Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:14   #1021
BHPian

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKSB View Post
Another interesting bit of news. The mighty Cannibal Corpse are playing in Bangalore on 11th April this year. This really does look good!

Attachment 1331271
Cannibal Corpse!
1350 bucks seems like a steal for this show!
Sadly for me, like all concerts, its in Bangalore. Mumbai anyone?
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:49   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
When I was in college I had a general awareness of genres in metal, etc. I was just listening to the GNR, Metallica, pink Floyd in those days.
After getting the job, I had more time to explore and slowly I was losing touch with my pals so it happened that I was digging things out myself – in isolation. So in about 2 years I got hooked to thrash metal. The German thrash was my favorite – Kreator, Sodom. And then music evolved in my head, I wanted a new taste, ear drums needed some pounding. Another 2 years down the line I was listening to melodic death metal – amon amarth, arch enemy, kalmah, opeth, cradle of filth,in flames. Some black metal and other variants as well – dimmu borgir, cob

And then I got married. In the months before marriage I was exploring radiohead and now i cant let go of it. Not a day goes by without listening to it.

How many of you have seen this reversal – going from thrash to death and then pacing down to existential soulful rock like radiohead ?
Let me tell you you are not alone

Same thing happened to me too. One of the reasons was my wife kind of detests extremely heavy stuff. Als I do absolute zero portable listening. Its either music in the car or music on my hifi. So we end up listening to music which both of us don't mind - which includes stuff she listens to and stuff from my collection which she finds palatable - namely hard rock, alternative, grunge, symphonic metal, goth rock, progressive and the likes.

The good thing though is that she absolutely can't stand commercial crap so that kind of stuff never ends up being played.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd January 2015 at 16:53.
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:02   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Cannibal Corpse!
1350 bucks seems like a steal for this show!
Sadly for me, like all concerts, its in Bangalore. Mumbai anyone?
Carcass & Sikth just played a show in Mumbai last weekend. Sadly, most of these international gigs happen in Bangalore & other cities because the entertainment tax in Mumbai is way too high to organise any gigs which are financially viable to the promoters.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:57   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Found this gem while youtube surfing

Old 27th January 2015, 21:09   #1025
BHPian

Have you seen this parody of metal sub-genres? While it did have me go laugh out loud, I'm still unable to really pick out genres easily, with some sounding rather similar.

Personally, I prefer symphonic and thrash.
Old 27th January 2015, 22:09   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
This statement is absolutely true!

I think Maiden is one of the very few bands who have actually stuck to their roots unlike Metallica and Megadeth. Metallica long back converted to Hard Rock and Megadeth, well they just don't have the fire and agression anymore.

On this note, I think Testament deserves more praise than any other Thrash Metal band. Their last 2 albums 'Formation of Damnation,' 'Dark Roots of Earth' are a living proof that here is a band that stood the test of time. Dark Roots is enmeshed with riffs that evoke 'old-school' Thrash.

Formation of Damnation is my absolute favorite. It is an album that is held together by razor-sharp, memorable guitar solos - the kind that you hum, drum your fingers, and head-bang to (in that order...)

Exodus is one other band that needs a special mention. Their "Tempo of the Damned" is a masterpiece
Old 28th January 2015, 14:15   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On this note, I think Testament deserves more praise than any other Thrash Metal band. Their last 2 albums 'Formation of Damnation,' 'Dark Roots of Earth' are a living proof that here is a band that stood the test of time. Dark Roots is enmeshed with riffs that evoke 'old-school' Thrash.
In fact I've heard it said that the "Big 4" of thrash should include Testament at the expense of Anthrax and I must say I agree! Used to listen to their older stuff but they somehow never managed to stay high-profile during the 90s when Megadeth and Metallica zoomed into the mainstream consciousness. \m/
Old 28th January 2015, 14:48   #1028
BHPian

@SyncNest: thanks for the suggestion: downloading.

off-topic PSA: rdio.com is now officially launched in India. I think it's a decent, subscribe-able alternative to Spotify here.
Old 28th January 2015, 18:50   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@SyncNest: thanks for the suggestion: downloading.

off-topic PSA: rdio.com is now officially launched in India. I think it's a decent, subscribe-able alternative to Spotify here.
Official? Not sure about that cause when I try to open the site, it logs me into my DNS server.
Old 29th January 2015, 13:51   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In fact I've heard it said that the "Big 4" of thrash should include Testament at the expense of Anthrax! \m/
Bang on Sir! Testament deserve it!
Old 29th January 2015, 18:03   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Not metal but did any of you listen to the Going Back Home (Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey album)? I loved it. Some really good songs. Read the history behind it too. Was recorded in very short time but the album doesn't show it!

The title song from the album

Old 30th January 2015, 15:59   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Official? Not sure about that cause when I try to open the site, it logs me into my DNS server.
Oh, it is: http://blog.rdio.com/us/2015/01/rdio...-to-india.html

You could try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 temporarily and check.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:28   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On this note, I think Testament deserves more praise than any other Thrash Metal band.

Exodus is one other band that needs a special mention. Their "Tempo of the Damned" is a masterpiece
Lets not forget Overkill
Old 30th January 2015, 19:22   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Lets not forget Overkill
Yes, overkill. And, I would have included Slayer too. But their sound has been the same for quite a while. I mean, 'Reign in Blood' was bigger than the band itself. With their subsequent albums, they managed to push themselves into a corner where unfortunate bands go to sound like imitations of themselves. Don't get me wrong - I love Slayer. It's just that I cant feel that raw energy of say, Angel of Death, or even Black Magic from 'Show no Mercy.'

Since we are on the topic, there are other bands that come to my mind. German Thrash Metal band Kreator has experimented with synthetic sound and a little bit of death metal - but, like a beam of torch going round the universe to see the back of its own self, they kept returning to their elemental roots. This can be seen in 'Enemy of God'. The lyrics (sung without a single growl), the drum solos providing most of the base in some songs, granting both guitarists to explore infinite possibilities in shredding. Wow, I love this album.

Yes, we all have different tastes. I agree. Death Metal is nice, Black Metal is very unique, Melodic stuff feels like it can beautify almost anything.

But I have something to say about Thrash Metal. This genre, more than any other, feels like it is perfectly calibrated to snake through the circuits of my neural networks. Nothing like it. The head banging is automatic. I feel the music like a moving presense under my skin

Last edited by SyncNest : 30th January 2015 at 19:26. Reason: slayer in bold
Old 30th January 2015, 19:25   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Sheesh how could i have forgotten kreator

I get what you say about slayer, there albums fail to exude a sense of freshness which is prevalent in the new albums of overkill, testament, accept etc even though they are not really doing anything new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks