Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 16:40   #1141
BHPian

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Awesome! Oldies still going strong! First Maiden and then these guys!
If this can come from a 60+ guy ! I can only salute
That is a cracker of a number one and two. The very best. Halford is totally awesome, the Freddie Mercury of the Heavy Metal world if you will. The Air Raid Siren obviously has great control and power but there is no beating Halford's vocal range.

Meanwhile other great metal front-men like James Hetfield and Tom Araya have had to tone down the volume during live shows. Heck, even singers a generation younger like Corey Taylor have had to do it. Cheers.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Removed video link
Old 11th December 2017, 16:44   #1142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Meanwhile other great metal front-men like James Hetfield and Tom Araya have had to tone down the volume during live shows. Heck, even singers a generation younger like Corey Taylor have had to do it. Cheers.
Couple of names to add: Ozzy and my personal favourite Ronnie James Dio. One of his bests being Stargazer.
Old 11th December 2017, 17:03   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
There used to be this place called Disc Play at Mookambika Complex, Alwarpet where I used to get cassettes recorded when I was a kid. Don't know if you are referring to the same place. The guy's name was Sattar, IIRC.
Ha Ha. Yes. That is the one. It used to be the mecca of music for me. Some amazing collection of LPs he had and a patient chap i should say. Good to meet someone who has been there and done that
Old 11th December 2017, 17:33   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of names to add: Ozzy and my personal favourite Ronnie James Dio. One of his bests being Stargazer.
Let's not forget Geoff Tate. His early works with Queensryche was just metal bliss \m/

And watching him, bruce and rob belt out "the one you love to hate" gives me goose pimples everytime.

Just wish there was a proper recording of that somewhere.

And in case you guys have not heard this song, you must:

Tribuzy-Beast in the light.

God knows how Bruce came to be on this random band as guest vox but what a song.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:02   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Let's not forget Geoff Tate. His early works with Queensryche was just metal bliss \m/
Yes have heard Queensryche. Very similar voice to Bruce.

Quote:
Righto. Dio was super cool. My favorite Dio track is Jump Up and Shout. Plus have been a long standing fan because he was such a nice guy.... and he created \m/
Old 11th December 2017, 22:31   #1146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Yes have heard Queensryche. Very similar voice to Bruce.
Of course! One of the holy trinity (Bruce Halford and Tate).

I was blown away by Mindcrime. De-Garmo is awesome with Tate. Just loved the initial albums (I heard till Tribe and then I gave up).
Old 12th December 2017, 09:48   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was blown away by Mindcrime. De-Garmo is awesome with Tate. Just loved the initial albums (I heard till Tribe and then I gave up).
Same here. Queen of the Reich, Revolution calling, walk in the shadows, i don't believe in love, jet city woman are all permanent fixtures in my playlist.

But like Def Leppard they went on a different path than from the one they started on with.

Btb, i was looking in aliexpress and i was seeing box sets of all the big shots at throwaway prices. 20-40 dollars for the full catalog of name it they have it.

Should i bite the bullet? Tempting...
Old 12th December 2017, 10:22   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
This tiny teeny teaser is just amazing \m/
Still remember saving up to buy the double platter: Metal Works. Rob Halford has one of the best voices in the business, and of course the twin lead attack. One of my favorite bands. "Blood Red Skies".
Old 12th December 2017, 10:29   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Still remember saving up to buy the double platter: Metal Works. Rob Halford has one of the best voices in the business, and of course the twin lead attack. One of my favorite bands. "Blood Red Skies".
Hah! I had to struggle to raise some monies to buy the Metalogy Set from Planet M in Bangalore during my college days
Old 12th December 2017, 10:36   #1150
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, their style is has a quintessential metal sound to it. Now that you have planted this band into my head after ages, will have to load it into the car pendrive ASAP

I always keep my favorite bands like Maiden, Slayer, Bodom and of course Megadeth close to me but there are so many others that i binge listen from time to time once that seasonal interest is triggered. This include Exodus, Kreator, Stratovarius, Soulfly.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:53   #1151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, their style is has a quintessential metal sound to it. Now that you have planted this band into my head after ages, will have to load it into the car pendrive ASAP

I always keep my favorite bands like Maiden, Slayer, Bodom and of course Megadeth close to me but there are so many others that i binge listen from time to time once that seasonal interest is triggered. This include Exodus, Kreator, Stratovarius, Soulfly.
I have a 10+ year old Ipod classic with 60GB of metal in the car! Name it and its there. Anything and every thing. Mindcrime is one real sweet sounding metal album I have heard from Queensryche.

Prominent ones in my list: Floyd, Led-Zep, Rush, Dio, Rainbow, Yes, King Crimson, Queensryche, Maiden, Dire Straits, Priest, Clapton, Cream, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck and Hendrix.

Ones which keep coming up : Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, (And their cross Demons & Wizards), Nighwish, Bruce (solo), Knopfler (solo), Riverside, Matalica etc. Not a major fan of Megadeath.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2017 at 13:54.
Old 12th December 2017, 11:55   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 10+ year old Ipod classic with 60GB of metal in the car! Name it and its there. Anything and every thing. Mindcrime is one real sweet sounding metal albums I have heard from Queensryche.

Prominent ones in my list: Floyd, Led-Zep, Rush, Dio, Rainbow, Yes, King Crimson, Queensryche, Maiden, Dire Straits, Priest, Clapton, Cream, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck and Hendrix.

Ones which keep coming up : Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, (And their cross Demons & Wizards), Nighwish, Bruce (solo), Knopfler (solo), Riverside, Matalica etc. Not a major fan of Megadeath.
That is really cool. I still use my 10 year old and then top of the line 8GB pen drive. I have used a 16GB too. But for some reason did not like having too many songs in car (some weird OCD about having all songs within 'reach' . However I regularly go back to the PC to load up on music. That is when bands in my mind's wishlist get uploaded. My last change-up included Rammstien, Slipknot, Rare Earth, Epica and Symphony X. And after revisiting the last two, Dream Theatre is due next.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:04   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 10+ year old Ipod classic with 60GB of metal in the car! Name it and its there. Anything and every thing. Mindcrime is one real sweet sounding metal albums I have heard from Queensryche.

You named it all there in your first list. My ipod classic crapped out and i finally went with Cayin for the flac support. Managed to get flac of the entire Floyd, Zep and Springsteen. I grew up with Springsteen, my room was full of his posters and i tried getting ripped up like him. Sadly curd rice did not help out. But he was my first model before i hit the hard rock and metal scene.

Nowadays as the whiskey gets older and mellowed, i tuned into blues big time. The sad part is that the big names or as we call it the Kings are dead and gone. There are a handful still plugging the delta blues together. I managed about 30gigs of delta, electric, slide blues now. My favs still manage to be Howlin Wolf, Albert King, Buddy Guy, BB King, Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Lightnin Hopkins, Johnny Winters, SRV
Old 12th December 2017, 14:02   #1154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My last change-up included Rammstien, Slipknot, Rare Earth, Epica and Symphony X. And after revisiting the last two, Dream Theatre is due next.
Oh yes forgot Dreamtheater, Epica and Symphony-X. A couple of others include Lacuna Coil and Faith No More. Not to forget the amazing guitarists. Satriani and his G3; Vai and Malmsteen. (Latest one had Pettrucci and that G3 Jam with Smoke on the Water as good as it gets!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
You named it all there in your first list. My ipod classic crapped out and i finally went with Cayin for the flac support. Managed to get flac of the entire Floyd, Zep and Springsteen. I grew up with Springsteen, my room was full of his posters and i tried getting ripped up like him. Sadly curd rice did not help out. But he was my first model before i hit the hard rock and metal scene.
Nicely put! Not heard the older ones yet.

Also I am hoping a newer version of Ipod Nano comes with 128GB. Usually the cars dont integrate their head units with non-Apple devices. Controls and reading MP3 are not that seamless. Hence hoping (against hope) that Apple makes a Nano more space. My Ipod classic may break very soon.
Old 14th December 2017, 02:36   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hah! I had to struggle to raise some monies to buy the Metalogy Set from Planet M in Bangalore during my college days
Hahaha....at least you guys had Planet M! I knew of ONE store in my hometown where my friends (you know who) and I would go to regularly, bugging them to purchase tapes for us. We used to binge on RSJ and make lists. This shop would get us most of the tapes though! Good times!

Quote:
Never been a car guy but have to drive here so it is fun to listen to some good music in the car!

Quote:
Not you Ampere, not you! Megadeth!

No worries, you can spell Metallica however you want

Any of you guys remember Rock Street Journal? Are they still around?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks