Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 23:41   #1216
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
BTW, at the end of Ronnie's life, he made one studio album with Iommi and Butler under the moniker of Heaven & Hell. The album name is The Devil You know which followed by a couple of live albums. Please do check them. They are terrific and perfect goodbye ones, IMHO.
The moment it was released I bought it! Just loved his voice. Its was as refreshing as it was in Holy Diver! My personal favorite of Dio is the Rainbow song stargazer. He just pulls and pulls like the Compass Torque on the 2L MJD! What a range! By the way he was also the voice of Dr X in Operation Mindcrime II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I like em both. Dio and Ozzy. I like Ozzy more though. In fact, I am planning to watch him live - probably one of his last concerts.
Iron Man it is! Both are great in their own right. Especially I like the Iron man with Metallica.

Quote:
Btw, any of you guys like Greta van Fleet? I love Led Zep so I naturally found this band awesome too! Heh, got tickets for their concert - just a walk away from office.
Thank you! This was a great find! Fantastic listening. I felt like Led Zep Next gen! Will follow these guys now! A great new find after quite some time. Last one for me was Riverside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Steve Vai & Malmsteen & Zakk Wylde & Nuno Bettencourt perform Bohemian Rhapsody on their guitars.
Try the G3 version of Smoke on the water or the Master one from Rock Aid Armenia! My 2 personal best ones.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2019 at 23:46.
Old 26th February 2019, 00:28   #1217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw, any of you guys like Greta van Fleet? I love Led Zep so I naturally found this band awesome too! Heh, got tickets for their concert - just a walk away from office.
Greta van Fleet sounds like Led Zeppelin 2.0! It's the glorious sound of the '70s and '80s in trying times like ours'. Great find for me, will keep listening to them for years to come!

Another band that sounds like music from the past is The Black Keys. Fantastic driving music and great to jam with as well! I particularly love the crunch in their guitar work.. lovely stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Steve Vai & Malmsteen & Zakk Wylde & Nuno Bettencourt perform Bohemian Rhapsody on their guitars.
This is a masterclass by the greats.
Nuno Bettencourt still rocks his black nail polish.

And Green Day crowd sings Bohemian Rhapsody - note for note @ Hyde Park July 1st, 2017. Awesome crowd.
Hope you guys have watched BoRap, the movie.. I liked it so much I watched it twice!

That clip of the crowd singing Bohemian Rhapsody is everything you need to know about rock music and the emotions that it stirs from within.
Old 26th February 2019, 01:04   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thank you! This was a great find! Fantastic listening. I felt like Led Zep Next gen! Will follow these guys now! A great new find after quite some time. Last one for me was Riverside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Greta van Fleet sounds like Led Zeppelin 2.0! It's the glorious sound of the '70s and '80s in trying times like ours'. Great find for me, will keep listening to them for years to come!
Glad you guys liked it. Yeah I was just blown away by their music when I first listened to it. Quickly bought the tickets a few months back - concert is in May!
Old 26th February 2019, 07:06   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Glad you guys liked it. Yeah I was just blown away by their music when I first listened to it. Quickly bought the tickets a few months back - concert is in May!
Yes, Greta Van Fleet is awesome band. One of very few modern bands that rocks much like in the 70's. Fortunately, I managed to get all of their albums.

Enjoy their show.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th February 2019 at 07:11. Reason: line spacing
Old 26th February 2019, 09:53   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Another favourite album of mine These guys are amazing.
Old 26th February 2019, 13:16   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Another favourite album of mine These guys are amazing.

Never heard about this band. Wow, that's very nice one. It almost sounded like heavier side of Thin Lizzy kind of music. Thanks for the introduction.
Old 26th February 2019, 13:22   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never heard about this band. Wow, that's very nice one. It almost sounded like heavier side of Thin Lizzy kind of music. Thanks for the introduction.
That is exactly what i thought when i heard these guys for the first time
Old 26th February 2019, 13:37   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That is exactly what i thought when i heard these guys for the first time
Hahaha, Ok. All their albums sounds like Lizzy or only this one?

Nevertheless, their practice to sound like Lizzy is really very commendable, especially with their own songs. Apart from their complex musicianship, the singers like Phil Lynott or Freddie Mercury is really very hard to imitate, IMHO.

BTW, you can call me Raaj, and what would I to you? Coz, death walker sounds little heavy on me

Last edited by Wildy : 26th February 2019 at 13:39.
Old 26th February 2019, 19:58   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha, Ok. All their albums sounds like Lizzy or only this one?

Nevertheless, their practice to sound like Lizzy is really very commendable, especially with their own songs. Apart from their complex musicianship, the singers like Phil Lynott or Freddie Mercury is really very hard to imitate, IMHO.

BTW, you can call me Raaj, and what would I to you? Coz, death walker sounds little heavy on me
Not sure but i think they just have two albums out after which they disbanded. The first album was more miss than hit, but this one was just a big home run hit

Name's Ajith.
Old 26th February 2019, 22:16   #1225
Distinguished - BHPian

Have we discussed Greta van Fleet here? I was a huge skeptic when I heard that they were a Led Zeppelin soundalike band but a friend forced me to give them a chance. Am hooked.

Yes they are wannabe Zep, but the brothers (literally, except for the drummer) are doubtless talented. And tight. The lyrics are interesting and the music though grounded in simple bluesy rock and roll is extremely good. Downloaded the album over the weekend on Apple Music and listen to it whenever I can.
Old 26th February 2019, 22:38   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Have we discussed Greta van Fleet here? I was a huge skeptic when I heard that they were a Led Zeppelin soundalike band but a friend forced me to give them a chance. Am hooked.

Yes they are wannabe Zep, but the brothers (literally, except for the drummer) are doubtless talented. And tight. The lyrics are interesting and the music though grounded in simple bluesy rock and roll is extremely good. Downloaded the album over the weekend on Apple Music and listen to it whenever I can.
Haha yes I'd posted about them a few posts back. Yes, these guys are really talented. If they'd been just a cover band, I might not have been so interested. But they play their music really well. And man, you have to appreciate the vocals - that was what Plant sounded like! Yes, just simple lyrics and good old rock and roll. Can't wait to see them live.
Old 26th February 2019, 22:39   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Have we discussed Greta van Fleet here?

Yes they are wannabe Zep, but the brothers (literally, except for the drummer) are doubtless talented. And tight.
Yes, very promising band and true to the sounds of 70's kind of Hard Rock. I would say, in the age of noise and nasty music, this is a real sunshine.

Glad I have their complete collection including From the Fires & Anthem of the Peaceful Army albums. A very recommended band for all those who loves Hard Rock, especially it's an essential update for Zeppelin fans.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:41   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Naveen will kill me for this but not much of a fan of Zep. Sure the usual songs are favourites like stairway, immigrant, kashmir et all but i prefer sabbath and purple over Zep any day In that vein, Greta didn't really strike a chord but hey they are kids rocking and paying their tributes to one of the biggest arena bands of all time and there is nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of kids, have you guys checked out the O'Keefe Music Foundation?

Check this out then:

And theres plenty more. From Tool and GnR to Slayer and Slipknot. One of the few channels i subscribe to.

Just amazing stuff \m/
Old 27th February 2019, 11:08   #1229
BHPian

Since I've been Lovin' You, one of my very favorite songs of Led Zeppelin from their third album released in 1970. Jimmy Page guitars and Robert Plant vocals are simply magical. And yes, not to forget the thunderous drumming of John Bonham and sensible organ and bass playing of John Paul Jones. Simply a phenomenal Blues-Rock song. Enjoy and have a good day.

Old 28th February 2019, 07:44   #1230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But they play their music really well. And man, you have to appreciate the vocals - that was what Plant sounded like! Yes, just simple lyrics and good old rock and roll. Can't wait to see them live.
Quote:
Yes, very promising band and true to the sounds of 70's kind of Hard Rock. I would say, in the age of noise and nasty music, this is a real sunshine.
Very promising indeed! The play and the sound both are classic. Have been playing them on my device for some time now. Simply brilliant!

Have you guys listened to the polish band Riverside? If not try them. They follow and Rush and Dreamtheater for their sound and Floyd styled themes. Very very nice albums. Recently their guitarist expired and they released a press note that they are not replacing him and will continue to play as a trio and not a quartet.

And of course the other classic for me is Blind Guardian. Goes without saying I love the Tolkien tales!

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2019 at 07:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks