Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 23:11   #4636
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

blackasta, with cats, around here, I am afraid that they end up being eaten. With pedigree dogs, I guess they have a value that can be realised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Mine being a lab was an advantage for the thieves. It is a favorite in and around my colony and had made many friends. I suspect one of them might have called him and pushed him in a car and transported else where.

My heart is still not able to digest that he isn't around hoping he will come back some day.

Miss you brownie, please come back wherever you are

last pic i took with him :(
Oh, this is so sad. I do hope you are reunited.
Old 1st February 2018, 06:36   #4637
BHPian

I think it is not reported here. Very gruesome to read the story. The blame definitely goes on the owner who kept the dogs unchained at night even though he knows that the dogs are Ferocious towards his parents. I sincerely request all our folks not to get these kind of pets if they don't know how to train and keep these dogs engaged. Although we all love our pets, safety of our family members should be considered first before getting these kind of pets.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62466470.cms
Old 5th February 2018, 19:55   #4638
BANNED

I found some of the above posts re. illness after eating chicken, disturbing. We had no idea chicken could lead to such complications.
We have been thinking of changing our pets' diet to chicken for a while (at present they are on fresh pork) but after going through the above posts we have change our minds & plan to stick with pork.
Old 5th February 2018, 20:57   #4639
Senior - BHPian

One of my cats (tom, 4 yrs) started having severe diarrhea since last week, and we gave it a couple of days thinking it would go away normally.
The normally ferocious guy became timid & dehydrated on Saturday, and we had to get the vet to see him.
The vet suspected a severe form of infectious diarrhea, and prescribed ceftriaxone injection (500 mg spread over 3 doses), vitazyne drops & econorm powder.
Couple of days and he is slowly recovering with the diarrhea controlled now.
Still dehydrated to some amount & not fully fit. Plus has front paw and eye injury.
Saving grace is that he is eating normally & also drinking some of the econorm solution water.
Have to keep him caged for a few days for full recovery.

Last edited by blackasta : 5th February 2018 at 20:59.
Old 5th February 2018, 22:25   #4640
Distinguished - BHPian

My cat is in love.

It is very noisy, as he is roaming around wailing all day and night. Our maid is furious with him, because he lets this woman cat take the food she gives him, and lets her lie on the mat we put for him outside, whilst he just stands and watches her.

So now we are only feeding him inside. As soon as he has eaten, instead of getting cosy somewhere, he is off out again. And the lady cat is meeowing to some inside. No! No vacancy! She is not homeless. We do not want another cat!
Old 6th February 2018, 10:10   #4641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My cat is in love.

It is very noisy, as he is roaming around wailing all day and night. Our maid is furious with him, because he lets this woman cat take the food she gives him, and lets her lie on the mat we put for him outside, whilst he just stands and watches her.
It is better to get your cat neutered. Neutering has lots of benefits - for you as well as for the cat.
1. A neutered cat makes less noise, no noise pollution (trust me as my neighbour's cats are on heat now), doesn't spray urine anywhere to mark his territory -- all benefits for cat owners.

2. Neutered cats have less chances of a cancer, fewer chances of violent attacks by fellow ardent lovers and they have longer lives compared with non-neutered cats.

I had a female cat which was splayed at a very early age and she lived to the ripe old age of 14 years. I had a male cat which was not neutered and he developed prostate cancer when he was about 6 years. He lived a painful life until he died of complications at the age of 10. The last 4 years was exceedingly painful for the cat as well as me.

He lived a bit longer - probably because he was a voyeur more than an active performer. Even then it took its toll. Every few months he would go missing only to come back after a couple of weeks - drained and looking gaunt and lean.

They say cats have 9 lives - but I believe one is too many.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:24   #4642
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is better to get your cat neutered. Neutering has lots of benefits - for you as well as for the cat.
For the owner, there are only pros. For the cat, there may be some pros, but overall, there are more cons.

If it were really advantageous for the object of the neutering/spaying, we would all be neutering/spaying our children.

And I am saying this as someone who adopted a kitten without knowing that I would have to neuter him & finally got him neutered because it was better for me. I have decided that I will never have a pet again solely because of this reason. I don't want to be involved in this spaying/neutering decision again in my life.

This whole neutering is better for the pet is a major rationalisation done by human beings & it shows cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by carboy : 6th February 2018 at 10:26.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:31   #4643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I found some of the above posts re. illness after eating chicken, disturbing. We had no idea chicken could lead to such complications.
We have been thinking of changing our pets' diet to chicken for a while (at present they are on fresh pork) but after going through the above posts we have change our minds & plan to stick with pork.
Don't feed them raw and you'll be good. There is no problem at all with cooked chicken.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:49   #4644
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Don't feed them raw and you'll be good. There is no problem at all with cooked chicken.
Thanks archat68 - yes of course, cooked chicken & not raw. Presently they are on pressure cooked pork - lean (de-fatted and boneless) - with veggies, chapatties, Drool's nuggets and home-made paneer. Yes, I know - I too have remarked to my wife (who is responsible for this canine smorgasbord) that in my next incarnation I hope to be born as a dog in our own household! Before this diet we were also cautioned against pork - to ensure that it was pressure cooked thoroughly.

We are fortunate that the supplier runs one of the largest & best known pork abattoirs in Lucknow & we have had no issues so far.

Here they are now :
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000911.jpg  

Last edited by shashanka : 6th February 2018 at 11:57.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:54   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is better to get your cat neutered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
For the owner, there are only pros. For the cat, there may be some pros, but overall, there are more cons.
This is a discussion that can continue on and on.

We have had cats in our house since forever, and had been silent spectator & mourner when the kittens of a litter were bagged & left on their own in far away fish markets (that is, the one's that lived past not being killed by adult toms, civet cats, and falls from third story terrace).

Lost quite a few queens at ages around 6-7 with birth related issues, and toms with ages from 2-7 with wound complications.

My parents & extended family never bothered with the deaths (except my mom perhaps), as there were always 2 cats to take the place of the one that passed away.

Once I had financial independence, I had both the queens spayed - so that the death & baggings would stop. The elder one is now 12, with (touch wood) zero health related issues. The younger (grandchild of the older one) is 3. Also, my logic is behind spaying that there is always a lot of cats which are feral and need homes, so we need not breed more but give the stray ones food & shelter.

The toms are not yet neutered, and the older one (about 4) marks a lot, and is a ferocious fighter with wounds that need tending to every other week. Perhaps it's time to get him neutered. The younger tom (about 3) is a lot more docile, and rarely gets into fights if ever.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:56   #4646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with freshly slaughtered chicken. In Delhi's INA market we used to get carcass which is fresh and we had been feeding our Lab on this carcass for over eight years. Recently due to logistics we just buy chicken from local shop. The Lab gets the upper carcass and we eat the leg side.

One problem with Pork is that it is dangerous if given raw as there may be parasites in it. Well cooked is safe, but so is cooked chicken.

In short get freshly slaughtered (or frozen from supermarkets) chicken and it is safe enough either raw or cooked.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:58   #4647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
lso, my logic is behind spaying that there is always a lot of cats which are feral and need homes, so we need not breed more but give the stray ones food & shelter.
That same logic can be applied to humans also.

Also, if it were just about controlling population - why not sterilize instead of neutering and spaying?

Last edited by carboy : 6th February 2018 at 12:06.
Old 6th February 2018, 12:16   #4648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That same logic can be applied to humans also.

Also, if it were just about controlling population - why not sterilize instead of neutering and spaying?
I believe the humans know when to stop, know to use contraceptives and don't give birth to 6-10 child per year who are then left to the elements with fear of being killed by natural predators.

I do not understand what you mean by 'why not sterilize instead of neutering and spaying?' - I guess they mean the same thing.

There are millions of cats and kittens that need homes and millions more that are abandoned. There simply aren’t enough homes for all the cats that get born every kitten season
Old 6th February 2018, 12:42   #4649
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My cat is in love.

So now we are only feeding him inside. As soon as he has eaten, instead of getting cosy somewhere, he is off out again. And the lady cat is meeowing to some inside. No! No vacancy! She is not homeless. We do not want another cat!
What an awful dilemma to be faced with, Thad! And your poor tom - neither of the ladies seems to have time for him. I'll be waiting patiently to hear the end of the story - but it better be as gripping as the one where the pike got your toe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There is nothing wrong with freshly slaughtered chicken. In Delhi's INA market we used to get carcass which is fresh and we had been feeding our Lab on this carcass for over eight years. Recently due to logistics we just buy chicken from local shop. The Lab gets the upper carcass and we eat the leg side.

One problem with Pork is that it is dangerous if given raw as there may be parasites in it. Well cooked is safe, but so is cooked chicken.

In short get freshly slaughtered (or frozen from supermarkets) chicken and it is safe enough either raw or cooked.

Thanks Aroy - I understand that once it has been cooked thoroughly, meat (poultry or red meat) are both safe for pets. As I mentioned to archat68 above, we plan to stick with pork for the time being. The supplier has so far proven to be reliable and cost-wise too it works out fine.

Last edited by shashanka : 6th February 2018 at 12:43.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:43   #4650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is better to get your cat neutered. Neutering has lots of benefits - for you as well as for the cat. ... ... ...
I agree. I'm afraid we left it too late.
Quote:
I really don't know. I agree that it is rationalising, but the fighting and the numbers of unwanted kittens point towards neutering.

There is nothing wrong with sterilising male humans. They should be lining up for it instead of sending their wives. For a guy it is barely invasive; for the ladies it is real surgery. But they just tie a knot, rather than chop our balls off, so I don't know if it is directly comparable.

Quote:
What an awful dilemma to be faced with, Thad! And your poor tom - neither of the ladies seems to have time for him. I'll be waiting patiently to hear the end of the story - but it better be as gripping as the one where the pike got your toe!
The pike actually got my hand!

We had a succession of wedding invites this morning, and the next door neighbour said to the cat, "Oh, you are here!" She is going to their house too. It seems that she is seriously hungry, so we fed her*. But not in the house.

Next-door lady thinks the cat is pregnant already.

*The cat, not the bringer of the wedding invitation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks