Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2017, 10:31   #4351
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Streee, am sorry couldn't figure which one was the german shepherd at first glance

What a beauty she is. I always wonder how people with long coat dogs deal with the summer heat...which is getting worse by the day.

The other time, I saw someone walking a husky in Bangalore. A husky!

Shankar Balan who lurks around here with a pride of german's will be of best help. I've read about him doing a bit of travel with his pups.

All the best man, and congrats on the XUV.
Thanks Venky!!! During daytime she hang around inside home and sleeps on the floor with fan on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sreeraj

Young Shepherd pups/ dogs have big open ears. The car movement at speed tends to upset their sense of balance and hence they don't like it too much unless you slowly get them used to it by taking frequent rides and making sure someone sits with them and reassures them on the journey.
Frequent stops are also necessary so that they can put their feet on terra firma and go about their bio business etc.
Do not feed the dog or give her water just before the journey. At least 1.5-2 hours before the journey is when they should be fed and watered, else they may throw up.
Also, during the journey a very light feed and light watering is more than enough.
Remember also the boot of the XUV tends to undergo different swaying motions when the car is at speed. Hence, ideally, put the back seats down. Spread a big rug or sheet with some yoga mats below, and let her lie down in the back - always with someone there.

It is a great idea to keep the windows open and drive slowly - not at 100 kms per hour or similar because that kind of speed upsets Shepherds because of the sensation of moving at speed without being able to control it.

My old Alsatian who has now passed on, used to sit happily after a lot of training by way of car rides right from when he was a 2 month old baby at which time he used to sit on my attendant's lap in the back seat.
My Lab couldn't care less, she just curls up in the car without a problem.
My old Weimaraner used to do likewise.
My present Alsatian is also quite old (11 years) and she associates the car with the Vet so doesn't like it much.
Thanks a ton for the valuable tips Shankar. I will drive her around before doing the trip next weekend.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:51   #4352
Senior - BHPian

My Lab loves car drives, and initially has hid head poking out of the window/ After ten minutes or so, he retract the head and either sits or lies down on the seat.

Most dogs love to poke their head out of the window, so it is best to drive at a sedate speed (say 60-80 km/h).
Old 2nd April 2017, 01:30   #4353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
We are looking forward to adopt neighbor dog(they had litter from their farm) which is around 3 months old and it is cross of Alsatian and lab. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'd like to add a few things towards the answers you were expecting, as also to anyone else with the same doubt.

Its my firm belief that dogs, all kinds, aren't vegetarian.. to raise them as such would mean that they are missing something important. This isn't just my opinion but also of my friend who has been raising dogs since she's been a kid and like myself she's a vegetarian too. You see, dogs do not have the ability to digest simple/complex sugars AT ALL, and too much carbohydrates (rice) also isn't suitable for them. I perfectly understand the hesitance/fear of a vegetarian in feeding them "non-vegetarian" food, but here are a few options you can try twice or thrice a week :

1) Boiled egg - it hardly smells, can be mashed down and dogs love it. Need to give them full boiled egg (white+yolk), though.
2) Pedigree small gravy pouch - you need to get used to the smell slightly, but simply cut the pouch and pour over bread/rice and you got a meal. It has chicken content.
3) Pedigree/Science Plan/Royal Canin food - Get a 3/4 kg bag, wear gloves and feed this off and on, maybe 2-3 times a week, the first one is affordable, the other two aren't but are well worth the price. Its largely without smell and the dog might love it.

If you do wish to give any of the above, start with a trial pack/smallest size and see how the pet enjoys it/feels after eating it, food is a major part of their life and good food keeps them happy. Start in small doses and you can adjust to their needs. If absolutely no "meat" content food is acceptable inside the home then well, I guess that's that. Curds can be given regularly, and bananas and watermelons slices in moderation once a bluemoon (not often as they contain simple sugars), all dogs enjoy, specially in summer. As always do Google to confirm anything and everything, its the best hand-guide to raising a dog.

All the best.
Old 2nd April 2017, 10:03   #4354
BANNED

Kibble (dry commercial food) & Vegetarian food are almost guaranteed ways to get your pet diabetic when he grows old.

This is about cat's diet - http://catinfo.org/

Dogs can probably eat little more vegetarian food & kibble, but not much more.
Old 2nd April 2017, 10:47   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'd like to add a few things towards the answers you were expecting, as also to anyone else with the same doubt.

Its my firm belief that dogs, all kinds, aren't vegetarian.. to raise them as such would mean that they are missing something important. This isn't just my opinion but also of my friend who has been raising dogs since she's been a kid and like myself she's a vegetarian too. You see, dogs do not have the ability to digest simple/complex sugars AT ALL, and too much carbohydrates (rice) also isn't suitable for them. I perfectly understand the hesitance/fear of a vegetarian in feeding them "non-vegetarian" food, but here are a few options you can try twice or thrice a week :

1) Boiled egg - it hardly smells, can be mashed down and dogs love it. Need to give them full boiled egg (white+yolk), though.
2) Pedigree small gravy pouch - you need to get used to the smell slightly, but simply cut the pouch and pour over bread/rice and you got a meal. It has chicken content.
3) Pedigree/Science Plan/Royal Canin food - Get a 3/4 kg bag, wear gloves and feed this off and on, maybe 2-3 times a week, the first one is affordable, the other two aren't but are well worth the price. Its largely without smell and the dog might love it.

If you do wish to give any of the above, start with a trial pack/smallest size and see how the pet enjoys it/feels after eating it, food is a major part of their life and good food keeps them happy. Start in small doses and you can adjust to their needs. If absolutely no "meat" content food is acceptable inside the home then well, I guess that's that. Curds can be given regularly, and bananas and watermelons slices in moderation once a bluemoon (not often as they contain simple sugars), all dogs enjoy, specially in summer. As always do Google to confirm anything and everything, its the best hand-guide to raising a dog.

All the best.
Agree. My MIL didnt agree to the logic that you outline above (which my BIL was saying as well) only to have the first Alsatian pup fall ill. Thus, in a household where no garlic / onion has ever been used, eggs are regularly boiled and pedigree food is given to the dogs. I've even seen a dried chicken heart as part of the pedigree food. My MIL handles all of this with much distaste but only out of respect for the dogs' health. Frankly, if someone as devout as her can change, anyone can.

If absolutely no meat content is acceptable, then I'd say giving the pets up for adoption is the only humane thing, than ruining their health for one's religious beliefs. Why make their life miserable?

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd April 2017 at 10:49.
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:19   #4356
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst I appreciate that street dogs eat anything, I'll agree to vegetarian dogs when I see one choosing such a diet for itself in the wild (even the urban wild).
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman
My MIL handles all of this with much distaste but only out of respect for the dogs' health. Frankly, if someone as devout as her can change, anyone can.
Yep. I know tambram-veggie households where meat is prepared and cooked for meat-eating creatures.

And please, people, do not bury me in my dog has been eating carrots for ten years posts. No doubt it has, No doubt it is possible. But it is not healthy or natural.

Want a veggie pet? Get a rabbit. Seriously: they are intelligent, friendly creatures and make good companions.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:46   #4357
Senior - BHPian

For those who have queries about home cooked food for Dogs, I have taken a step-by-step pictures of the food we prepare for our Lab. The food is cooked in a 12L pressure cooker and divided into 16 portions - eight days at two a day.

Vegetables are chopped as fine as possible so that they take less space and cook fast. Garlic and turmeric are both good for stomach and contains ticks and mite infestation.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0055.jpg
Cauliflower stems

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0057.jpg
Pumpkin

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0059.jpg
Cabbage

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0060.jpg
Cabbage chopped

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0062.jpg
Bottle Gourd

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0063.jpg
Bottle Gourd chopped

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0065.jpg
Parboiled Rice - 5 cups, around 1.25kg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0068.jpg
Masoor Dal - 1 cup (corelle 117ml)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0070.jpg
Garlic - 2 cloves

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0072.jpg
All vegetarian components in the pressure cooker. Add 2 TBS Turmeric Powder

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0076.jpg
Mutton and Chicken waste pieces

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0077.jpg
Cooker with all components. Fill water to the top of the pile. I keep the non vegetarian pieces on the top (and not mix them), so that I can collect them after cooking and distribute the pieces evenly in the containers.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0107.jpg
Post cooking. It takes about 1 hour for the cooker to blow its first whistle. Switch the heat off one minute after the first whistle. Leve it for an hour. That will not only cool the cooker, but also finish cooking with no additional heat

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0109.jpg
I arrange the containers and collect all the meat pieces in two of them

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0110.jpg
Distribute all the meat pieces evenly.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lsc_0111.jpg
Fill all the sixteen containers

NOTE
1. Pressure Cooker = 12L Hawkins
2. Plate = Corelle 10 inches diameter
3. Cup = Corelle 117ml (4 oz)
4. Containers = standard containers which come with take away Chinese Food.
5. The food lasts 8 days including the day it is cooked. We store the containers in the bottom shelf of our refrigerator.
6. For purely Vegetarian version, just substitute Soybean instead of the Mutton/Chicken pieces.
7. Normally we use seasonal vegetables, as well as those portions that are normally not used - Cauliflower stems, Raddish leaves Carrot peels and ends etc. You can use any vegetable that is available though it is better yo avoid bitter and sticky ones.

Last edited by Aroy : 4th April 2017 at 12:48.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 13:21   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For those who have queries about home cooked food for Dogs, I have taken a step-by-step pictures of the food we prepare for our Lab. The food is cooked in a 12L pressure cooker and divided into 16 portions - eight days at two a day.
Hi Aroy! Very nicely explained. I don't know if this is the recommended way of cooking food for dogs, but my dad used to follow the exact same procedure for our German Shepard. The only difference being that given he would get the food cooked daily. I attributed the good health and long life of our dog to this diet.

Our dog passed away in 2013, he was almost 15 years old. Regrettably, I don't have the same passion for pets or their upkeep and haven't kept one since.

Last edited by rrsteer : 4th April 2017 at 13:24.
Old 4th April 2017, 14:19   #4359
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst I am firmly in the dogs-are-meat-eaters camp, they do seem to require veg/cereal content in their food too.

And I do wish people would take more interest in rabbits. It really is true that they are companionable and intelligent!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th April 2017 at 14:21.
Old 4th April 2017, 18:47   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Garlic and turmeric are both good for stomach and contains ticks and mite infestation.
I have been using turmeric as it helps in figting off infections, for humans atleast, but isnt Garlic kind of unsafe for dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And I do wish people would take more interest in rabbits. It really is true that they are companionable and intelligent!
But the heart goes crazy with that head-tilt, doesn't it?
Old 5th April 2017, 12:51   #4361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
I have been using turmeric as it helps in figting off infections, for humans atleast, but isnt Garlic kind of unsafe for dogs?
Not at all in the dosage we give. Our Lab is hale and hearty at twelve years old and has minimal tick infestation.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...n-or-medicine/
http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/t...gs-and-garlic/
http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html
Old 5th April 2017, 13:18   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all in the dosage we give. Our Lab is hale and hearty at twelve years old and has minimal tick infestation.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...n-or-medicine/
http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/t...gs-and-garlic/
http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html
Ha, thanks for those articles. so, the key here is to keep the amount to minimum so that the benefits outweigh the risks. Makes sense. I will research more on this and try to convince my wife.
Old 5th April 2017, 21:18   #4363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
But the heart goes crazy with that head-tilt, doesn't it?
I thought that's an ailment.
Old 5th April 2017, 23:30   #4364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I thought that's an ailment.
A dog tilting his head while looking at you .. ?
Old 5th April 2017, 23:35   #4365
Distinguished - BHPian

I have lost track since the rabbits!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks