Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2017, 18:02   #4501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Anyone that feeds a stray dog should also make sure that it is vaccinated and sterilised. Else, all you are doing is feeding a menace to other humans that use that space.

I say this as a dog lover, that has kept at least two at home since 1996.

Ideally, it should be adopted as a pet but this can be too much for many, so where that isn't possible, doing this minimum is a civic obligation to others and a favour to the dog.

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th July 2017 at 18:11.
Old 10th July 2017, 07:36   #4502
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
One of the things I most adore about the Golden Retriever, is their soft nature. I bring home so many rescue animals and not once has my dog hurt any of them! Of course, he does get jealous, but the most he will do is avoid me. He never hurts the animals!
Attaching a few pictures for viewing pleasure!
These photos are real soul-food! I don't know how I missed them - how is the squirrel doing? I guess he must be well house-trained by now.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:31   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
One question on feeding stray dog.

Is it safe to feed Parle G or any such "glucose" biscuits to stray dog of approx 10 years old? I'm asking from digestion point of view. There is one quite old dog near our apartment and I want to feed him on daily/regular basis. I've already started feeding him normal glucose biscuits but don't know if that harms him especially due to his old age. I don't mind feeding him pedigree or any other ready made food.
Any suggestions please? Honestly it's not feasible to cook and feed regularly so pass on suggestions accordingly.

Thanks,
Pradip.
My Lab has a sweet tooth and laps up both Glucose and Marie biscuits. He also has a share in the weekly Prasad - Sandesh or Burfi that my wife gives out after Puja. He is twelve years old and sweets have made no difference to his health. So I guess biscuits are fine with dogs.
Old 10th July 2017, 19:14   #4504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My Best Golden Retriever Story...
I don't know, I may have been 8 or 9 at the time. My parents used to tow a caravan, and we'd find secluded fields, in preference to sites, where the farmer would let us stay a week or two.
Our golden retriever was probably a couple of years old. She came bowling up to me (not unusual, she would often bowl me over!) and dropped something on my foot. It was a small shrew, much smaller than a mouse.It ran up my trouser leg. They may be tiny, but those things are fierce.
Emergency stripping to the waist in a field!
Thad, that is one hair-raising story! My blood runs cold & I break into a sweat each time I think of the possibilities if the shrew had reached its logical destination up the trouser-leg!

Last edited by shashanka : 10th July 2017 at 19:16.
Old 10th July 2017, 20:14   #4505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
One question on feeding stray dog.

Is it safe to feed Parle G or any such "glucose" biscuits to stray dog of approx 10 years old? I'm asking from digestion point of view. There is one quite old dog near our apartment and I want to feed him on daily/regular basis. I've already started feeding him normal glucose biscuits but don't know if that harms him especially due to his old age. I don't mind feeding him pedigree or any other ready made food.
Any suggestions please? Honestly it's not feasible to cook and feed regularly so pass on suggestions accordingly.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Perfectly safe.
I have a few strays in my locality whom I feed Parle G & Pedigree twice a day - before I leave for office and once I return.
4 biscuits and a fistful of pedigree each time. I know that's not enough to sustain a fully grown dog, but they have other caregivers for their mid day rice meal.
Old 10th July 2017, 20:53   #4506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Thad, that is one hair-raising story! My blood runs cold & I break into a sweat each time I think of the possibilities if the shrew had reached its logical destination up the trouser-leg!

Telling the story at work, one day (You can guess I've dined out on this over the decades!) I said that it must have been an exciting day for the shrew. Colleague remarked, "You think a lot of yourself!"

Life with a golden retriever is never dull.

Now, let me tell you about the day that a pike bit me... ... ...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th July 2017 at 20:54.
Old 10th July 2017, 21:32   #4507
BANNED

Another one from the archives -
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20151202_103358.jpg  

Old 11th July 2017, 06:32   #4508
BANNED

Quote:

Telling the story at work, one day (You can guess I've dined out on this over the decades!) I said that it must have been an exciting day for the shrew. Colleague remarked, "You think a lot of yourself!"
Life with a golden retriever is never dull.
I'm definite the colleague knows you better than the shrew!
And now let me tell you about the time Badshah was chasing the piglet - with the mother sow, jaws gaping, about to close in on him & Badshah quite unaware of the catastrophe inches behind him.......
Old 11th July 2017, 07:56   #4509
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks,
I brought my two rescued kittens (now 1+ year old cats) along with me from the US. Brought some limited amount of food that they are used to which was consumed. Now they aren't eating the dry food brands available in Mumbai (Whiskas, Royal Canin, etc). Have tried them giving (boiled) chicken; that didn't work either. Any suggestions what to do?

Also the brands they like/ have eaten in the past - Wet Food (Fancy Feast), Dry food (Wellness). Any pointers for stores in Mumbai that have the above brands would be most welcome.

Also anyone who went through the above phase - if you can give suggestions on how to handle this situation, please do so.
Old 11th July 2017, 08:08   #4510
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Cats.

Have you tried fish? Sardines from a can? Cats love fish, I have seen.
Old 11th July 2017, 09:42   #4511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thad, I am waiting with bated breath....you can stretch the story a bit to make it more interesting. I never complain...
Old 11th July 2017, 12:21   #4512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Lol. Cats.

Have you tried fish? Sardines from a can? Cats love fish, I have seen.
Never as the primary source of food! Cats in the wild eat a variety of food and get all their nutrients therefore.

Ninja, try and find grain free food, like n&d to start with before you can find your regular source of wellness. N&d is available on amazon, and it reached me in perfect condition. Get the one that's amazon fulfilled.

Whiskas, royal et all are total crap, high amount of grain content.
Old 11th July 2017, 13:54   #4513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
... ... the mother sow, jaws gaping, about to close in on him & Badshah quite unaware of the catastrophe inches behind him.......
Ahhh! One does not mess with pigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thad, I am waiting with bated breath....you can stretch the story a bit to make it more interesting. I never complain...
Since you ask It's actually a simple story...

As some might know, pike are the "sharks" of British (European) fresh water. They can grow to well over a metre in length. The front end has a longish mouth very well equipped with teeth. They are a huge challenge to fisherman as they are intelligent and canny, but no fisherman wants to catch one by accident as they are fierce and dangerous. The guy at work who most enjoyed my pike tale was a keen fisherman: he didn't stop laughing for a week! He told me, "If you land a pike in a small boat, might be wise to jump out of the boat!"

I was walking in one of London's wonderful green spaces. The path passed around the end of the system of lakes and ponds. The surface of the water was covered in tiny green leaves. I spotted a tiny frog sitting on the leaves near the edge and wondered if it could be possible to put my hand under the water, beneath the leaves, and raise it gently enough to have the frog sitting on it. Somebody else must have noticed the frog and thought snack!

Of course, the frog jumped away, but as my hand came out of the water, it was inside, up to the palm, the mouth of a thankfully-small pike. We looked at each other in mutual astonishment, it spat me out and swam away.

So, it didn't really bite me. Could have been a bit serious if it had. It just left a couple of toothmarks and some scratches on my hand.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th July 2017 at 13:56.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:37   #4514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you ask It's actually a simple story...

of course, the frog jumped away, but as my hand came out of the water, it was inside, up to the palm, the mouth of a thankfully-small pike. We looked at each other in mutual astonishment, it spat me out and swam away.

So, it didn't really bite me. Could have been a bit serious if it had. It just left a couple of toothmarks and some scratches on my hand.
Thank you for sharing. That could be more than a little unnerving. For the less fishy (ie more canine or feline minded) a pike is an ugly mean looking fella....

I love dogs, would like to keep one at home but the queen cat I am married to won't let me! So I keep fish in an aquarium and one fish bowl
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pike.jpg  

Old 13th July 2017, 15:26   #4515
Distinguished - BHPian

True confession - I am a lurker on this thread especially the hilarious posts on dogs and cats. I love dogs but wont be allowed to keep one. So I settled for fish.

Introducing you to Guppy and Tuppy by two gold fish who live in a bowl. Guppy the bigger one is 4 years old and Tuppy the smaller about two and a half. The little children who visit our home love to hear anecdotes of what Guppy & Tuppy did since the kids' last visit. 50% of the water changed once or twice a week depending on my business travels and fed once in the morning. I have kept fish since 1973. Goldfish in a bowl since 2000. My wife won't allow me a second big aquarium at home hence the bowl as a compromise at the 4th Narayan vs Narayan Aquarium Limitation Summit.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20170713_144639.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks