Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:38   #226
BANNED

Wanted to take my kid for the Disney 3D movie UP, but sadly none of Bangalore theaters showing the 3D format.

Every place its a 2D show, anyone anywhere knows which theatre shows 3D format
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:07   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

There is also another store called Channel 9 in that area. Google for that as well.

Its somewhere in 4th block:

Cinema Paradiso on Google
Great found the place. Thanks for the note
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:35   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

You seem to have a preference for French cinema and yet no mention of JeanLuc Godard? or Truffaut? Will they be part of "more to follow... " ?
Truffaut - the woman next door and the soft skin!
Have some more Truffaut on order from Amazon, but they take a long time to reach, up to 4 weeks. Is there a better place to order online in India?
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:46   #229
BHPian

Good DVD libararies in Bangalore

Its excellent that we're listing out all the great movies here. But could members also list out good DVD lending libraries in Bangalore? (We could also list out other cities here)

I know Cinema Paradiso in Koramangala and Big Flix in various parts. Is there any good ones in the vicinity of MG Road, Domlur, Banaswadi, Kalyan Nagar etc. (I know I'm being selfish here and asking only for my localities ). But all places are welcome.

PS: If a post already exists, please guide me to it.

Sai
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:03   #230
BHPian

I just watched "12 angry men" on WB, Henry Fonda plays the quiet architect jury panelist, who with his quiet, deliberate and intense demeanor manages to support his argument of reasonable doubt in the case of a young man who is under trial for the murder of his own father. The movie was copied scene for scene by Bollywood in the 80's as "Ek ruka hua faisla", starring Pankaj Kapur and other stalwarts. I just realised that our version of the movie was simply superb, the individual performances in the Hindi version were completely awesome. I'm going to look for a DVD of both versions for my library.

Cheers,
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:11   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Truffaut - the woman next door and the soft skin!
Have some more Truffaut on order from Amazon, but they take a long time to reach, up to 4 weeks. Is there a better place to order online in India?
Dont know really. I'll check with the guys at Cinema Paradiso where they source their DVDs from.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:14   #232
Senior - BHPian

DVD Express in Aundh, Pune has a very good collection of World cinema. For those members in Pune, this is a great place to hire from.
PS: James Berardinelli also has a very good list of his top 100 movies on the net. With reasons why he has picked each of them.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd September 2009 at 19:23.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:26   #233
BHPian

Sawyer, I have been looking for a good dvd rental for world cinema (specifically Spanish movies). I will have to check out the DVD Express in Aundh then.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:05   #234
Senior - BHPian

Bergman Bergman Kurosawa

Saw two more Ingmar Bergman movies, and one Akira Kurosawa movie:

1. The Silence
This is the third of part of Bergman's faith trilogy. First two being Through a Glass Darkly and Winter Light, both of which i have not seen yet. This is the story of two sisters and a child staying in a town whose language they dont understand. Elder sister is suffering from sickness (probably TB) and is also jealous of her younger sister who is still pretty and is able to find a lover in the new town. The younger sister is full of spite for her elder sister because the elder one has always been telling her whats wrong and whats right. The child is the glue that kind of binds them both. This movie is another version of Cries and Whispers but not as chilling. It also has some hints of Persona in it. Incidentally, the main claim to fame for this movie among the masses was that it was the first one to literally blow a hole in the wall of Swedish censorship. After Bergman's death, Woody Allen commented about the film that if you consider the two sisters to be one person actually, the movie takes on a much deeper meaning.

2. Hour of the Wolf
This movie comes quite close to the general definition that applies to all movies of the "horror" genre. And yet, Bergman manages to make this movie more than just a horror film. The thing i am starting to notice about Bergman's movies is that every repeat viewing of his films reveals something so astonishing that you wonder how you missed it earlier. This one is about an artist and his wife who live on a deserted lonely island and the husband tells her about his personal daemons that haunt him.

Also, credit must be given to the man behind the camera in most of Bergman's films, who is responsible for bringing to reality the director's vision. That person is Sven Nykvist. Another genius, IMO.

3. Yojimbo
Aha. This is where Clint Eastwood learned how to be cool!! The movie is the story of an out of work samurai who walks into a town which is torn apart by two warring criminal gangs. He plays them against each other to bring peace to the town, at quite a cost to his personal interests.
Incidentally, Clint Eastwood's Fistfull of Dollars was a direct lift from this movie and Kurosawa successfully sued them for it as well!!
Hmmm... Hollywood also copies
Old 25th September 2009, 12:55   #235
BHPian

Hollywood indeed copies (or remakes) most of their best stuff from foreign language films. ;-)
Old 25th September 2009, 13:45   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Hollywood indeed copies (or remakes) most of their best stuff from foreign language films. ;-)
Yeah. Another category that Hollywood has shamelessly copied from is Japanese horror movies.

If Hollywood can copy, then it is indeed no big deal if Bollywood also copies.

EDIT: Technically speaking though, Fistful of Dollars was actually first an Italian movie, later released in US.

Last edited by amitoj : 25th September 2009 at 13:53.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:01   #237
JVH
Senior - BHPian

One Wonderful Sunday - Akira Kurosawa

Great movie and great performances from a predictable story line and minimal cast. The lead actors showcase great acting skills and their emotional expressions are to die for. Hung and Cheong are poor lovers who meet every Sunday to have good times together. The movie is about one particular Sunday where both of them have around 40 odd yens to spend for the whole day. Everytime they try to spend, they get cheated or duped and one just feels sorry for them. The theme of the movie is that nothing seems to be working for them yet they try their best to smile and not have rotten luck have its say to spoil their day.

The last scenes where Hung plays an orchestra with no one in particular and the way Cheung begs the empty audience to feel for them is mindblowing. Truly a masterclass. Like all Kurosawa movies, a must watch.

Colour of Paradise - Majid Majidi

Boy! How could I have delayed watching this movie? The movie is very touching. Its about the livelihood of a poor family comprising of an old granny, a miserable father, 2 young beautiful girls and a blind young kid.

The Father is pi@#ed off that he has no one to protect him and is in fact crippled by looking after a blind boy who is no use to him. He gets weird ideas to get rid of him and even plans to remarry to have someone to look after him and his daughters. Granny and the girls love the blind young man and he absolutely adores them as well. But the Father has a different say. Sends the young man to learn carpentry thus dividing the family. Granny falls ill and dies, the Father's marriage plans fall apart and thus things go all wrong all the way upto the end.

Brilliant direction, brilliant cinematography (set in lush green hills), and needless to say, great performances as expected from a Majidi starcast.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:05   #238
BHPian

Sawyer, I did visit DVD Express in Aundh and in 3 days I watched 3 films ;-)
80Rs per DVD is a bit steep (50 at my usual shop) but the fact that he has a big collection of world cinema has definitely tempted me..

Padre Nuestro (Our father) - Language Spanish - a Mexican illegal immigrant who is in search of his father in New York. What happens in reality is a case of switched identities and his struggle to stay alive and find his father. Very dramatic climax which some people who like nice happy endings may not like. Great acting too and a good movie IMO.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:12   #239
Senior - BHPian

Abhay, I guess one can only pick up what is not available elsewhere from him in that case. At this time there is also a sale going on at Landmark if you want to have some keepers from the World Cinema genre. At a 20% discount, some of the titles are a very good deal. In addition, there are other offers on too - I picked up The Birds, All the Presidents Men, and Dirty Harry on DVD for Rs 500 in total. Just one example of a combination.

Last edited by Sawyer : 29th September 2009 at 14:15.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:44   #240
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to know more about Mr. Bergman, the man and hit upon a few interviews of him in youtube. It makes for a great watch and I wasn't surprised by the striking similarity of his life and his movies.

He felt strongly about death, silence, grudges and the psychology of women which are very much the themes in his movies. Do watch the documentaries on youtube.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks