Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 08:26   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

R.I.P. Steeroid (Santhosh Gopalan)

Team,

It is with profound sadness that I'm creating this thread. One of our seniormost BHPians - Steeroid - passed away yesterday. Wouldn't like to share any further details to protect his / family's privacy, but it was due to an unexpected illness.

I remember meeting Steeroid for the first time in 2006 @ The Turf Club in Mumbai. He'd been sweet enough to carry along a Ferrari ashtray for me (which I still have). We interacted several times over the years and one of my strongest memories was him offering to help Team-BHP when I was paying the server bills for the initial couple of years. I didn't take him up on the offer, but I did tell how much I appreciated that gesture. He called me out of the blue and simply said "how can I help?".

It was typical of his nature and anyone who knows him will remember him as being a very helpful fellow. Big-hearted, very strong headed & mad about cars.

May God bless his soul & give his family the strength to bear this loss. My heartfelt condolences.

R.I.P. Steeroid (Santhosh Gopalan)-1.jpg

R.I.P. Steeroid (Santhosh Gopalan)-2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2019 at 10:48.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 08:48   #2
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Steeroid (Santhosh Gopalan)

May his soul rest in peace and God give strength to his family to come out of this loss.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:50   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really shocking news. I remember Steeroid being very active on the forum in the initial years. And yes, a very helpful person and crazy about cars. May his soul rest in peace and deepest condolences to all his close ones.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th July 2019 at 11:04. Reason: Corrected typo -> 'close'
Old 24th July 2019, 08:52   #4
BHPian

Our prayers to the departed soul and wishing God gives the family the support required to bear this great loss.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to teambhp, his contribution to the auto community will be on the forum as long as the forum lasts.

@GTO, can we have a special badge of honor or some other gesture for the teambhp handles of our late friends?
Old 24th July 2019, 08:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Met Steer at the Delhi auto expo and partied with him that week. Great guy, very warm and humble.

Hope the family gathers enough strength to cope with the loss. RIP Steer!
Old 24th July 2019, 09:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

A big loss for the forum. RIP Sir, and my heartfelt condolences to the family. :(
Old 24th July 2019, 09:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear the news.
RIP
Old 24th July 2019, 09:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Really sad news :(. May his soul RIP
Old 24th July 2019, 09:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

R.I.P Steeroid.

Didn't get to know him much personally, but he was one of the first BHPians I've met in person, back in 2007 during BHPian Jkdas' wedding. Sad to hear this news. Deepest condolences to the family.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

When I heard the news yesterday, I went numb for few minutes, the stomach was in knots. How could someone so full of life, so full of energy, simply cease to exist? I spent the next few minutes reflecting and talking to mutual friends and acquaintances, trying to come to terms with this terrible... terrible news.

While we were not close friends, our association went very long. We both joined the forum very early in 2005 within few weeks of each other. I was at his very first BHP meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Team BHP members at TGIF Bangalore last Sunday. This is the first time that I have actually met up with members of any virtual forum that I have been a participant in, and it was an occassion to remember....
Met up with Samurai, Jaggu, a friend of Jaggu's, Iceman, Psycho and Ajmat. Thank you for the occassion, guys - it was amazing to meet with an entirely new set of people and feel at ease almost immediately.
After that we kept meeting by chance or plan in all kind of places and states, which had nothing to do with our businesses, but our common interest in cars. My last meeting with him was in the first RFC (2014), where neither one of us was a participant, but we were there anyway.

He has visited my home in Manipal with his family, met my parents, and has had home cooked dinner. Once when he visited my office, he made very useful suggestion to a carpenter who was building a cabinet. That cabinet is still being used, and the suggestion he made, is very useful even now. And I have visited his native town (Kulappully) with my family many times, even met his parents couple times. He even created a Team-BHP account for his son, whom many of us have watched grow from a little boy to adulthood over the FB feed.

And suddenly one day... Steeroid is gone! I still don't know how to come to terms with this. The knot in the stomach is not going away. I wish all the strength to his family to cope with this terrible tragedy.

The following is the only photo I have, where both of us are present. It was taken after the GoKart Meet at Patel's Inn in early 2006.

R.I.P. Steeroid (Santhosh Gopalan)-dsc02316.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 24th July 2019 at 11:05.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:52   #12
BHPian

Terrible news, a bit shocked to be honest. I am used to seeing and upvoting Steeroid's posts and this news just feels.. so sudden. RIP Santhosh and may your family and loved ones have the strength to go through this difficult time.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is just numbing!! Don't have words to say. He was a very knowledgeable and I always made it a point to read his points and posts as they made most sense.

Wow!! God truly is cruel or should I say he is nitpicking and taking away the best of us. These past few years have been painful. Every year has been painful.

Rest in peace dear Steeroid!!
Old 24th July 2019, 10:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear of Steeroid’s demise. May God give strength to his loved ones to bear this huge loss. RIP.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Deeply saddened to learn of the death of a thorough gentleman whom I've known and often interacted with, though never met, since 2009. May he rest in peace, and his family find the strength to cope with the loss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks