Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 06:44   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Heh heh, the life and travails of a metal head in India in the 80s and 90s would make for interesting reading.

And yeah, how can you not like Megadeth? Just kidding man, to each their own.

And be careful, naveeno does not care much for Metallica ever since they kicked out Mustaine.

I still don't know what to do with all the tapes. Maybe my son will grow up and ask and i will have stories to tell...
Old 14th December 2017, 07:01   #1157
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Not you Ampere, not you! Megadeth!
The fact that I dont listen much tells you that I actually did not know! Thanks for correcting me!

Quote:
No worries, you can spell Metallica however you want
Now That was typo! Metallica for me comes in once in while and that also a very selective set.

Quote:
Any of you guys remember Rock Street Journal? Are they still around?
I had a stack before I gave it away. And not to mention Habitat on Church street where I got my original Rush, Tull and Led-Zep imports.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2017 at 07:03.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:13   #1158
Senior - BHPian

I think i still have a megadeth poster that came with RSJ years back. The classic rust in peace lineup.

Good days.

Don't see them around these day. I guess the internet might have killed the mag.

Habitat used to be a nice place to hang around. I picked up the best of sabbath [2cds] from them.
Old 14th December 2017, 21:20   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Heh heh, the life and travails of a metal head in India in the 80s and 90s would make for interesting reading.

And yeah, how can you not like Megadeth? Just kidding man, to each their own.

And be careful, naveeno does not care much for Metallica ever since they kicked out Mustaine.

I still don't know what to do with all the tapes. Maybe my son will grow up and ask and i will have stories to tell...
Yeah I still have the tapes too! Some good tapes too - old Iron Maiden etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The fact that I dont listen much tells you that I actually did not know! Thanks for correcting me!
Haha, just kidding man.....

Oh yeah I love Megadeth! And the old Iron Maiden albums - Iron Maiden and Killers. My favourite Iron Maiden album is X Factor! Yeah Bruce Dickinson is an ok singer, nothing great!
Old 16th January 2018, 11:27   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42696376
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-678813444.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th January 2018 at 11:32.
Old 20th January 2018, 16:48   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
I think i still have a megadeth poster that came with RSJ years back. The classic rust in peace lineup.

Good days.

Don't see them around these day. I guess the internet might have killed the mag.

Habitat used to be a nice place to hang around. I picked up the best of sabbath [2cds] from them.

Oh boy I must be a dinosaur. My posters came from the mag called Sun. It was a pleasure to search around, trade posters. Nowadays it just is too damn easy. Also the search for lyric books was endless
Old 6th June 2018, 14:10   #1162
BHPian

Did anybody go to the Metallica concert in Bangalore (Oct 2011)?

The only time 'Tallica played in India (after that farce in New Delhi).

The hilarious part was TOI reporting a set-list from an old concert in Chicago that was nowhere close to the actual set-list.

With a lot of bands, the line between hard-rock and metal becomes extremely thin. Motorhead, for instance influenced Metallica and Megadeth but they are not considered as a pure metal band.

The 'Viking' metal scene in Scandinavia is worthy of being called metal. Although they don't quite subscribe to the Viking name (an Amon Amarth member once remarked 'I don't know why they call them Viking metal. I don't know if the Vikings played metal. Except for maybe swords' to great amusement)

Let us take it a step further. Any metal bands or members inside T-BHP?

P.S: I have not read through the whole thread. If there are similar questions earlier, please redirect.
Old 7th June 2018, 13:12   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Missed the metallica, megadeth, machinehead concerts but made it for all the maiden ones in bangalore.

Viking metal would be a loose term i guess. The fair genre would be melodic death metal i reckon. They are amazingly consistent. Amazing music \m/

Motorhead is another band which has been consistent in their music. Lemmy was a monstrous presence in the halls of metal/rock. He would be least bothered about what others would brand their music was i guess. He just drank Jack and kicked ass
Old 8th June 2018, 18:26   #1164
BHPian

The best concert I attended was Opeth back in 2012 at Palace Grounds, Bangalore. Not being as popular as mainstream bands like Megadeth/Metallica/Maiden helped with non-metalheads not to be seen. Mikael Akerfeldt was terrific that day.

The Scandinavian scene is dominated by folk metal bands. The diversity on offer there is unmatched. Last year when I toured the region, I attended two gigs. One in Stockholm by a local Swedish melo death band and another in Bergen by a Finnish folk metal band. Small auditoriums made for electric atmosphere. Ended up slightly dizzy with neck pain

Last edited by strawhat : 8th June 2018 at 18:43.
Old 25th June 2018, 06:33   #1165
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Support Music Corner: What We Listen To (& Play)

Legendary Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul died over the weekend, apparently of a heart attack

Along with his brother "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, he formed the heart of 90s thrash band Pantera, one of my favourite bands. Dimebag himself was shot by a crazed fan at an Ohio concert in 2004 (Man! Was it that long ago?)

I still remember the first time I watched Primal Concrete Sledge live in Russia on MTV's Headbanger's Ball hosted by Danny McGill. Hit me straight in the gut and I wanted more.

Watch Cemetery Gates and Domination, two of my favourite tracks of the band:

Last edited by noopster : 25th June 2018 at 06:35.
Old 25th June 2018, 10:43   #1166
Senior - BHPian

RIP. His drumming was a force to be reckoned with. At least he is now with his brother.

In other happier news, i am waiting for the new Powerwolf album to come out. Couple of official releases sounds like their songs of old. Can't complain
Old 28th June 2018, 07:22   #1167
BHPian

Quote:

Motorhead is another band which has been consistent in their music. Lemmy was a monstrous presence in the halls of metal/rock. He would be least bothered about what others would brand their music was i guess.
Lemmy was always a class apart, right from the way he dressed to the the inverted mic setup.

The documentary on his life, also called 'Lemmy' is awesome. Especially the part where he shows how normal bass guitarists setup their tune and how he does it!
Old 28th June 2018, 07:34   #1168
Senior - BHPian

In London, next week is Nirvana for music lovers.

Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Santana, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Van Morrison and a lot more performing live over 7 days.

Not often that you get such a mix coming together in just 7 days.
Old 28th June 2018, 13:11   #1169
BHPian

I attended 1 day of Graspop Metal Meeting 2018 here in Belgium, and it was amazing fun!
Got to see Seether, Vixen, Asking Alexandria, Skillet, Accept, Arch Enemy, Kreator, Rise Against, Megadeth, Bloodbath & Marilyn Manson playing live in the same order as typed.
Missed seeing some other bands that I really wanted to see, but they were playing on the other days of the festival.
Hoping to go for the full festival next year if possible

Cheers
Old 29th June 2018, 10:16   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Visited the "Pink Floyd - Their Mortal Remains" exhibition at the V&A museum, London. Everything about Pink Floyd - their equipment, how they managed to get the unique sounds, how they managed the special effects on stage to various anecdotes including how the guy on the cover of "Wish you were here" actually got burnt on one of the takes and walked out of the photo shoot but by which time they already something in the can and a lot more.

You were also allowed to mix / remix some of the songs and see how it went with your efforts.

A Pink Floyd fan would take at least 2 hours to go through the entire exhibition.

It ended with the last song ever recorded live by Pink Floyd - Comfortably numb @ Live 8 being played out in a very huge hall with the videos of the concert projected on the walls.

Pics of the original equipments used by Pink Floyd and displayed at the exhibition - Gilmour's various guitars, pedals, Mason's drum sets, original hand written lyrics of their songs - the pic is of Another brick on the wall, amps, etc:

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-1image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-1image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-2image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-3image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-4image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-5image.jpeg

For those into guitars - more details about the guitars shown:

From left to right:

1.Gilmour's Bill Lewis custom built guitar

2. Roger Waters' Fender Precision Bass Guitar used on Dark Side of the moon, Wish you were here and Animals

3.Gilmour's Fender Esquire "Workmate" guitar so nicknamed because of the worn look - used on "The Animals".

4. Roger Waters' Magnum 1 Ovation Guitar played on "The Wall"

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-6image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-7image.jpeg

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-8image.jpeg

Last edited by noopster : 3rd July 2018 at 05:07. Reason: Merged posts and aligned captions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks