Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 14:01   #976
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
I guess it's just that your paths have'nt crossed. Be careful. Do you have any pictures of 'em?
It's not like that. But we are careful. Nothing to worry as they will never harm you unless you hurt them.
Don't know why but the villagers say not to click snaps.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:02   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

That's amazing!

I've always been told that if one leaves snakes alone, they will leave us alone; that they are more scared of us than we of them, and that they just need time and space to slither away.

I'm not quite sure how much I'd like to put that to the test with a garden full of cobras, though! Hats off to Live To Jive, who might also be known as Live and Let Live!

On the wonderful puppy, all praise to her rescuer --- but an infestation of ticks and/or fleas needs attention from a vet, especially in an animal so small and young. They not only threaten skin problems, but can cause anaemia, due to the blood loss. A body so small, though, needs great care as to what, and how much, poisons it can take.

Hats off, again --- this time to Spinnerr for the rescue. I don't think that puppy would have been in the street, getting attention like that from the pack, if it was being nursed normally by her mother.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:25   #978
BHPian

Thanks guys for all those tips. These input are really really useful. So, no vet for this pet, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Sorry for being Harsh, but you should probably not have picked up the puppy from road, specially when it is so small.

Main Concern - You can visit 'Cuppa' in Sanjay Nagar. they will be happy to adopt the puppy. But before doing that, look for his mom and leave him with his Mom..!
Well the situation was like that. I wouldnt have picked it up had I seen atleast one female dog in the pack. From the looks of it, I feel someone had dropped the pup off in my street, cuz I dont see any of the female dogs with a litter around them.
Appreciate your concern.

Cuppa did cross my mind, but I am too sure about how good they treat pups, may be I shall visit their facility one day.

For now, the pup is satying with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
....Best option is to wipe the dog with kerosene and then bathe it....

As for the food, buy a ceralac and mix 1/3 of it with 1/3 water and 1/3 milk puppies of this age love it.

Make sure you have things to keep it occupaid like a toy and enough food and water, do not chain it.
I too had heard abt this kerosene trick from one of my aunts, but not too sure how to try that.

Didnt know dogs dig cerala.
So, its a little too early for pedegree and other chews.

BTW, the pup is smart enough to jump over the box that I use on one side of the enclosure. Like you said, no chains for now. I did get one of those dog bones for it to chew on, but its happy to feast on our toes than on the bone. And with the teeths growing, it pricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
As for food, bread+biscuit for a 2 week old pup? ....only drink mother's milk. So give it some milk + water combo (preferably cow's milk).
Well, I am just guessing its age here.

By the third day, it was getting hungry way too often, I felt it was because 'only' milk wasnt enough. That was why I started sokaing biscut in milk and making a pulp out of it, then now stared adding bread as well.
Now that you guys have corrected me, its more and more of milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
...and make sure the dog gets to stroll around on a grassy surface every now and then, as this helps in potty training.
Stroll on the grassy surface, that is a little difficult now. I havent taken it down since I got it, but yeah every night for abt 15-20 mins, till it gets tired, I play with it on the terrace. So it is walking or rather running after my feet, to nibble it.

Potty training, thats something I am struggliing with right now. As of today, my bundle of old news paper is dwindling at a good rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
...Some more info on this linky.
Thanks for the link!

@Thad E Ginathom
Hehehe... I am beaming with pride. Feeling like... a small hero.
But honestly, its nothing, its fun when you have young animals, esp something like a pup or kitten, they play well.

Let me fix those fleas now.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 4th March 2010 at 14:34.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:33   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
but its happy to feast on our toes than on the bone. And with the teeths growing, it pricks.
Give a cold carrot to the pup. Will keep it occupied for a while. It's just the right mixture of juiciness and hardness. Helps sooth the gums as the teeth erupt.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:56   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
I too had heard abt this kerosene trick from one of my aunts, but not too sure how to try that.

Didnt know dogs dig cerala.
So, its a little too early for pedegree and other chews.

BTW, the pup is smart enough to jump over the box that I use on one side of the enclosure. Like you said, no chains for now. I did get one of those dog bones for it to chew on, but its happy to feast on our toes than on the bone. And with the teeths growing, it pricks.

They love ceralac, just go to a medical store and see if you can get one which is post expairy or near that period. When we had our first dog we used to feed her that, and they grow very fast. Your dog must be teething, do not let it chew on your feet, say NO! in a stern voice when ever it does that, else it will start eating your foot wear soon. It it turns very naughty, roll a news paper and give a slight wack on the rear, or hit the news paper on the ground hard. Start calling him/ her a name, when ever your tone changes dogs will understand it. Kerosene is the best possible remedy. all the other tic medicines available are useless. Just remember tics have a hard shell, and no medicine which can penetrate their shell will stay harmless for the dog, kerosene will intoxicate them so that you can wash them off.

Most of the people here feel (no offences) that kerosene is very harmful, but its not that harmful. I have seen my Granny using it on one of the street dog which i captured and used to sleep with when i was a kid. I would not listen to anyone and would cry for hours if someone even spoke about getting rid of the dog. So my granny tried this as i aslo started itching.

They were smart enough to get rid of the dog and make me feel happy about it. Please feel free to ask any question you have in your mind related to your pups upbringing. BTW male of female?

Pramod
Old 4th March 2010, 15:08   #981
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
My pets are a bit creepy. We have a house which is over 100 years old and if you sit in the garden in the evening, you'll see 7 of my pets. They're Cobra's. People say that this house always had Cobras roaming around since it was built and till date they have never attacked any occupant of the house or any guest.
Dude forget about the villagers... We want the pictures

@Spinner Just forget about the ticks. This is something very natural. ALL dogs have ticks untill they are 2 months old. I bet anyone found the best of dogs without ticks in 2 months of age. If at all you find ticks even after they are 2 months old, you get medicates shampoos and a paste which you have to put along the dog's backbone..

About BATH? Please.... A dog ONLY needs a bath until they are 4 months old. I know this sounds ridiculous and my reaction was the same when I heard it from a very renowned VET.

For now, Only give 50:50 ratio of milk and water. Cerelac and all those stuff come after the puppy is 45 days old and vaccinated.

But, think before you want to keep him as a pet, because you stay in an apartment and you will really have issues later. Cuppa is a good place, I have been there. They don't give VIP attention to the animals there, but whatever... it's good enough.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:03   #982
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

indeed snakes are more scared of us than we are of them
the only species of snake that attacks without much provocation is the Black Mamba, found in Africa.
Cobras Vipers etc are peaceful beasts if left alone. If however one pokes about where one shouldnt, then you really cant blame the beast for defending itself!

Spinerr - WELL DONE! I ve done the same myself some time ago in my neighbourhood. Picked up a poor forlorn little pup one morning when I was out for a walk. Clearly abandoned and nosing about looking for grub. Poor chap. He was really very small. Luckily my dog was nursing her puppies at the time so the little chap that I picked up simply joined the pack.
He stayed with us for 4 weeks till he became tougher and then my immediate neighbours adopted him. He and his pal (another local dog that they've adopted) live in my neighbours house right behind my house. His name is Rocky - the other fellow is just "Dog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's amazing!

I've always been told that if one leaves snakes alone, they will leave us alone; that they are more scared of us than we of them, and that they just need time and space to slither away.

I'm not quite sure how much I'd like to put that to the test with a garden full of cobras, though! Hats off to Live To Jive, who might also be known as Live and Let Live!

On the wonderful puppy, all praise to her rescuer --- but an infestation of ticks and/or fleas needs attention from a vet, especially in an animal so small and young. They not only threaten skin problems, but can cause anaemia, due to the blood loss. A body so small, though, needs great care as to what, and how much, poisons it can take.

Hats off, again --- this time to Spinnerr for the rescue. I don't think that puppy would have been in the street, getting attention like that from the pack, if it was being nursed normally by her mother.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:50   #983
BHPian

When we had dogs,to take care of the ticks we used to give them a dettol bath just be careful near the face,as it is a puppy mix water and dettol use a cotton ball to apply all over and leave for a few minutes the ticks start dropping off.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:37   #984
Senior - BHPian

Kerosene, dettol... what next? How about HCL? H2SO4? HNO3 mebbe?

Gosh, seriously, no offence guys, but if you feel you have to dab your poor hapless pooch with all this, and that too just for ticks, you shouldn't be keeping pets.

Ticks are so easy to get rid of. Just use a tweezer to pull it out carefull (making sure the head does not break!) and then just put the fiend in a small container of kerosene or CH3COOH or even vinegar. You don't need to apply anything on the dog for ticks.

For fleas, its another matter of course.... cus its next to impossible to catch them with tweezers.

I used to just use a dog powder when I had my doggie. I can't recall the name or the composition now, but just a wee bit of that on either fleas or ticks, and the thing is dead in 10 - 15 mins. Am sure similar products will be available with veterinary chemists or even supermarkets. Else please ask a vet.

Kerosene is toxic, can be absorbed thru skin. It may also be ingested as dogs are prone to lick themselves. Fumes are also toxic.

Dettol is too strong and irritating. Heck, it even irritates my skin big time.

Last edited by Raccoon : 5th March 2010 at 02:39.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:07   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Ticks are serious. Just see how quickly they grow to know how much blood they are sucking. Albeit my humble opinion only, I repeat... an infestation should be dealt with by a vet*.

Catching fleas with tweezers would, indeed, be a Herculean task! The tool for this job is a fine-tooth comb. Dip it in water after each pass, to kill the collected livestock --- else the fleas will just jump off into the room!

*As soon as the youngster is old enough, the vet will also deal with the inevitable worms. The animal will be much healthier without its parasites
Old 5th March 2010, 17:11   #986
BANNED

a good anti tick treatment

Boil neem leaves and add the "tea" to the dogs bath water.use Erina EP Shampoo for the bath - it is a completely natural product from Himalaya.

Next, RIDD is a medicated anti tick treatment which works. - be sure to dilute it properly in the recommended amount of water though and use rubber gloves to massage it into the dogs coat after the bath and after the dog is properly dried off.

Post the RIDD treatment, make sure the dog sits in the sun for about 15 minutes so that the RIDD dries up on the skin.

Over the next few days you will see ticks and fleas falling off regularly and DEAD.
This method is very effective as per my experience.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:45   #987
BHPian

As Shankar mentioned give a bath to the puppy with a good anti tick formulated shampoo and then apply then apply the recommended amount of diluted "RIDD" medicine. This should take care of the ticks.You can also put tick collars around the neck of the pup. This isnt as effective as "RIDD".If the pup is more than 7 months old then you can apply "FRONTLINE" tick drops. This has to be applied on the spine of the pup after bath. This is the best remedy but a little costly. A 5 or 10 ML bottle costs 550 bucks. i use it on all my dogs and have found it to be the best.I usee 2 such bottles for my saint bernard. Once applied the dog remains tick free for around 2 months. Please do not apply dettol etc.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:33   #988
BANNED

Some common points on Sickness in Dogs:

always remove ticks promptly. if required seek a proper vet's advice
ticks cause tick fever, a horrible debilitating disease which over a long time affects the dogs kidneys too, resulting in acute renal failure (since the creatinine count and WBC count goes completely haywire.) Worth having an annual blood test on the pets and check the reading of WBC and Creatinine levels regularly since dogs largely eat a high protein (meat,egg, milk diet) + Carbs (rice).

tick fever is not unlike tpyhus fever caused by lice in human beings.

the dog will pant a lot, show a high temperature, go off his/her food and generally be listless, wont come for walks, and generally be moping about. be very careful with these symptoms.

also be very careful about leptospirosis - very common in summer time, in case the dog is exposed to rats and their excrement anywhere in or near the house. especially where there may be rubbish dumps with food/organic matter which rats like to lurk near.

rat urine is also extremely dangerous for dogs on account of leptospirosis. ensure the dogs plates and water bowls are properly scoured and cleaned every time after use - with VIM and a 3M type Scrubber. any food particles and so on attract rats especially at night.

make sure the dog is given the standard set of injections on time each year for rabies, lepto, parvo virus etc. and try and keep the dog indoors with the family - much better for his/her health.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th March 2010 at 11:34.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:25   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Give a cold carrot to the pup.
Tried that, pup doesnt seems to keen to bite the carrot, she prefers a small rubber tube. And when we are around, the bottom of our pant, its very happy to cling on to jeans, works for us too, cuz its nails dont penetrate the thick cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
They love ceralac...
Didnt opt for this. Felt, if we pamper it too much, then it will miss all this in its new home.

BTW tried another thing, its called 'Muthari' (a combination of ragi powder and other such cereals). Since you guys had talked about how important fibers are to keep the digestive system clean.
This seems to work wonders. Puppy is active and the dog poop is of high quality, low on smell,

We boil this in milk and keep a glass of this liquid aside, it would be a thick liquid. Then every time we feed her, we mix about 3-4 spoons in a bowl of milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.... ensure the dogs plates and water bowls are properly scoured and cleaned every time after use - with VIM and a 3M type Scrubber. any food particles and so on attract rats especially at night.
Yup, this we are taking care of, every morning, the dog bowl is scrubbed and the water bowl filled with fresh water.

Regd tick, I shall try something next weekend, the count has gone down, and I dont see it scratching much, so I guess it is under control.

And, a big Thanks to everyone, for helping me out. I learnt a whole lot of things about puppy care.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 8th March 2010 at 11:44.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:42   #990
BANNED

Ragi is excellent for dogs - high on fibre and bulk so the dog's digestion will improve, he/ she wont feel hungry and it is good for the dogs health too.

[quote=Spinnerr;1770529]BTW tried another thing, its called 'Muthari' (a combination of ragi powder and other such cereals). Since you guys had talked about how important fibers are to keep the digestive system clean.
This seems to work wonders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks