 months - Because its an Lxi. The price difference between Lxi and Vxi is just about 15000 rupees and so not many people buy the Lxi version. I have myself seen only Vxis on the road. That said, I am still concerned.

My questions:

1. Is it advisable to buy a 3 month old car? What would happen to a car if it is parked for 3 months.

2. I am going to their stock yard to check out the car in person. Apart from the PDI checklist, what else should I check for?

Look forward to your inputs.
Old 4th April 2012, 17:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto K-10 Lxi - Dec 2011 Mfg Car?

If you intend to keep the car for around 4 to 5 years this won't be a problem as after an year or so this will never be a concern. So try to elicit more by way of discounts and as accessories. But ensure that it was never a test drive car or an accident involved one and confirm the odometer reading is genuine.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th April 2012 at 17:29.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Cars are built well these days and 3 months car parked (assuming its a safe place, i.e. away from extreme heat and rain) should not be a problem.

Many a times folks traveling out of India leave their cars parked in their basements or parking lots for months and once they come back all it probably needs is a bit of cleaning and basic checks like oil, air and battery.

I would suggest you specifically look for the same, tyre looking bad, and if the color of the car looks faded because its been parked in the sun.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:27   #38
BHPian

If you can live with LXi then keep the following points in mind:

- Ask for more CASH discount
- Check for the VIN also
- Handover the cheque / DD only after doing a detailed PDI

If you get good offer and you plan to keep this car for at least 4-5 years then there is no problem in buying this car.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

When you are trying to sell the car you will get a marginally low price because it will be clearly mentioned in the registration book/smart card that the year of manufacture is 2011 even though the registration date will be Apr 2012. The person buying the car will definitely negotiate on those grounds.

If you are okay will that 10-15k less price when you sell it, go for it provided you are sure its not a TD car . 3 months is hardly a time to be worried.

One of the main reasons why this could be lying for 3 months is because of its year of manufacture.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

I leave my cars unused for fifteen days at times, and all I need is to brush aside the dust from them once I start reusing them. They are both more than eight years old, one of them on a 4-year old battery, and I haven't bothered checking the fluids in the last four months (though I do change them at regular intervals).

So a three month old car should be as good as new. Just ensure that all the fluids are good, the battery is good.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 18:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Provided the car has just been sitting idle for 3 months it will not be a problem at all.

Like you, I doubt the dealer's story of the car arriving last week at the dealership. More likely it has been sitting in their yard for all this time.

The main thing to check is if it is a car that has been run in that time with the speedo disconnected. The easiest way to verify this is check the tyres carefully. If they show signs of use that is a giveaway. The other is to check the interiors carefully. Usually used vehicles wind up with scratches and other tell tale marks of use.

If this is a big dealer, the odds are they have demo cars and so would not need to use the car for demo's.

Accident damage is another possibility so check for things like a mismatch in paint colour and newly welded parts.

Try to negotiate more of a discount if at all possible.

Since you intend to keep the car for 5 years or so, don't worry about the Dec 2011 construction. You might lose an extra 10K at most at resale, and you will most likely get this with the discounts you are being offered so don't worry about it at all.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 18:11   #42
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for the thoughts. I do intend to keep the car for a few years. I have already given a token advance but I have told them I will proceed only if I am fully satisfied with the car or else, I will choose a new Vxi, which is what I originally intended to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
If you can live with LXi then keep the following points in mind:

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks Irish. I thought the Vxi only has cosmetic features over the Lxi, which can be retrofitted later - Front power windows, fog lamps, Parcel tray and wheel caps.

Is there anything else important that I am missing here?
Old 4th April 2012, 18:14   #43
BHPian

i somehow do not believe that the dealership got the car only a week ago. it must have been sitting with the dealer all this time and given that the Alto is not a slow moving vehicle, it should have been sold off by now unless there are some problems.
be very careful in checking out the car inside out and negotiate hard to make the best deal out of it in case you decide to buy it.
and above all, if you have even 1% doubt about buying this vehicle, move on; otherwise you'll have this thought stuck in your mind for the period of ownership.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 18:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Thanks Irish. I thought the Vxi only has cosmetic features over the Lxi, which can be retrofitted later - Front power windows, fog lamps, Parcel tray and wheel caps.

Is there anything else important that I am missing here?
Tachometer, Left OVRM, Power socket, Key reminder etc.

I think VXi is worth it. If you're sticking to this LXi, please do a thorough PDI with the T-BHP checklist. All the best!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 19:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Tachometer, Left OVRM, Power socket, Key reminder etc.

I think VXi is worth it. If you're sticking to this LXi, please do a thorough PDI with the T-BHP checklist. All the best!
Thanks @deetjohn. I didn't know the Lxi doesn't have left ORVM. will check with those guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks