Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 17:37   #226
BHPian

Re: Buying from AliExpress

Pre-covid I had ordered a small toy drone from AliExpress which got confiscated by the postal customs department and recently I received a notice asking me to pay a penalty for breaking the law. Does anyone know how to go about paying this penalty? Is there a way to do it online given the current situation?
Old 20th January 2022, 09:44   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Pre-covid I had ordered a small toy drone from AliExpress which got confiscated by the postal customs department and recently I received a notice asking me to pay a penalty for breaking the law. Does anyone know how to go about paying this penalty? Is there a way to do it online given the current situation?
I don't think that there is any easy way to get the drone released. If you want to avoid the penalty, you could argue that you did not buy that. I don't think they can easily prove that you bought it
Old 20th January 2022, 13:33   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Pre-covid I had ordered a small toy drone from AliExpress which got confiscated by the postal customs department and recently I received a notice asking me to pay a penalty for breaking the law.
I understand importing of drones without valid license or certificates is not permitted. But didn't know penalties apply, I thought it was mere confiscation. Haven't read anywhere about the penalties anywhere but I could be wrong. Do let us know on the progress!

I ordered a drone sometime back abroad but couldn't bring it yet due to this restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I don't think that there is any easy way to get the drone released. If you want to avoid the penalty, you could argue that you did not buy that. I don't think they can easily prove that you bought it
Drone is definitely not getting released, don't even need to think about it.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 20th January 2022 at 13:36.
Old 20th January 2022, 14:15   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Too late now to say I didn't order it since I asked for a personal representation to convince them that it's a toy drone
The drone is a goner. Now I just need to figure out how to pay the fine and close the matter. I will update here once I figure out and get it done.
sanspatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:24   #230
BHPian

Are they now shipping to India again? I just went to check and don't see the banner anymore. I added a random item, selected my home address and a payment method and there is the option to place order. I didn't place the order as I don't need it, but just wondering if there is a status change.
haridsv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 13:34   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
Are they now shipping to India again? I just went to check and don't see the banner anymore. I added a random item, selected my home address and a payment method and there is the option to place order. I didn't place the order as I don't need it, but just wondering if there is a status change.
No. when you try to make the payment, you will see a notice stating the item can't be shipped to India.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 12:07   #232
BHPian

Came across this article, I dont know how much credibility it has but can anyone confirm this.

This article says goods upto Rs. 10000/- are permitted of which Rs. 2000/- worth can be imported duty free.

Has anyone bought anything from Aliexpress lately.

https://startuptalky.com/aliexpress-buying-rules/

And this one states people getting deliveries after ages.

https://indianexpress.com/article/tr...years-8684225/
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 09:50   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Came across this article, I dont know how much credibility it has but can anyone confirm this.
Down below the same article says.

Quote:
Currently, AliExpress is not available in India and is not delivering here as well.
Last time I checked, AE was not letting me pay when the delivery address was in India, but it let me place an order for address outside India.
d.w.w. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 22:13   #234
BHPian

Quote:

This article says goods upto Rs. 10000/- are permitted of which Rs. 2000/- worth can be imported duty free.

https://startuptalky.com/aliexpress-buying-rules/
The fastest order I received from AliExpress took around 14 days and slowest was over 90 days. Anything post that they will return your money.

My last order on 2020

Buying from AliExpress-ae2.jpg

Current message while placing order, tried with Paypal & Debit Card with international transactions enabled.

Buying from AliExpress-ae.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 15:56   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not AliExpress - but I've bought 2 things from AliBaba in the last 2 months. As long as Aadhar details match the shipping details EXACTLY - it comes through pretty smooth. In my case shipping time was 4 days and 10 days if i remember correct.

Of course there's a fat tax added on too, which the courier partner takes care of and sends you a payment link for.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th July 2023 at 15:57.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 10:28   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not AliExpress - but I've bought 2 things from AliBaba in the last 2 months.
Do they allow buying in small quantities? When I checked AliBaba for some products few years back, there was a minimum order quantity which was too much for my requirement.
Old 12th July 2023, 10:55   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not AliExpress - but I've bought 2 things from AliBaba in the last 2 months. As long as Aadhar details match the shipping details EXACTLY - it comes through pretty smooth. In my case shipping time was 4 days and 10 days if i remember correct.

Of course there's a fat tax added on too, which the courier partner takes care of and sends you a payment link for.
Believe this is a common mandate/process across all ecommerce sites. I recently ordered some stuff from Amazon Japan; the payment included a pre-calculated custom fees and the courier partner was DHL. DHL required me to upload ID & address proofs on their portal and it had to match the shipping address. Once done, the shipping and customs handling was done flawlessly. I even got a minor refund from Amazon citing the pre-calculated custom amount was slightly higher.

Very similar experience with Amazon US and another UK based ecommerce portal (separate transactions) recently. In both case, the products ordered were gifts from relatives overseas; and the shipping partner was India Post; the difference here was there was no ID/address verification nor any customs payment in advance. The postman landed up at our door and asked for the payment (in cash) and we got (kind of) a receipt for the same.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 14:41   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.w.w. View Post
Do they allow buying in small quantities? When I checked AliBaba for some products few years back, there was a minimum order quantity which was too much for my requirement.
Depends on the product & seller -- but I've seen MOQs of 1 ~ 10 for quite a few things.

However, the shipping will usually start high... ~Rs. 1000+. So it depends on how worth it that is for the product!
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 22:37   #239
Team-BHP Support

I’ve got a package from eBay.com from a Chinese seller and they’ve cleverly shipped it using a Malaysian origin address. Got it in 20 days here at Chennai. Was a set of quadlock connector.

Do check eBay.com after entering the destination address. Prices are very reasonable and there are still plenty of dealers shipping to India.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 20:20   #240
BHPian

Has anyone bought anything recently on AliExpress? As they do not ship to India anymore, I was thinking of shipping items to my sister who resides outside India and would be visiting in the next couple of months. But I am facing issue with payments. It is canceling the order the moment I enter Indian CC. Is there any way to bypass this and pay? I tried paypal but it too failed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks