Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 11:41   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

I guess vaccination is big headache for most of them here and I'm no different.

In my case, the vet used to come home to administer the vaccine to our GSD. Scooby (our GSD), somehow used to sense the vet's arrival and used run and hide in some nook of the house. When we did find him, it took one hell of an effort to bring him out to the open, even getting bitten in the process. I had to literally pin him down like a wrestler and hold his back open, while my mom would calm him down. Man, GSDs are strong
Old 30th May 2011, 13:55   #1892
Senior - BHPian

My Lab loves going to the vet. He will stand quietly while the vet administers the injections, and ignore the jab. Once when the vet wanted, he climbed the table on his own. I guess it depends on their temperament.

Another deviation is that he loves loud noise. During Diwali, he will be running around barking when ever the crackers are let off. Once I even took him to the streets and he would not come home till the crackers stopped going off at our neighbours.

At times I feel that he has genes of the "war dogs" used during WW1 & WW2 for battle field messages and other sundry jobs.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:57   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
taking my mother-in-law's cat to the vet was a painful endeavor - literally! she would start clawing at everything the moment she saw the doctor. after a few visits she became calm and would just angrily purr when the doctor was administrating the vaccine

forget about taking to the vet - giving her a bath (when she really dirtied herself) was like taking the Devil to the Church!! the first time we gave her a bath she dug her claws in my palm and then yanked it off!! couldn't ride my bike for a few days!
Tell me about it I took my 5 month old kitten to the vet a few days back when she hadn't had food and water for 3 days, she had become skinny and weak, She was pinned down by 3 people so that the doc could give her an injection, Later she was wrapped in a jacket and put in the car, Whew it was a hard task!

BTW, What vaccines has your cat got? I still need to take my cat for her first set of vaccines.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:06   #1894
Team-BHP Support

Guys, she has entered her 4 th year and the vet drops at our home for the vaccination.

The problem is, my pet is super/hyper active, she senses everything from much before and creates such a scene that you have to let it go.

I am toying with the idea of vaccinating myself when she is sleeping or at any other opportunity.

How easy/difficult it is to take your pet out for a drive? She hates it when we all decide to go out together. She stays back with a maid & a care-taker but doesn't fancy them much. As per them she doesn't sleep much or just eats as much as required.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:08   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Tell me about it I took my 5 month old kitten to the vet a few days back when she hadn't had food and water for 3 days, she had become skinny and weak, She was pinned down by 3 people so that the doc could give her an injection, Later she was wrapped in a jacket and put in the car, Whew it was a hard task!

BTW, What vaccines has your cat got? I still need to take my cat for her first set of vaccines.
frankly i don't remember now; it was a while back. umm.. let's see - two installments of vaccination (2nd one after a month), yearly booster shots and some sort of vitamins i think.

it doesn't matter now. she's not with us anymore. she used to have habit of loafing around the neighborhood. one day she didn't come back. we searched for a her a long time, but didn't find her. i'm not a cat person (i'm pretty sure she hated me), but my wife and mother-in-law were devastated. will post a picture of her if i find one.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 22:42   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
frankly i don't remember now; it was a while back. umm.. let's see - two installments of vaccination (2nd one after a month), yearly booster shots and some sort of vitamins i think.

it doesn't matter now. she's not with us anymore. she used to have habit of loafing around the neighborhood. one day she didn't come back. we searched for a her a long time, but didn't find her. i'm not a cat person (i'm pretty sure she hated me), but my wife and mother-in-law were devastated. will post a picture of her if i find one.
here you go - fellas, this is Juno! she's not an Indian breed, even the Vet said so. the maid had found her on the roadside and brought her home to us.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-juno.jpg
Old 31st May 2011, 08:39   #1897
BHPian

Here is goldie the gsd. The photos are when she was 7 months and 8 months old respectively. She is pure bred german bloodline and quite heavy type
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-goldie7months.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-goldie8months.jpg  

Old 31st May 2011, 14:49   #1898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
here you go - fellas, this is Juno! she's not an Indian breed, even the Vet said so. the maid had found her on the roadside and brought her home to us.
Attachment 552892
Is there no way to find the lineage? She looks special
Old 31st May 2011, 15:02   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there no way to find the lineage? She looks special
yeah, she was special. we used to put up with her tantrums! we got her when she had barely opened her eyes. she was a little fur ball!

we've never been able to find her lineage - her mum most probably was abandoned by their family and either mated with a Indian breed or had a pure litter. the closest she resembles a Ragamuffin followed by Turkish Van. not sure though.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 31st May 2011 at 15:04.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:59   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... my wife and mother-in-law were devastated. will post a picture of her if i find one.
I know how they felt. I lost my cat a week ago, and I am as depressed as if I had lost a child.

Hardly a first time. Even over the past few years, she was the last survivor of a family of four, so you could say that loosing cats is something that I am accustomed to. Added to which, I was brought up in a houseful of small animals and taught to accept death as an inevitability, but, this time I am shattered.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:54   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know how they felt. I lost my cat a week ago, and I am as depressed as if I had lost a child.

Hardly a first time. Even over the past few years, she was the last survivor of a family of four, so you could say that loosing cats is something that I am accustomed to. Added to which, I was brought up in a houseful of small animals and taught to accept death as an inevitability, but, this time I am shattered.
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat buddy :( I think a new kitten can replace your memories :(
Old 31st May 2011, 20:16   #1902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think a new kitten can replace your memories
Thanks akshay, but no new cat, not yet.

My wife (who'd be very happy to live without a cat) says the same. I say I have to wait --- and one will come along and knock on our door soon enough, anyway.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:45   #1903
BHPian

Quote:

My wife (who'd be very happy to live without a cat) says the same. I say I have to wait --- and one will come along and knock on our door soon enough, anyway.
I think that is very true, My friend had two kittens which i used to keep them over at my house thrice a week, Unfortunately one of them died after swallowing a fish bone(which got stuck in the wind pipe) and the other one was killed by the stray dogs.

Exactly after a year, a kitten started loitering around my apartment and i decided to feed it, Right now she's my pet! Felt so good, It was like a rebirth of the dead kitten.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:46   #1904
BANNED

Quote:

Thad,
I can only empathize fully. Cats are like children. To me they are creatures perpetually stuck in an evolutionary/developmental phase (on the spiritual plane) of a child. In my perception, their legendary "selfishness" and behavior is actually very similar to and mimics the developing ego of a 3 to 8 year old child. And like children, their primary experience of receiving love is to be fed by their "Mum" (which is the owner). I don't see it as unhealthy selfishness at all!! Its the fearful and slinky strays that give this impression of selfishness to people who don't love cats in general, or having a cat one did not raise since childhood with the same care and affection one gives to our human counterparts.

My sympathies for your loss. Having a cat gives a somewhat similar satisfaction as parenting and the grief of loss can be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You did the right thing, ragul.
Thats a bad way to go, since i have faced the same with a cat i had adopted.

Ricci: natural order of things doesnt come into play in an unnatural environment.
dont preach something none of us, at least in this thread, would never do.
In a jungle, different story(i suppose that was your gist).
Thanks Mayyank. Too bad about your cat too! :(

And you are right about leaving the jungle law for the jungles.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 1st June 2011 at 15:49.
Old 1st June 2011, 20:15   #1905
Distinguished - BHPian

Akshay, I am glad to hear that you have a new adoptee.

Ragul, your analysis is true.

We began with a mother and four kittens. First to be lost was the mother, and there was a noticeable change of "mother focus" on to me. Second to be lost was one sister, who was the loner of the family anyway, so the impact was not greatly obvious.

That left one girl and one boy, who were both very much attached to each other, and to me. The boy was lost --- and the final, surviving girl then turned her "brother focus" onto me too.

Perhaps it was inevitable, with all this focus shifting, that the final loss would be the worst.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks