Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 20:48   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
F-15J Eagle, JASDF 1:72 scale, JC Wings
This is an awesome looking model. Detailing and markings are spot on. Congratulations. Goes well with your F-4EJ. Please post a pic of both of them together.

Japanese F-15s are famous for the colourful markings on them. Golden Eagle on the tail means it belongs to JASDF's 306th TFS.

Quote:

As you can see I have a soft spot for Japan. When I want to pick an American model I usually like buying that model in Japanese or Israeli or (post-WW2) German colours
I too really wish to add Israeli jets to my collection, specially an Israeli F-4E to compliment my Mirage IIICJ.
Old 13th June 2018, 23:08   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
This is an awesome looking model. Detailing and markings are spot on. Congratulations. Goes well with your F-4EJ. Please post a pic of both of them together.
Will do tomorrow :-)

Quote:
Japanese F-15s are famous for the colourful markings on them. Golden Eagle on the tail means it belongs to JASDF's 306th TFS.
Spot on. I am amazed at the intimate knowledge you have. I checked the box to confirm. I think you read about aircraft every day.

Quote:
I too really wish to add Israeli jets to my collection, specially an Israeli F-4E to compliment my Mirage IIICJ.
Talking of the Israelis I'll add the Kfir and the Skyhawk A-4 to the list.

The F-15 and the F-16 designs carried the distilled experience over Vietnam and ended up being aircraft that could fight a Vietnam style war as well as the conventional war expected with the Soviets.

Two more for your viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f15j-eagle-14.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f15j-eagle-8.jpg  

Old 15th June 2018, 05:54   #408
BHPian

Quote:
F-15J Eagle, JASDF 1:72 scale, JC Wings
Very nice and highly detailed. Its ironic how red circle on the once feared Zero in your earlier post is now found on the latest Western fighter aircraft.

Quote:

As you can see I have a soft spot for Japan.
As do I:

Hogan 1:200 Japan Airlines - JAL Boeing 747-446 JA8088

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180614_170131.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180614_170244.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180614_170149.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180614_170302.jpg

The Real Aircraft.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-0994963.jpg

The plane is more than 26 years old and is still in active service with Atlas Air.

Last edited by Foxbat : 15th June 2018 at 05:59.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:14   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sigh. And how beautiful is that piece of metal. I just love the minimalistic livery of JAL and Lufthansa. Your new bird looks terrific and handsome. You will need to build a new glass cabinet to accommodate all your big birds. Congratulations. We won't complain if you post a few more photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Very nice and highly detailed. Its ironic how red circle on the once feared Zero in your earlier post is now found on the latest Western fighter aircraft.
Yes. How times change within a lifetime. Who knows what Indo-China and Indo-US relations will be in 2047. The JASDF is quite a large force with over 700 aircraft and helicopters and most of them fast jets. This does not including prop trainers
Quote:
As do I
:-)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f15j-mix.jpg
The rising sun squadron with the Team BHP cup in matching colour. Coffee anyone?

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f15j-comparison.jpg
F-15J Eagle and F-4J Phantom. Both 1:72 scale. Note how much bigger the F-15 is compared to the F-4 which in itself is a rather large aircraft compared to a Sepecat Jaguar or MiG-21. Whatever one may feel about their military flexing the Americans sensibly always design large aircraft to create adequate and more space inside for avionics, sensors and most importantly future upgrades. In designing a fighter you could increase airframe weight by 2%, total internal volume by 10% and internal volume available for the fighting piece by 30%. Fighting piece here includes all the radars, sensors, nav-attack systems, other avionics, internal guns and ammo wells etc. My only regret with our Tejas is that it is a very tight aircraft with limited internal volume to accommodate future avionic add-ons.

The Rudra is coming along nicely. A photo below of work-in-progress. I am now determined to empty out my wife's jewelry box and get a Kiran HJT-16, the Tejas, the Ajeet, the HT-2 and finally a Deepak Trainer made too so that before I die I have models of all the major aircraft India designed. The Kiran order has been given. Production time is 3 months.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rudra-wip.jpg

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th June 2018 at 09:25.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:34   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Sigh. And how beautiful is that piece of metal.
It's actually a plastic model.

Quote:
The rising sun squadron with the Team BHP cup in matching colour. Coffee anyone?
All three models are highly detailed but no one can beat the legend and historical significance of the Zero.

Quote:
F-15J Eagle and F-4J Phantom. Both 1:72 scale. Note how much bigger the F-15 is compared to the F-4 which in itself is a rather large aircraft compared to a Sepecat Jaguar or MiG-21.
Your post had me confused as I thought both were of a similar size and I have seen both in real life a few times. I had to research a bit and found this to be true and your post below confirms that the Phantom is of a smaller scale:

Quote:
Bought this JASDF McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ Phantom from Mumbai airport. Diecast. Scale 1:80. Hogan.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20180614-10.02.59-pm.png

Looking forward to your custom made models, only ones in the world !

Last edited by Foxbat : 15th June 2018 at 10:55.
Old 15th June 2018, 11:17   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's actually a plastic model
I like plastic. Less strain on that glass pane and often equally good looking. We love models regardless.....
Quote:
....but no one can beat the legend and historical significance of the Zero.
The great contribution of the Zero A6M was the culture shock to the West that the only truly independent eastern nation could design something so much more maneuverable and fast climbing than anything the west had. Today it is hard to conceive how gripping was the hold of the myth of western superiority over eastern minds in the first half of the 20th century. In a different context - in 1904-05 when Japan defeated Russia in a naval & subsequently a land battle the news was like a shock wave that circled the earth. British administrators (who were great record keepers) noted that in a year's time the rural nomadic Masai tribesmen in Kenya knew that an Asian power had beaten a white one. And this before modern communication or radio.
Quote:
Your post had me confused as I thought both were of a similar size and I have seen both in real life a few times. I had to research a bit and found this to be true and your post below confirms that the Phantom is of a smaller scale:
Apologies for my incomplete inputs. You are correct in that both are about 63 feet in length. The differences for internal volume are three - (i) the wing 608 sq ft versus 503 sq ft and thicker so much more volume for fuel (ii) the thick Leading Edge Root Extensions (LERX) on the F-15 - again fuel & avionics in there. (iii) the big one - the F-15's engines (like the Marut) are spaced apart and a narrower fuselage lies between the two engines - that is where the real increase in volume comes.

Quote:
Looking forward to your custom made models, only ones in the world !
Thank you mate. I am getting corny in my retirement. While I was in full time business I gave away so many models there is no count. I thought it would go on forever. Now I preserve what I can buy.
Old 16th June 2018, 07:04   #412
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

I don't collect 1:500 scale models but when I saw that many Herpa diecast models were available on a website in a sale for $2-$3 each I couldn't resist
The smaller models are extremely small (1-1.5 inches) are not really not worth collecting in my opinion.

Here is the first of two batches:

Air France Boeing B 747-400 F-GITC
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_174216.jpg

Augsburg Airways De Havilland DHC-8-300 D-BEBA
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_175550.jpg

Bangkok Airways Aerospatiale / Aeritalia ATR-72 HS-PGH
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_175006.jpg

Pan American World Airways Boeing B 747SP N530PA "Clipper Mayflower"
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_174345.jpg
In my opinion the most awkward looking 747 variant, compared to the normal
747 variants. The SP stands for "Special Performance", it was made for long range flights with a shortened fuselage and different wings and tailplanes. Only 45 were built.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_174437.jpg

United Airlines (Clay Lacy Aviation) Douglas DC-3 N814CL
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_175237.jpg

Martinair Holland McDonnell Douglas MD-11 PH-MCU
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_173845.jpg

American Airlines Boeing B 747SP N602AA
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180615_173651.jpg
Old 16th June 2018, 10:29   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do tomorrow :-)
Thank you for sharing the photos. They look wonderful together. May be you should go looking for a JASDF F-104J Starfighter & F-2. That would make your JASDF supersonic interceptor set complete

Quote:
Spot on. I am amazed at the intimate knowledge you have. I checked the box to confirm. I think you read about aircraft every day.
Thank you, but no I don't read books daily. Aviation, especially military, is something I have been fascinated since I was a small kid. As I said earlier, that the knowledge is largely bookish. As with any subject that one is deeply in love with, one will never forget anything that he or she reads on that subject. The books I have read, its easy for me to recall from them and/or cross check with relevant sections in the books.

Another reason why I remember such details is because I am an avid flight simmer as well since my childhood. The ability to make mods in some of those flight sim titles meant you got to fly lots of different jets in them and that itself was a learning experience....the weapons and stations in which they carried, the squadrons that flew them and the markings, their historic relevance, aircraft serial numbers etc. Here is the F-15J mod from the now pretty much dead Flight Sim title - "Strike Fighters 2".
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f15jhd_02.jpg

Quote:

F-15J Eagle and F-4J Phantom. Both 1:72 scale.
Whenever I look that Zero of yours, it reminds me of the IJN aircraft take off scene from the movie Pearl Harbour with that Japanese themed soundtrack playing in the background.

The Hogan F-4EJ of yours is in a slightly smaller 1:80 scale compared to 1:72 of the JC Wings F-15. But yes, the F-15 is slightly bigger than the F-4 was.

Speaking of the F-4, I will be adding another F-4 to my collection soon. Its not as famous as Col. Olds, Capt. Steve Ritchie or Lt Cunningham's F-4s, but still an F-4 with a bit of history.

Quote:
The Rudra is coming along nicely. A photo below of work-in-progress. I am now determined to empty out my wife's jewelry box and get a Kiran HJT-16, the Tejas, the Ajeet, the HT-2 and finally a Deepak Trainer made too so that before I die I have models of all the major aircraft India designed. The Kiran order has been given. Production time is 3 months.
That Rudra looks fantastic and is total drool maal. Can't wait to see it in the finished state. I like idea of the planes what you wish to get made but Mrs Narayan would probably ask you to find sleeping space among your models

Quote:

The plane is more than 26 years old and is still in active service with Atlas Air.
Amazingly well detailed model.

Quote:
I don't collect 1:500 scale models but when I saw that many Herpa diecast models were available on a website in a sale for $2-$3 each I couldn't resist

The smaller models are extremely small (1-1.5 inches) are not really not worth collecting in my opinion.
No one would be able to resist. Despite their small size, they make good collection pieces.

Quote:

Pan American World Airways Boeing B 747SP N530PA "Clipper Mayflower"

In my opinion the most awkward looking 747 variant, compared to the normal
747 variants. The SP stands for "Special Performance", it was made for long range flights with a shortened fuselage and different wings and tailplanes. Only 45 were built.

American Airlines Boeing B 747SP N602AA
The 747SP has always fascinated me. Iran Air was the last civilian airline operator of the 747SP. They flew the aircraft on the Mumbai-Tehran route and I was lucky enough to see them twice or thrice at CSIA.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 16th June 2018 at 10:46.
Old 16th June 2018, 19:53   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They look cute all the same and the bright side is that they occupy little space on the shelf.

Quote:
Thank you for sharing the photos. They look wonderful together. May be you should go looking for a JASDF F-104J Starfighter & F-2. That would make your JASDF supersonic interceptor set complete
Great minds think alike.....the hunt for a neat F-2 is on!!
Quote:
Speaking of the F-4, I will be adding another F-4 to my collection soon. Its not as famous as Col. Olds, Capt. Steve Ritchie or Lt Cunningham's F-4s, but still an F-4 with a bit of history.
Looking forward to that.
Quote:
That Rudra looks fantastic and is total drool maal. Can't wait to see it in the finished state.
Lot of hard work co-ordinating with the maker, getting hold of line drawings etc. But worth it for my patriotic fervor.
Quote:
I like idea of the planes what you wish to get made but Mrs Narayan would probably ask you to find sleeping space among your models
I am working on her to allow me to make a new cabinet in one of the passageways. Failing which I have announced a new cabinet will be bought and placed in my study - the only room where her writ doesn't run.

Guys, soon arriving are two Soviet bombers......
Old 17th June 2018, 07:05   #415
BHPian

Quote:

Guys, soon arriving are two Soviet bombers......
Hoping for a Bear, Blinder, Backfire or Blackjack in that order
Old 17th June 2018, 10:31   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hoping for a Bear, Blinder, Backfire or Blackjack in that order
After knowing Narayan sir's penchant for rare and unique models, my guesses would be something even more exotic.....a Beagle, Badger, Bison or a Bull even.... . Whatever they may be, I sure look forward to see them eagerly.
Old 17th June 2018, 12:00   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After knowing Narayan sir's penchant for rare and unique models, my guesses would be something even more exotic.....a Beagle, Badger, Bison or a Bull even.... . Whatever they may be, I sure look forward to see them eagerly.
Beagle, Bison, Badger or Bull, alas alas! Sigh! Models are made for them Western audiences - very hard to come by these iconic aircraft. But then who knows what lurks around the corner. The Chinese flew/built the Beagle & Badger too.

PS: our car loving BHPians would be wondering what code language are we communicating in :-)
Old 18th June 2018, 17:11   #418
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

1:1000 Scale Diecast USS Iowa (BB-61). The lead ship of the Iowa Class of battleships (4 were completed and all 4 survive as museum ships) she was still in the US Naval register as late as 2006 as a part of the reserve fleet although she was launched in 1942. This model depicts the ship as she appeared in 1942 with a main armament of 9 x 16 inch guns and 57,000 tons maximum displacement. She was modernized many times and later carried anti-ship as well as cruise missiles.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180618_162203.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180618_162225.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180618_162245.jpg

Alongside Yamato and Bismarck. Although all the models are from the same manufacturer, Bismarck is way more detailed followed by Yamato for some reason. Was surprised to learn that Iowa is 7 feet longer than Yamato but had 14,000 tons lower displacement. Probably due to the fact Yamato is 20 feet wider, had heavier armor protection and higher caliber guns.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180618_162425.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180618_162744.jpg

The ship is currently a museum in Los Angeles harbor and I had a chance to visit in the summer of 2016.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160807_134901.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160807_122048.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160807_123645.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160807_131020.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160807_134413.jpg
Old 18th June 2018, 17:51   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1:1000 Scale Diecast USS Iowa (BB-61). The lead ship of the Iowa Class of battleships ....Alongside Yamato and Bismarck. Although all the models are from the same manufacturer, Bismarck is way more detailed followed by Yamato for some reason.....
The ship is currently a museum in Los Angeles harbor and I had a chance to visit in the summer of 2016.
A thumping congratulations to you Foxbat on your new acquisition and on now being the proud master of all three of the most famous battleship class of WW-II. The USS Iowa looks beautiful and full of lovely detail. She looks handsome and powerful which is what she was. Congratulations once again. More photos will be eagerly received. - Narayan

For the interest of our readers below is an iconic photo of USS Iowa firing her main armament
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-800pxbb61_uss_iowa_bb61_broadside_usn.jpg  

Old 19th June 2018, 05:14   #420
BHPian

Quote:
A thumping congratulations to you Foxbat on your new acquisition and on now being the proud master of all three of the most famous battleship class of WW-II. The USS Iowa looks beautiful and full of lovely detail. She looks handsome and powerful which is what she was. Congratulations once again. More photos will be eagerly received. - Narayan
Thank you Narayan, as stated by you many times I will soon have to buy a new cabinet. The ships currently share space with a few A340s, A320 and a Concorde.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180619_051003.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks