Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 11:25   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying from AliExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Yes.They have a banner on the landing page itself stating that they can't do any sales in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
This is what I am getting after opening the app.
Guys, if I'm not mistaken only the APP is banned.

The website continues to work.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:26   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Both are not working anymore.

Also, one needs to use VPN for browsing using the website.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:35   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Both are not working anymore.

Also, one needs to use VPN for browsing using the website.
No the website is working fine. Tried it over mobile (Airtel, Vodafone) and local broadband (Hathway). This is in Mumbai.

Buying from AliExpress-screenshot_20201207113326_chrome.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:06   #154
BHPian

Both the app and the web have been restricted. It may work on some internet providers but the government aligned ones like Jio have stopped it and there are multiple reports.

The worst hit are Indian consumers. Recently I spoke to someone who had to pay 12k to repair a laptop screen that costs 3k on Aliexpress. We are returning to the license raj where the custom officer had all sorts of foreign goodies but the rest of the population, including scientists, could not find a spare for their microscope without bribing these overpaid babus.

We should boycott china army brands like Xiaomi, but it is absolutely baffling why cheap OEM products that have almost nil profit margins are being banned while allowing tax paid babus to roam around in cars loaded with chinese tech from all sorts of foreign brands.

Very soon one will see a humongous increase in the cost of repairing phones etc. But it looks like people using those Xiaomi phones from certain states of India are happy with this and want more of the same. Best wishes.

To be honest, SME imports like OEM screens etc are just a drop in the ocean of imports. Plus, India has not made a single fab for semiconductors or solar cells or anything silicon related in the last 20 years.

This import restriction will hurt Indians more than anyone else. People into hobby electronics or even startups like BoAT will be affected. But again, looks like people want a return to the IAS babu inspector raj as per the elections, so we're doing well to progress on that path.

Instead of using government money to get semicon and solar companies to India, we're busy funding ill experienced conglomerates to waste this money. Folks at the most well known solar companies will tell you that their cells are less than competitive even with regards to the cheapest chinese cells. But then, they don't hire IIT B or any other good university to improve this, they hire some MBB consultants to make this data palatable to shareholders, not to do actual work on making the product competitive. The cycle of mediocrity goes on.

It won't be too extreme to see a situation like Cuba with regards to the electronics industry in India.

We celebrate a few hundred folks from Indian origin getting into google or Amazon or Facebook every year but forget that a vast majority of electronics, material science and computer science engineers end up doing nothing to build capabilities to make a LiPo battery or an LED screen or a smartphone chip because there are no companies in India making the same. They end up going abroad, working quite often for Chinese companies who make this stuff.

But of course, chanting atmanirbhar or tweeting it on a Xiaomi phone is the true show of patriotism.

Edit- for people ordering over the web, please avoid as there have been multiple reports of customs officers confiscating stuff. Even essential stuff like laptop or mobike repair parts are being held up and you may bribe these babus but that's never reliable. Best is to overpay for your purchases in the name of atmanirbhar bharat.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 7th December 2020 at 12:27.
Cessna182 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:18   #155
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Both the app and the web have been restricted. It may work on some internet providers but the government aligned ones like Jio have stopped it and there are multiple reports.
The web is working fine for me. May be the Jio wanted only Jiomart in future and this is the first step in the name of patriotism .
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:40   #156
BHPian

Even if the app or web is working, the sellers are not shipping to India. My order just before the ban also got cancelled and the refund is in progress. Make sure to contact the seller before placing the order.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:52   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Even if the app or web is working, the sellers are not shipping to India. My order just before the ban also got cancelled and the refund is in progress. Make sure to contact the seller before placing the order.

Most sellers do have a store on Alibaba as well which is not banned as yet. A lot of listing that I see now on Alibaba as MOQ=1. Indian consumers can use it for time being untill we have a Bangood like alternative that is acceptable to government.
geekyengineer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:03   #158
Senior - BHPian

Webstore does not work - Airtel/BLR. Works on VPN.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:18   #159
BHPian

https://theprint.in/economy/auto-par...-finds/563101/

Get ready for more curbs. We are happy to have a Chinese army supplier like Huawei dominate the telecom networks, a Communist Party supported brand like Xiaomi dominate the smartphone market and again a Chinese army brand like MG sell thousands of SUVs every month.

But it is only the cheaper electronics and accesories that are the problem according to the wisdom of Indian babus. I don't know when they will realize that there has to be a strategy to indigenize stuff. It cannot be a ban on imports when the most critical sectors like telecom are totally dependent on imports and there is not a single LiPo battery maker or a basic silicon circuit fabrication facility in the country.

We will soon see the glorious ancient India depicted in our history books.

By all means, stop the fake Puma shoes and Samsung earphones. Prosecute those sellers. But please don't destroy the DIY and hobby electronics sectors. Please don't force people to buy overpriced imports for 10 times the price with just a box made in India and everything else made in China.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:24   #160
BHPian

Hey guys! I am able to open and login into the AliExpress website as of now, I've ordered gear knob covers for my VW Vento on 18th September this year. The package is yet to be delivered, tracking shows that the package has reached the destination country since 10th October. I now have given up hope on my consignment.

Be careful while ordering high value products from AliExpress, have a chat with the seller and get a confirmation regarding the shipping and customs for the same.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:57   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Please don't force people to buy overpriced imports for 10 times the price with just a box made in India and everything else made in China.
A few years ago, I had read about this hardware seller who was vehemently opposing websites like Aliexpress, Alibaba claiming it was hurting "his" business & India's economy. He had even gone on to extent of petitioning the government for it. A little research later revealed that he was importing the same hardware products from China in bulk and selling at 5-6 times the price mentioned on Chinese websites on Indian e-commerce sites like the then ebay.in & amazon!!!!

Such crooks are the happiest lot today, they get to loot the helpless Indian even more!!!!
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:37   #162
BHPian

Even if the website/app are working, you can't buy. I tried to purchase today and it goes till the end where you put in your card number, but when you press 'place order', a message comes that shipping to your country is restricted, etc etc.
For me, the app loads on my phone, but images are not visible. Website works perfectly, bit in the end, as mentioned above.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:44   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
A little research later revealed that he was importing the same hardware products from China in bulk and selling at 5-6 times the price mentioned on Chinese websites on Indian e-commerce sites like the then ebay.in & amazon!!!!

Such crooks are the happiest lot today, they get to loot the helpless Indian even more!!!!
Won't such people also face difficulties in importing such items from China?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Exactly.

This is not a half hearted affair.

This is for consumers, middlemen and industry. It's a national collective. Not a knee jerk optic.

Tyres are drying up. Both because of rubber additives as well as full imports.

Middlemen who did brisk business in cycle parts and gear have their consigents stuck in customs.

Amazon is selling off its China inventory at a 50% markup. A Victgoal bike headlight that costs 900 from the manufacturer, is being sold for 1499.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 9th December 2020 at 17:14.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:26   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Yes. If "such people" are not connected to the right people in high places. Which also means those who are connected will have less competition - "license raj"! I think the speed with which this consignment was cleared shows the vendor has connections. This is exactly the reason traders want to boycott China, not because the are patriotic - their connections will fetch them greater profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Which consignment? Cheers, Doc
I meant this consignment:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4941801 (Buying from AliExpress)

Last edited by mvadg : 9th December 2020 at 17:39.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks