Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 17:49   #1036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

Edit:Also we have decided against docking of the tail as it is really a very inhuman thing to do in our opinion.We were earlier told by some people that its a medical reason and the dog dies or does not grow fully if the tail is not docked which is totally false.It is just that we humans try to make things as we please and we have taken it to the extreme with challenging nature by doing things like docking these silent loving dogs' tails.
I very much appreciate your act.

I don't know the reasons behind people docking the tail. But what I feel is nature won't give things without any use. And if these dogs have tails by birth then they are there for some reason and as such we have no right to do otherwise.

My little knowledge having watched some documentaries etc makes me believe that tail brings balance to the animals while sprinting or running. Also I think it helps in communication as we see dogs using the tail in different situations to show their intent. Ex. When they feel threatened or are submissive to another dog, they generally keep the tail between their hind legs.

If anyone can throw more light on this I am very eager to learn.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:10   #1037
BHPian

My reply is in bold:
Quote:
JackSparrow: Regarding the separation both we and the present owner insisted that the pup be kept with the mother for a minimum 8 weeks.On the 28th he'll be 4 weeks and we are going to check him out.
We are not into shows etc. but now we'd like to participate a bit maybe.Basically it was about having the best available pup nearby and this one fits perfectly.
Then do follow certain guidelines to pick the best pup. You can find loads of information online(like AKC rottweiler standards). You've taken a right decision to keep them together for 8 weeks .
The Dam is the daughter of a former Champion italian import named Aron.
and the Sire is a International and indian champion Brooklyn.s Berega Turi.
Both of them are really beautiful to look at.Really really beautiful.
That's great. I'm actually looking for a male puppy and if there is another male in the litter please do PM me the price. Also, it would be great if you could post some pictures of Sire and Dam.
Thanks for the food tip.
Your are most welcome.
Also initially when i bring the pup home when he is 8 weeks old which particular royal canin product should i feed him.You've stated Giant breed.So is that a adult dog food or is it the puppy food in that grade.
I guess it's the puppy food in that grade.
Another small Query.
We're planning to get another pup in about 8-10 months time when this one is grown up so that we can then take care of the other pup.
That one will again be a male.
We're contemplating a Labrador Retriever or a pitbull or maybe another rotweiller.
So how do the male dogs get along?
Any kind of fights they get into for setting the pecking order?
also what other breeds of males can i get which won't result in these two fighting?
If I may ask, why do you want another male? Usually two males do not get along well. They have dominance issue. Even if you get a male chihuahua there's going to be a lot of problem. Size doesn't matter here, it's the gender. I would recommend a female rottweiler, If you want a different breed then neuter/spay it.

Edit:Also we have decided against docking of the tail as it is really a very inhuman thing to do in our opinion.We were earlier told by some people that its a medical reason and the dog dies or does not grow fully if the tail is not docked which is totally false.It is just that we humans try to make things as we please and we have taken it to the extreme with challenging nature by doing things like docking these silent loving dogs' tails.
I wanted to mention this in the last post but thought you would be offended or something. I really appreciate your decision. When my vet said to dock the tail and that too after 2 months, I was totally against it and am happy that I made a right decision for my rottie. Docking is purely for cosmetic reasons. Poor dogs, they go through hell.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:45   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Kittens up for Adoption - Chennai

Please PM me if you're interested. A dear friend's mom is now the guardian angel.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-kittens-adoption-chennai.jpg  

Old 27th March 2010, 18:50   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Folks,

I need Your help.
Wifey and I decided to bring a dog home and have him/her as part of our family. Since we both are working full-time, we intend to have the pet raised at my in-laws home with week-ends spent at ours. My aunt has a long history of raising dogs (none currently though) and she would love the idea of having one at her home.

The following are the confusion:
a) Not sure if its a good idea to raise at my aunts place (~10 kms from ours) with week-end visits to my home. We plan to have him/her in our home full-time in the next 4-6 months.
I have a similar query as rocky's but I guess I am even in a worse situation.
I have had dogs at my parents place all along while I was living with them.
Now when I have moved to bangalore I am missing the company of my pet.
Both me and my better half are working so I am really confused whether we can really bring in a puppy now.But I have waited almost for the past 4 years but still not able to find a 24x7 maid to be at home in our absence.

I understand that its very cruel to leave the puppy at home while we are going to office in the morning.We usually come back by 8 pm only and hence the pal would have to be alone almost 8 to 9 hours.
Me and my better half really want to get one.

My neighbours who also have had a regular office routine like me had brought in a golden retriver pup last year and they used to leave it at home.And now the dude is all grown up and waits eagerly for their owners to return home.They seem one happy family now.
They say that I can also leave my pup, if i get one, at home alone with some food and water around for the pup.

I know many pet lovers will want to smack me up but trust me I just love dogs.I would never want to hurt them.

So wanted opinions from pet loving buddies of this forum as to what should I do.Can I go ahead and get one lab pup? Is it safe for the pup to be at home all alone with no one around?Will he panic??I am really apprehensive but have no patience to wait further as I know things would always be the same and if it goes this way I will never be able to have my own pal.
Guidance
Old 28th March 2010, 11:36   #1040
Team-BHP Support

I am a "cat person". At one point of time, we had 9 cats at home. Unfortunately, there are none at home right now - thanks to overpopulation of street dogs near our area.

I'm attaching some of the pics we had taken of our cats -
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-008.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-006.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-005.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-018.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-024.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00156.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00158.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00160.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00161.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02682.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0360.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0362.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0365.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1038.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3030166.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3030168.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3030169.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3030172.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1036.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 21:09   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see your cats!

I suspect that the local dogs are responsible for me only having one cat now. Sad.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:54   #1042
Team-BHP Support

Yes, that's why my future retirement home will definitely not be in a big city. Small coastal towns and not-very-popular hill stations are generally cat friendly.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:28   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless, of course, there is an itinerant tribal population that eats them

Whatever the local nature of the risk, whether it is that, cars, dogs etc, I guess cats are more subject to it, due to their independent nature. Once let out of the door, they are wild animals again, and not at all under our control. For all that, I could not bring myself to keep a cat shut up inside, though: worse than keeping a bird in a small cage!
Old 28th March 2010, 23:39   #1044
Team-BHP Support

Keeping cats inside will rob its character - and its character is what makes them so lovable. Playfulness, intelligence, curiosity, acrobatics - all gone.

Since we didn't have a cat at home for a long time, we decided to get one from CUPA (Compassion Unlimited Plus Action) Bangalore. Although CUPA people mean well, they had kept kittens in cages . We donated Rs. 200 and adopted a kitten.

But unfortunately, the cat had no instincts - never used to chase a rope, never used to move around in the house much, wasn't even scared of dogs. It lasted only for 3 months - vanished suddenly.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:18   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Nice Cats

i saw a strange thing yesterday. i was walking back home yesterday when i saw a group of dogs (mostly male) fighting over / attacking another dog over something. i thought perhaps another dog strayed in from another locality. then to my surprize, i saw a cat trying to hide by a dog (female) and the female dog was trying to protect it with all its might.

i saw similar clippings on FHV (Family home video) on TV - but this was the first time i saw something in person.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:33   #1046
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Tail functions as a directional rudder - as do the whiskers.
Whiskers are very sensitive so the dog is able to sense danger for example. If he / she is playing about in the garden near say a pile of dead leaves, the whiskers typically play a part in warning the dog of movement in case there is a snake or other reptile lurking in the dead leaves.
Tail is essential for dogs to navigate in water when they swim or play. It also helps them to balance when they run.

Docking dogs tails is an un-necessary fad, an inhuman practice and a nasty thing to do to a poor little puppy.

I have had a Dobermann in the past and a Weimaraner - traditionally people dock these breeds tails but I ve never subscribed to this "bloody" practice and I cant stand the idea of doing something like this - just imagine, if some so-called "higher authority" were to decide to chop the little fingers off from our hands - how would we feel?

Quote:
Old 29th March 2010, 12:35   #1047
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Please dont get a pet dog if there is no one at home when you and your spouse are out at work
It is completely unfair on the dog.
And I would go so far as to say dont get a large dog if you live in a flat - dogs need space and exercise and companionship - they will be miserable if they are alone and if confined to a flat.
Imagine yourself in solitary confinement and you will understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I have a similar query as rocky's but I guess I am even in a worse situation.
I have had dogs at my parents place all along while I was living with them.
Now when I have moved to bangalore I am missing the company of my pet.
Both me and my better half are working so I am really confused whether we can really bring in a puppy now.But I have waited almost for the past 4 years but still not able to find a 24x7 maid to be at home in our absence.

I understand that its very cruel to leave the puppy at home while we are going to office in the morning.We usually come back by 8 pm only and hence the pal would have to be alone almost 8 to 9 hours.
Me and my better half really want to get one.

My neighbours who also have had a regular office routine like me had brought in a golden retriver pup last year and they used to leave it at home.And now the dude is all grown up and waits eagerly for their owners to return home.They seem one happy family now.
They say that I can also leave my pup, if i get one, at home alone with some food and water around for the pup.

I know many pet lovers will want to smack me up but trust me I just love dogs.I would never want to hurt them.

So wanted opinions from pet loving buddies of this forum as to what should I do.Can I go ahead and get one lab pup? Is it safe for the pup to be at home all alone with no one around?Will he panic??I am really apprehensive but have no patience to wait further as I know things would always be the same and if it goes this way I will never be able to have my own pal.
Guidance
Old 29th March 2010, 12:38   #1048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i saw a strange thing yesterday. i was walking back home yesterday when i saw a group of dogs (mostly male) fighting over / attacking another dog over something. i thought perhaps another dog strayed in from another locality. then to my surprize, i saw a cat trying to hide by a dog (female) and the female dog was trying to protect it with all its might.
That's very odd - probably the dog & the cat grew up together. Did the cat survive?

We had a couple of smart kittens in Mysore. They used to play outside our compound wall on the street. But whenever a dog approached them, they would climb up a tree and sleep on the branches till the dog gets bored and walks away.

But once, when a large street dog was waiting under the tree for the kittens to come down, the mother cat ambushed the dog from the side. It chased it down the street for 50 metres and bit the dog's legs. The dog yelped and ran away - and we never saw that dog on our street again

Our cat was a big local rowdy!
Old 29th March 2010, 13:09   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Meet the rock stars of our home.
Official names . Bruno & Dudley.
Jay, Your dudley, looks very similar to my 'caeser'. He was with us for more than 10 years before he went to the sky. Lovely Dog. A cross breed with good hunting skills.
what a terrific rat catcher he was, let him loose when the rats come in home and there's no escape.

I do not have much photos and your post brought back old memories. Thanks dude.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:25   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please dont get a pet dog if there is no one at home when you and your spouse are out at work
It is completely unfair on the dog.
And I would go so far as to say dont get a large dog if you live in a flat - dogs need space and exercise and companionship - they will be miserable if they are alone and if confined to a flat.
Imagine yourself in solitary confinement and you will understand.
Thanks Shankar.
Point noted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks