Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2017, 18:53   #4336
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I use drontal plus for deworming my dog. but he is a very picky eater. I tried cheese, chicken liver, paneer but it is always a huge task.
As I have to give 2 tablets, I make small piece of the tablet, wrap it in small piece of cheese slice but at the end he eats only the cheese and separates the tablet inside it.
Is there any dewormer which is tasty?
Old 12th March 2017, 19:25   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I use drontal plus for deworming my dog. but he is a very picky eater. I tried cheese, chicken liver, paneer but it is always a huge task.
As I have to give 2 tablets, I make small piece of the tablet, wrap it in small piece of cheese slice but at the end he eats only the cheese and separates the tablet inside it.
Does he like banana? I embed the tablet into a piece of banana and my dog swallows the Banana piece.
Old 12th March 2017, 19:38   #4338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use drontal plus for deworming my dog. but he is a very picky eater.
Have you tried the Drontal Plus Suspension - can easily mix it with milk or something which he likes to drink

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 12th March 2017, 19:50   #4339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Does he like banana? I embed the tablet into a piece of banana and my dog swallows the Banana piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Have you tried the Drontal Plus Suspension - can easily mix it with milk or something which he likes to drink

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
I haven't tried both. I'll try and inform you about the result.
Old 13th March 2017, 21:11   #4340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I use drontal plus for deworming my dog. but he is a very picky eater. I tried cheese, chicken liver, paneer but it is always a huge task....
When I wanted to give my dachshunds some of the tablets, I used to put it in their mouth and close it for a couple of seconds for them to swallow it. And I also used to give them some milk immediately. Never had a problem with it.
Old 14th March 2017, 00:41   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think it's the proximity of you with your kid that gave the confidence to the dog. Happy to read it, probably you should let your kid pet the dog too, dogs trust the kids a lot more I believe.
I agree, probably seeing my kid, the dog approached, My kid is just still 7 months old, she does get excited when shes see's the dog, will let her pet dogs once she is a bit older.
Old 26th March 2017, 09:23   #4342
BANNED

My kitten is around 5-6 months old. I am planning to get him neutered.

I checked with a few vets & I really see that what Indian vets say is totally different from what seems to be the norm internationally.

- Abroad they say that you should neuter your kitten when he is 4-6 months old. They say you should not wait more than that. All the vets I have visited here say I should wait till they are 8-9 months. They feel that the kitten is not old enough to handle the anesthesia till then. Do vets here use different anesthesia as compared to what is used abroad?

- Fasting before the surgery. All international sites say fasting before surgery should never ever be more than 3-5 hours. Otherwise, it will lead to hypoglycemia. But the vets here says 8 hours.

Why are these things different? What is the right thing to do?
Old 28th March 2017, 11:17   #4343
BHPian

All,
I read good number of post on thee home cooked dog food. Almost evey one has pointed adding chicken/meat. Since we are pure veg family, what is the alternate for the chicken/meat we can supplement?
Also, many in this forum says they cook rice based food for 3-4 days (hopefully keeping it in fridge) and feed. Is it ok to do this. I know fresh hot food is not that dog would look forward but just to check they won't reject 3 days old cooked food.

We are looking forward to adopt neighbor dog(they had litter from their farm) which is around 3 months old and it is cross of Alsatian and lab.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:59   #4344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
All,
I read good number of post on thee home cooked dog food. Almost evey one has pointed adding chicken/meat. Since we are pure veg family, what is the alternate for the chicken/meat we can supplement?
Also, many in this forum says they cook rice based food for 3-4 days (hopefully keeping it in fridge) and feed. Is it ok to do this. I know fresh hot food is not that dog would look forward but just to check they won't reject 3 days old cooked food.

We are looking forward to adopt neighbor dog(they had litter from their farm) which is around 3 months old and it is cross of Alsatian and lab.
There is veg 'pedigree' dog food available with all added nutrients.
Suggest you feed that to your dog.
Dogs and cats need some essential amino acids which is impossible to derive from home cooked veg food.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00LSWUIRO/r...WXRVBK6R58X4HM

http://www.amazon.in/Pedigree-Adult-.../dp/B00LHS8SHG
Old 28th March 2017, 13:13   #4345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
All,

We cook food for the dog at home and at present the batch is good enough for 8 days.

Though dogs would benefit from non vegetarian food, you can add soybean to the mix. We add Masoor Dal apart from chicken carcass to the mix. A word of caution, do not increase the quantity just because it is vegetarian. Large amount of carbohydrate will just bloat up the dog and increase bulk. That will result in weak leg muscle leading to problem as the dog grows old.

My mix is
. 1.2kg parboiled rice (5 cups)
. 1-2 kg vegetables, mostly seasonal, chopped fine
. 1/2 kg chopped chicken carcass
. Masoor dal - 1 small cup
. Garlic - 1 to 2 bulbs
. Turmeric - 2 TBS
That is divided into 16 portions, one portion twice a day = 8 days.

Substitute 1 cup of soybeans for chicken carcass.

Last edited by Aroy : 28th March 2017 at 13:15.
Old 28th March 2017, 20:53   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We cook food for the dog at home and at present the batch is good enough for 8 days.
My mix is
=======
That is divided into 16 portions, one portion twice a day = 8 days.

Substitute 1 cup of soybeans for chicken carcass.
Thanks. Will follow the same.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2017 at 19:02. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 31st March 2017, 18:07   #4347
BHPian

Our 6 month old Belgian Shepherd. We got her when she was two months old. Very intelligent and quick learner, and she loves to run around with my girls. We named her Ammu Kutti, a traditional mallu name .

Planning to take her along to Bangalore for summer vacation. I am worried as she doesn't enjoy car rides. Need some guidance on travelling with dog. I have a XUV 500 and entire boot is for her.

~Sreeraj~
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-ammukkutti.jpg  

Old 31st March 2017, 19:05   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
Don't bother with all that. The method that works is to open the dog's mouth painting upwards, push the pill in the dog's mouth with your fingers, close the mouth and massage the base of the throat. Once the dog has swallowed the pill, she will lick her nose. Here's a video that illustrates this. Just go to the 1.20 minute mark

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 31st March 2017 at 19:07.
Old 31st March 2017, 21:54   #4349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Our 6 month old Belgian Shepherd.

~Sreeraj~
Streee, am sorry couldn't figure which one was the german shepherd at first glance

What a beauty she is. I always wonder how people with long coat dogs deal with the summer heat...which is getting worse by the day.

The other time, I saw someone walking a husky in Bangalore. A husky!

Shankar Balan who lurks around here with a pride of german's will be of best help. I've read about him doing a bit of travel with his pups.

All the best man, and congrats on the XUV.
Old 1st April 2017, 06:02   #4350
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Our 6 month old Belgian Shepherd. We got her when she was two months old. Very intelligent and quick learner, and she loves to run around with my girls. We named her Ammu Kutti, a traditional mallu name .

Planning to take her along to Bangalore for summer vacation. I am worried as she doesn't enjoy car rides. Need some guidance on travelling with dog. I have a XUV 500 and entire boot is for her.

~Sreeraj~
Sreeraj

Young Shepherd pups/ dogs have big open ears. The car movement at speed tends to upset their sense of balance and hence they don't like it too much unless you slowly get them used to it by taking frequent rides and making sure someone sits with them and reassures them on the journey.
Frequent stops are also necessary so that they can put their feet on terra firma and go about their bio business etc.
Do not feed the dog or give her water just before the journey. At least 1.5-2 hours before the journey is when they should be fed and watered, else they may throw up.
Also, during the journey a very light feed and light watering is more than enough.
Remember also the boot of the XUV tends to undergo different swaying motions when the car is at speed. Hence, ideally, put the back seats down. Spread a big rug or sheet with some yoga mats below, and let her lie down in the back - always with someone there.

It is a great idea to keep the windows open and drive slowly - not at 100 kms per hour or similar because that kind of speed upsets Shepherds because of the sensation of moving at speed without being able to control it.

My old Alsatian who has now passed on, used to sit happily after a lot of training by way of car rides right from when he was a 2 month old baby at which time he used to sit on my attendant's lap in the back seat.
My Lab couldn't care less, she just curls up in the car without a problem.
My old Weimaraner used to do likewise.
My present Alsatian is also quite old (11 years) and she associates the car with the Vet so doesn't like it much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks