Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2018, 07:43   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Roger Taylor drummer of Queen sitting behind me at a concert by Bad Company at the O2.

Roger was there as Adam Lambert also sings for Queen.

I've edited out myself and you can see a bit of my T Shirt at the bottom right hand corner.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-1image.jpeg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 1st July 2018 at 07:48.
Old 1st July 2018, 08:08   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Have just uploaded this video I took of Pink Floyd's rock anthem "Brain Damage" played by Brit Floyd.

Recorded by me at the Cadogan Hall in London. Was fortunate to be seated in the second row from the stage.

Although a tribute band, found them to be pretty good.

With Pink Floyd not likely to have any more concerts and Gilmour's concerts such as "Live at Pompeii" released last year being almost experimental in nature rather than staying true to the original, tribute bands seem to be the way to go to get a feel of the original.

Gilmour has vastly improvised (not necessarily improved) on the original riffs in that album as a result most of the hooks have disappeared.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd July 2018 at 15:55. Reason: As requested
Old 2nd July 2018, 17:09   #1173
BHPian

Anyone heading to Bangalore Open Air this year? The line up is awesome and I'm already sad I won't be seeing these guys live.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-screenshot_20180702170221.png  

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-screenshot_20180702170221.png  

Old 2nd July 2018, 18:39   #1174
Senior - BHPian

WOW though i am not a die hard fan of Overkill, their music is killer \m/ Would be an amazing concert.

And Kryptos' last album was pure 80's metal goodness!
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:16   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Went to a Def Leppard / Journey / The Pretenders concert here yesterday. Though we were close to the stage, we had seats! Was surprised by seating given for concerts here. Oh well, the old legs did get some break being able to sit down for boring songs.
Old 5th July 2018, 16:00   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Roger Taylor drummer of Queen sitting behind me at a concert by Bad Company at the O2.

Roger was there as Adam Lambert also sings for Queen.

I've edited out myself and you can see a bit of my T Shirt at the bottom right hand corner.
Man that's pretty cool!

The memorabilia on display is an awesome collection. We seldom get such opportunities in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Went to a Def Leppard / Journey / The Pretenders concert here yesterday. Though we were close to the stage, we had seats! Was surprised by seating given for concerts here. Oh well, the old legs did get some break being able to sit down for boring songs.
Seats? Is that a first? Never have I heard of seating for such concerts before! You were lucky!
Old 5th July 2018, 22:01   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
Man that's pretty cool!
We almost fell off our chairs as did some others sitting next to us! It's not every day that you have a Roger Taylor sitting behind you. On top of this we had to suppress our excitement and appear as if it's normal to have this sort of thing happen to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
The memorabilia on display is an awesome collection. We seldom get such opportunities in India.
The first time I visited the exhibition I was just halfway through when they closed the exhibition. Based on a representation I was allowed another visit and it was only then that I could sort of see the full exhibition. It's not 2 hours as I mentioned but more than 3 hours to sort of get to see the entire exhibition. A complete history of all their albums along with pics and incidents associated with the production were all there.

For instance, "Another Brick on the wall" was based on a very strict teacher who taught Roger Waters. School was a very bad experience for Roger and included him getting caned by teachers. The lyrics are based on this negative experience. The words "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!" says it all.

The pièce de résistance of the exhibition was the last hall where we were allowed to sit anywhere on the floor in a large hall and listen to a couple of tracks - the last of which was "Confortably numb". The video was projected all around us on the walls and the sound was also streamed from all around. Gave a feeling as if we were in the midst of a live performance. You could sit for as long as you wanted.

Don't know if you've heard the Brit Floyd video I've posted...well worth a listen.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th July 2018 at 22:05.
Old 6th July 2018, 02:08   #1178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
We almost fell off our chairs as did some others sitting next to us! It's not every day that you have a Roger Taylor sitting behind you. On top of this we had to suppress our excitement and appear as if it's normal to have this sort of thing happen to us.
Super cool! Taylor was often overshadowed by the genius of Mercury and to an extent May, but is one of the greats for sure.

Meanwhile, Pantera bassist Rex published a moving tribute to his late buddy Vinnie Paul: http://www.metalinjection.net/this-i...t-beyond-words
Old 6th July 2018, 21:36   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Taylor was often overshadowed by the genius of Mercury and to an extent May, but is one of the greats for sure.
True. Most drummers live in the shadow of the singers and lead guitarists. Right from Ringo Starr onwards.

As a rather self effacing drummer once quipped to his lead singer " A drummer is someone who hangs around musicians". And the equally self effacing lead singer retorted " So what are you doing here?"

An exception to all of this would be the likes of Don Henley but then he was also the lead singer.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:28   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Roger Waters live 3 days ago at Hyde Park:

Part -1

Part - 2

Eric Clapton and Santana live yesterday:

Old 18th July 2018, 12:39   #1181
BHPian

I dint want to start another thread, but i was wondering what kind of playlists each of us keep. For driving, for the rains, for sleep, for fun times and for those depressing moments. If this is not the place, request the mods to move it to the appropriate section.

Here is my poignant moment songs

Bridge over troubled water - Simon & Garfunkel
My Sweet Lord - George Harisson
Nothing compares to you - Sinead O Connor
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
Candle in the Wind - Elton John
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Would love to hear from all of you
Old 18th July 2018, 22:18   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I dint want to start another thread, but i was wondering what kind of playlists each of us keep. For driving, for the rains, for sleep, for fun times and for those depressing moments. If this is not the place, request the mods to move it to the appropriate section.

Here is my poignant moment songs

Bridge over troubled water - Simon & Garfunkel
My Sweet Lord - George Harisson
Nothing compares to you - Sinead O Connor
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
Candle in the Wind - Elton John
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Would love to hear from all of you
Permanent features in my lineup,
* Agalloch - In the Shadow of our Pale Companion
* Agalloch - The Melancholy Spirit
* The Evpatoria Report - Taijin Kyofusho
* Explosions in the Sky - First Breath After Coma
* God is Astronaut - Forever Lost
* God is Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
* The Pineapple Thief - Remember Us
* Porcupine Tree - The Start of Something Beautiful
* Porcupine Tree - Russia On Ice
* Porcupine Tree - Anaesthetize
* Opeth - Porcelain Heart
* Iron Maiden - Hallowed be Thy Name

These are absolute crème de la crème of the lot. Not all of them belong to metal genre. Most of them are post-rock, progressive rock/metal. By the way, I don't listen to any of these while driving. Because, I lose myself in a dreamy sea on every listen.

I prefer an alternative set while driving that consists a few Telugu, Hindi, Pop pieces.

Last edited by strawhat : 18th July 2018 at 22:21.
Old 20th July 2018, 18:05   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Remember reading the webstrip some time back, imagine my surprise when this music video came out \m/

Stumbled upon this one while video hopping on YouTube. Was surprised

Old 20th July 2018, 18:47   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Permanent features in my lineup,
* Agalloch - In the Shadow of our Pale Companion
* Agalloch - The Melancholy Spirit
* The Evpatoria Report - Taijin Kyofusho
* Explosions in the Sky - First Breath After Coma
* God is Astronaut - Forever Lost
* God is Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
* The Pineapple Thief - Remember Us
* Porcupine Tree - The Start of Something Beautiful
* Porcupine Tree - Russia On Ice
* Porcupine Tree - Anaesthetize
* Opeth - Porcelain Heart
* Iron Maiden - Hallowed be Thy Name

These are absolute crème de la crème of the lot. Not all of them belong to metal genre. Most of them are post-rock, progressive rock/metal. By the way, I don't listen to any of these while driving. Because, I lose myself in a dreamy sea on every listen.
If you like PT, Pineapple Thief, Opeth and God is an Astronaut, I'm certain you'd enjoy Tool. You must listen to these albums: 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Aenima.

Speaking of Tool, fans of the band were in for a surprise on the 16th of July, when Google sent an update to these fans stating that the new album is out!

Naturally, fans went into a frenzy as the album they were waiting for was finally out after 12 years! But they were all (me included) in for a rude shock when they realised that Tool which dropped the new album is actually some rapper that goes by the name Tool$.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2018 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
Old 20th July 2018, 19:56   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you like PT, Pineapple Thief, Opeth and God is an Astronaut, I'm certain you'd enjoy Tool. You must listen to these albums: 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Aenima.
Thanks for the reccos. Will give them a listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Naturally, fans went into a frenzy as the album they were waiting for was finally out after 12 years! But they were all (me included) in for a rude shock when they realised that Tool which dropped the new album is actually some rapper that goes by the name Tool$.
Talk about all the excitement being sniffed out and beaten the living hell. A rap/hip-hop song is the ultimate sacrilege. No offense meant

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2018 at 12:53. Reason: Fixing typo in quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks