Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:05   #4321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Tobo is Eight months old now. Weighs 22kgs. I feed him mix of 300gm chicken/300gm vegetables/300gm rice in three portions. Plus multi vitamin tabs and furglow. Daily he has house to his disposal and gets a good running for about 30minutes outdoors. Wifey thinks he is skinny and needs more food. Any suggestions?
He looks very much fit to me. Please avoid over-feeding him and making him put weight. Large breeds are very much prone to have hip and other joint diseases and additional weight just accentuates that. Your dog looks very much fit to me.
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:32   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Tobo is Eight months old now. Weighs 22kgs. Wifey thinks he is skinny and needs more food. Any suggestions? Also vet said he is too tall for his age!
Attachment 1611314
Here you go

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/feedi...abrador-puppy/

The chart covers up to 6 months, but I am guessing for a 8 month pup you should feed him about 600 gms a day broken into 2 meals.
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:34   #4323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Here you go

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/feedi...abrador-puppy/

The chart covers up to 6 months, but I am guessing for a 8 month pup you should feed him about 600 gms a day broken into 2 meals.
Your Lab is healthy enough, so avoid over feeding and making him flabby.

We have been giving our 11.5 years lab the following mix; portioned out in 16 meals - two a day; since he was 6 months old.
. Parboiled rice - 1.2kg
. Vegetables - 1 to 1.5 kg
. Chicken carcass - 1kg
. Dal - 200g
. Turmeric - 1 TBS
. Garlic - 1 pod

This is boiled in a 12L pressure cooker. Apart from this he takes 1/2 cup milk twice a day along with a few biscuits.

Just note that large breeds are prone to overeating which results in hip problems at a later stage. Our Lab once consumed three portions (each one of though he had not had his lunch!) without batting an eyelid. So beware of feeding labs till they are satisfied.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-05122005-001.jpg
At 6 months

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ksc_6177.jpg
now
Old 26th February 2017, 20:29   #4324
BHPian

Quote:
Wifey thinks he is skinny and needs more food. Any suggestions? Also vet said he is too tall for his age!
Attachment 1611314
Funny thing about Labs is that tend to gobble up whatever you give them. They have a HUGE appetite. Your furry kid looks just fine in fact great if you ask me. Never ever try to over feed them. If they put on weight they're prone to Hip related problems in their old age. And kudos to you running about 30mins everyday is
Old 26th February 2017, 20:54   #4325
Distinguished - BHPian

It is necessary to give them what they need, rather than what they want. What they want is like a bottomless pit!

They are probably better at that I haven't eaten for a week, I'm starving look than any other dog!
Old 10th March 2017, 12:34   #4326
Distinguished - BHPian

Friend is looking for a Beagle pup in/ around Bangalore. Please let me know if any leads.

TIA !
Old 10th March 2017, 13:07   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
A street dog near my house has developed aural hematoma.
Update - I had a discussion with the vet who told me to monitor the dog for a while, stating that it is best if aural hematoma subsides on its own, else he can come and do a incision and drain the blood.

Luckily, the swelling has subsided since then, though her ear had become crinkled and wavy in appearance.
She is otherwise fit, and is happily taking food and chasing speeding motorcycles !
Old 10th March 2017, 18:44   #4328
BHPian

Please let me know if anyone is looking for Golden Retriever pups (presently 1 month old).

Thanks.
Old 10th March 2017, 20:46   #4329
BHPian

4 years ago, I moved into a new locality in Bangalore, as dog lover, I make it a point to befriend all the dogs nearby.

There was this particular dog, which was very skittish and never approached me, the dog is of some cross breed, probably a St bernard, abandoned and clearly abused, though used to wag it's tail and run to greet me, but from a distance.

I had tried to pet it once, however it tried to nip me. I maintained my distance, however still greeting the dog and feeding it biscuits.

Recently, I was taking my daughter for a stroll and the dog came to greet me, I let the dog greet me and my daughter from a distance and today for some reason it came closer than it has ever come, touched my palm with it's head and I cautiously with a finger scratched it's head and the dog went away.

I do not know why, but it made me very happy.
Old 10th March 2017, 21:10   #4330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
...Recently, I was taking my daughter for a stroll and the dog came to greet me, I let the dog greet me and my daughter from a distance and today for some reason it came closer than it has ever come, touched my palm with it's head....
I think it's the proximity of you with your kid that gave the confidence to the dog. Happy to read it, probably you should let your kid pet the dog too, dogs trust the kids a lot more I believe.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:48   #4331
BHPian

Can anybody guide me to a NGO in Hyderabad. I have a one year stray dog in my colony badly bitten by a pig. Blue cross ignoring my pleas. The government vet hospital isn't of much help.
I will be grateful if anybody can help me treat this dog.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:48   #4332
BHPian

My two five month old kittens suddenly developed some issue today morning. Both of them have their head tilted completely down oriented towards the right and are acting dizzy. Today being a sunday the vet is also not in town and he asked to give wysolone tablet to the kittens. Anyone has any idea as to what the issue could be ?
Old 12th March 2017, 11:17   #4333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
My two five month old kittens suddenly developed some issue today morning. Both of them have their head tilted completely down oriented towards the right and are acting dizzy. Today being a sunday the vet is also not in town and he asked to give wysolone tablet to the kittens. Anyone has any idea as to what the issue could be ?
I just looked online and it could be feline vestibular syndrome. Please look up google and see if the symptoms match up.

I would recommend reaching out to a vet who is open today on an emergency basis.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:52   #4334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I just looked online and it could be feline vestibular syndrome. Please look up google and see if the symptoms match up.

I would recommend reaching out to a vet who is open today on an emergency basis.
Even i had googled and the symptoms do match up to some extent. The only shocker and doubt if it could be vestibular syndrome is how both the kittens could be affected together all of a sudden. They play and do all other tasks normally as of now. Only thing is their head is tilted down. I guess it is an inflammation and the steroids are helping out for now.
Old 12th March 2017, 18:16   #4335
Distinguished - BHPian

A stab in the dark... but it could be an ear problem. Mites would be easy to fix, an inner-ear infection much harder. Agree to see the vet ASAP!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks