Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:52   #1141
BHPian

Hi Alter_Ego,

I had just been to the HSR layout park that I mentioned in my previous post. Looks like they've put up a notice board,which probably says pet dogs not allowed. The park has not yet been officially "inaugurated" by a VIP, so I guess that's why no one bothered till now. I didn't read the notice board, since I got in from the far side entrance (with my 2 dogs) and we hung around there. Since my dogs cannot read English, we pretended not to have noticed the notice. So I guess one would just have to find another, under-construction park in the meanwhile.

EDIT:
By the way, I also noticed that there seems to be a T-Bhpian living in the lane behind mine in HSR 6th sector. Both the cars have a t-bhp sticker. There are also 2 labradors there which I notice when I take my dogs for a walk. If you're reading this thread, hello to you, mate. We could all have a mini-t-bhp dog meet in HSR layout.

Last edited by sidkun : 3rd May 2010 at 11:56. Reason: Saying hello to fellow dog owning t-bhpian
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:13   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Hi Alter_Ego,

I had just been to the HSR layout park that I mentioned in my previous post. Looks like they've put up a notice board,which probably says pet dogs not allowed. The park has not yet been officially "inaugurated" by a VIP, so I guess that's why no one bothered till now. I didn't read the notice board, since I got in from the far side entrance (with my 2 dogs) and we hung around there. Since my dogs cannot read English, we pretended not to have noticed the notice. So I guess one would just have to find another, under-construction park in the meanwhile.

EDIT:
By the way, I also noticed that there seems to be a T-Bhpian living in the lane behind mine in HSR 6th sector. Both the cars have a t-bhp sticker. There are also 2 labradors there which I notice when I take my dogs for a walk. If you're reading this thread, hello to you, mate. We could all have a mini-t-bhp dog meet in HSR layout.
Darn it Do not worry.If we all take our dogs to that park and show them that they behave much better than the so called humans people will realise that they are fretting unnecessary.

But I would need another month to take them out.As of now they are strictly prohibited from going outside.

And please someone tell me how to potty train them.As of now my whole house seems like a sh!tyard
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:38   #1143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ranjan - I will PM you the name of the CUPA trustee.

Spitfire - going by the later posts on this thread, please do not precipitate any issue with these type of people.
it will cause un-necessary heartache, feuding etc and frankly being a working person Im sure you dont have the time for all that.
I ve seen plenty of the same ilk in many parts of Bangalore.
the trouble is they have lots of money, big ego, very low sense of values and near nil education level (in the true sense of the word). Better to make a polite approach with some scientific backup like a vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ranjan, PM Shankar Balan to get the details about the CUPA person he knows. Try and see whether he can act.

The rest lets turn up at this persons house in our Jeeps. He would get a fright of his life. We can ask him to give away the dog for a small sum. But we need to get someone to adopt him first.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:12   #1144
BHPian

Chronicles of Sarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post

He is Majestic. How old is he ?
Sarja is 6.5 years old now.
Very loving dog, doesn't loose his temper while with the family, but equally ferocious while at the gates, specially with the postmans & couriers

We had an incident while we were away: a courier guy wanted to deliver a package, rung the bell at the gate, not realising that nobody's at home. Sarja as usual must have created quite a racket.
The courier guy left a "missed you - package waiting to be picked up" note in our letter box.
On that note was handwritten by the courier fellow - DANGER DOG!

On coming home that evening, reading the note, we had quite a laugh
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 08:15   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
And please someone tell me how to potty train them.As of now my whole house seems like a sh!tyard
Well, potty training can be fun and at the same time painful. Let me tell you how my wife did the same for my pug. As per her, there are various methodologies to give training but the one that she followed is as follows. Disclaimer : It worked for us but then may or not work for you (smiley, smiley ,smiley). Ok, I found a way to bypass the smiley limit.

Coming to the point,
step 1 : use the words No and stop very often to your pet. make him understand that these words means he shouldn't do what is going to do at that moment. For eg, if your pet is about to bite your chair or a cloth, keep on repeating No or stop , which ever you prefer. This teaching makes sure that you can control your pet.

Step 2 : keep a news paper in your balcony or where ever you like to have the potty training. Take your pet to this paper and then start chanting the mantra "potty, potty, potty".
Normally, first few days, your pup will be only biting the paper, Here is where you can make use of the words no and stop which you learned in step 1.

Step 3 : Make it a habit to take your pup to this newspaper and make him do his potty there by repeating the mantra that I mentioned above.

Step 4 : Once he adjusts to this mantra, you can either replace the news paper with a tray filled with sand (as dogs like to do theit potty in sand). Keep repeating the mantra here also.

Step 5 : Once the pup is comfortable with the potty in this sand filled tray, you can start taking him to a toilet in your house and make him do the potty there (again same mantra works here)

Step 6 : This is the final step. Stop him from doing the potty in your toilet and start taking him out on a regular time. Make him do potty outside (when you take him for walk)
This steps teaches him how to control his potty rush and wait till you take him out.

The above mentioned steps are for potty. You can repeat the same steps above for No1 but then only change is, the mantra to be repeated is "shoo shoo, shoo shoo" instead of potty potty

Hope this helps anyone who is struggling to have his pet potty trained.
Old 4th May 2010, 08:42   #1146
BHPian

@joecherian... LOL i like the mantra..

@Alter_Ego. my advice to you is keep an eye on the pup. whenever he/she is ready for the potty, rush to her and take it outside to. this is the way i have trained my dog. it hardly takes few weeks for your pup to understand that potty has to be done outside and it will make gestures or hold it till you take it outside..
Old 4th May 2010, 09:53   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Well, potty training can be fun and at the same time painful. Let me tell you how my wife did the same for my pug. As per her, there are various methodologies to give training but the one that she followed is as follows. Disclaimer : It worked for us but then may or not work for you (smiley, smiley ,smiley). Ok, I found a way to bypass the smiley limit.

Hope this helps anyone who is struggling to have his pet potty trained.
Thanks Joe the sand tray idea seems really nice.And will try this potty and shoo mantra on both the pups.The problem is there are 2 and both of them are unpredictable.
And the golden retriever has the habbit of doing it on the mattress only.
He feels the marble floor is costly to maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
@joecherian... LOL i like the mantra..

@Alter_Ego. my advice to you is keep an eye on the pup. whenever he/she is ready for the potty, rush to her and take it outside to. this is the way i have trained my dog. it hardly takes few weeks for your pup to understand that potty has to be done outside and it will make gestures or hold it till you take it outside..
Yeah even I would like to rush them outside but the problem is they are just a month old and the vet advised me not to take them outside because of infection and not to mention my stray pets(whom i feed some parle g at night) waiting to tear the pups out.
And the nail in the coffin is that my appartment is on the second floor.By the time I reach the ground floor the task has been executed

Also friends the vet has advised me to continue feeding only cerelac to the pups.But I am a bit apprehensive as both of them have teeth and always want to chew.I was really thinking that I should start feeding them some dry food items too.
Kindly let me know whether its right at this stage and if yes then what should I start with?
Old 4th May 2010, 10:16   #1148
BHPian

@Alter_Ego. ok if the pups are not vaccinated it is not advised to take it out. I think after Vaccination you can take your pup outside in a park or an open ground to make the potty. you can do this in early morning and late in evening, if possible in the afternoons. make sure it does potty before you take them back home.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:18   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Alter,

initially they are not matured that much, but i have a small trick which will be difficult to explain, but i can help your dogs in training for a Potty.

But they will be only learning once they are 60 days and above.

just ring me i can explain how to avoid your entire house from becoming the sh!tyard
Old 4th May 2010, 10:27   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Also friends the vet has advised me to continue feeding only cerelac to the pups.But I am a bit apprehensive as both of them have teeth and always want to chew.I was really thinking that I should start feeding them some dry food items too.
Kindly let me know whether its right at this stage and if yes then what should I start with?
I will suggest that feed only Cerelac, for 2 months, along with that you can give them some sought of Biscuits powder mixed with milk and Cerelac, with this you can give them only 2 tripthin Biscuits which you get them in the Pharmacy stores.

after 60 days you can start off giving the rice grinded(slightly) mix with milk or curd. they will love to have it.

they will like to have it.

what are the intervals you are feeding them.

P.S: don't give the Tripthin Biscuits simultaneously.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:02   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi Alter,

initially they are not matured that much, but i have a small trick which will be difficult to explain, but i can help your dogs in training for a Potty.

But they will be only learning once they are 60 days and above.

just ring me i can explain how to avoid your entire house from becoming the sh!tyard
Expect a call from me soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
@Alter_Ego. ok if the pups are not vaccinated it is not advised to take it out. I think after Vaccination you can take your pup outside in a park or an open ground to make the potty. you can do this in early morning and late in evening, if possible in the afternoons. make sure it does potty before you take them back home.
Both have been vaccinated.The next shot they have to take is this month end.But taking them out is real difficult as there are lots of stray dogs outside and these cuties start shivering the moment they see any of them.They shiver like a tuning fork
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
I will suggest that feed only Cerelac, for 2 months, along with that you can give them some sought of Biscuits powder mixed with milk and Cerelac, with this you can give them only 2 tripthin Biscuits which you get them in the Pharmacy stores.

after 60 days you can start off giving the rice grinded(slightly) mix with milk or curd. they will love to have it.

they will like to have it.

what are the intervals you are feeding them.

P.S: don't give the Tripthin Biscuits simultaneously.
I feed them once in the morning and then keep 2 bowls full of cerelac at home while I am at office and then in the evening if they have finished the whole stuff then I feed them only only at night after lots of exercise and games on the terrace.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:28   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Wow guys, even I am feeling like getting a lab. I always loved dogs but as a typical middle class staying in apartment never bothered about it. Now my wifey always ask me if we can have a lab. She also loves dogs. The problem is, we both work so theres nobody at home from 9am - 8pm. I dont want my dog to feel neglected and dont want to leave the poor soul alone at home. Another issue is, I have 2 bhk flat without any balcony. Is it big enough for a lab? Let me know your experience with labs and having them in an apartment.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:36   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Wow guys, even I am feeling like getting a lab. I always loved dogs but as a typical middle class staying in apartment never bothered about it. Now my wifey always ask me if we can have a lab. She also loves dogs. The problem is, we both work so theres nobody at home from 9am - 8pm. I dont want my dog to feel neglected and dont want to leave the poor soul alone at home. Another issue is, I have 2 bhk flat without any balcony. Is it big enough for a lab? Let me know your experience with labs and having them in an apartment.
FyI even me and my wife both are working and ours is also a 2 BHK.
That was the sole reason for getting 2 pups instead of one.
But I leave office a little late around 10-11 and my wife gets home by 6.We have worked out a schedule like that.And the 6-7 hours the pups play among themselves.But after we get back we ensure that we are with them till 12 in the night after which they are too tired to play and resign themselves to their cozy beds and doze off.We again join them early morning by 6 and off they go to the terrace to play till 8.

My neighbours too have a golden retriever but they keep him locked for 9 to 10 hours alone but that guy takes it quite well though i feel its a bit cruel.But that dude I guess has adjusted to it.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:02   #1154
BHPian

@Alter_Ego.. street dogs are there in my place to.. i always follow a trick to scare the street dogs.. whenever you see a street dog in aggressive mood, just bend down and act if you are picking a stone see the reaction on the street dog, it runs or back up for sure. i too feed the street dog daily with biscuits and they are friendly with my dog and it is a kind of body guards for my dog whenever i go out with my dog.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:36   #1155
BHPian

Hey Alter_ego,

In case you're interested, I had purchased a set of "potty training pads (pack of 20)" and a bottle of "potty training spray" from Paws, the pet store. I never got around to using it and now my dogs are big enough to not **** all over the house all the time. In case you would like to purchase these unopened items from me, let me know.
Caveat Emptor: Since I never used either of the items, cannot give any inputs on how well they work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks