Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2016, 18:04   #4021
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could you let me know the difference? I recently saw a show on NDTV(?) YouTube channel about breeds and the anchor said its (Alsatian & GS) all the same.
As you say not much. Only in appearance.
My observation, GS has thick hair, Alsatian has smooth coat short hair.
Americans called it GS,while the British chose to call it Alsatian during a war.
Old 11th January 2016, 23:04   #4022
BHPian

Guys in Chennai, a friend of mine has 3 cute adorable kittens at her place. The mother cat, unfortunately, has gone missing leaving out these kitties. Anyone willing to adopt them??
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1452533448182.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1452533462430.jpg  

Old 11th January 2016, 23:11   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
As you say not much. Only in appearance.
My observation, GS has thick hair, Alsatian has smooth coat short hair.
Americans called it GS,while the British chose to call it Alsatian during a war.
German Shepherd dog or GSD is the same as Alsatian. Legend is that the name Alsatian was coined during the 1940s when due to nationalist sentiments, many people refused to buy/work with GSDs on hearing the word "German". To work around that sentiment, breeders labelled the GSD as Alsatian breed , from the French region Alsace-Lorraine, close to the then German occupied Swiss territory.

There are short and long haired breeds within the GSD breed.
Old 15th January 2016, 23:41   #4024
Senior - BHPian

My kid Auric left us forever

I never thought that i would be writing this so soon, whole family is so heartbroken and we still can not wipe our tears with the pain that Auric has left us with.

Auric was a 4.5 years old male retriever, our first and only dog ever. I have not yet seen a more well behaved and intelligent golden so far in my life, i still have all the memories when we brought him home, how he grew up, how he used to jump at my mom to give him food and how he used to greet us when we came home from work or even after a 20 minute job.

Poor chap had an issue with seizures when he was just 1 year old but the frequency was low, he had 1-2 seizures every 2-3 months but he was a strong boy and always bounced back. We took great care of him and he was doing good with medicines. He was such a strong boy that he never even had any cold/cough/fever in these 4.5 years he was with us.

For the past 1-1.5 years, his seizures increased manifolds. He started having seizures every 28 days, he used to have 15-20 seizures over 24-48 hours every 28 days but we did not lose hope, the vet suggested putting him down but we were not going to do it.

We changed to a different vet and he added Nurozip with Gardenal, this helped Auric and now he used to have seizures every 3-4 months. He always had grand mal seizures, used to urinate, got blind for a few hours and when the number of seizures crossed 15-17 within 24 hours, he even failed to recognize us. It brought us pain but we were happy that medication used to fix him every time and after 8-9 days, Auric used to be at his usual best.

On that dreaded 12th January, 2016, i woke him up at 5 AM for a walk and he happily wagged his tail, went for a walk and came back home. He had his first seizure at 6AM, i asked the vet and booked my appointment for 9 AM. Till 9 AM, he had 3 more seizures, it was not shocking for us since he had to have these cluster seizures every time. Took him to the vet and they gave him medicines but this time, medicines just did not help, we came back home at 1 PM and he had 1 more seizure in the car.

He kept having seizures every hour and we took him in the hospital around 5 PM for SOS. Diazepam, lonozep had no effect on Auric, he kept having seizures whole night. All blood work was normal, we were all by his side and it was so heart breaking to see him like that, he had no food since morning, no water and could not see any thing. By 11 AM on 13th January, Auric has had over 60 seizures and the vet warned us that his heart might give away any moment and they have to anaesthetize Auric to save him but he was worried that he might not wake up.

We had no option and we gave a go ahead. At 1 PM next day, he had his last seizure and for next 2 hours he was fine. We thought that he would be saved, he started having hiccups at 3:30 PM and then his breathing abruptly stopped. My sister and father shouted to the vet, we all were crying, Auric had a heart attack, doctor tried to pump his heart but it was clear that he had passed away peacefully and crossed the rainbow bridge, he wanted to end his sufferings and rest peacefully. We got him cremated the same day, collected his "Astiyan" in the morning and then went to Haridwar to immerse them in the Ganga.

Our house feels empty and especially my mother can not stop crying because Auric used to be with her 24 hours, it feels as if some one has snatched my soul away. God is cruel to have taken away my baby at such a young age of 4.5 years. We knew we did not have much time with Auric owing to his severe epilepsy but we had expected that he would be with us till 7-8 years.

Doctor told us that it was brain tumour or some thing wrong with nervous system since he has never seen a dog having 60 seizures within 24 hours, we tried our best but could not save him.

He is in a better place now, without these medicines and constant intra veinous injections. Please pray that his soul rests in peace.

Auric's death has given me so much pain that i do not think i would every be able to bring another dog in my life, he has left us alone and heart broken, miss him so badly.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2291.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2553.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2977goldy.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3432.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3622.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3743.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3756.jpg

Last edited by coolboy007 : 15th January 2016 at 23:42.
Old 16th January 2016, 00:20   #4025
BHPian

Re: My kid Auric left us forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I never thought that i would...
Rajat,
I am so sorry for your loss. I felt extremely bad when I read through the whole post and my heart sank completely. May his soul rest in piece.
Old 16th January 2016, 05:56   #4026
Distinguished - BHPian

Very very sorry for you and all your family. RIP Auric. It may have been short, but I'm sure he had the best life that a dog can have.
Old 16th January 2016, 06:46   #4027
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
German Shepherd dog or GSD is the same as Alsatian. Legend is that the name Alsatian was coined during the 1940s when due to nationalist sentiments, many people refused to buy/work with GSDs on hearing the word "German". To work around that sentiment, breeders labelled the GSD as Alsatian breed , from the French region Alsace-Lorraine, close to the then German occupied Swiss territory.

There are short and long haired breeds within the GSD breed.
Yes. This information is correct. Except for the 1940's "Alsatian" bit.
Inhabitants and residents from the Alsace Lorraine region have long been referred to as Alsatians.
That region has always been a bit of a bone of contention between the French and the Germans.
Surprisingly, though it is in France, most people there speak German for the most part.
The German Shepherd Dog and Alsatian are the same breed. Yes, there are long haired ones as well as shorter haired ones within this breed.
They are quite closely related to the Belgian Shepherd dog and the Malinois as well.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:42   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
I also have few cows and they are the best beings ever!
Could you share your experiences of cows as pets and what makes you say that they are the best beings ever? It will be interesting to hear about a different animal other than the dog.

Himanshu

Last edited by bhardwhu : 16th January 2016 at 07:54.
Old 16th January 2016, 08:40   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
I never thought that i would be writing this so soon,
Extremely sorry to hear about your loss. Pets do make us understand the meaning of true unselfish love. We pray for Auric's soul to Rest in Peace.
He was blessed to have people like you to love and look after him for the short stay on this planet.
Take Care
Old 16th January 2016, 10:42   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
I never thought that i would be writing this so soon, whole family is so heartbroken and we still can not wipe our tears with the pain that Auric has left us with.

He is in a better place now, without these medicines and constant intra veinous injections. Please pray that his soul rests in peace.
Really sad, may his soul rest in peace. Its hard to lose such beautiful beings. Strength lies in the memory and our love for them
Old 16th January 2016, 16:23   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Rajat,
I am so sorry for your loss. I felt extremely bad when I read through the whole post and my heart sank completely. May his soul rest in piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very very sorry for you and all your family. RIP Auric. It may have been short, but I'm sure he had the best life that a dog can have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Extremely sorry to hear about your loss. Pets do make us understand the meaning of true unselfish love. We pray for Auric's soul to Rest in Peace.
He was blessed to have people like you to love and look after him for the short stay on this planet.
Take Care
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Really sad, may his soul rest in peace. Its hard to lose such beautiful beings. Strength lies in the memory and our love for them
Thanks for your wishes people, just remember Auric in your prayers and pray that he rests in peace and he is happy up there watching over us.
Our house feels so empty right now and it is impossible to accept the fact that there is no one around to greet when i come back home, a part of our family went away with him.
Old 18th January 2016, 21:13   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
Only some one who has owned and cared for a dog will understand the type of void they leave behind. After our last dog passed away, my parents decided that we will never have another pet in the house, we can not deal with the loss. It's been 15 years since my last dog, I still remember him fondly.

Quote:

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

― Will Rogers
Old 18th January 2016, 21:57   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Could you share your experiences of cows as pets and what makes you say that they are the best beings ever? It will be interesting to hear about a different animal other than the dog.

Himanshu
I have been around cows ever since I was a kid (thanks to my grand parents). Extremely intelligent, they can be both docile and notorious depending on the situation. Luckily for me I have been able to provide them free range grazing rather than having them confined to a shed. Most of them I know who used to have cows as part of their homes, do not have them anymore due to lack of space, growing maintenance etc. It is quite a task to take care of cows especially when you have a few of them. They have always provided us more than what we can give them. It just grows on you and after a point you just cant be without them.
Old 18th January 2016, 22:16   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
Most of them I know who used to have cows as part of their homes, do not have them anymore due to lack of space, growing maintenance etc. It is quite a task to take care of cows especially when you have a few of them.
Don't know much about cows, but I have been been fascinated by the 3 breeds of indigenous dwarf cows in India and especially the Vechur Cattle from Kerala. They are only 3 feet tall and give 3 liters of milk a day. Their milk sells for a premium in case you can find it and is used for Ayurveda.
Old 18th January 2016, 22:34   #4035
BHPian

Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:

Auric was a 4.5 years old male retriever, our first and only dog ever. I have not yet seen a more well behaved and intelligent golden so far in my life, i still have all the memories when we brought him home, how he grew up, how he used to jump at my mom to give him food and how he used to greet us when we came home from work or even after a 20 minute job.

Poor chap had an issue with seizures when he was just 1 year old but the frequency was low, he had 1-2 seizures every 2-3 months but he was a strong boy and always bounced back. We took great care of him and he was doing good with medicines. He was such a strong boy that he never even had any cold/cough/fever in these 4.5 years he was with us.

For the past 1-1.5 years, his seizures increased manifolds. He started having seizures every 28 days, he used to have 15-20 seizures over 24-48 hours every 28 days but we did not lose hope, the vet suggested putting him down but we were not going to do it.

We changed to a different vet and he added Nurozip with Gardenal, this helped Auric and now he used to have seizures every 3-4 months. He always had grand mal seizures, used to urinate, got blind for a few hours and when the number of seizures crossed 15-17 within 24 hours, he even failed to recognize us. It brought us pain but we were happy that medication used to fix him every time and after 8-9 days, Auric used to be at his usual best.

On that dreaded 12th January, 2016, i woke him up at 5 AM for a walk and he happily wagged his tail, went for a walk and came back home. He had his first seizure at 6AM, i asked the vet and booked my appointment for 9 AM. Till 9 AM, he had 3 more seizures, it was not shocking for us since he had to have these cluster seizures every time. Took him to the vet and they gave him medicines but this time, medicines just did not help, we came back home at 1 PM and he had 1 more seizure in the car.

He kept having seizures every hour and we took him in the hospital around 5 PM for SOS. Diazepam, lonozep had no effect on Auric, he kept having seizures whole night. All blood work was normal, we were all by his side and it was so heart breaking to see him like that, he had no food since morning, no water and could not see any thing. By 11 AM on 13th January, Auric has had over 60 seizures and the vet warned us that his heart might give away any moment and they have to anaesthetize Auric to save him but he was worried that he might not wake up.

We had no option and we gave a go ahead. At 1 PM next day, he had his last seizure and for next 2 hours he was fine. We thought that he would be saved, he started having hiccups at 3:30 PM and then his breathing abruptly stopped. My sister and father shouted to the vet, we all were crying, Auric had a heart attack, doctor tried to pump his heart but it was clear that he had passed away peacefully and crossed the rainbow bridge, he wanted to end his sufferings and rest peacefully. We got him cremated the same day, collected his "Astiyan" in the morning and then went to Haridwar to immerse them in the Ganga.

Our house feels empty and especially my mother can not stop crying because Auric used to be with her 24 hours, it feels as if some one has snatched my soul away. God is cruel to have taken away my baby at such a young age of 4.5 years. We knew we did not have much time with Auric owing to his severe epilepsy but we had expected that he would be with us till 7-8 years.

Doctor told us that it was brain tumour or some thing wrong with nervous system since he has never seen a dog having 60 seizures within 24 hours, we tried our best but could not save him.

Auric's death has given me so much pain that i do not think i would every be able to bring another dog in my life, he has left us alone and heart broken, miss him so badly.

Attachment 1461254

Attachment 1461255

Attachment 1461256

Attachment 1461257

Attachment 1461258
OMG, my heart sank when I read this. I lost my Goofy too at 13 yrs of age. He had liver failure and the last two days were terrible. I would hug him tightly and cry. He couldn't even stand up, if we make him stand up, he could not sit and then he started staring into the unknown and couldn't recognise us at all. The vet told us to put him down and I for one could never ever do that. He died peacefully in his sleep on 19th April 2015. Sometimes I Still feel he's running around the house or the fact that he's gonna jump on my bed, lick my face and wake me up in the morning but alas......

I can totally relate to your going through. Our house too feels so empty right now and I too strongly feel a part of our family went away with him. The last few days of his suffering and the loss has made sure that I will never ever have a pet again in my house. I just can't bear the loss.

But I've learnt to accept the fact he had one of the best life a dog could ever have- all the love we gave him, the car rides everyday, his bday celebrations, new bed every year, loads of toys, the long walks etc.

Take comfort in the fact that you did all that you could. I'm doing the same.

May his soul R.I.P

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by drhoneycake : 18th January 2016 at 22:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks