Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 11:45   #961
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

I absolutely love Blind Guardian...their Imaginations through the looking glass DVD is worth a watch for anybody who loves good music (or any genre of metal). Although I often tend to skip Nightfall and A night at the Opera. I prefer stuff from Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations.
Old 10th August 2013, 18:36   #962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I absolutely love Blind Guardian...their Imaginations through the looking glass DVD is worth a watch for anybody who loves good music (or any genre of metal). Although I often tend to skip Nightfall and A night at the Opera. I prefer stuff from Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations.
Memories come flooding Abhay. Being a hard core Tolkien fan, I just cant skip Nightfall album (Esp. given the fact I love Silmarilion part of the story more than Lord of the Rings).
The Live Album is brilliant. I have a copy and just keep tasting it once in a while.
Their choruses are to die for !

Their latest album: At The Edge of Time is also brilliant. Their return back to vintage sound.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2013 at 18:41.
Old 11th September 2013, 22:53   #963
Team-BHP Support

A true blast from the past. Bruce with Ian Anderson singing from his solo album Chemical Wedding. The original had Adrian's guitars.

Old 4th October 2013, 11:54   #964
Senior - BHPian

Can't seem to stop listening to Tyr these days! Simply glorious. Their cover of Where Eagles Dare is just too good almost as good as their cover of I.

What a voice!
Old 10th October 2013, 22:58   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Can't seem to stop listening to Tyr these days! Simply glorious. Their cover of Where Eagles Dare is just too good almost as good as their cover of I.

What a voice!
Yeah thanks for the suggest! Wow, some nice songs - their renditions of the songs are awesome!!
Old 11th October 2013, 10:43   #966
BHPian

For people who love epic heavy metal, check out the new album from Atlantean Kodex

Old 28th October 2013, 11:34   #967
Senior - BHPian

Rocker Lou Reed is no more.

A note about his death from the Wikipedia article about him:

Quote:
In the spring of 2013, Reed underwent a liver transplant in Cleveland. Afterwards he claimed on his website to be "bigger and stronger" than ever. On October 27, 2013, Reed died at the age of 71 from liver disease at his home in Southampton, New York, on Long Island. His physician Charles Miller noted that Reed "was fighting right up to the very end. He was doing his Tai Chi exercises within an hour of his death, trying to keep strong and keep fighting."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Reed
Old 28th October 2013, 12:40   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Rocker Lou Reed is no more.

A note about his death from the Wikipedia article about him:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Reed
Velvet Underground was a very unique band and played heavily when I was growing up. RIP Reed!
Old 21st March 2014, 23:45   #969
Team-BHP Support

I was reading up the summary of metal releases for 2013. And Surprise-o-Surprise I stumbled upon Queensryche ST. So looks like after the split we have two groups fighting for the title (Tate and the rest minus DeGarmo).

So the remaining three fifths released an ST album in 2013. After a long time I felt thrilled buying an album! And wow it does sound close to vintage Queensryche. Production nowhere close to what Empire was. But would work for me; way better than the Tate side of things.
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:51   #970
Senior - BHPian

Metallica-

My all time favourite band!!
After Going through a lull lack lustre St. Anger, the band came back with a huge bang. Death Magnetic and the limited release Beyind Magnetic are fabulous.

All earlier hits remains immortal. They still manage to bring a smile on my lips whenever the road is long and empty and the car speed is nudging 100 kmph.

Scorpions:
Another long time favourite band. Holiday, Send me an Angel, Still loving you, Winds of Change, Dust in the Wind and more remains enchanting.

Cranberries:
Dolores voice is atypical and sounds ethnic. Animal Instinct, Zombie, Dreams, Warchild are few notable hits and continue listening to them again and again.

Iron Maiden: The Rime of the ancient Mariner(one of my favourite poems) recitation by IM is still one of my favourites. Infact, as I reached office, the same song was playing and I reached office in a pleasant mood. The Colours Dont Run, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg are other notable favourites.

Other Notable bands/singles-
-Rasmus
-Effervescence
-Creed
-Linkin Park(Special Mention here as I love their hit Numb, In the End, Pool of Blood, Down's Syndrome).
Old 25th March 2014, 13:21   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was reading up the summary of metal releases for 2013. And Surprise-o-Surprise I stumbled upon Queensryche ST. So looks like after the split we have two groups fighting for the title (Tate and the rest minus DeGarmo).

So the remaining three fifths released an ST album in 2013. After a long time I felt thrilled buying an album! And wow it does sound close to vintage Queensryche. Production nowhere close to what Empire was. But would work for me; way better than the Tate side of things.
OH yes. The new without tate queen's sound oh so close to vintage queens. Some of the live renditions of the old songs are just awesome.

This was a fun vid comparing the two:
Old 25th March 2014, 13:30   #972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
OH yes. The new without tate queen's sound oh so close to vintage queens. Some of the live renditions of the old songs are just awesome.
I think I mentioned this earlier too. In my earlier days when I was still finding Queensryche, I thought I ordered a video of the album Empire (I thought it was available!) and got a 5.1 DVD Audio!

And when I played it in my Home theater (Harmon Kardon AVR, JBL North Ridge Front, Bose E201 surround), it sounded SWEET! Still one my prized possessions.

I have their Live Evolution DVD. But still prefer the sound of studio album. Their production is right up there with the likes of Rush and Dream Theater.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:35   #973
Senior - BHPian

Geoff is an amazing singer sad to see them split up but hey what was a loss for him was a boon for us

Seen the video where Halford, Bruce and Geoff sing on stage together? They sing the one you love to hate! Man what an experience that must have been for the audience.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 25th March 2014 at 13:36.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:57   #974
Team-BHP Support

Ah.. the Holy Trinity. The other voice outside their realm which is absolutely magical and equally commanding (if not more) is the late Dio. Even today the Rainbow can weave its magic and Dio can leave many voices to dust. I got his last album (Atom and Evil) and it was fun.

PS : Reminding me of Holy Trinity; I saw that term in bhp for the first time when I saw Moderator @Tehnocrat's signature : "The Holy Trinity: Traction, Torque and Tarmac". That set me thinking now where I had heard that!

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2014 at 13:58.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:35   #975
Senior - BHPian

That is true. Which reminds me of this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-comp-20140206

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks