Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 14:22   #4096
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Luckily he has never seen a cat box before, so I was able to put it almost by his nose before grabbing him, otherwise it would have been another abject failure, but we got him in the box, in the car, and taken to the animal hospital at 11pm.

I don't know if he will ever speak to me again, and I don't know if he will survive, but I know for sure that he would not have done without treatment.
My wife said, "what guarantee that he will stick around when we bring him back?" I say, none at all, but at least we will know that we have saved his life. He may hate me for a while, but this is where he lives, and where he knows food is. ...
Great Job Thad.

Even we used to have a cat, which gets angry when put in a basket and transported. In one case it was so angry he did not come home for 1 week, and then returned. He was such a sweet cat.

Finally what matters is saving its life. BTW animals though might be angry/scared, get to know quickly, when we try to help them.

Once we had squirrel at home which we got when it was few days old, when she was left behind in an AC enclosure. Once one of the stray cats managed to catch it. My mom chased the cat and got it to drop the squirrel. When my mom went and picked it up, it immdly bit her from the fear. But after mom gave it some milk and made it comfortable, she was back to normal.
Old 29th March 2016, 17:01   #4097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Great Job Thad.
... ... ...
Thanks!

WBC still had the strength not only to struggle but to climb the curtains this morning. Luckily, the vet had managed to inject part of the anaesthetic dose, and he was soon quiet.

We sat outside for half an hour (music and AC in the car) and then, when they called us in we found him stitched and bandaged up. Apart from the huge wound, there were two others that got stitched.

Prognosis is unknown until a day or two passes. He is coming round right now, and we will go and see. The surgery is about 20 minutes drive away.

Actually, squirrels can be be really dangerous! My London vet had seen a case of a guy loose part of a finger due to a squirrel bite.
Old 29th March 2016, 17:08   #4098
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

WBC still had the strength not only to struggle but to climb the curtains this morning. Luckily, the vet had managed to inject part of the anaesthetic dose, and he was soon quiet.

We sat outside for half an hour (music and AC in the car) and then, when they called us in we found him stitched and bandaged up. Apart from the huge wound, there were two others that got stitched.

Prognosis is unknown until a day or two passes. He is coming round right now, and we will go and see. The surgery is about 20 minutes drive away.
Is he back home or still at the surgery. If he is back home controling his movements might be difficult. He should defn recover.

Quote:
Actually, squirrels can be be really dangerous! My London vet had seen a case of a guy loose part of a finger due to a squirrel bite.
Very true, the teeth is like sewing needles and can easily pierce human skin. Luckily for my mother nothing that bad. For my mom it was on the fleshy side, from one side to the other.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:03   #4099
BANNED

Quote:
An amazing story of self healing. Cats do have an astonishing power of survival; the famous nine lives. A similar wound on a previous cat of mine only got worse, and needed the vet.
In this case, imagine an area bigger than three inches square, with no skin. Just tissue open to the world. I could have been amazed, but I am pretty sure that it could not have healed without treatment, and that infection would have set in and finished off the animal in days.
Anyway, here's the update, just written for another site...
WBC (White-and-Black-Cat) is angry, afraid, wild, furious... but in a box at the vet's clinic.
Luckily he has never seen a cat box before, so I was able to put it almost by his nose before grabbing him, otherwise it would have been another abject failure, but we got him in the box, in the car, and taken to the animal hospital at 11pm.
I don't know if he will ever speak to me again, and I don't know if he will survive, but I know for sure that he would not have done without treatment.
I'm a bit concerned that he won't actually see the vet until 8am. I was tempted to come home for a mat and stay the night with him. But the vet's assistant is there.
After searching all around for him, I found him laying calmly in front of the house! Getting him in the box took one second, and had it not done so, I would have been scratched and he would have been gone.
My wife said, "what guarantee that he will stick around when we bring him back?" I say, none at all, but at least we will know that we have saved his life. He may hate me for a while, but this is where he lives, and where he knows food is. I doubt that he would go far for long.
While he is under treatment, they can sort out his mouth and teeth too. I'm sure there are some rotten teeth that he will be healthier without.
We have followed WBC's progress closely and are feeling relieved at the turn of events. Like you said, not counting one's chickens......
However, seeing him in the cat box gives me hope - he certainly looks a bad-ass and a fighter! - that with his 9 lives intact, he should pull through. Chin up, as they say.
Our Daisy (she is here in this thread elsewhere) was in the vet. hospital with pyometra, my wife spent two nights there (I was out of the country during the whole crisis & I haven't stopped flagellating myself) but she could not be saved. We look forward to your updates with fingers crossed.

Last edited by shashanka : 29th March 2016 at 18:09.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:48   #4100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, we are getting a new Labrador in a couple of days. This will be the first pet for us and we are very excited to make it a part of our family.

I need your inputs on the food and feeding schedules for the dog. Is pedigree and Royal Canin good for lab pups? Should it be dry or can we mix with water or milk? Can we also feed home food like rotis, rice, bread, etc.?

P.S. - We are vegetarians..
@aroy has given good advice for home cooked food. If you want to go the packaged kibble way, buy Royal Canin. It is much more expensive than Pedigree but worth it. If you must buy cheaper, Pedigree professional or Drools focus are ok but not their normal range. And honestly, I would not advise to skimp on food and medicines. Generally mix with a bit of water per instructions mentioned. Treats as part of training can be given dry

Please do avoid bread and food which are toxic e.g. grapes, raisins, dark chocolate, avocados, some nuts etc. Roti is ok, curd is ok, too much sugar and salt are not. Human food should not be given to dogs, once in a while is ok though. Labs are gluttons so do not overfeed - have a set feeding cycle (pups and adults will have different schedules - consult your vet). Ensure the dog knows table manners and is not fed scraps. Google or youtube for basic training stuff. Vaccinations, deworming, potty training, basic commands (sit, stay, obedience) are a must before you start taking him/her out for walks. If you have access to a swimming pool in the summers, nothing like it. Do spay/neuter and most importantly keep the dog engaged in tasks/exercise/mental stimulation. Two half an hour walks for an adult dog should be fine. A tired dog is a happy dog

Wish you and the pup a very long and happy time together. Dogs are the best things to have happened to man, and Labradors are adorable
Old 30th March 2016, 22:46   #4101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
We have followed WBC's progress closely and are feeling relieved at the turn of events. Like you said, not counting one's chickens......
However, seeing him in the cat box gives me hope - he certainly looks a bad-ass and a fighter! - that with his 9 lives intact, he should pull through. Chin up, as they say.
Our Daisy (she is here in this thread elsewhere) was in the vet. hospital with pyometra, my wife spent two nights there (I was out of the country during the whole crisis & I haven't stopped flagellating myself) but she could not be saved. We look forward to your updates with fingers crossed.
I can't deny that he is a very sick cat. Yesterday, after the operation, he wanted to move around, but the anaesthesia meant he could not. Today, he is just lying there looking ill.

One possible reason for this is simply that, as the anaesthetics wear off, it all hurts a great deal more. Have experienced this myself.

I made him more comfortable today, with soft stuff to lie on, and dished from home. Initially, he was only hissing and growling at me, but I was able to give him some curd, which he likes very much. After sitting with him for a while, he seemed no more active but, somehow, calmer. I think your wife had the right idea: I should be spending more time there. I had some ideas only today, like getting s sheet or something to cover part of his cage: he needs some more privacy.

Tomorrow is dressing-change day. Will see how that works out. Honestly, rather them than me, but, I guess they do this stuff for wilder creatures than my WBC, "badass" though he certainly is!

They are talking about keeping him in for ten to twenty days. It is a good thing I got the new car!
Old 1st April 2016, 18:24   #4102
BANNED

Quote:
I can't deny that he is a very sick cat. Yesterday, after the operation, he wanted to move around, but the anaesthesia meant he could not. Today, he is just lying there looking ill. One possible reason for this is simply that, as the anaesthetics wear off, it all hurts a great deal more. Have experienced this myself.
I made him more comfortable today, with soft stuff to lie on, and dished from home. Initially, he was only hissing and growling at me, but I was able to give him some curd, which he likes very much. After sitting with him for a while, he seemed no more active but, somehow, calmer. I think your wife had the right idea: I should be spending more time there. I had some ideas only today, like getting s sheet or something to cover part of his cage: he needs some more privacy.
Tomorrow is dressing-change day. Will see how that works out. Honestly, rather them than me, but, I guess they do this stuff for wilder creatures than my WBC, "badass" though he certainly is!
They are talking about keeping him in for ten to twenty days. It is a good thing I got the new car!
Well, that is certainly good news - and your idea about about providing a bit more privacy is quite right. As you know, in the wild most feral creatures, when injured, go into deep cover till they recover - or succumb. I feel - and hope - that recovery should be normal & uneventful from now on. And oh yes! - the new car would certainly help. And keeping him confined at the vet's for sometime is essential too. I hear from my Persian-owner neighbour that cats (unlike dogs, who snooze a great deal) are not easy to monitor at home, since they are on the move a good deal more.
Old 1st April 2016, 19:05   #4103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that is certainly good news
He is doing better today. Still pretty fed up with the situation, and not exactly pleased to see me, but pleased to accept food at least.

Quote:
And keeping him confined at the vet's for sometime is essential too..
The vet says that the deep tissue will not heal unless our poor animal is confined.

...And the car, just when I need it, is displaying odd symptoms that suggest interaction with another animal: rats .
I will not have it back until Monday. But still... again surprised by the reasonable prices of Ola cabs and autos!
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:18   #4104
BANNED

Quote:
He is doing better today. Still pretty fed up with the situation, and not exactly pleased to see me, but pleased to accept food at least. The vet says that the deep tissue will not heal unless our poor animal is confined.
...And the car, just when I need it, is displaying odd symptoms that suggest interaction with another animal: rats .
I will not have it back until Monday. But still... again surprised by the reasonable prices of Ola cabs and autos!
How's it going with WBC now? Deep tissue healing takes a good deal of time. Yes, car's have these strange habits - mine suddenly developed wires which appeared to be bitten through and yes....it was rats alright. We don't have too many cabs in Lucknow, more's the pity. And the autos - 3 wheelers - are having a field day ripping us off.
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:13   #4105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How's it going with WBC now?
Good news and bad...

He feels a lot better. I think the infection is beaten and so he has energy again --- and has used it to undo all the surgeon's beautiful needlework

The doc has decided to treat it as an open wound. It is beyond my belief, but the doc says yes, it can and will heal! He's going to be an inpatient for a while though. And I think he will have to have mild sedative for a while. They are doing this every other day for dressing change anyway,

Also good news is that today, he did not hiss and growl at me: he gave me a long sequence of meeow grumbling!

His appetite has never failed. He is eating even when he can't stand up. This evening I had tandoori chicken. That is one of his favourites: I'll take the leftovers for him tomorrow.

Ola is taking care of my travel very nicely. Was it even a good idea to buy another car? Not really, but... I guess us people here just like owning cars!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd April 2016 at 23:16.
Old 4th April 2016, 10:41   #4106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
has used it to undo all the surgeon's beautiful needlework
Get an elizabethan collar for cats, the wound might be healing hence its starting to itch. Its quite normal for cats/dogs to lick/nibble on such a wound, it will go worse if not treated with a collar.

Pramod
Old 4th April 2016, 13:09   #4107
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I guess the poor thing should have what I've always called a "lamp shade" collar. Will see again today. Vet, in the phone, suggested that we treat with ointment and medicines at home. Perhaps they are fed up with poor WBC! Anyway, I cannot do it. I cannot catch him and I cannot hold him.

Will see again today...
Old 6th April 2016, 09:22   #4108
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I guess the poor thing should have what I've always called a "lamp shade" collar. Will see again today. Vet, in the phone, suggested that we treat with ointment and medicines at home. Perhaps they are fed up with poor WBC! Anyway, I cannot do it. I cannot catch him and I cannot hold him. Will see again today...
We've used the Elizabethan collar - lampshade is apt indeed! - only once, for Daisy when she was spayed. It worked fine but she developed a loathing for it! Daisy was vain about her looks & was certain that it ruined her profile.

Ok, then, what's the latest with WBC? Where is he by the way - at the vet's or have you brought him home?

Am adding a couple from the archives....
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0247.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000905.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0261.jpg  

Old 6th April 2016, 14:37   #4109
Distinguished - BHPian

... Lovely pics!

WBC is, we hear, still misbehaving properly, having torn up all the newspaper that was put in his cage yesterday. I brought home all the fabric mats and stuff, very stinky, and 90-degree washed in the machine.

I'll see him and the doctor this eveing.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:56   #4110
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any place where i can put up kittens for adoption in Bangalore? There are 4 approx 10 week old ferel kittens in my house. All healthy. I cannot keep them all because there are already 4 cats in the house.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks