Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 02:04   #4366
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A dog tilting his head while looking at you .. ?
OP was talking about rabbits, I think.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1803&aid=2371
Old 8th April 2017, 19:03   #4367
BHPian

Wow! How did I miss this thread! This is where I belong, people with a passion for Animals and Cars!

Posting a picture of my dog, Caesar:
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-13769570_1368712859810634_1264502166877855334_n.jpg  

Old 8th April 2017, 21:10   #4368
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Wow! How did I miss this thread! This is where I belong, people with a passion for Animals and Cars!

How old is this lovely retriever?
Old 9th April 2017, 00:45   #4369
BHPian

Hi Shankar, he is five years old!
Old 9th April 2017, 08:02   #4370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two friends, so happy with each other ! Would love to meet Caesar sometime
Old 9th April 2017, 15:27   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Two friends, so happy with each other ! Would love to meet Caesar sometime
Do let me know if you are in Chennai! I'll get him to meet you, he would love it!
Old 10th April 2017, 01:29   #4372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whilst I am firmly in the dogs-are-meat-eaters camp, they do seem to require veg/cereal content in their food too.
The trick is in maintaining a balance, for sure every vegetarian is entitled to have a dog companion at home and a more rewarding, mutually enriching friendship I cannot think of.

Many simple things can be given to dogs in veggie households, hard boiled eggs for one, and we have a great American company called Mars which make just about any size/shape of protein aka meat based products for dogs without the raw smell and colour that we as veggies dislike. I do understand that dogs need a natural diet as much as possible but there is no harm in mixing these products up a few times a week. Its impossible to optimize a canine diet 100%, heck we humans ourselves are loading our stomachs with unhealthy carbohydrates, sugars and oils each day, I guess our friends are better off in that way.

Products of Mars :
Regular food - Pedigree, Whiskas (cat food)
Premium food - Royal Canin, Eukaneuba
Treats - Jerkys, Jumbones (synthetic soft bone)
Teeth health products - chewable

This from a company that makes candy (Wrigleys, Mars bars, Snickers, Twix etc.), of all the food companies on earth this has to be right on top and their portfolio is downright scary. They help people who cannot cook meat to provide the same to their pets, and that is a great help.
Old 10th April 2017, 01:46   #4373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
every vegetarian is entitled to have a dog companion at home
But entitled to force it on their carnivorous friends? As I made clear, I think not.

But whether fake-meat soya products are actually dietary replacements or not; that, I confess, I do not know.
Old 10th April 2017, 02:09   #4374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But whether fake-meat soya products are actually dietary replacements or not; that, I confess, I do not know.
That's exactly what I've stated above, the easily available meat-based products from Mars that can be bought off the shelf and fed to complete their diet. Soy may give them protein but dogs need a taste of real meat to feel in touch with their basic instincts and preferences. Boiled egg once a day will do the trick too.
Old 13th April 2017, 21:34   #4375
BHPian

When you are in a car, you try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. An armrest can be a pillow if the need arises!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1492099377850.jpg  

Old 24th April 2017, 10:42   #4376
BHPian

Our little fellow is now 5 months old, sharing some snippets of him from 3 month - 5 months.

We are continuing to invest sometime everyday, he does pick up things very quick. Sharing a few videos on his basic obedience and other skills.

We took him for a swim as well to beat some heat and he loved it :-)

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 28th April 2017, 17:08   #4377
BHPian

Hello All! I will be traveling from Chennai to Vaniyambadi/Ambur on the 30th of April along with my 5 year old Golden Retriever. Any advice/ precautions to be taken for him? He isn't used to long drives, but does love to be in the car. I will be taking plenty of water, and I will be taking his cooling mat that will keep him cool and he will be in the AC most of the time! The distance covered will be 200 kms in one direction. Please do let me know if I should take care of anything else! Thanks!
Old 28th April 2017, 19:26   #4378
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hi Shankar, he is five years old!
He is such a darling. I just LOVE Dogs! Cant live without them.
Sadly, my two elderly ones are ageing frighteningly fast.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:11   #4379
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All! I will be traveling from Chennai to Vaniyambadi/Ambur on the 30th of April along with my 5 year old Golden Retriever. Any advice/ precautions to be taken for him? He isn't used to long drives, but does love to be in the car. I will be taking plenty of water, and I will be taking his cooling mat that will keep him cool and he will be in the AC most of the time! The distance covered will be 200 kms in one direction. Please do let me know if I should take care of anything else! Thanks!
I just got back from 1300 kms trip to Ooty with my lab. Places other than ooty are really hot and your destination is already hitting some high temperatures. I would suggest the following to ensure that your pet is comfortable:

- Keep the AC running, always. Ensure that the cabin doesn't get hot.
- Feed water at regular intervals, say once every 30-45 minutes. This will be necessary if your dog is the hyper type as they will exert too much during the drive.
- Don't feed them food immediately before the start of the drive. Let them get used to the movements of the car initially and you can feed them either after a while or after the drive, if its a short one.
- Feed them a little less than the usual. I gave half of what she is usually used to and instead, kept her replenished with fluids such as juices.
- Take minimum number of breaks so that you reach your destination quickly, and thus, escape the heat. We took a break once every 2 hours.
- Park under a shade and ensure they don't go out on to the sun during their breaks. My pet became a ballerina for 10-15 seconds before we realized that the ground is hot
- As far as safety is concerned, get a pet seat belt and hook it on to the collar or the body belt. A body belt is preferable as its comfortable and is safe.
- We tied a blanket on to the front seats so that a partition is created between the front seat and the rear one. This is to ensure that that don't fall forward during instances of sudden/emergency breaking.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip with your pet and PM me if you need anything specific.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:32   #4380
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I have female black labrador.
Cleo is going to turn 8 in August! Still very active, went on a road trip to Jaipur recently too and ran around like an energetic puppy.

Two things on which I wanted views on :-

1) I have heard from some people that when your dog is 7-8 years old it's a good time get kidney/ renal checkup done as a precaution. Is it required and how does one go about it? ( She neutered at 1.5 years if it matters)

2) Her paws get pretty dry and slightly cracked very frequently, I'm having to put Vaseline/ Boroline on them at least once in three weeks. This never happened till she was 7 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20170122wa0023.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks