Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 15:25   #4186
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I shudder to think what kind of doctors those two idiots will make, and pity people who'll trust them with their health and possibly their lives. Doctors are sworn upholders of the sanctity of life above all else, these two don't deserve the title.
Old 7th July 2016, 17:53   #4187
Senior - BHPian

You just took the words out of my mouth Chetan ! And regarding the dog still wagging it's tail and reposing its faith in mankind - that's exactly why they say that a dog is a man's best friend and it's love for it's human is almost unparalleled !
Old 7th July 2016, 18:37   #4188
BHPian

Luckily the poor dog only suffered a fractured rear leg and is doing fine. However the punishment those idiots got is way to less for putting a life in danger. Probably this is why these days I see many strays shying off humans.
Old 7th July 2016, 19:38   #4189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
... Probably this is why these days I see many strays shying off humans.
Raise your hand near a stray and watch it shy away. They are willing to be friendly, but have. long since, learnt to expect stones.

On a more cheerful note, I saw a group of people today, gathered around an injured crow. One man was giving it water.
Old 7th July 2016, 23:10   #4190
Distinguished - BHPian

For those feeding Pedigree, may I point to a better food product made by MARS themselves > Eukanuba (available in 1, 3 & 6 kg) for either small or large breed classifications. I researched deep into this after receiving a 1kg free sample and it seems that this is much, much better than Pedigree.. more ratio of proteins (30% vs 75%), oils and minerals so that the foundation for growth is strong.

The name Eukanuba is the coolest name in branding I've come across (a Jazz term for "the ultimate") and from what I'm seeing it is well worth the price difference with Pedigree (roughly Rs.1200 for a 3 kg pack vs Pedigree's Rs.510) but with this there is no need for any other supplement and it includes even ingredients for teeth health. Do give a try if possible and as always, ALWAYS start by giving a few small pieces like 10-12, and gradually increase over a span of 2 months when transitioning to any new food.. if by rare chance they are allergic or cannot digest it well it can be instantly stopped.
Old 8th July 2016, 02:31   #4191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The name Eukanuba is the coolest name in branding I've come across (a Jazz term for "the ultimate") ...
I always wondered about the strange-sounding word. Never knew. Thanks!
Old 8th July 2016, 03:10   #4192
Senior - BHPian

That is extremely heartless by those two medical students. What were they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One should think many times before ruining the life and career of a young person, but in this case, and with the career of medicine, it may be justified.
They should be suspended from their office/educational institution. Such mentally ill people ought to be treated somewhere. I can't find a reason why anybody would throw a dog from the top of the building.
Old 8th July 2016, 22:46   #4193
Distinguished - BHPian

When I see headlines about this kind of thing from UK, the words "prison sentence" are often included. Seems right to me.
Old 9th July 2016, 18:47   #4194
BHPian

Guys,

I've brought into my family a Rottie (named him Beem) and he is now about 8 months old.

Also brought into my family the all new Ford Endeavor earlier this month.

My rottie never had any issues getting in/out of the Innova's third row through the side doors. But that seems to be impossible with this new car due to the middle row seats not being able to tumble down to make room to go to the third row. So the only option left is to have him get into the car through the tailgate. The problem that I face is that it is way too high for him to climb/jump into the car without risking possible injury to his bones.

I considered the following,

https://www.amazon.com/PetSTEP-Foldi...ywords=PetSTEP

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Free...2D8X4YCVWSKX4E

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Conve...2D8X4YCVWSKX4E

But all the three above pose storage problems in the car. Also it would a pain to set up the ramps with so many impatient drivers in town/parking lots.

After weighing many choices, this one seems to be one of the best options.

https://www.amazon.com/Heininger-305...1H63N73W7P8K6F

But unfortunately, I am clueless on where to attach this to in my car? I checked the rear of the car below the spare tyre and I dont seem to find any hitch receivers. Can any one please help me with it? Does it need to be additional installed like a trailer attachment or something?
Old 9th July 2016, 20:20   #4195
Distinguished - BHPian

He should be able to jump in and jump out with ease. Why do you think that a strong dog like the Rottie wont be able to do that ? It would also give him a small work-out.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:33   #4196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
Guys,

I've brought into my family a Rottie (named him Beem) and he is now about 8 months old.

Also brought into my family the all new Ford Endeavor earlier this month.

The problem that I face is that it is way too high for him to climb/jump into the car without risking possible injury to his bones.

But unfortunately, I am clueless on where to attach this to in my car? I checked the rear of the car below the spare tyre and I dont seem to find any hitch receivers. Can any one please help me with it? Does it need to be additional installed like a trailer attachment or something?
You will need to fashion a clamp with suitable holes to fix your contraption behind the bumper of your Endeavor. You will need to buy the Amazon thingy before you go about designing the matching clamp with a tinkerer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
He should be able to jump in and jump out with ease. Why do you think that a strong dog like the Rottie wont be able to do that ? It would also give him a small work-out.
It is not possible for a massive dog like Rottweiler or German Shepherd to jump that high in a SUV.

I can relate to that as my GSD had to be hauled manually into the rear of my Safari. It is a real pain to lift a heavy dog - both for the human and the animal. I gave up going out with him after he snarled at me.
Old 10th July 2016, 12:56   #4197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I read a quite disturbing news about two medical students in Chennai throwing a dog from a building and shooting the video. Both have been suspended from college but I was astonished to find that the fine for their act was a mere Rs.50 and no jail term. I don't know how can one be so barbaric to be able to hurt some living thing which didn't cause any harm to them. the poor thing had survived somehow and was rescued by animal lovers. Its really sad that the dog still seems to be having faith in humans as it let the rescuers allow to touch it and wagged its tail, while I am losing the hope on humanity every day what with news of raping minor girls, some even as small as 3 or 4 years, incidents such as these etc.
url]http://www.ndtv.com/chennai-news/chennai-dog-flung-from-roof-is-found-tail-still-wagging-1428505?utm_source=taboola[/url]
I hope people everywhere, especially in Chennai, circulate this news widely and shame those culprits. They are unfit to be humans, leave alone to be doctors.
Yes, the news (horrifying tho' it was) is in keeping with the world that I see around me every day. And which you too have pointed out (re. raping of children etc). There seems to be two trends at work here as far human nature is concerned -
1) that we have convinced ourselves that we as a species, have supreme rights over the life of other species on this planet and
2) and this is more disturbing - that the law is impotent & spineless in our country and thus we can commit almost any act of bestiality with impunity.

It is encouraging that the two perpetrators were apprehended soon but were let off on bail! Until & unless prompt & severe follow-up punishment (without the possibility of bail) is meted out in these and other similar cases, such incidents will only increase.

I understand that this would need major changes in the law & penal code.

But the core tragedy of human insensitivity & indifference to what we see around us - how does one tackle that?

Last edited by shashanka : 10th July 2016 at 12:58.
Old 10th July 2016, 13:21   #4198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After weighing many choices, this one seems to be one of the best options.

https://www.amazon.com/Heininger-305...1H63N73W7P8K6F

What you need is a Tow Bar. Once the tow bar is installed the step is then fixed on to the tow bar. You can get a "socket" like attachment to fix on the tow bar in to which the piece with hole (see pic below) slides in and locked in place by lock pins or bolts.

Name:  hook.png
Views: 1045
Size:  181.9 KB

I have seen the tow bar on the pic of an Indian Test Mule of the new Ford Endeavour somewhere in TBHP. Hence, may be available from Ford India itself.

Drilling holes etc. which destroys the originality of a new car should be last of your options

Also I am giving the link to a discussion on the safe jumping height for Rottweilers.

https://www.amrottclub.org/sites/def...nouncement.pdf.

In that the safe jumping height for the breed is considered as 22" - 26". Hence, I don't think a healthy (within his breed standard weights) Rotti should have a problem in getting on to the open tailgate or back boot of any SUV (I agree with Condor on this). Over weight ones, I rest my case.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 10th July 2016 at 13:24.
Old 10th July 2016, 13:41   #4199
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, I've brought into my family a Rottie (named him Beem) and he is now about 8 months old............ But unfortunately, I am clueless on where to attach this to in my car? I checked the rear of the car below the spare tyre and I dont seem to find any hitch receivers. Can any one please help me with it? Does it need to be additional installed like a trailer attachment or something?

As Condor pointed out, your Rottie should have no problem jumping into the back of the Endy through the tail gate. The problem could very well be that all dogs are not good travelers. Our current grunt - a largish male boxer, Kluso - deeply resented jumping into the back of our Scorpio tho' he happily sailed over four foot railings with ease when retrieving. His mate - Pearl, a smallish white female boxer - on the other hand has no problem leaping in through the rear door. It took a while for Kluso to be persuaded - with a fair amount of bribing with tid-bits - before he decided to get into the car.

Our earlier pair (Darth & Daisy) had no such inhibitions, both being adept travelers, going with us on numerous trips to Uttaranchal from Mumbai (via Lucknow), first on our Tata Sierra and subsequently on the Scorpio. Both left us a while back for the happy hunting grounds - RIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000914.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0402.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0403.jpg  

Old 16th July 2016, 07:06   #4200
BHPian

Guys, Can someone please recommend good and affordable dog boarding places in and near Marathahalli? I know only about pet step in on old airport road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks