Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 17:41   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Dream Theater to play in India on 8th Oct, at MMRDA Grounds, Mumbai.
Awesome! I just hope they play the older stuff. Images and Words, A change of seasons, Awake, Scenes from a Memory etc.

The new ones have kind of lost the touch for me.
Old 9th October 2017, 01:04   #1127
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Awesome! I just hope they play the older stuff. Images and Words, A change of seasons, Awake, Scenes from a Memory etc.

The new ones have kind of lost the touch for me.
Caught the DT show at Dubai on friday- a buck list item! Sadly the venue & acoustics was awful to say the least. And the turnout was disappointing - not more than a couple of thousand, if that.

My last concert was Maiden at Palace grounds, Bangalore. I almost ended up at the ER thanks to frenzied fans. Parikrama, the opening act, had to stop in the middle of a set when they recognized the pushing and shoving

From that perspective the crowd at the Dome, Dubai, was the most civilized audience in the history of rock music! Back to my comment on the venue: the sound was so, so bad - I cant believe that the sound crew for a big ticket band like DT couldnt get the set up right. The only explanation I can come up with is that their sound engineer missed his connection to dubai.

The show started with numbers from their recent albums. It was well into the first hour that that they James and the crew started belting familiar numbers from Images and words. The band hasnt lost its intensity or edge twenty-five years after the release of I&W. But fatigue, from the long tour, was evident from the body language on stage. Long story short - I need to see them live at a better venue. The other act thats still on my list is metallica
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-dt.jpg  

Last edited by Zed : 9th October 2017 at 01:09.
Old 11th October 2017, 16:39   #1128
BHPian

Hi Guys,

It is my first post on this thread, and I do plan to stick around. I have been listening to Heavy Metal since 2000 or so. I play drums for a metal band in Mumbai called "Albatross".

I had the opportunity to witness the mighty DREAM THEATER in Mumbai on the 8th of October. As a drummer, no other band has influenced me more than DT. The earlier days were of course spent listening to drummers like Lars Ulrich (Metallica), Dave Lombardo (Slayer) and many more. But the guy who really influenced me the most, and really shaped my drumming was Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater. Although he is no more with DT since 2010, it was an absolutely incredible experience watching them last Sunday.

I bought the tickets on the morning of the gig itself. Platinum tickets were for 7.5K which were quite steep but totally worth it.

Just before they got on stage, it started to pour. Guitarist John Petrucci started with the intro riff from the song "Dark Eternal Night". However, they stopped abruptly towards the end of the song because it started to pour pretty heavily and there was a lot of lightning.

They resumed in about 5 minutes or so and the rest of the set was uninterrupted.

As they were celebrating 25 years of their album "Images and Words", they played the album in its entirety!

The encore was what stole the show for me. I absolutely did not expect them to play their epic masterpiece " A Change of Seasons" - which is over 23 minutes long!

I hope they return to India soon. (I secretly also hope that they reunite with drummer Mike Portnoy)

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2017, 21:23   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateMotorhead View Post
I play drums for a metal band in Mumbai called "Albatross".
I presume you are Jay Thacker? If yes, then what a coincidence! I have the Dinner is You album and tee And this reminds me, I should hear Fear from the Skies

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2017, 22:42   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
I presume you are Jay Thacker? If yes, then what a coincidence! I have the Dinner is You album and tee And this reminds me, I should hear Fear from the Skies

Cheers!
Wow!! Guilty as charged!

You just made my day Cataclysm! Please do listen to the album and let me know what you think. Never expected anyone to know about Albatross on Team-BHP!!!

Thanks for buying the albums and the T Shirt mate! Really appreciate it!

(Sorry for using too many exclamations )
Old 15th October 2017, 11:54   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateMotorhead View Post
Wow!! Guilty as charged!

You just made my day Cataclysm! Please do listen to the album and let me know what you think. Never expected anyone to know about Albatross on Team-BHP!!!

Thanks for buying the albums and the T Shirt mate! Really appreciate it!

(Sorry for using too many exclamations )
Well, you got one more Albatross fan here man!

Quote:
Never expected anyone to know about Albatross on Team-BHP!!!
Actually it's vice-versa! I am quite surprised to see someone from the scene here.

Anyway, welcome to TBHP bro! Hope you have a nice time here

P.S: Here is my copy of 'Dinner is You'
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img_20171015_114812_01.jpg  

Old 15th October 2017, 16:35   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Well, you got one more Albatross fan here man!
This just keeps getting better! Thanks a lot Impala59.

I'd love to be a part of a 'Team-BHP Metal heads meet up'. May be at the next Albatross gig?

Thanks again man. Glad to finally be on the forum! I'll make sure to keep this tread updated with updates from the Indian heavy metal scene as well.

Cheers,
Jay.
Old 16th October 2017, 15:41   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Caught the "Pink Floyd - Their Mortal Remains" exhibition at the V&A London.If you are a Pink Floyd fan, it can take you at least 4-5 hours to see all the exhibits - it's that derailed.

The exhibition ends in a huge hall with a recorded live performance of Comfortably Numb with fantastic audio quality.

"Live at Pompeii" was just released recently, but that's just Gilmour. Many say he is Pink Floyd - point of view of course.

Also caught Jeff Beck, Orianthi and Ritchie Sambora and a few other shows in London.

Missed Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore!!
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:18   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Here is Bruce Dickinson live talking about his book - What Does This Button Do?

The stream starts at 16:55 and has quite a few details on being a pilot, the Ed Force One and it then cuts into Q&A.

What a man!
Old 14th November 2017, 22:22   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Here is Bruce Dickinson live talking about his book - What Does This Button Do?
What a man!
Bought it the day it was released.

Check this out! I just cant believe the song was released 35 years ago and to this day these guys play it as fresh as ever.

And to think Bruce just came back from Mouth Cancer!
(EDIT: Sorry he was diagnised with Tongue Cancer)

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2017 at 22:53.
Old 1st December 2017, 22:26   #1136
Team-BHP Support

Did not even realise Steve Vai was in Shillong in Oct. He is coming to Pune Dec 8-10. Make best use!

https://grapevineonline.in/nh7-weekender-india-line-up/
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:29   #1137
Senior - BHPian

This tiny teeny teaser is just amazing \m/

Old 2nd December 2017, 12:12   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
This tiny teeny teaser is just amazing \m/
Awesome! Oldies still going strong! First Maiden and then these guys!

If this can come from a 60+ guy ! I can only salute

Old 11th December 2017, 14:45   #1139
BHPian

Cleaning up my little toy box, i snatched upon an old mix tape that i made. There used to be a store in Alwarpet (Chennai) which used to record cassettes from LPs and you could chose the songs. It costed Rs 5 per song and you were to bring the tape. Plus some days had deals of recording a 90 mt tape for Rs 50. Ah those were the days when one searched for TDK, BASF tapes !!!. Putting it on, the first song i heard was this ...awesome way to start the week day of an ending month
Old 11th December 2017, 16:21   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
. There used to be a store in Alwarpet (Chennai) which used to record cassettes from LPs and you could chose the songs. It costed Rs 5 per song and you were to bring the tape. Plus some days had deals of recording a 90 mt tape for Rs 50.
There used to be this place called Disc Play at Mookambika Complex, Alwarpet where I used to get cassettes recorded when I was a kid. Don't know if you are referring to the same place. The guy's name was Sattar, IIRC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks